Oilers 3, Hurricanes 5 – Game 28 – 2011-12-07 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes
logo vs. logo
13-11-3 Record 8-17-4
Location: Rexall Place
Date: December 7, 2011 @ 7:30 MST
TV: TSN

After a 3 day break, the Oilers are home to the Carolina Hurricanes. First off, apologies for the awful reminder for the GDT pic. However, there aren’t a lot of good pictures of the Oilers/Hurricanes.

I am disappointed that I won’t be going to this one, because I have some danged training course (that I voluntarily signed up for). Damn it. I won’t even get to watch it live on TV either.

This one should be winnable. I didn’t like how the Oilers liked the last game though, so hopefully that was just one blip on the radar.

Ben Eager returns to the line up, and Devan Dubnyk gets the start tonight.

Prediction: 4-2 Oilers

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Smyth – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Gagner – Horcoff – Hemsky
Paajarvi – Belanger – Jones
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Whitney – Petry
Peckham – Sutton

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

7 Responses to “Oilers 3, Hurricanes 5 – Game 28 – 2011-12-07 @ 7:30 PM MST – TSN”

Dubnyk gets the start tonight.

2. dawgtoy says:

7-2 Oilers IMO.

3. hemmerlady says:

well that was a total clusterf__k. What hurts is we got close to evening it up but then shot ourselves in the foot.

Defense= boo. Eager beaking off at the ref from inside the box=boo, you retard. Gibby taking a ridiculous penalty at the worst possible time=boo. Peckham missing the wide open net= seriously???? What happened to you Pecks? Boo. Discipline=boooooooooo.

Dubey stopping the Skinner penalty shot= yay.

4. John says:

This recent stretch of games is just another example of how shallow this team really is on the depth chart; Hall gets injured & they can’t buy a win :( Here’s hoping they can turn it around against the Avs on Friday or December could be nasty!

I think Renney’s got to take the team back to basics again.

6. Alan-NottsUK says:

I think the issue is with bench management.

Aside from Whitney who you’d have to give a pass to considering he’s played only 11 games in the last 12 months. The vets are looking tired, and the result is an increase in poor play on the ice, but Renney seems to insist on throwing them back out every opportunity, it’s costing the team.

There are 3 things I’d change to try and remedy the fatigue factor which don’t effect 5-5 lines. Use the 4th line more often, just not against the other teams top line like Renney decided to do against Calgary the other night.

Horcoff off the PP

PP lines of:
    Smyth – RNH – Hall – Eberle – Gilbert
    Hemsky – Gagner – MPS – Petry – Whitney

Smyth off the PK.

PK lines of:
    Belanger – Jones
    Horcoff – Lander

or take Horcoff off the PK and keep him on the PP replacing MPS and use Petrell on the PK.

7. John says:

Racki: I’d love to attribute our woes to being without Hall, but I don’t even think that is the reason. He’s a good player, but really, this team has the horses to put up offense.The Nuge is still firing away, and as far as I’m concerned, if an 18 year old can keep doing it, guys like Smytty and Hemsky should be producing nightly too. But hey, that would probably be taking a bit away from how good the Nuge really is. But anyways, in the last 5 games, Smytty has 2 assists (which both came in one game) and Hemsky has 3 pts. I think we all believe that Smytty and Hemmer are the real deal though. But despite those 2 not leading the charge, this team is scoring 3 goals per game on average, sans-Hall. That should be enough. That great, tight defense that they had at the beginning of the seasons seems completely gone though. I think Renney’s got to take the team back to basics again.

You’re right in that we should have enough scoring depth to overcome one injury but my point is we kinda don’t seem to! It’s not that the team as a whole couldn’t possibly compensate for Halls missing goal production, but with him out it drastically reduces our offensive threat dimension on the ice. What I mean is now all the other teams have to do is defend against RNH, Eberle, & Smytty & voila, they win! I don’t think the opposition really worries about Jones, Horcoff, or even Hemmer really; they seem content with letting those guys score a few here & there as long as the main threats are mostly neutralized.

As far as the defence ya, they did seem almost phalanx-like at the start of the year but I think the amount of energy & commitment it takes to play that way day in & day out was a novelty that wore out quickly. It was almost as if after about game #12 they all said, “What… you expect us to do this for 70 more games!?”

Like I said previously I feel this game tomorrow against Colorado could be pivotal to any sort of a success jumping point for the rest of December. As of right now they have 8 games left to play this month & there are only 2 of those games I see as close to probable wins as they will get; the rest will be hard fought wins or rough losses.