Oilers 2, Avalanche 5 – Game 23 – 2011-11-26 @ 5:00 PM MST – CBC

Edmonton Oilers at Colorado Avalanche
logo at logo
12-8-2 Record 9-12-1
Location: Pepsi Center
Date: Movember 26, 2011 @ 5:00 MST
TV: CBC

The Oilers have won 2 of 3 games on this road trip so far (4-1 loss to Dallas, 6-2 win against Nashville, and 5-2 win vs. Minnesota). They’ve also seemed to have found their scoring touch, having scored 12 goals in those 3 games. I expect that we’ll see another good game tonight. The Oilers took the only meeting of the season between these two (also in Colorado) by a score of 3-1. The Nuge also seems to bring out his A game most when on CBC. I assume that is just blind luck, however.

Speaking of the Nuge, he’s still tied for first in team points and is on a point-per-game pace. His 24 points in 22 games puts him 8 points ahead of the closest rookie, Craig Smith of the Nashville Predators. I know the pace will have to slow down eventually, this season, but it doesn’t seem like it ever will. He’s looking better out there both offensively and defensively (despite being stripped of the puck on one of the Wild’s goals last night). This kid was the right choice.

Other “heroes” on the season… Ladislav Smid is still leading the league in shots blocked, while Nikolai Khabibulin is 4th in GAA and 2nd in SV%. Peckham is still trying to find his stride, and so is Whitney. I am anxious to see what happens once those two are back to their peak form.

Dubnyk should play this one tonight, although I don’t predict any other roster changes tonight.

OILERS LINES

Smyth – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Hall – Horcoff – Hemsky
Jones – Belanger – Gagner
Petrell/Paajarvi – Lander – Eager

Smid – Gilbert
Whitney – Petry/Plante
Peckham – Teubert

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

11 Responses to “Oilers 2, Avalanche 5 – Game 23 – 2011-11-26 @ 5:00 PM MST – CBC”

Potential roster changes tonight… Paajarvi may play, in place of Petrell. Also, Alex Plante has been recalled, as Jeff Petry isn’t feeling well. He will be a game time decision.

2. dawgtoy says:

Gagner, my belief is your non-scoring bubble gets burst tonight. 4-1Oil with 2 Gino’s for little Samwise the Brave. Hope RNH continues his tradition of thrilling the national audience. GOilers.

Well, Gagner did have a good game, but the majority of the team looked pretty flat.

Taylor Hall will have an MRI on his shoulder on Monday.

Had a Christmas party to go to so I missed the game. Not too happy to see the clips of Hall being injured. Hope it’s not serious but it didn’t look good, especially given the history of Oilers and shoulders.

The Taylor Tyler debate will no doubt get some fuel from this. I wanted Hall all along, but damn, Tyler is having an awesome season.

I still think we made the right choice. If Seguin was lighting it up for the Predators, I might be a bit concerned, but he’s lighting it up in a conference that’s known for bringing out the best in offensive systems. There’s nothing to say that his good season would translate on our team either.

I think Seguin is a great player, but I’m happy with our choice. Injuries suck, and Hall definitely needs to be aware of his surroundings more… but it comes with the territory of being a gritty player like that, I suppose. He was just starting to find his game too.

8. hemmerlady says:

awww, fack… please let Hallsy’s shoulder be okay. Ne pas de Hemmer-esque shoulder B.S. Enough of that.

9. Grass&sOIL says:

Epic fail one again on the part of our medical and coaching staff. Sorry but you do not take chances on franchise players. A highly competitive player like Hall is gonna try his best to play through the pain and say he is all right but the medical and coaching staff needs to play it safe and at least give him the night off. As soon as I saw him back on the ice I said he should not be back in the game.

I agree Racki. Put Lucic, Bergeron, Chara, Krejcinand the best offense in the East and throw in Hall…..same or better results as Seguin.

11. Ktown says:

Grass&sOIL:

I’m not doctor, but I’ve had my share of shoulder issues in the past. I’m thinking the original was a dislocation, not a separation – so, they probably popped it back in and gave him the cortisone pain killer. My guess is they asked Taylor if he thought it was ok and he said yes. You’re not keeping that horse out of the race short of shooting him in the head.

My guess is TD probably had reservations, and told Taylor so. Probably something along the lines of – “if that comes out again, you’re sitting”. Honestly – dislocation, plenty of players have popped it back in and kept going, no problems. I wouldn’t see a reason in this case why the physician/trainer (and his NHL experience) would see anything different on this one than any other dislocation.

Anyways, two shifts later, Hallsy takes the cross check and POP – out it comes. You can see as he skates to the bench, he gives the head shake to either the trainers or the coach.

I don’t blame the staff on this one – Hallsy’s a tough kid, and he wanted to keep going. For a popped back shoulder, I would’ve let him go too. Also, remember this is the kid that got driven face first into the end boards and then came back to score the GWG at the Memorial Cup. He’s got a history of being pretty tough and resilient.

I’ll wait to see what the MRI says. Unfortunately, if a shoulder pops in and out easily, it could mean surgery.