GDT: Oilers vs. Canucks – Game 3 – 2011-10-15 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

By , October 15, 2011 11:26 am
-={ Puttin’ On The Foil Presents… }=-
Linus Omark back in the lineup tonight?
logo AT logo
1-2-1 Record 1-0-1
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 15, 2011 @ 8:00 MST
TV: CBC

Tonight the Oilers butt heads with the Canucks at Rexall place. I’ll be at this one, so I’m hoping for a good game. The Canucks haven’t exactly gotten off to a good start with just 1 win in their first 4 games, so there may be a chance that we win this one. We didn’t get the nickname “slump busters” for nothing though.

Dubnyk has been confirmed to be getting the start tonight, which makes me happy. I’m a firm believer in going with your best goalie until they show they need a night off. That hasn’t happened yet, however Dubnyk did get a night off vs. the Wild on Thursday. To his credit, Khabibulin was fairly good in net (although some of his puck handling decisions were scary) and I think that he played like he deserved to be there. But it really is good to see Dubnyk in net for this one, as I firmly believe he can steal games. That is likely what he will need to do against a team like Vancouver.

It really is too bad that we won’t see Ben Eager in the line up for this one, as he has some scores to settle with the Canucks. However, Darcy Hordichuk (as Jason Gregor noted) stated when he was signed that he will keep the Canucks and Flames honest. I’d love to see him do that tonight… maybe even stir the pot a bit.

Prediction: 4-2 Oilers

OILERS LINES

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Belanger-Omark
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Hordichuk-Lander-Petrell

Smid-Gilbert
Barker-Peckham
Sutton-Potter

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Chat is closed.

17 Responses to “GDT: Oilers vs. Canucks – Game 3 – 2011-10-15 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

1. John says:

Tentatively looking forward to this game, real glad Lu is in the Nuck net & equally happy Dubbie is in nets for our side! Expecting a much better effort from Hall, Paajarvi, Omark, & Barker or else we don’t win this one imo.

2. Alan-NottsUK says:

Hopefully we can go more than a period without someone getting injured. Hordichuk on one of his first shifts in game 1 and then Hemsky midway through the first in game 2.

Also hoping for a good game from Omark, he needs to prove he belongs, because with Gagner coming back soon and being capable of playing RW it may not be only between Lander and RNH as to who will be sent down as many people think.

3. Grass&sOIL says:

Sweet!!! Get to see the debut of H2E live in person!!!! This line could one day be one of if not the strongest in the whole league.

I am expecting a thunderous chorus of Boo’s once the Canucks take the ice. It’s one of the reasons I chose to get tickets for this game. I despise this Canucks team like no other. I hate their ways of constant diving and crybabyism. I hate their fans and most off, I hate that little puke Alex Burrows and his acts of hair pulling and finger biting. If my man Peckham were to damage him with ether a huge hit or a couple haymakers it would make my month.

Go Oilers Go!!!! I am pumped for this this one, bringing my Cam Neely Jersery out of retirement for this one!!!! :)

4. Alan-NottsUK says:

“I am big advocate of having a big guy on the fourth line just to protect those guys,” Hordichuk said. “It seems the Canucks are going in a different direction. It’s great for me. It’s great when I get into a game like this because those are the guys you want to try to abuse on the ice.
    “We’ll see how they respond.”

Hordichuk’s hoping to play eight minutes but he may not even play five. In his last game, against Minnesota, he played just 2:59. But he did think his six shifts made a difference.

“We were playing Cal Clutterbuck and I went up to him, and said ‘These guys don’t care if I take a suspension, they’re willing to pay it.’ He didn’t throw one hit all night,” Hordichuk said.

“It’s like having a Hells Angel in here,” Hordichuk said of his role. “They know I’m there. Everyone kind of calms down. Everybody thinks they’re a tough guy until you poke one of them in the ear.
    “That’s my role. It was the same in Vancouver. It calmed down (Alex) Burrows. It calmed down (Kevin) Bieksa.”

