Oilers 1, Senators 5 – Game 18 – 2011-11-17 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNET EDM

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs Ottawa Senators
logo at logo
9-6-2 Record 9-9-1
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Movember 17, 2011 @ 7:30 MST
TV: SNET ONE

Well, it’s officially a winter wonderland here now. The hockey season can start for real now. What Oilers team will we see tonight? The one that has been near perfect in the early goings? Or the one that has seemingly forgotten what they were doing during that time. The long rodeo road trip is over, finally time for a home game… let’s hope that the Oilers get things back on track starting now. Taylor Hall has been suffering without a goal for 8 games now. Perhaps with Tom Renney being able to get the match up he wants, Hall might start scoring again. I’m not sure if that really is even the problem, or if he’s just suffering from a plain old sophomore jinx. At any rate, I hope he snaps out of it soon, as this team really needs him to score. On the flip side, this team really needs Nikolai Khabibulin to making those impossible saves again, as he’s looked more mortal as of late.

Tonight Sam Gagner will watch from the press box. Anton Lander draws back in on the fourth line, with Ben Eager and Lennart Petrell playing book-ends. Eric Belanger bumps back up to line 3, with Magnus Paajarvi and Ryan Jones manning the wings. The rest of the line up remains untouched.

Prediction: I’m starting to think I’m bad luck. I’ll just keep it quiet tonight and we’ll see what happens.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Hemsky
Smyth – Horcoff – Eberle
Paajarvi – Belanger – Jones
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Sutton – Potter
Peckham – Petry

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

9 Responses to “Oilers 1, Senators 5 – Game 18 – 2011-11-17 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNET EDM”

1. Russ Betteridge says:

Watch Ryan Jones carefully tonight and in the future…He is the one who should be in the press box or put on waivers!

2. oilinblood says:

bad luck? well the detroit and chicago games were the only 2 games that i didnt watch live so far so i feel some responsibility for the losses. I watched them via pvr later but the hockey gods may not like that.
    nikolai still played good goal for the oil in those losses. I saw a very weak defense versus chi and detroit that i felt allowed alot more plays to be made in point blank areas. we were outshot alot during our run but for the most part we had kept teams to the outside. part of me thinks its the defense saying the goalie will probably stop the play if they let seabrook skate in full speed unmolested. the other part of me just thinks teams realized gilberts a wimp so play his side.
    i like our lineup tonight. i still would like to see how lander can do with magnus but this may be as close to my chosen lineup as i get so i dont think i will get picky (other than some injuries still).

i will just add that this is a good ROAD line combo set for the oilers. Hemsky and RNH had some interesting chemistry against the penguins when they were still unfamiliar with eachother. It was the first time i had seen hemsky dish pucks to a linemate without carrying it 20 feet first…since he played with samsonov. THAT in itself is a good sign. i am hoping to see some more hemsky-rnh chemistry and hall needs to realize he has two people that can dangle so he should just move the puck and get open in sniper zones for those crisp saucer feeds. with his linemates and home ice advantage he has a great chance to get out of his funk if he plays with the intelligence to realize 2+2=4 and basic hockey intelligence.
    Eberle and horcoff have worked before and smyth will win the boards and net presence.
    i dont believe belanger brings out the strengths of magnus and paajarvi could be moved by years end if all we are trying to do is turn him into a checker. id rather move him than see him destroyed.

3. oilinblood says:

now the edit feature appears so edited.

4. hemmerlady says:

oh noo…looks like tonight was a “shut ‘er off” game (shut the tv off because it just hurts)?

I’m starting to wake up from a wonderful, wonderful dream of this season being astronomically better than last year’s, which was totally FUBAR.

Well, let’s see if we can pick up our socks…

5. oilinblood says:

i said it at the beginning of the season; the sens will be fun to watch. They also have a great coach…. who knows how to work his bench in-game.

RNH makes me do a walken “wow” every game. He is heads and shoulders the best draft pick we have had in the last two decades. The kid has won me over 100%. he shoots when it makes sense (when that is the best option), he finds the weak spots in coverage, dogged back checking, better dishes than his linemates deserve, great at the cycle, more powerful than his weight dictates ala kane. The play rarely ever ends on rnh’s stick and usually he is there to cover another boobs mistake. best centre that has been here since my favorite oiler of all time dougie weight. we need a guerin, a one track minded shooter.

to me hall needs to be like kariya. kariya always said if he wasnt getting at least 5 shots a night, that he wasnt being the player the team needed. Hall needs to be that guy. eberle should also try to be that guy. let hemmer and rnh do their jobs and be ready. we have all the makings of a good team if players actually play to their strengths and leave the skill to the experts.

tough night for the defense but i am wondering who hands in their resignation for not having a call up on the ready?

7. oilinblood says:

zackman35: How many D are we down now? If ST is serious about competing then he’s going to look and seek out a deal for a legitimate D-man. I hate to say it but with all these injuries to our already fragile blue-line and these nasty sophomore slumps… Well whatever ST does these next few weeks could dictate our entire season. I feel bad the team, it was getting quite exciting watching wings being strung together.

bryan allen in carolina is playing decent on a terrible team. if potter is down our right side gets very weak again. as far as i remember allen was playing a bit of the right in fla and did well. he is a left shot but like i said he has played right comfortably.

Well, the Gagner rumours are all out again. I sure would like to see the all Swede line again.

oilinblood:

Just as a heads up, Sutton tweaked the groin in the warmup but was otherwise ready to go. Probably should have had someone on standby anyways, but I figure they were trying to get them one more game in with OKC.

Anyways, The Nuge. Absolutely agree. This kid is a pleasure to watch. I am disappointed that Hall is in a terrible slump, but more for his sake. The sophomore jinx can be a powerful thing. I hope he gets past it soon. As for Nugent-Hopkins, you said it best. The kid also is a very smart goal scorer too… he’s not just a playmaker. He can finish quite well on his own. I thought he was going to have a goal yesterday. Almost did. I thought “if anyone is going to put it in, it’ll be RNH”. Not quite, but close. Anyways, I like that at age 18 he can do it all in a game… score, set up plays, defend well… good kid to have for sure, and I agree that he’s likely the best draftee in a long long time.