Oilers 3, Kings 0 – Game 12 – 2011-11-03 @ 8:30 PM MST – SNET W

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at LA Kings
logo vs logo
7-2-2 Record 6-3-2
Location: Staples Center
Date: Movember 3, 2011 @ 8:30 MST
TV: SNET WEST

Who’s in LA, has 2 thumbs and is excited about seeing the Oilers play? Not this guy, but the Oilers have been tweeting incessantly about Kevin Smith lately. Maybe we’ll see Mean Gene get the Silent Bob treatment.

The kid line, aka diaper snipers, are pretty excited about being in LA too. Sounds like they don’t get much time to travel in junior. Hopefully they act like they own the place instead of appearing to be lost tourists. This is the first of 4 against the Kings this season, and yet another team that swept the series last season. I predict a lot less of that this year, but the Kings will be a solid test for the upstart Oilers that have so far this year turned things around pretty much 360. This will also be Ryan Smyth’s first visit back to LA since the trade and another King has been recalled. Teubert will draw in tonight as Plante has been re-assigned to OKC(Thanks Shauna!).

The Oilers play of late need not be described here, but as you know, it’s been great. We’re pulling the Ravens so far with solid defence winning us games. Our goal tending has been stellar and our D-Corp has been representing even with Whitney down and Barker in and out. I had no idea we had a little depth on D, but Potter has been a big part of that along with solid play by Smid.

The Kings are coming off a couple of losses and get some home cooking for the next little while playing their next 6 of 7 in LA. Hall’s nemesis Doughty is back in the line up, so that will be one of the match ups to watch tonight. Quick vs. the Oil Offence will be another match up. He’s had 3 shutouts already and the Oilers will have to work hard to best him.

Both teams have been winning on defence with offence looking for a little more output. Regardless, I’m still expecting a high flying affair tonight.

Khabibulin gets the start tonight and both Barker and Teubert took the morning skate today. Will post lines when I hear something official.

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Jones
Paajarvi – Belanger – Gagner
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Smid – Gilbert
Petry – Potter
Teubert – Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Please use the comments section to make comments (for posterity’s sake), rather than the chat box, until the game starts.
Chat is currently closed.

48 Responses to “Oilers 3, Kings 0 – Game 12 – 2011-11-03 @ 8:30 PM MST – SNET W”

1. Shauna says:

Plante is back with OKC and Teubert is playing tonight.

2. Trogdor says:

Thanks Shauna, I’ll update the post. Didn’t catch wind of Plante going down. Must not have been tweet worthy of the Oilers. Will be nice to get a look at Teubert. Hopefully he makes the Kings regret the Penner deal even more so.

3. Alan-NottsUK says:

no one on here to start up the chat?

Guess we’ll have to pad our post counts and chat the old fashioned way. Given that the broadcast sounds like it is being done over ham radio I guess that is appropriate.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

i’m using the kings feed, already seeing bad refs in this game and it’s not even 10 minutes old yet

6. Alan-NottsUK says:

god damnit that was an awesome stop

I’ve missed most of the period so far. Did a double take hearing Gagner to Penner, shoots on Bulin! Then remembered Gagne is with LAK.

8. Alan-NottsUK says:

yeah that’s gonna get confusing

9. Alan-NottsUK says:

I’m liking Paajarvi so far this game, he’s gonna get himself his first point tonight

Hope so, would be a big boost to his confidence.

Wow, just saw Clutterbuck punch a linesman by mistake in the Wild-Nucks game. Rocked him good.

12. Alan-NottsUK says:

has sportsnet fixed itself yet?

No – I switched to the Kings feed

Goal!! Smitty from behind the net!!

15. Alan-NottsUK says:

they don’t seem to be getting too many Oiler player names right on the kings feed

To a chorus of booos, ha ha.

17. Alan-NottsUK says:

Smyth!

