GDT: Oilers 3, Predators 1 – Game 4 – 2011-10-17 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW

The Eager has landed...
logo AT logo
2-1-1 Record 1-1-1
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 17, 2011 @ 7:30 MST
TV: SNETW

The Eager has landed… Ben Eager makes his regular season debut for the Edmonton Oilers. Perfect timing, considering Hordichuk just got hip-checked onto the IR on his own hit. Eager should add some toughness without too much skill at expense.

The big news around the Oilogosphere… actually even the NHL… is that our new kid line was spectacular on Saturday. How will they follow that performance up? I expect there to be good nights, great nights, and slow nights. And I would not be surprised if tonight was a slow night, unfortunately, against a team that plays a pretty tight defensive game.

Word is that Renney might dress 7 defense for this game, as one forward (unknown as to who yet) is feeling “under the weather”. They are a game time decision. Also, Theo Peckham, who’s been under a bit of fire lately MAY be a healthy scratch. He’s come under a bit of scrutiny from Oilers fans lately, as his start hasn’t been too stellar just yet. Petry will slot into the line up though, whether Peckham is out or not. Whitney won’t play tonight, but sounds like he’ll be in tomorrow though vs. Calgary. He and Gagner went through Tom Renney’s “test” today, which is a good sign.

The Oilers play back to back games. Tomorrow is against Calgary. I’d have to guess that today they’ll play Khabibulin, and tomorrow Dubnyk will see Calgary. Dubnyk seemed to struggle a bit vs. Vancouver (who doesn’t?), so who knows what Renney will decide. Actually, I do now, as Twitter tells me that it is in fact Khabibulin.

Prediction: 2-1 Oilers

OILERS LINES

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Belanger-Omark
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Lander-Petrell

Smid-Gilbert
Barker-Petry
Sutton-Potter

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is closed.

14 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Predators 1 – Game 4 – 2011-10-17 @ 7:30 PM MST – SNETW”

1. mike says:

ya that lineup looks good but besides the first line nobody is a threat to score the oil only have one legit scoring centre right now they need a veteran centre that can score

2. Trogdor says:

Didn’t see all of last game, but from what I did there were a lot of people taking runs at our kids and Peckham made one of them accountable. That should sit well with our coaches, or at least I hope so. Need someone out there to stand up for the talent.

3. Alan-NottsUK says:

hopefully tomorrow against the flames Gagner will be back and we can actually run 2 scoring lines

as for this well should be interesting to see how the kids cope against 2 of the leagues best D

I’m skeptical Gagner will be back tomorrow even though he went through Renney’s test. Just haven’t heard any talk about him being back right away. Although he was day-to-day. So I hope he’ll be back right away. Much of my hope is based on how him being all but written off by the fan base after this new kid line has done so well. My high expectations for him are admittedly a fair bit lower, but I still think he’s a good player. I’m not really too sure who he should play with though. If Hemsky were healthy, I’d like him to center Smyth and Hemsky. But for now, I’d be happy just having him in the lineup, even if that isn’t the popular opinion.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

I’d like to see him between Smyth and Hemsky, or Pajaarvi and Hemsky

I think Smyth and Omark could have a cycle game which would just royally piss off other teams D

6. Alan-NottsUK says:

apparently Reimer is now known as ‘the Reiminister’ gotta love some of the crazy stuff commentators come up with

Post Game Rant: FANNNNNTASTIC game. The Preds tried to lull the Oilers to sleep, however the kid line was dominant. I mean, dominant. They only managed to get on the score sheet once. However, to quote Ryan Suter from his second period interview: “they were skating circles around us… we have to figure out what to do about it (in the 3rd period)”.

Horcoff and Smyth had a great game too. Omark and Paajarvi also had great chemsitry out there and Belanger didn’t look out of place at all. Ben Eager had a short, but strong game too. He looks like he can play a solid enough game.

8. john says:

Awesome for sure! Smitty with a goal scorers goal (even though I think Rinne blew a tire trying to get back across the net lol), & that was the best I’ve seen Horcoff play since the ’06 playoffs :)

9. dawgtoy says:

Wife got seats from work! Got me a Ryan Smyth bobble head and watched a great game. With a healthy Gagner and Hemsky….wow the possibilities!

10. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki:

Last I read of Gagner was week-to-week…but since he’s passed the infamous ‘test’ I guess he’s ready?

Nice win last night, solid defensive effort – although Nashville’s reluctance to forecheck made it much easier for us to break out. I would have thought any team would be wise enough to apply some pressure on our d-men, but fortunately we were left alone most of the game. Enjoyable result. It was a game we actually controlled! Omark had a very solid game.

Did anyone notice Jones’ (angry) game face when he was given the puck back from Horcs on the EN? Seemed displeased with how things turned out :P

john:

Seriously, why couldn’t the dipshit that was behind me on Saturday trashing Horcoff be at THIS game instead? :P

12. Grass&sOIL says:

The scoreboard flattered the Preds in this one. One of the best executed games I have seen from the Oil in quite some time. I am still a lil bit concerned about a few parts of the teams game, surprisingly this does not include D and goaltending. If that continues then this team could do a lot better then expected.

Oh and I guess there is a first time for everything:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm#?navid=nav-sts-league (top right)

hahah i wonder if they used his mug shot for the NHL pic…

14. john says:

Lol, not sure but Kessel looks like he got out of the drunk tank about 5min before his pic was taken!