Everyday I’m Shufflin’ – Oilers line up…

By , November 18, 2011 8:37 am
Time to try and get Paajarvi going?

Time to try and get Paajarvi going?

Jim Matheson came up with the suggestion that the Oilers should try Magnus Paajarvi with Anton Lander. I like the idea. He also suggested to put Ales Hemsky with them too, since Hemsky isn’t helping Ryan Smyth and Shawn Horcoff. I like that idea too. Renney snuck in Paajarvi with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle / Taylor Hall a bit last night too, and I thought Paajarvi looked more elevated. Setting him up with 2 other guys that haven’t exactly been lighting it up might seem like a bad idea… but sometimes it’s just about finding the right combination.

The way I see it, if we do that, our forward lines now look like:

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Paajarvi-Lander-Hemsky
Eager-Belanger-Petrell

What say you? Play Paajarvi with Hemsky and Lander?

Should the Oilers try Paajarvi with Hemsky and Lander?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

16 Responses to “Everyday I’m Shufflin’ – Oilers line up…”

1. Dman09 says:

You know after watching last, I thought Lander had a really good game all things considered. And some of the stuff he was trying in the offensive zone makes me think him and Omark might have some good chemistry. In a lot of ways they seem to think the game the same way especially behind the net. That leads me to push for the Swede line.

2. Ktown says:

Yeah – I think Renney needs to put the Smytty-Horcs-Jonesy line back together. They were pretty potent, and damn good at checking the other teams’ top lines. I think putting Hemmer on that line has killed their momentum and drastically changed the dynamic they brought.

Meanwhile, I think with those three back together it becomes more difficult for other teams to focus solely on the kid line. Putting that checking/mucking/scoring line back together may help to take the pressure off.

That said, I really like the idea of Hemsky with Paajarvi and Lander. Two guys that have the skills to play and keep up with Hemsky, and guys that need that little boost to start lighting the lamp.

I love Belanger for his faceoff work and defensive coverage, so I’m not really concerned about his points. I think he was a big reason for our hot start, and I personally want to see a little weight taken off his shoulders in terms of scoring. Get him with Eager and Petrell and see what happens…

LOL – so, long story short, I 100% agree with your line combos, Racki!

Taylor “Chorn Dog” Chorney and Colton Teubert have been recalled.

DMan09 – seems to be a bit of talk about that out in Oil land. Might see it happen. I guess Omark got hurt though recently? I don’t know the extend of the injury, however.

Ktown – Yah I think really we want a pretty balanced attack so guys have no clue who to really check. In theory, this team should be scoring a lot more than it is. I still can’t figure out why it isn’t. Perhaps too much focus on clamping down in the defensive zone.. I have no idea.

The wrong team got off to the 2-0 start last night though. The Oilers were really owning that first part of period 1 and didn’t deserve to fall behind 2-0 on the first two shots.

5. John says:

You can change lines all you want, the problem is this team has a system in place but isn’t experienced enough to successfully deviate from that system when they need to. It’s a pattern that has developed since the loss to Chicago on the road trip. For reasons unexplained the goaltending went from tops in the league to sucks balls in about 2 games; then the rest of the team can’t play “the system” any more & falls apart like a deck of cards as soon as they are down a couple goals. Simple as that as far as I can see!

Today’s practice lines:

Smyth-RNH-Eberle
    Hall-Horcoff-Jones
    Paajarvi-Gagner/Lander-Hemsky
    Hordichuk/Eager-Belanger-Petrell

Seems that they’ll give those a go.

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

I would try Eager/Gagner/Hemsky as a line.

8. dawgtoy says:

I actually like Eager.. cause he can play hockey. He generates some scoring chances out there with his quick feet. But yes, he hasn’t been very physical yet. But I definitely would love to see Hartikainen up here. I’ve been saying that for a bit too.

