GDT: Oilers 2, Rangers 0 – Game 7 – 2011-10-22 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. New York Rangers
logo vs logo
2-2-2 Record 2-1-2
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 22, 2011 @ 8:00 MST
TV: CBC

Tonight, Sam Gagner returns to the line up. He was injured in a pre-season game vs. the Flames earlier this year when he went awkwardly into the boards on a hit. His return to the lineup comes at the expense of Linus Omark. I think Omark has played well, but that line has been really ineffective at generating offense. Time to shake things up a bit. I wouldn’t even mind seeing Hartikainen draw in there to help with some dirty goals.

Khabibulin gets the start tonight. *pauses for groans*. He was very strong in the last game vs. the Wild, playing a perfect game for 59 minutes and 59 seconds. Rough, rough break. Hopefully the same Khabibulin plays tonight, because he was quite stellar.

I think this could be the night where our offense comes out (finally).

Prediction: 4-1 Oilers

OILERS LINES

Hall – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle
Smyth – Horcoff – Jones
Paajarvi – Belanger – Gagner
Eager – Lander – Petrell

Whitney – Potter
Smid – Gilbert
Sutton – Barker

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is currently closed.

13 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 2, Rangers 0 – Game 7 – 2011-10-22 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

Our offense comes out against Lundqvist?

2. john says:

Wish I was as optimistic as you Racki but my perception of this team is either they play fairly well defensively & end up in a tight, 2-1 type game … or else they open up the offence & still end up in a tight game lol. I will predict a 4-3 OT win for the Oil. On a related note I haven’t looked at the Sport Select numbers for ties in Oiler games but they must be a lot lower than most teams hey?

3. dawgtoy says:

Not sure about a lot of things in regards to this team right now. Gagner on the wing, if it’s to get him game ready….fine. Otherwise he’s our best center and needs to play with Ebs and Hall. Boston had the perfect formula for the way they utilized Seguin last season, that should be emulated by the Oilers in regards to RNH. I’d much rather Hartikainen on the wing with Eager then Petrell. He’s played big minutes in OKC and is ready for prime time. He’s grittier with a way better goal scoring ability. Lander should be given an opportunity to play with Omark and Pääjärvi. He’s likely destined to be sent down to OKC once Hemsky is ready, but why not give him an opportunity rather then the fourth line centre. Belanger centering Eager and Petrell makes more sense to me.
    I guess I see more potential with this team, then what I’m currently seeing on the ice. Or maybe I just didn’t get enough sleep last night. Hope it works, I like being proven wrong and I hate the Rangers. My mind says a 4-1 loss, but my heart says a 4-3 win. GOilers.

4. Alan-NottsUK says:

I was really hoping for Gagner and Jones to be switched around.

But maybe this is a move to get MPS going.

NorwegianOiler:
    Our offense comes out against Lundqvist?

Haha, I forgot actually that last year we were slaughtered by the Rangers (8-2?). Well.. it’s unlikely, but yah never know. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then, as they say. I was thinking more along the lines how we can play a lot more flashy / offensive against the eastern teams. However, that’s generally when Hemsky is in the line up. I’ll keep my over-optimistic prediction anyways :P

Too bad there is no Sean Avery in this one.

6. dawgtoy says:

I love that there is no Avery, but maybe Smid wanted some payback.

7. oilinblood says:

back from the game. horcoff i thought played really good; picks, positioning, tenacious on forecheck and cycle and gathering up rebounds, even distributed the puck well. i have to wonder though – what happened to his shot? he did have a good shot at one time. i remember he was around 40% one season on the shootout and he hit bars or was robbed on the ones he missed. he relied on his shot and i cant recall a deke from him that year. Then came major shoulder reconstructive surgery

he made a comment earlier this month that he may have to change his build a bit. not to compare horc with iginla but iginla is one of many high end players who spent too much time in the gym working on gaining mass only to find that it was hurting them. their upper-bodies get so big that it affects many things adversely such as range of movement. i have to question how strong his trunk is when he seems like he is knocked down quite a bit. iginla in 06 or 07 went thru it and said in february of that season that he worked fulltime basically from november on to drop inches and some mass off parts of his upper frame. i was confused since i didnt think one could target losses… only to an extent gains.

khabi good game. much like last october, i have been very happy with khabi’s play in the net. the problem comes when he leaves the net. like a child in front of a scary movie, i find myself cringing then blocking my vision with my hands when he comes out of the crease. one of my sons has actually adopted this as well.

I like potter and am happy with the new additions of the past summer on d so far. potter, barker and sutton provide alot of support back ther but i am hoping –especially in barkers case – that there will be more improvement as everyone becomes used to the corps and the system.

they really need better beer selection.

btw khabi has the top league numbers at 2-0-2 / .72 gaa /.969 sv%

8. oilinblood says:

9. NorwegianOiler says:

=)
    Most complete game I’ve seen from the Oilers in seasons. The breakouts were there, the pressure was there and the quick, accurate passes helped us command the game throughout. Some impressive backchecking from both individuals (Horcs, Nuge, Petrell, Smyth among others) and from the team as a whole. The team defense made Khabibulin’s shutout: Except for the Gaborik breakaway the Rangers’ shots weren’t very dangerous.

=/
    Hall had a few overzealous attempts with the puck, he needs to take less risk in the neutral zone. Barker is very nonchalant and is too cool under pressure, which gets him into trouble.

10. Frightened at how well Khabibulin is playing. What are they feeding him?

11. Grass&sOIL says:

Solid, solid Victory for the Oil!!!!

NorwegianOiler:
    =)

=/

Where’s my kudos for recognizing that this game would be the night that the Oilers’ offense breaks out? Hey, a two goal game is a breakout for this year’s Oilers!!! :lol:

As for Khabibulin playing well… definitely the defense helps. I thought it was the same when Roli was here. You let him make that initial save and he’ll make it all the time… but you better deal with the rebounds. Most goalies you can’t leave hanging to dry though. If the Oilers can play this well defensively all the time, they’ll eventually start winning more especially when that offense finally comes.

I liked the defense too. Sutton played fairly well, and that slide was marvelous to break up a 3-on-1.5 (RNH was just getting back in there). His huge frame caught the saucer. I think Whitney is still a bit lost out there. He’s got a lot of lost time to catch up on though. So I’m not worried. Just saying he isn’t near his top form yet.

13. John says:

I missed the game but sounds like the team played well & more importantly the defence is maybe starting to gel. Now if Barker would start holding up his end of the bargain the Oil might make a trend of winning more games than they lose :)