GDT: Oilers at Wild – Pre-season Game 7 – 2011-09-30 @ 6:00 PM MST – Webcast

By , September 30, 2011 11:17 am
Taylor Fedun - a player to watch

Taylor Fedun - a player to watch

Tonight the Oilers play the Minnesota Wild in their second last pre-season game of the year. This originally wasn’t supposed to be webcast, but looks like the Oilers have done as a favor and fixed that.

Tonight, I’ll be at the Oil Kings opener, so I’ll miss this one. You folks will have to fill me in later.

Players I have had an interest in this pre-season as being on the cusp of making the team (other than the usual suspects, including Hartikainen and Omark): Lennart Petrell and Taylor Fedun.

Here are the lines:

Paajarvi-Belanger- Hemsky
Petrell-Lander-Omark
Hartikainen-Brule-Keller
Hordichuk-O’Marra-Jones

Peckham-Fedun
Chorney-Gilbert
Smid-Petry

Dubnyk

LIVE CHAT

Chat is closed.

9 Responses to “GDT: Oilers at Wild – Pre-season Game 7 – 2011-09-30 @ 6:00 PM MST – Webcast”

Wow, did I jinx Fedun with this pic, or what? Damn. Awful stuff tonight. You never want to see a guy get hurt like that, no matter what team you play for or cheer for. The NHL really needs to end touch icing. The game is a lot faster these days. I’ve always hated this rule because it gives forwards free reign on defense. Guys just don’t give enough of a damn about each other to be trusted not to hurt someone.. intentionally or otherwise,

I just saw this and I blame you 100%. (kidding)

Smid was hurt and so was Chorney.

3. dawgtoy says:

Tough night on the blue line. Swedes looked good.
    Wow does BC place look incredible, wish we could get something done in regards to our arena. Damn I hope we don’t lose this team just when things are getting back on track.

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Terrible Injury to to Fedun. I totally lay the blame on NHL brass and the BOG for having not already changed to No touch icings or at the very least a hybrid system. It’s not like they haven’t had enough time to push this rule change through as this has happened before. When are they gonna wake up?

Yah, this is one that shouldn’t take a bad injury like a broken neck or anything to change the rule. Lots of guys in the hockey world are asking for a change. I don’t get why they haven’t done anything about it. I guess it’s typical that nothing happens until it starts happening to superstars.

From Eric Nystrom’s twitter:

Just tryin to hustle like I have my whole career.Very unfortunate what happened,I would switch places w taylor right now if I could

@jrmehle I appreciate ur support. I feel so bad about what happened I could die

And in an interview:
    “I feel awful,” Nystrom said. “Obviously, I had no intention of ever, ever doing anything like that. I was just racing for an icing and that’s just one of those freak things that happens in those situations. That’s why people always talk about that rule.”

“I don’t think it was a malicious play,” Nystrom said. “If anything I would blame it on the touch icing rule. It was just a freak play. I had no intent of doing that. I feel terrible, so bad right now.”

I’ve been busy last night and all day today getting a fundraiser auction organized, so missed the game. What a terrible injury, something has to change. Other levels of hockey are fine with no-touch icing, NHL needs to deal with this. I don’t even think the hybrid system is going to work because that will add another level of “at the official’s discretion” to a very fast paced game. Just make no-touch icing the rule and protect the players.

Hope Fedun will be ok, hockey is secondary right now but it’s a shame to think his career may be over before it even starts.

Word from Elliotte Friedman: Good news: word is that Taylor Fedun was told his injury is one he can come back from. It will be a lengthy recovery, but can play again.