GDT: Oilers 3, Canucks 2 – Game 8 – 2011-10-25 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks - Nikolai Khabibulin
logo vs logo
3-2-2 Record 4-3-1
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 25, 2011 @ 7:30 MST
TV: SNETW

The Oilers line up that was dressed on Saturday played great vs. the New York Rangers (and team that absolutely throttled us 8-2 last year, and added some more goal scoring this year)… so why not give them another go? That’s exactly what will happen tonight. Absolutely no changes, including in net.

Khabibulin has been eerily good so far this season. One can definitely say that he hasn’t been tested too much, and I wouldn’t argue against that at all. Although I’ll say that the few times he has been tested, he’s been up to the challenge. He’s had some scary play outside of the net at times though. But we are definitely used to that, aren’t we? I’m hoping that Khabibulin will keep his streak going. Right now he’s doing his best to show that he’s still got it, being #1 in the league in GAA and #2 in SV%. He nearly had two shutouts in a row, as well. Everything is looking good for him. He mentioned in the off-season that the drunk driving case weighed very heavily on him, and he spoke to how much of a relief it was to have it behind him. If this is true, we might see a rejuvenated Khabibulin all year, which would be a real blessing after seeing him shit the bed basically since he got here. Never underestimate a guy who has something to prove (right Penner?… or wait..), but I’ll watch him closely and with great skepticism. As with any Oiler though, I just hope he can turn things around and make us regret this albatross contract a bit less.

There has been some talk about the Nuge sitting a game.. and even being sent back to junior. My take… this kid isn’t going anywhere. Let’s be real. Any comment from Renney or Tambellini that makes us wonder “wow, maybe he’s going back to Junior” is just a way to make us feel like they’ve handled this the right way and aren’t rushing him into the NHL (like many thought we did with Gagner). This guy is ready. He’s leading the team and is already on a PPG pace, all while playing very responsible, defensive hockey. What more do we want? How many of you have already nearly forgotten we still have Eberle and Paajarvi here.. or even Hall.. or Hemsky? Guys will figure him out a bit more, for sure, but he’s going to learn how to adapt to that at the NHL level, not against boys who can’t keep up to him.

Anyways, tonight’s game… can’t help but predict a loss here. It’s Vancouver, after all. They didn’t have either of Kesler or Booth vs. us the last game. Going with a theme that we’ve had the last few years here… we tend to get kicked down to reality big time when things look too good.

Prediction: 6-3 Canucks

OILERS LINES

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Jones
Paajarvi – Belanger – Gagner
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Whitney – Potter
Smid – Gilbert
Sutton – Barker

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

19 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Canucks 2 – Game 8 – 2011-10-25 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW”

1. Trogdor says:

Damn it, they need to put Peckham in. Last time out versus the Canucks those bastards did nothing but take potential injury inducing runs at our young guns. Need someone to let them know that just isn’t cool. I guess it’s all on Eager tonight.

Yah good point about Peckham. Crazy how he’s been watching a few from the press box this year. We still have Sutton though at least. He’s not all that superb a fighter though.

3. dawgtoy says:

Would help if Peckham was in game shape, would appear his conditioning has been questioned, and we dearly miss his grit. I think (hope/pray) that our Oilers will surprise tonight. 4-2 Oilers with an empty net goal. Ebs finally gets a goal and the empty netter.

4. mzoilcountry says:

Is the game televised or is it blacked out in the northwest-central portion of Alberta? Every listing I’ve tried on my satellite is stating that the game is not available for viewing in my area! This really sucks…. :o(

I haven’t forgotten about Hemsky

mzoilcountry:
    Is the game televised or is it blacked out in the northwest-central portion of Alberta? Every listing I’ve tried on my satellite is stating that the game is not available for viewing in my area!This really sucks…. :o (

Not being outside the market, I have no idea.. although I’ve heard rumblings about a vip box tv site….

7. hemmerlady says:

La la la. HL gets to watch this one.

Can we pleaaaaase have a win tonight. I don’t wanna take crap from my buddy at work tomorrow. Well maybe the $64 million sieve will continue to suck, i.e. f_ck up my pool. Who’d have thought that the smart money would have been on Khabi rather than Mr. William-Jennings.