18. Alan-NottsUK says:

looks like i’m about a minute behind again lol

19. Alan-NottsUK says:

what the hell LA has such an easy november schedule, they don’t have to travel at all, the only road games are san jose and anahiem

Yep, you’re on a delay. You’re about to be happy again…

21. Alan-NottsUK says:

petrell’s first NHL goal

22. Alan-NottsUK says:

apparently not Petrell’s, Lander’s first NHL goal!

Oh man, some panel guy has the hots for Hazel Mae. Haha and no GDChat?

24. Alan-NottsUK says:

Nope no GDChat, so this blog comment thread is gonna be pretty full by the time the game ends :p

25. Alan-NottsUK says:

oh look Moreau still takes dumb 3rd period penalties

26. Alan-NottsUK says:

apparently the 2nd goal has been changed back to Petrell

27. Alan-NottsUK says:

shut out!

28. hemmerlady says:

wahoo! i’m riding this “win” train as far as it will go.

29. Trogdor says:

Sorry about the lack of chat. Wallyball night. Meant to enable it before going out. Aside from that, sweet victory when secondary scoring is the factor. Young guns won’t get the good match ups on the road so that’s nice to see. How did Teubert look tonight?

Oh yeah. Trogdor even asked me if I could do it. Whoops.

Good win. 3 stars are kinda indicative of the season so far. With defense like this we won’t need goaltending.

Teubert looked ok. Kids had some moments but will need to get used to the tough match ups.

I really can’t wait for Hemsky to be put with Horcoff and Smyth.

6 in a row! Gotta love it. I fell asleep though so missed most of the 3rd. 11:30pm start was a killer. Woke up at 4:30am to go to bed, ha!

32. Alan-NottsUK says:

2:30am start was fine for me :p

Steve-O:

I really can’t wait for Hemsky to be put with Horcoff and Smyth.

I was really looking forward to that too, but something a poster over at lowetide said really got my mind churning…

Jones with them has looked pretty decent, that trio has been very effective, so why mess with it…then you could make a line like Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky, and if they got any sort of chermistry going than holy shit that really seems like some awesome shit…

Still put out thee Horc/Smyth/Jones line out against the toughs, than roll our other two scoring lines, and the fourth line looks to be geting better and better every game…I’m really pleased with all three of Eager/Lander/Petrell the deeper we get into the season, although, I”d probably send Lander to OKC for more seasoning and Belanger takes the 4th line C job.

As mush as I love the idea of Hemmer back with Smyth/Horc, I have to admit on paper that top three lines of

Hall/RNH/Eberle
    MP/Gagner/Hemsky
    Smyth/Horcoff/Jones

looks a lot more intriguing line match up wise than any alternatives…

anyone elses thoughts?

I don’t know…honestly I think Jones is barely keeping up. I keep seeing him do things like dump it in when Smyth is waiting wide open for the pass, or missing defensive assignments. Honestly, I think that with Hemsky reunited with Horcoff and Smyth, they would be your power vs. power first line (I know, sacrilege to not have the diaper snipers as the first line), and keep throwing the kids out against weaker competition.

Drop Jones (as he does have a nose for the net) to that 3rd line with Paajarvi and Gagner, and they should do fine. Actually, if I was running the team I’d probably bring Omark up to the 3rd line and drop either Lander or Petrell back to OKC. But that’s just me.

35. DropIt says:

Wow.

I still dont think the Oilers are going to be taking a top 4 spot in the playoffs, but I think they may beat my playoff appearance prediction a year earlier. Sucks to watch as a Flames fan , but hard to argue that the Oilers and their fans dont deserve a team like this after going through what they have for the past 5 years

36. NorwegianOiler says:

Even for just a month, I’ve been a happy hockey fan pretty much throughout :D

There’s puck support.
    There’s backchecking.
    There are active sticks.
    There’s a penalty kill.
    There are few secondary opportunities around our net.

There’s a great difference from seasons past so far.

And Corey Potter is a poised marvel.

Steve-O:
    I don’t know…honestly I think Jones is barely keeping up.I keep seeing him do things like dump it in when Smyth is waiting wide open for the pass, or missing defensive assignments.Honestly, I think that with Hemsky reunited with Horcoff and Smyth, they would be your power vs. power first line (I know, sacrilege to not have the diaper snipers as the first line), and keep throwing the kids out against weaker competition.

