Monday Morning Standings

By , November 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Seems Ms. Great One is really good at this twitter thing.

Quarterly report card coming soon!

Oilers News:

Hall out 2-4 weeks from the hit he received against the Avs; Oil change episode 2 was on, I haven’t seen it yet. Apparently Smid is pretty funny and just an all around good dude. I’ll leave it to all of you to provide a review in the comments.

League News:

Big week for news in the rest of the league. In Washington Bruce Boudreau was fired and Hunter hired to replace him, does the team do better?; Paul Maurice fired and Kirk Muller was hired in Carolina; 24/7 preview was on…getting pretty excited. First episode is Dec 14th. Dubinsky and Shelley already tossing around the insults from just the preview, and the first game they were mic’d up resulted in a fight 4 seconds in. Awesome; Pacioretty suspended 3 games for smoking Letang; Flames pick up Comeau off of waivers, Nodl gets picked up by Carolina (and hopefully a full time starting role so I can keep him on my keeper team); Gaustad fought Lucic for honour; Paulina Gretzky no longer is on twitter. A damn shame that is.

Question of the Week:

Peckham was interviewed re: his decision to go after the guy that hit Hall which ended up causing the break that resulted in the goal against. Did he make the right choice? Further, since the other guy declined, do you think the removal of the instigator would have made him let up?

Fight of the Week

I’ve always liked Winchester, so I enjoyed him beating on a Canuck.

That said, I also enjoy watching a Flame get his ass beat so here we go, two this week.

And on to the standings:

Conference

West

The oil are going to need to start putting some wins together here, only 3-7 in the last 10. Plus it’s getting close to the Dec 1 date where the playoffs are mainly set.

East

League

Pools

Keeper

Yahoo

22 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

So I was browsing Hockeyfights.com looking at the top rated fights and low and behold I come across this fight!

(b)Tyler Bunz(/b): That’s right, our very own goalie prospect amongst fights such as Hextall vs. Potvin and Osgood/Vernon vs. Roy. He can not only stop pucks but dish it out too! Good fights leading up to it and both goalies really putting their weight behind the punches. I recommend watching it.

Bunz was invited to Team Canada camp.

Racki: I’ve always been all for removing the instigator too. That’s a tired, old debate now though. People for it have their good reasons, people against it have theirs.

Oh and O’Marra just got called up. Wonder who he’ll be replacing.

Steve-O: I get that, my question was more of a, if it wasn’t there does that hit still take place (or maybe not that hit, but hits like it)?

The guys that want to make their paychecks will still make those hits, I think. I’m sure it would deter some, but I think a guy like Wilson, Clutterbuck, and others would still make all those hits they make.

Although hard to say if they’d still do it after being force fed their teeth by a big nuclear deterrent (a la Semenko) a couple times in our barn after throwing a couple hits on our stars.

I think that removing the instigator would deter the odd guy, yes. But your average guy that makes a living with those edgy hits, like Torres, Clutterbuck, etc… they’d still keep doing it. I guess removing the instigator would just satisfy my sick need to see one of them get their clock cleaned for hitting our stars.

wow, good find, Zack.. hell of a line brawl, and great goalie scrap. Bunz can chuck ‘em.

7. Grass&sOIL says:

Wow Is the Great Ones daughter ever hot!

Those Western Conference standing are real tight. At least we ain’t giving up many loser points.

Steve-O:
    Oh and O’Marra just got called up. Wonder who he’ll be replacing.

My guess is no one. Maybe Lander if he gets a look at all. But really, we have 22 healthy bodies up here right now.

9. Grass&sOIL says:

I hope that during the next CBA negotiations they take a long look at the waiver rules that are in place right now. I think the current system is too some extent responsible for stalling certain players careers. Take today’s recall of Ryan O’Marra. The consensus out there is that Gilbert Brule was more worthy of a recall but because he would have to clear re-entry waivers and be available to any team for 1/2 price.

I am fairly certain that this is why we saw O’Marra’s name today and not Brule’s. I don’t know but maybe teams should be given a few waiver exemptions ever year.

10. hemmerlady says:

Vancouver has passed us in the standings. Apparently now i have to get down from my high-and-mighty horse. Felt good while it lasted.

We are quickly approaching .500, in a bad way. I never thought last year we’d be playing above .500 to have the chance to worsen to it, that’s for sure. Pleaaaase let our record improve.

Completely off course here….

Terry Jones revisited the Pronger trade in this article. I’m sure this has been done to death elsewhere (and actually I just brought it up somewhere.. the forum?.. a few days ago), but here’s where it stands now:

Chris Pronger for Jordon Eberle, Ladislav Smid, Colten Teubert, Martin Marincin, Oscar Klefbom, Cameron Abney

Seems pretty impressive when you put it that way. One hot shot forward prospect (Eberle), 1 solid NHL stay-at-home, physical d-man (Smid), 2 high end defense prospects (Klefbom and Marincin), and then a long shot project defensive/phsyical d-man (Teubert) and a tough guy (Abney).

I’d say that deal looks a shit load better now.

12. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:
    Completely off course here….

