GDT: Oilers 3, Avalanche 1 – Game 10 – 2011-10-28 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNET OILERS

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Colorado Avalanche
logo vs logo
5-2-2 Record 6-3-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 28, 2011 @ 7:00 MST
TV: SNET OILERS

So it’s official. Like we didn’t know it was happening, but sorry Brent Sutter, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will not be returning to the Red Deer Rebels. I think we can all agree that he’s been a pleasant surprise here. So has our defense and even… gasp… Nikolai Khabibulin, who really stole a game for us last night against the “best team in the NHL” – the formerly undefeated Washington Capitals who had been averaging close to 4 goals per game. Great work by the Wall, who at least temporarily won fans over. Hopefully that trend continues.

I’m not sure, but I have to figure that Dubnyk starts tonight, being a back to back. I think he’ll play well, but with the Oilers being tired from a shortened rest between games, I think this one could be a loss and the Avalanche will regain #1 spot in the Northwest. That’s right, I said regain, as currently that spot belongs to the Oilers (by tie breaker). I’m not thinking too much of that though, as really it’s way too early in the year, but this has been one of their best starts to a season in quite some time, despite missing services of key players Ryan Whitney and Ales Hemsky.

Prediction: 3-1 Avalanche

OILERS LINES (PROJECTED)

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Jones
Paajarvi – Belanger – Gagner
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Peckham – Potter
Smid – Gilbert
Sutton – Barker

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Please use the comments section to make comments (for posterity’s sake), rather than the chat box, until the game starts.

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]

19 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Avalanche 1 – Game 10 – 2011-10-28 @ 7:00 PM MST – SNET OILERS”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

I’m guessing we lose as well. They’ll be coming in late to Denver, have little time to adjust to the altitude and they’re less than 24 hours removed from a taxing game. Either we are lethally effective with our chances or we lose. Still, with a bit of luck we could at least steal a point. Things have been close so far…

Says he…

…and then they are blown out by 7-1 or something :P

The Oilers have recalled Jeff Petry. My guess is that it will be to replace Peckham, since he’s struggled. But I had heard from the msm that it could also be for Sutton who probably doesn’t handle a back to back quite so well either. Or.. he might not even play. But I suspect he does in place of Peckham.

Very happy about RNH staying put. Not surprised, but nice to have it in writing. I’m currently 3rd in my pool out of a field of 33, losing RNH and the chemistry he has with Hall & Ebs (seeing as I took all 3 of them) would have been pretty crappy. So keep it up boys!

Should be a good game, but the Oilers expended a lot of energy/emotion last night and since this would have been an extra special “feel good” win to hand the league leaders their first defeat, there is increased risk of a let down tonight, with so little time in between. I think if they pull out a win tonight it will say alot about the character of this team.

4. Ktown says:

Whoo hoooo!! 1st in NW. I don’t expect it to last but it’s fun now!!

And Ktown’s “no Foil for the Oil” chat holdout remains intact!

5. Ktown says:

And Kudos to Racki for at least getting the score right!

6. Grass&sOIL says:

I only caught the first period and then just parts of the rest, but I liked what I saw – although I see the Av’s doubled us on SOG. Were they alot of perimeter shots? Anyway, really happy with the goaltending I’m seeing so far, keep it up Oilers! 1st in the West, wooo!

Yah LNOF, there were a lot of shots that really weren’t that dangerous. But there were also a number of good chances. I thought Dubnyk played pretty well in his net and outside of it, it was like he was handling a live grenade. The Oilers were outplayed in this one though, yes.

9. NorwegianOiler says:

Special teams. :D That is all!

10. dawgtoy says:

I was at the Foo Fighters concert so I didn’t get a chance to see the Oiler game or the World Series, but I’m glad my prediction was completely incorrect and the Oilers won. Congrats Cards, way to go for the World Series, but the concert was awesome!

11. John says:

Grass&sOIL: I know it’s early and all but I still cant resist checking out the standings on NHL.com.To be 1st in the west is one thing but the reasoning for us being in 1st (D and Goaltending) is the real shocker for me.

Me too, I even printed out the standings this morning just for posterity & curiosity to see were they are in December ;) I still have a strong dislike for Khabi though so it puts me in an akward position lol.

12. oilinblood says:

well sutton is suspended pending hearing. i knew that when we got him we would have to deal with the big man issues. its amazing reading the comments on tsn and sportsnet. sutton isnt a cheap shot player. infact, i would say he is rather passive – which may just be a smart decision on a guy who doesnt have the agility or speed to recover from delivering a poorly executed or planned hit.

as much as landeskog was running and crashing dubs, my feelings on the hit were that he was caught moving out of the oilers zone when we turned it over and he had to make a quick decision. he stood up landeskog because he doesnt have the agility to stop and go back on a dime… landeskog would have easily beaten him wide.

i like sutton so i am prepared to take these issues when they come. to me its very simple… he got an elbow penalty because landeskog is at his elbow. big man penalized for being big.

but you know the canucks will never be suspended for all their theatrics and hacks and cheapshots.

13. NorwegianOiler says:

I think it was coming to Sutton, he had questionable hits in consecutive games. Big man syndrome or not, he cannot allow himself to make contact with the elbow to an opponent’s head. Shouldn’t be a big deal, since Peckham will easily sub in for Sutton’s penalties and Petry can get some ice time in the NHL again :D

Waiting for Eager’s first suspension now :D Will it be boarding, you think?

I have no problem with it. He’s played well and got a bit carried away with that hit. I think shanny will give him a couple at least though., not sure what sutton’s history is

15. NorwegianOiler says:

I’m not an expert, but I think Sutton’s elbow has been up before :D

16. dawgtoy says:

Sutton has been suspended in the past for a hit from behind on Dupuis. Likely gets four as per Brownlee guesstimating. He’s been summoned, which is normally not a one or two gamer.

Bob McKenzie figures 6+. I guests fuel for that thought is that an in person hearing must be granted in order to give 6+. Seems stiff to me, but he did hit to the head.

18. Ktown says:

Yeah. I’m of two minds on this one.

I didn’t think it was a targeted hit to the head but really just a big man that had the unfortunate luck to develop arms and shoulders six inches higher than the average human.

That said, I am a supporter of rule 48 and fair is fair, Sutton still has to face the music.

…dammit

19. Alan-NottsUK says:

last suspension was over 18 months ago and so cannot be counted towards repeat offender status as per the CBA.

any suspension is too much, Landeskog put himself in a vulnerable position, looking backawards over his shoulder going over the blue line until just before the hit at which point his head turns to face Sutton, and Sutton let up on that hit one hell of a lot.

It’s not the first time this season Landeskog has left himself open to a big hit either, and whoever played that pass to him should be lynched by the coach.

So going by Shanahan’s video evidencing,

The principle point of contact was the head, however:

Landeskog made a move just prior to or simultanious with the hit (in this case turning his head 180º into the hit)
    Sutton minimized contact (if he hadn’t Landeskog would have been out of the game, no two ways about it Sutton is a monster and could have destroyed him)
    There was no injury on the play (Landeskog bounced back up and played the rest of the game)
    Sutton is not considered a repeat offender. (CBA states only suspensions within the past 18 months can be counted towards repeat offender status)