Drop Jones (as he does have a nose for the net) to that 3rd line with Paajarvi and Gagner, and they should do fine.Actually, if I was running the team I’d probably bring Omark up to the 3rd line and drop either Lander or Petrell back to OKC. But that’s just me.

Ah shit, forgot about Belanger too…

Then I’d leave the third line as Paajarvi/Gagner/Belanger (they’ve played well) and move Jones down to 4 still. Leave Omark down (which kills me, he should be up here) and send down one of the 4th line kids.

Eager has played well though. Wonder what the hell happens when Hordichuk gets back.

38. NorwegianOiler says:

Hordichuk is not a hockey player, I say he gets waived the minute the NHL roster is ‘full’.

Guys, just as a heads up.. if chat isn’t fired up here, you can always go to:

It runs 24/7, but we don’t embed it in the page until game day afternoons. Try and wait for it to come up here before using it though, just because we’d like some comments to be here for posterity’s sake too.

Anyways, beg to differ on Hordichuk. He’s not as good of a player as Eager is, but I like the energy and nastiness he brings. I think we could use that too. We’re always a team that gets pushed around all the time.. let’s do the pushing for once. He’s a good locker room guy from what I hear and he’s more than willing to stand up for a teammate. I think we need to give the guy more opportunity to prove himself in these divisional games too. I’d use a tandem of Eager/Hordichuk on the 4th line in those games and perhaps alternate them a bit in others, with Eager getting more opportunities. He definitely is a better player. But I don’t think Hordicuk is as bad as you think he is.

We’ll see though. If it was a choice between Eager or Hordi, I’d definitely take Hordichuk. But if Petrell can play center (which he’s listed as) I’d try him there between Eager and Hordi against the Canucks/Flames

Anyways, I can agree that he isn’t as good a player as even Eager, but I don’t underestimate the effect of having an energy guy in the lineup can bring. Fans were really taking a liking to him too before he got hurt.

40. NorwegianOiler says:

I think Hordichuk’s impact is overrated, just like how enforcers are overrated. He hardly plays at all when he is dressed, though he has made some tantalizing comments on going after other team’s star players.
    Right now the 4th line is able to cycle the puck once in a while, both Lander and Petrell can get forward every now and then, while Eager is relatively apt at shielding the puck. Hordichuk doesn’t have that upside. His upside is being a ‘potential’ threat, but throwing him on the ice with opposing stars is giving them a technical power play. Our penalty kill has been good, but let’s not push our luck :D

Basically, not a fan. We have the luxury of players in our system now that can play tough and also play hockey. Petrell, Eager, Hartikainen comes to mind in the forward ranks. Smid, Peckham at the back end. Stick Hordichuk on any line and it eliminates that line’s chances of being an offensive threat. Remember the Stortini-Brodziak-Glencross line? I want that type of 4th unit, not goon + extras for the show…

The difference is that Eager is an NHL level hockey player, Hordichuk is not.

41. hemmerlady says:

NorwegianOiler:
    Even for just a month, I’ve been a happy hockey fan pretty much throughout

There’s puck support.
    There’s backchecking.
    There are active sticks.
    There’s a penalty kill.
    There are few secondary opportunities around our net.

There’s a great difference from seasons past so far.

And Corey Potter is a poised marvel.

goaltending! you forgot goaltending! ;)

42. NorwegianOiler says:

Only thing I’m afraid of jinxing…;)

43. John says:

Speaking of Hordichuk, I am not a fan of this dude either. The only thing he has accomplished as an Oiler is spouting off telling anyone who will listen that he is gonna kick ass but then gets hurt tripping over a guy who weighs about 185lbs lol. Does anyone here know the reason the brass decided to sign this clown for over 3/4 of a mil, when we could have re-signed Big Mac (who is a better deterent) for @ $500,000 ?

