Oilers 3, Canadiens 1 – Game 14 – 2011-11-08 @ 5:30 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Montreal Canadiens
logo at logo
8-3-2 Record 5-6-2
Location: Bell Centre
Date: Movember 8, 2011 @ 5:30 MST
TV: SNETW

Magnus Paajarvi sits. That’s the story tonight. No wait.. the story is that Ales Hemsky returns to the line up. Both are big deals, in my opinion. Paajarvi has struggled this season. He has 1 assist in 13 games. Really, there is no way to sugar coat that. It’s downright awful. A view from the press box is in order. AHL time may even be in order. Not as a punishment, of course, but he might be having a tough time playing 3rd line minutes and he may have lost his confidence. I wouldn’t put him anywhere near Linus Omark though right now.

Anyways, back to the good… Cam Barker also returns to action tonight. Our defensive pairings will get a bit of a boost by that news. The old Smyth/Horcoff/Hemsky line will be reunited again, to which Hemsky is quite excited. Our 3rd line might finally be able to score. It looks pretty bleak on paper, but I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys work their butts off and score a couple tonight.

I always like when the Oilers play the Canadiens. The Canadiens were once a second favorite of mine. They aren’t so much now, although I’ll cheer for them in the playoffs when the Oilers are out. But the other reason I like to play them, is they often bring out the best in our team and make for some exciting games.

Prediction: 4-0 Oilers

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Hemsky
Jones – Belanger – Gagner
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Barker – Potter
Peckham – Petry

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

8 Responses to “Oilers 3, Canadiens 1 – Game 14 – 2011-11-08 @ 5:30 PM MST – SNETW”

1. mrgod2u says:

Hemsky plays tonight, Jones to 3rd line, Magnus a healthy scratch, as per Sportsnet

GDT is up.. moved your post over here, Mrgod2u

Sitting MPS is a good idea. He has had an awful start not unlike Gagner under Quinn. He knows it. Sometimes watching the game with the coaches can really help. I would not be opposed to some time in OKC either.

4. dawgtoy says:

I actually like the look of this line-up. I have no problems with the top two lines, still not sold on Gagner as a right winger though. I think Belanger and Jones might work out together as well. Here’s hoping Hemsky and Hall light it up against Les Canadiens. 4-2 Oilers tonight. Will be a Hall of a game I hope.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

I really think Gagner can do well at RW, his major problem has always been his D and faceoffs, his offence has never really been in question and his best season(point wise) was his rookie year where he played RW.

He looked a lot stronger and faster in pre-season, so hopefully he’s going to be back to that strength and speed soon.

6. Dman09 says:

Well I would like to point out that so far this season it hasn’t mattered who has been on the third line there hasn’t been point production so we shouldn’t be surprised if Gagner doesn’t put up as many points there. I think we also need to remember that when gagner is putting up points its mainly with top six guys. Just a thought. I do think that a third line role could help to improve his defensive game.

Only caught the last period but the fourth line has looked exceptional. They remind me of a “good teams'” forth line. As for the third line, ouch it’s pretty tough looking in the stats column for them as most of you have mentioned. Maybe give Gags some time playing with Smyth/Hemsky if we’re up by two?

A great feeling that I haven’t had since I was quite young, at the time I didn’t really know what was what though but we are still doing fine in the standings and its not the first two nights of games played… Good job OIL! Still would be nice to have a healthy top pairing D-man though…

EDIT: We have some pleasant surprises this season, Khabi + Potter, is anyone else really liking Smid’s game lately? He’s never really stood out too much, besides his humour, but this year he seems to be playing exceptional, is he finally approaching his ceiling? =]

*KNOCK ON WOOD*

8. hemmerlady says:

I can’t remember the last time I was this happy as an Oiler fan. Okay yes I do, it was the 06 cup run, when we kept picking off President’s Trophy winners and the like. In an ideal world, Whit would be back in the lineup.

But honestly – we only got 14 shots on goal and still won, Khabi is standing on his head, and we’re leading our division. I remain in a state of amazement.

One of the hockeycentral guys was going on about how the lottery line were playing keep away with the Montreal Canadiens and that he expects to see 10 more years of awesome from them.

Early in the season to be excited yet, there’s a lot of hockey to be played…but I am optimistic. (added bonus: Flamers lost again, Iggy accused Johnson of head-butting him in a fight and gets him ejected from the game, while the commentators insist it wasn’t a head-butt – it’s all so amusing)