HL predicts: narrow 4-3 shootout victory for the Oil, replete with Louie choking.

8. Trogdor says:

Time for Sutton to go Sedin bowling.

9. dawgtoy says:

I would love to watch Sedin bowling.

10. dawgtoy says:

Woohoo!!!

Sweet win, got a bit worried when the Nucks made it 3-2, but they hung on FTW. Ebs finally on the board, woohoo! Louuuuuuuuu.

12. Ktown says:

Another good game by the boys. Smid is really turning into a solid d-man.

Belanger might not be scoring but he’s worth every penny for what he brings to each game.

And, sorry to say, I won’t be on the POTF gamenight chat for awhile. That’s a two gamer without – like they say in Bull Durham “you never mess with a streak. “

dawgtoy:

almost nailed it. Good one!

14. dawgtoy says:

I’m just like a broken watch.

15. NorwegianOiler says:

Ktown:
    Another good game by the boys. Smid is really turning into a solid d-man.

And, sorry to say, I won’t be on the POTFgamenight chat for awhile. That’s a two gamer without – like they say in Bull Durham “you never mess with a streak. ”

We have begun to develop a serious team game though, had a forecheck going tonight, good neutral zone play and some nice offensive cycling. What a delight it is to watch the skill of our young ‘top line’.

16. Ktown says:

NorwegianOiler: Yes, Smid is bringing the board play battling to another level. Potter’s making an impression too.

Agreed on Potter.

One thing I’m noticing this year is the puck support. That’s been seriously missing in the last few seasons.

It seems this year, if a guy loses the puck, or turns it over, there’s always somebody there to pick it up or get in on the check. As well, no matter the situation, there always seems to be an outlet pass. Guys are just looking like they finally ‘get it’ this year, and the result so far is the benefit of seeing some good hockey being played.

The other thing I’m noticing is the heart and effort – Ladi Smid (poster child for this movement – I’ll be pumping his tires this season). It’s like the puck is glued to Ladi’s shins, or chest or back of his ass… He’s down blocking everything!

Then you see guys mucking in the corners fighting for pucks (Jonesy!!!) and it just makes everybody else out there want to play harder. I love it.

Third period ice time:

Hall – 5.63
    RNH – 4.22
    Eberle – 5.23

Smyth – 7.07
    Horcoff – 7.05
    Jones – 6.63

Paajarvi – 1.4 (3 shifts – benched for 2nd half of 3rd period)
    Belanger – 6.18
    Gagner – 1.05 (2 shifts – benched for 2nd half of 3rd period)

Petrell – 5.86
    Lander – 5.18
    Eager – 0.63 (2 shifts – benched for 2nd half of 3rd period)

Still a bit of a bias towards the vet line of Smyth-Horcoff-Jones, but it looks like the confidence in the kid line grew a bit with Renney too. In the last couple of minutes though, his work horses were the vet line and Petrell-Belanger-Lander. But this is an improvement over the complaints people had with Renney not giving these young kids opportunity to pad a lead.

BTW, as far as puck support, no line demonstrates this better than the kid line, imho.. but I’ve noticed it too Ktown.

18. mrgod2u says:

Hey Racki, I think the vet line 3rd period times might seem higher due to Renney matching them up against the Sedin sisters who saw lots of time (and were skating circles around us) in the third.

The puck support has been great to see, and the lines are gelling quicker than I had even hoped. Gagner and Magnus are struggling a bit but they will come on line I’m sure.

Really impressed with our Defencemen, who pundits basically predicted would be the anchor that drags our promising team out of contention. Also if Khabi can play like this all year I will take back every bad thing I ever said about him… Which is a lot.

Hard to find things to complain about when we are winning. It doesn’t get better than watching Bobby-Lou(ser) getting chased and making the skate of shame to the bench.

19. hemmerlady says:

gr8one: almost nailed it. Good one!

I was pretty close too!! other than the shootout.

hemmerlady:

Well maybe the $64 million sieve will continue to suck, i.e. f_ck up my pool.

yeah, mofos, I’m taking some hits for the team here by having Lu stink it up on my team. It’s more satisfying to watch him get pulled from a game and have a tantrum than to beat Racki this week though.