44. John says:

DropIt: Wow.Was sitting back and waiting for the Oilers to take a step back to reality, but after a month I can say I’m thouroughly impressed with the Oilers. It’s not like they have been beating mediocre teams either, like the leafs have been. I still dont think the Oilers are going to be taking a top 4 spot in the playoffs, but I think they may beat my playoff appearance prediction a year earlier. Sucks to watch as a Flamers fan , but hard to argue that the Oilers and their fans dont deserve a team like this after going through what they have for the past 5 years

I for one appreciate the mature & humble accolades coming from a Flames fan! I can’t speak for any other Oil fans but I have no illusions about this team being anywhere near 1st place in the conference by February but I sure as hell am enjoying the ride for now :) I still honestly see them finishing somewhere @ 23-25 but considering where this team has been the last four years or so, an improvement of 6 or 7 spots would be nothing short impressive.

45. hemmerlady says:

NorwegianOiler:
    Only thing I’m afraid of jinxing…;)

you’re not afraid of jinxing the rest? ;)

Have heard a few commentators that I normally find a bit ‘biased’ against the Oil giving us accolades, even saying they don’t think it will be temporary.

BTW Marc Crawford parked right in front of me this morning on his way to get some Timmy’s and he smiled at me.

47. oilinblood says:

Steve-O: Goaltending has been solid, but I like the fact that our d is not making it tough on them. In the la game he didn’t see a tough shot all night.And from the sounds if twitter it looks as though omark isn’t long for okc. 1 game in and already looking to europe saying the oilers keep passing him over for kids

if that is anywhere near a quote from omark, i would bet tambi will never let him back in the room. calling guys like petrell and lander “kids” —when both have high character reputations and omark has squat other than youtube vids and a history of whining (at times i felt his whining was warranted, like camp last year)— is not the way to earn or keep friends in that room. if he said that, i bet he is gone. (it cant be about rnh, hall or ebs…hall and ebs went circles around him and rnh is a centre that we actually need)

i havent been happy with gags at all.

i have talked about it since before the draft. we need to move our 1st while we still have PREMIUM value to it. Since we signed Belanger Sutton and Barker and acquired smyth back I have felt we are actually a centre pack team and if hemsky is healthy maybe better. But that included the assumption khabi would still suck. The point of trading our top pick was mostly to set a mindset…until we did some actual GM work and made this team stronger making it now a sell high move.

gags and omark should be dangled. In combination with a 1st rounder, that would be a nice package for a puzzle piece. pick up someonelses top pick first maybe or have a flip of firsts. We have some good assets to bolster our lineup and if a move was made right now… i dont think said asset needs to be a vet.

just a thought:

hall RNH hemsky
    MPS Lander eberle
    smyth Horcoff Gagner
    Jones Belanger Petrell

Belanger is great in the dot and in d -zone but really not great as pass or shot option. nice dekes though on so’s. he will get lots of time in d zone draws and pk. Lander has proven responsible with worse players and has the connection to MPS while Eberle has that one shot finish and Magnus should tailor his game like Smyth as far as B-line it to the net like he did in sweden. Hemsky feeding hall while taking feeds from RNH… One of those 3 guys will be open ALOT. Horcoff is the most responsible oiler and will protect gags while gags gets to play to his strengths -which are few. Belanger Petro and Jones… formidable.

Putting hemmer with smyth and horcs is not very wise IMHO. i dont think chemistry is an issue with Hemmer and rnh, nor hemmer and PMS, from what i have seen. Its also unfair, in my mind, for people to put Horcs and smyth in that position. I simply dont see them as hemmer line-mates. Horcs and smyth have a style that would suit petro, jones or gags and eat up valuable time against the important opposition lines (and hopefully wear out d). Smyth and Horcs together will put up points while being pests and frustrating the other teams top players. with a team brimming with talent, they simply arent the best option for hemmer.
    i look at things in pairs and then add a piece that fits.
    Hemsky and rnh … add hall lw sniper
    Magnus and Lander… add rw sniper eberle
    smyth and Horcs… add secondary pivot right shot playmaker Gags