GDT: Oilers 3, Flames 0 – Pre-season Game 5 – 2011-09-25 @ 6:00 PM MST – SNETW

By , September 25, 2011 11:06 am
Olivier Roy backs up Dubnyk tonight

Olivier Roy backs up Dubnyk tonight

Tonight the Oilers head in to Calgary to play the 2nd half of their back to back with the Flames. Last night’s event was positive. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins recorded another assist after spinning off the boards near the blueline, cutting to the center of the ice and shooting it on net, where hall swept home the rebound. Khabibulin played a very strong 60 minutes. Maybe you might say 59 minutes and 55 ish seconds. The goal he allowed was one that he shouldn’t have allowed. It was a shot from the high point, through traffic that was at the high point. Other than that, he was solid.

More bad news on the injury front. Sam Gagner was driven hard into the end boards by Brendan Mikkelson. Gagner laid on the ice for a few seconds then got to a knee and was in obvious pain. He is day-to-day. The Edmonton Journal says that he took a puck in the ankle on the play, but I’m not seeing it. Pretty sure the impact of the boards did the damage.

Looks like the Oilers are going with a fairly weak lineup for this one (although I think our top line in this game could end up being a real 3rd line for the team). The Flames have dressed a decent line up, but still some key players missing from their roster.

Oilers Lines

27 DEREK SMITH LD

GOALTENDERS
34 MIIKKA KIPRUSOFF G
35 HENRIK KARLSSON G

LIVE CHAT

Chat is now closed.

9 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Flames 0 – Pre-season Game 5 – 2011-09-25 @ 6:00 PM MST – SNETW”

1. dman09 says:

wow I already feel sorry for barker in this game having to be paired with Plante. Plante and Chorney should have been sent down after the game against Van. They are the worst two defenseman that oilers have at camp right now.

I haven’t been paying too close attention to the D yet. I’ll try to tonight though. I didn’t think Chorney was that bad (although I think he was burned horribly on one SHG if I’m not mistaken?). But Plante is a guy that doesn’t have a lot going for him that will impress people. He’s probably going to have a pretty long development curve, but he might be OK in the long (LONG) run.

This one’s in the books. Great game. Doobie was perfect and made some HUGE saves. Our PK looked great (helps that Dubnyk was solid) and our PP was even good. Omark and Eberle made a good PP tandem. Fedun also stood out making great passes on the PP. Petrell is a big guy and he uses his size well, at least from the short moments I was able to see him. He through two huge hits in the third (well, received one but didn’t even move and the Flame went down in a heap).

Good game all around!

Arrgg – can’t believe I forgot about the game! I remembered around suppertime (my time) and then completely forgot about it. Props to Doobie though for the shutout!!

Nice game all around. Potter and Fedun look good. Brule has a lot of rust. A few bad penalties too.

Dubnyk looks like he has arrived. Awesome calming presence in net. I was very happy to see that.

I actually called Brule an idiot at one point, which is not something I normally do when watching a game. Especially players I don’t mind at all. But that one interference penalty he took was incredibly moronic. Everybody knows by now that if a player doesn’t have the puck, you don’t pinch them against the boards when they’re trying to skate past you. It was a stupid penalty to take. It didn’t really matter, but there a penalties players take that can drive me nuts. Referees call that one 100% of the time.

7. John says:

About Brule; I am a little worried with what I see from him already in terms of attitude. It is possible that he has a big chip on his shoulder about nearly being traded or just that he is really pouring the emotion on to try & get his game going but whatever the case, he may end up hurting the team in the process.

John:

I don’t think he’s the type that would have a bad attitude at all. I think he’s just struggling. He missed a lot of hockey.. pretty hard for him to catch up to the NHL.

I also suspect Brule will be gone sometime in the near future… just speculation though.