I’d say that deal looks a shit load better now.

I saw that earlier too. It is a lil bit of a stretch as there were a lot of variables involved to get to that final list of players but still a fun article to read.

It took a while but that trade looks better every day. Imagine if the Ducks did not win the Cup in 2007…..No Jordan Eberle??? Is this correct because if the Ducks won the Cup shouldn’t we have had the 30th overall pick and not the 22nd overall??? I must be missing something.

Yah actually I just thought about it, and while he mentions it earlier, in the bottom line, he completely omits that we had to also give up a 1st and 2nd (in addition to the 3rd we acquired from Anaheim) to sign Penner to an offer sheet. So that part is also going the other way in the long list of players we acquired.

Still yet though, I know we gave up a hell of a player (let’s face it.. hate him all you want.. Pronger is an awesome D-man), but we got some good players in the long run, despite the fact we were destined to be screwed in that deal.

Yeah, this was all over twitter, and as a few pointed out there one of the picks we gave up via the Penner offer sheet happened to be Tyler Myers…oof.

On the other hand, in lieu of Myers, we got Klefbom, Teubert and a YTBD 2nd rounder this year in return for Penner, so that could still really turn out in favor long term or all three could be total busts….either way though, all things considered, I think we did alright long term in the Pronger trade.

I was thinking that she should be our girl this week. Damn she’s hot unlike my teams…

Who’s next for coaches? Sacco, Martin, Sutter, whoever coaches the Isles, somebody else?

The Isles are screwed, and I bet Capuano (spelling?) sticks around even though the problems with that team are GM + owner if you ask me.

Sutter and the Columbus dude are next up I would think.

17. Grass&sOIL says:

Using Terry Jones’s trade logic We got Tom Gilbert for Mats Lindgren and an 8th round draft pick (Radek Martinek) since that is what we gave up to get Tommy Salo :)

I found this great list of the Oilers all time trades ( http://oilfans.com/allTimeTrades.php ) and it’s kind of fun to go back and trace the roots of how we got certain players.

Here is another fun one- 1979-08-09 Dave Semenko traded by Minnesota with 3rd round pick in 1979 (Mark Messier) for 2nd (Neal Broten) and 3rd (Kevin Maxwell) round picks in 1979 which turned into…… ugh you get the picture(what a great trade though!!!)

18. oilinblood says:

Racki: On Peckham, I say absolutely wouldn’t take back his decision to try and start a scrap and send a message. First we’re all pissed that teammates never stand up for each other, now we’re pissed when they do… I know people will probably say that he should have picked his moments better, and that is definitely a valid point. But I’m pretty tired of this team being pushed around. I have no qualms with Peckham trying to stand up for a teammate. I’ve always been all for removing the instigator too. That’s a tired, old debate now though. People for it have their good reasons, people against it have theirs. In the end, it didn’t really make a difference (well, I guess you never know), but I’d never discourage a player from standing up for another teammate. But I concede too that he could have waited for a chance later in the game, but it’s not too often that defensemen get to go up against each other.

I like that peckham did what he did. As far as the instigator? the easy answer is i hate it but its not as black and white as cherry makes it out. i think some games would get circus like, if it wasnt for the fact the two guys have to agree. on the other hand if ribeiro is two hand cross checking smid in the ribs 4 times along the boards (which happened in dallas) with quite alot of intentional force… i think smid should be able to tear his head off. thats just me. i thought the dallas game was a very poorly officiated game, probably the worst of the year. But i would also say that our response as a team that game was as if we were a bunch of figure skaters. it was a pathetic showing.

i believe whatever your reaction is to do… you actually do it. so peckham should have just beat on the guy. if you want to engage just do it and take the instigator. if you are gonna take a number, make sure you tag him good later. but decide fast so playy can be blown dead. This whole asking to fight thing just doesnt work.

So word is that Bobby Ryan is on the verge of being traded… as in, trade coming tonight possibly.

20. oilinblood says:

any clue who might be the buyer? i like ryan

21. Ktown says:

1. Good on Pecks. Send a message. Live with the goal against. Team toughness sends a better message than a 1 goal lead.

2. Paulina, Paulina, Paulina… God Bless the Great One and Janet Jones for creating that. I’ll admit, I was following her… damn…

3. Pronger for Ebs and Smid – you had me at hello…. add in prospects like Marancin and Klefbom? easy sell.

3a. Penner for Myers? ugh…

4. Bobby Ryan for sale? Yikes… Hemmer, Gags (it hurts, he’s still nowhere near his ceiling, but you gotta give to get) and a pick. I’d do it…

5. Keeper League – Heatwave on a roll!!! Whoo hoo! If you can’t stand the Heat….

22. Grass&sOIL says:

Mike Grier retired today.

This Guy was one of my fav players in the 90′s. Not the most skilled guy but he gave it his all, every single shift & was an awesome 3rd line player. The fact that he scored more SH goals(20) then PP goals(16) just shows what type of player he was.

-9th round pick in 1993, retires with more points than the #1 overall pick that year, Alexandre Daigle.

Congrats on a solid Career Mike. You will always be an Oiler in my heart!!!