5. NorwegianOiler says:

Well, that’s what Hordichuk has to do (as he continues to point out in interviews) to keep having a job in the NHL.

Personally, I hope to all that’s holy that Hordichuk is NOT on the ice with the Sedins. I don’t care how many wet-willies he delivers, they are going to have a blast passing it around him and his 4th line comrades.

I fucking love this quote. Exactly what I wanted to hear. And I love the suspension part.. “they’re willing to pay it”. Exactly what needs to be done for these types of players to be able to do their role.

Hordi is my new favorite player.

Slumming on OMB because I am too lazy to fire up the laptop. iPad tonight.

RNH’s hat trick is official now.. it will stand.. woooootttt

In quite possible the worst managerial decision, I had benched RNH for tonight’s game in the Yahoo pool thinking the Oil would get killed by Vancouver.

Oh well, luckily I had Tavares dressed who also got a hat trick, plus an assist.

12. Grass&sOIL says:

Pretty crazy game to be at……The loss hurts but lots of positives tonight. Besides the obvious of Nuge’s big night I was really impressed with Potter. Played just under 20 and was steady as a rock.

13. John says:

Racki: Heck of a game. Sucks the Oilers lost. I was there live to see the Nuge score his hat trick, as suspect as it was on the 3rd goal (although really it was all his if Hall hadn’t chipped it in anyways). I tossed my hat on the ice, so there is no taking it back now. Was Doobie having an off night? He seemed to be struggling hanging on to the puck, and he gave me a few heart attacks. I was annoyed to no fucking end with 2 idiot university students that thought they were hilarious. Your typical dipshits that yap the whole game and think they’re amusing everyone when really everyone is thinking “god I hope someone tells them to shut the fuck up”. One was a Vancouver fan, and one was a sorry excuse for an Oiler fan that hated on every Oiler, it seemed. I get tired of that b.s. Had RNH not recorded a hat trick, the game might have been ruined for me… but the loss and the shitty fans behind me couldn’t ruin that!

Sorry to hear about the tardo brothers who you had to sit near but they must have been pretty quiet for all RNH’s goals at least lol. Yes Dubnyk was fighting the puck a little more than usual as evident by the several heart stopping (as you experienced) rebounds. It really was that damn last seconds lucky goal by Van in the 2nd that killed the Oilers momentum & seemed to rattle Dubbie more than usual.

14. John says:

Liked the games from Hall, Paajarvi, & Omark but Barker is starting to piss me off! He was the weak link on defence for at least the second game in a row now. Starting to get flashbacks of Foster already but at least Foster hit guys once in a while :/ Makes me ask the question of who has been responsible for 2 hyped up lame duck dmen, 2 seasons in a row now. Hopefully it’s not on the “scouting prowess”of Semenko or something! If it’s just Tambi pulling the trigger on desperate signings of has been or wanna be defencemen then someone better tell him to leave the scouting to the pros!!

On a brighter note, Potter looked real good tonight, making a believer out of me :)

15. hemmerlady says:

was defensively dismayed tonight. A lot of questionable plays in our end.

I saw that Hordi got hurt, is that right? Faaack…

Spirits temporarily buoyed by RNH’s hat trick but v. disappointed by loss (you all know how much I hate losing to YVR.) I missed the 2nd RNH goal – my uncle’s tv screen crapped out at the exact second the goal was scored. Typical. You know, I have personally had a run of terrible luck since not too long after the cup run. (Coincidence? Probably…) My luck has been starting to change recently, and I have a feeling that there will be an upward trend. Maybe there’s some sort of cosmic HL-karma going on here, and it will rub off on the team.

A great effort with some soft goaltending and spotty veteran play. Also, when is Eberle going to join the team. Is it just me or does he seem out of sync with everyone?

In the end, two points that got away because of a few sloppy moments in the game. Overall I am pleased with the team. I see us gelling in about five games. Great attitudes as well.