Oilers 9, Blackhawks 2 – Game 19 – 2011-11-19 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks
logo vs. logo
9-7-2 Record 12-5-3
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Movember 19, 2011 @ 8:00 MST
TV: CBC

It’s been less than a week since we last played the Blackhawks, and it was an ungraceful 6-3 loss. Tonight we’ll be without the services of a couple important d-pieces in Andy Sutton and Cory Potter (although we probably wouldn’t have called them important before season the started, they sure are now). Colton Teubert has been called up, and Taylor Chorney has been claimed off waivers, and they will be filling the void, at least for tonight. Khabibulin gets the start tonight, and I’m not really sure that’s the smartest idea at all. He hasn’t been bad, for the most part, but he also hasn’t been that same goalie that started the season and was stealing games for us. Plus, it’s tough to justify putting in a guy that just allowed 6 goals against this very same team less than a week ago.

The Oilers might play a better game against the Hawks tonight to start (much like the Senators), but I still figure a crappy loss, especially with our 3rd d-pairing now our send pairing.

Prediction: 5-2

OILERS LINES

Smyth – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Paajarvi – Gagner – Hemsky
Hall – Horcoff – Jones
Lander – Belanger – Eager

Smid – Gilbert
Peckham – Petry
Chorney – Teubert

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

19 Responses to “Oilers 9, Blackhawks 2 – Game 19 – 2011-11-19 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

1. dawgtoy says:

Khabibulin stands on his head and steals another win tonight. RNH continues his HNIC fist pump as well, therefore I predict a 4-2 win.

2. Alan-NottsUK says:

I’m still debating whether to wait up till 3am for this or not.

Only missed about 15 minutes of Oiler hockey so far, but it’s been a long day and we have a 2nd pairing + AHL defence out against toews kane and the rest of the hawks, it’s kinda scary

3. hemmerlady says:

I dunno Dawg, I’m kinda worried that Khabi is no longer playing like the “Russian Robot-hybrid, the No-Goalski 5000″ as MrGod says. But I like your prediction, let’s stick with it.

I have concerns that the Hawks will be starving for redemption, having been recently blown out by the floundering flamers.

4. hemmerlady says:

or it will be a total sleighride, with Hallsy holding the reins.

Wow. I watched this from the pending in laws, so couldn’t get online. But fucking fantastic game. Glad I dressed khabi in Yahoo pool despite my better judgement

SHAZAM!

Anyone else think Gagner is our version or Tyler Arneson? I have never been sold on this kid. He is an asset we should move for a D-man or a guy like Tuommo Ruutu in a package. Maybe a first.

Maybe not Tyler Arneson, but certainly not much better than Cogs in my view. Hopefully he shows something because I have already moved on from the idea of him being part of any longterm success here. Sorry Racki.

Fantastic win. Maybe Gags finds a new groove. I hope so.

Racki:

Something you wanna share?

chucker: Something you wanna share?

No, nothing to share :P More of an inside joke.

10. Alan-NottsUK says:

well that was an awesome game, thankfully gamecenter lets me watch full games the next day, and it also hides scores :D

11. dawgtoy says:

Coming off the Sens game, last night was awesome.
    Pääjärvi is destined for a trip to OKC. He has to learn to use his size. That play when he skates in on the wing, then rather then drive the net, he decides to skate behind the net is exactly what has to change for him.
    Matheson alludes to NYI needing a C to play behind Tavares, and Okposo resently being a healthy scratch. Many alluding to Gagner to Chicago to play with his buddy and former teammate Kane. My two cents is a D must be coming the other way if a deal is to be had. Secondary to that would obviously have to be size/grit.

I like Chucker’s thoughts of Gagner for Tuomo Ruutu. However Ruutu has been outscoring Gagner and brings a lot more to the table than Gagner does, so that deal wouldn’t happen… at least not yet. Not until Gagner finally breaks out (should it happen).

But yah, that’s the kind of deal I’d be looking for with him.. or a bonafide 2-way, top pairing d-man. Not that Gagner alone would get that… but with some obvious deal sweetening, of course.

The Oilers should have traded away their 1st rounder before this game. :lol: I think many teams would have treated it like it was a #2 overall.

My only worry is that if we trade Gagner, who is going to be our #2C in 3yrs? Belanger/Horc will be 35+, on the wings we are fine for depth, still have guys coming up and showing promise but what about center?

We have a few centres in the system. If you look at players that SHOULD make it in the next few years, you have Martindale, Pitlick, Hamilton, Hartikainen, Omark, Tryvainen and a host of others like Teubert, Petry, Roy and Bunz.

Somewhere in there is either parts to replacing guys or acquiring guys we want and need. Also winning helps get free agents.

Lander, Vandevelde, Pitlick I see all as 3/4C’s but you’re right winning definitely helps. At this moment it just doesn’t look like we have any C’s in the system that could develop into a top 1/2talent that can play behind RNH, assuming all goes well. *KNOCKS ON WOOD*

I always thought about getting Stoll back but his age could be a factor and the fact that our relationship with Lombardo seems to be tarnished. If we move Gagner, I think it needs to be a lateral move getting another young quality center in return.

I agree too that there isn’t really depth at center on this team beyond the Nuge and Gagner.. at least for youth. That is definitely a point to consider!

I wonder though still about Lander and Pitlick though, if they have a chance at being a #2 center. Especially Lander. He may not look like it yet, but it’s hard to know for sure. Pitlick hasn’t really had his chance yet either. Although he isn’t exactly lighting it up for OKC right now.

But as before, it’s still an area where we need improvement.

17. Grass&sOIL says:

The Nuge just makes things so much easier for everyone that is on the ice at the same time as him, case and point is the Gilbert goal where Nuge and Ebs(I think) were playing catch behind the net before Gilbert snuck up into the play. It should not be that easy.

To me, if Sam Gagner is your number two centre, you are in trouble. He cannot win a faceoff to save his life and is a soft player.

Rumour is that Carter hates Columbus. Just a thought, but his alleged issues give me cause for concern.

I will have to check cap geek to see who is available this summer.

19. oilinblood says:

well that columbus 1st looks pretty attractive.
    i have never been big on carter but as far as richards is concerned careter likes to go out on occassion (not torres or mironov like) and get his drink on. he didnt sign the white board in philly and apparently wasnt close with most of the people in the dressing room. now i cant say if things would change here but i can say that our mix in the room seems to be alot different. he could gel or he could be basically booted from the group if horc-smyth-hemmer-gilbert feel he has a bad attitude (what is trade value on a guy on his 3rd trade in a couple years).

ive never been big on him as a player and “issues” need to be analyzed deeply. as a note i dont care if carter goes out and parties on occasion… just be a pro about it.