Monday Morning Standings

By , October 26, 2011 8:09 am

3 of my favorite things! Beer, the show Blue Mountain State (seriously funny) and attractive ladies!

Welcome to your Monday (Wednesday) Morning Standings!

Oiler news:
- Renney made some comment about sitting the Nuge for a game so he can take a look from the press box and Oilers fans shit themselves. Which caused Renney to call them stupid (or something close to that). Made me laugh.
- Hemsky should be back soon (another week I think?), and in my opinion join the Horcoff and Smyth line. They can then go power against power, continue to roll the kids against the league dregs and let our third and fourth lines try to out chance their opponents. Good plan to me.

League news:
- Pronger had his eye poked out. Which has now caused a visor discussion. Personally I’m all for letting the players choose (hell, I just went to a visor only this year myself…and it sucks).
- Florida/Vancouver trade – David Booth, Steve Reinprecht (who will stay in the minors apparently) and a 2013 3rd to the Canucks for Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm. Booth is a good pickup.
- Montreal/Phoenix trade – Brock Trotter and a 2012 7th to the Coyotes for Petteri Nokelainen and Garrett Stafford. Meh.
- Jagr scored a couple goals and looked to be in fine form…although it was against Toronto (i know, i know…early season cup favorites but still)
- The Nuge is leading the rookies in scoring! Landeskog is right up there too so I don’t feel so bad about wanting to draft him. Others doing well are Luke Adam (helping me out in the keeper pool!), Craig Smith(?), Matt Read(?), Colin Greening (?) and Sean Couturier.
- Kessel is channeling his inner scorer, but we all know he’ll stop scoring in November.
- Souray is playing really well in Dallas…I thought he was all washed up in Hersey? That’s what the scouts said. Or maybe everyone was just trying to get Tambellini to waive him.

Question for everyone – When do we go for it all? Chicago won it all when Kane was still on his ELC, so do we try when Hall is on his? So next year? Cause once he + Eberle + Paajarvi get paid then it gets more difficult to fill out the rest of the roster. Or do we try to time it when the Nuge is ending his ELC and some of the kid D men are in? Interested to hear your ideas.

New thing!

Fight of the Week

And on to the standings. Elliotte Friedman mentioned an interesting fact re: standings at the start of November (and others have mentioned this about the standings at the start of December), but the gist is that most of the teams in the playoffs at this point make it at the end of the season, and specifically anyone 6 points or more out have a real difficult time making it in. I found that interesting. Can’t find it now (I think it was in one of his 30 thoughts) but yeah…

Conference

Pittsburgh may be leading the way, however they also have 3 more games than most of the teams for whatever reason. I find goal differential to be pretty important, so I find it interesting that Boston and the Rangers are as low as they are and Toronto and Tampa should be regressing. Then again it is early, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see those teams move.

Nice to see the Oilers sitting above 8th spot, but not sure how it will last. Only 1 away game (where we can be line matched and the kids won’t see the easy opposition anymore). But still, nice to see. Looking at goal differential, San Jose will be moving up the standings I’m thinking but other than that everything looks to be playing out as it should. How’s the bottom look Calgary?

League

Pools

Yahoo

It’s early. And I didn’t even draft my team.

Keeper

Still in the first month, so no standings yet, but very promising seeing everyone still excited about the pool. Remember, only 5 days left in the month (set your roster!).

9 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

1. Trogdor says:

More news that can be added to the MMS. Arena vote favored 10-3.

Nice that there is a $30 mill up front development condition so that “revitalization” can begin before arena construction.

That’s good news. Get this shit done already.

Some bad news for Perry Pearn came today. He was fired from the Montreal Canadiens, where he was serving as an assistant coach.

3. oilinblood says:

As far as my opinion Steve-O. i think we got to focus on just filling holes. we havvent had the recent history to just put ourselves into cup mode. Its a gradual process. In 2005-06 we played well thru to january and that is with guys like peca and pronger adapting to the new rules and a tag team of second class goalies. once things started to pick up and decisions were made to cut some guys loose the oilers then made a few key deals for minor upgrades…spacek tarnstrom. when those moves paid off, and peca and pronger AND staios quit taking bad penalties, learned to skate more and get position instead of tugging, then the oilers started really dominating HIGH QUALITY teams. then it was a matter of goaltending.

we could challenge this year if things go well and you add the right piece or two during the year. the problem is that around 8 -14 teams could do the same. with an injury here or there you can also go from the top to the bottom… unless you are detroit.

i think this year is huge. my pre-season opinion was that we:
    upgraded offence
    upgraded special teams
    upgraded the dot
    stayed at worst even on defence, while increasing our pssible ceiling
    we stayed stagnant in net

thats alot of upgrades. all the additions have panned out and i feel will only get better. i dont think belanger, barker, sutton, etc etc are as comfortable yet in edmonton, the west, renneys team, high offense talent team… as they will be in 2 months. the only guy truly comfy is smyth. lets remember whitney hasnt been a healthy player and neither has hemsky for us. we have 2 more new rookies, one brand new to north america at 20 and the other 170 lbs centre who is barely 18. we have a guy in magnus who is affected by smyths arrival and may need to reinvent his game, like a rookie, all over again.