10. oilinblood says:

I m hurt Racki.
    Jim is a little late to the show. i hate how journalists never make observations until they have 10 games of transparent proof. problem is obvious. you either do something or magnus is in real threat of becoming trade fodder because he is not a grinder. ive been saying it since even before the road trip started. they need production… as in “khabi wont be playing with a horseshoe up his @** all season long”. you need more then 3 goals a night, i would say.
    As i said in another post 2 weeks ago; i believe in pairs that work and then planting a player you hope fits.
    so… horc and smyth work period. on the road hemsky hurt the line more than helped. put jones back in there because that is a proven 3some and at the very least they will win most of their shifts.

lander and magnus is a given. Personally i think you put eberle with them. Last year Magnus scored mostly on pressure situations within 6 feet of the net. all 3 guys have great shots but magnus is a big body who hasnt scored a tonne but when he did in the real season last year they were of the junkyard variety.

that leaves hemsky to dangle with rnh and hall (rnh was with hemsky for the season opener and they had obvious chemistry)…two young guys with speed who have a good release. hemsky now has someone with elite hockey iq to play with and hall should bust out of his slump if he realizes he isnt the guy who will be doing the dangling. hall needs to dish the puck off and get in a firing lane fast with his stick on the ice.

belanger petrell and gags when he draws back in.

i have wanted this for a while and if someone isnt playing hot you can slip in gags. belanger will get his ice time with penalty kills.

anyonelse notice how eberle tends to score from his wrong wing mostly? (including his dekes where he finishes on his back hand on wrong left plain) maybe try switching wings with magnus as magnus has a bomb.

hall rnh hemsky
    smyth horcs jones
    magnus lander eberle
    petrell belanger gags
    if a line is really going i can see a good coach even moving gags up or petrell for tighter checking games. eberle on his wrong side taking feeds from gags after belanger wins possession and covers for them. but those are things that need to be tested… not when you lose 4 in a row… but right away when issues arise in-game. That is what good coaches do.
    Tell jimthat his old age is showing and i expect him to react to the ottawa game around christmas next month.

if lines arent going at all, your team gets 12 shots in 60 minutes and being dominated in posssession, and your coach isnt juggling his lines? fire him on the spot.
    ill try to not comment on lines again this month. lines are everything, matchups everything, poissession and chemistry everything. if lander and magnus are comfortable with eachothers style it should also make their exits more efficient and quick transition will be had.

11. oilinblood says:

dawgtoy: I would try Eager in the press box. What the Oilers needed was somebody to step up and make some noise when the game was 2-0. Cue Ben Eager to make a hit, or throw some fists, but he did…nothing. Maybe the inspiration or energy will come in the form of Hordichuk? Maybe Eager will be inspired with Hordichuk in the line-up?I also have stated that Hartikainen should be in the line-up, this team is screaming for energy, grit and sandpaper. He bring that along with hands, and that is rare. He is a power forward and needs to play. He played last year in the AHL and is spinning his wheels on the farm. Swap him and Pääjärvi ASAP.Time to bundle some forwards and trade for a D. To me Toronto is the obvious trade partner and Shenn would be my target. He could use a change of scenery, just like Gagner and Burke would take Gagner. It will take sugar to sweeten the medicine and its too bad Omark is injured, because Burke might have gone for that. May need to dangle some youth or draft choices to make it work.

to me the ottawa game is an anomoly. we controlled the game and then our defence decided to play the shot on one 2 on 1 when they should have had pass then they play the pass on 2 on 1 #2 where khabi half is playing the pass. we controlled the game, we could have scored on a few occassions. we are a team that was needing scoring confidence before it even went on its trip.

12. oilinblood says:

Racki: Today’s practice lines:Smyth-RNH-EberleHall-Horcoff-JonesPaajarvi-Gagner/Lander-HemskyHordichuk/Eager-Belanger-PetrellSeems that they’ll give those a go.

hall really looks out in the cold on that one.

Yah that isn’t really a good line for hall. Although he did show chemistry with Horcoff when him and Eberle were with him.

I would bring up Omark and put the three Swedes together. Of course we would need to find room, but I hate Omark sitting in the minors. If nothing changes, he will be back in Sweden by month’s end. This is my prediction.

Time to see what Gagner can bring for a D-man.

15. dawgtoy says:

Smyth RNH Ebs
    Pääjärvi Gagner Hemsky
    Hall Horc Jones
    Petrell Belanger Lander

Nikki Rehab with the start!
    Three straight starts, wtf!

With
    Sutton out 7-10 days
    Potter out 4 weeks

16. dawgtoy says:

Maybe in 6 weeks once Omark recovers from his broken ankle. I agree 100% otherwise.

chucker:
    I would bring up Omark and put the three Swedes together. Of course we would need to find room, but I hate Omark sitting in the minors. If nothing changes, he will be back in Sweden by month’s end.This is my prediction.

Time to see what Gagner can bring for a D-man.