i see us being far better in the second half than the first. gags has also been only involved in 2 games thus far.

so the answer is you cant pick a year until you get there. once we got spacek and tarny in 06 i said we needed goalie and would challenge. we ended up getting roli AND samsonov… then i put my money where my mouth was that if we got into the playoffs we would beat ANYONE except for MAYBE detroit (yzerman scared me).

btw i do like gags on the wing and rnh has impressed me. we honestly have a near perfect mix of youth and vets. i think this team is solid if playing to potential. if a few d can over achieve under renney than we might have quite a ride… and then evaluate in the summer again and adjust.

to me…. its time to trade that #1 pick of ours. get another teams #1 later but ditch ours now.

What I find interesting is that we are tied for 2nd in GA, however that could change drastically after tonight… It should be an exciting game.

Then in a year, you have the Nuge getting paid.

If any of that makes sense.

Oh, and that arena article kills me. $100 mil supposed to be coming in from the province…even after they have said no twice? Didn’t Katz originally say that he would put forward $100 mil to the new rink…but now it’s 100 mil to the area around the rink and only 30 mil up front.

And then reading this makes me wonder a whole lot.

I better not see my property tax go up…

7. dawgtoy says:

Basically the city can get the 100 million from the Province through the Provincial Infrastructure fund, which allows municipalities to direct funds to self directed projects. These projects tend to be road construction, bridges and such, but in this case it may well be the new arena. It was mentioned in the Journal and the news (CTV) that tax payers will NOT see a tax increase based on the arena. Katz will put down his money in repayments that would be 5.5mil a year over 30 years. The deal certainly isn’t perfect, but like it or not I think it’s here to stay. I for one have read a ton of articles and think the deal will work for all parties, and I look forward to the new development.

I’m OK with the deal, and we talked about the Infrastructure fund here before (I think they decided that a couple months back now?)… the parties involved are treating it like free money. “Oh, it won’t cost us a dime, since it’s coming from this magic fund!”. But really it is misleading. Money for road repairs (holy shit are there enough going on in this city right now, btw..) and other such changes has to come from somewhere. So if it’s not coming from that other fund…

However, that brings me to another point. Earlier this year, Mayor Mandel complained that there was too much road construction going on in this city lately and had mentioned putting a stop to it for a while (and really, you can’t seem to drive 10 blocks here without running into road construction). This kind of comes at a “convenient” time…. “we need to stop with the road construction.. but we have this infrastructure money.. might as well use it”. Maybe a little planned, perhaps. At any rate, I’ll be happy to see a new arena here and I’ll be happy to see less road construction for a year-ish… so I’ll turn a blind eye.

9. oilinblood says:

Steve-O: The only reason I ask the question is because it keeps being mentioned that we should follow the Chicago, Pittsburgh model of rebuilding.And both those teams had top players still on ELC’s (Malkin, Kane, Toews etc). Once players started to get paid, the supporting cast gets weaker. Which makes it difficult to win the cup.Hall is going to get paid in 2 years (next year being the last of his ELC). I figure he’s going to get Doughty money. The way that Eberle has been playing, he’ll get paid as well. I figure Hemsky money (4ish per with maybe a couple UFA years in there). Paajarvi won’t get paid money like that, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him get Cogliano money (2mil per I think).So right there you have 13/14 mil on 3 players. Plus defense and goaltending need to be upgraded.Then in a year, you have the Nuge getting paid.At some point, they are going to need to go for it, and it might make sense to do it when the stars on the team are not pulling in big bucks yet so you can fill out the roster with better talent.At least that was what I was thinking. Not saying we go for it next year, but if we don’t it’ll be harder and harder to keep the team together.If any of that makes sense.

yeah i understood what you were saying and my point was that you dont manage or plan things in that way. the most you can do as a manager is get a good read on your group and patch holes conservatively as you allow for things to become cohesive. summers seem to be where teams tinker the most and not pay too much for it -unless they are overpaid ufa’s. this is because players have summer and camp and pre season to get used to the new digs. during the year i wouldnt think a team would gel fast enough to do more than 4 moves over the season. so if you have more than 4 weak spots…. you will be in for a good draft pick.

lets take this year for example. if hemsky and whitney come back strong for the second half i believe we are a playoff team. frankly without them we have the pieces to do it. i dont think any skater EXCEPT for rnh and smyth are even performing up to the standards we expect of them points wise. and we are 2 games above 500 beating quality teams.

chicago made some noise in the playoffs their first year back in the picture, then went and fixed holes in the off seasn and make aquisitions at the next deadline. thats how you do it. you are proven to be close, you have studied the animal, and you fill in the needs/lack00ings.

tambi might take 20 years to read his team. but thanfully there are no less than 4 guys who analyze this roster and give input into player movement.