GDT: Oilers 1 – Canucks 2 – Pre-season Game 3 – 2011-09-22 @ 7:00 PM MST – TSN

By , September 22, 2011 10:43 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

This picture is of course of former Vancouver Canuck, and now Edmonton Oiler, Darcy Hordichuk. I always love when guys play their former teams (although it has now been over year since he played there). Hordichuk only played 2 years with Vancouver (in 08/09 and 09/10), but still he might be inclined to stir a little trouble with his former teammates. Some people got on him a bit for “losing” a fight to Matt Kassian, but I think that’s a silly thing to do. Kassian is a big kid at 6’4″ 232lbs to Hordi’s 6’1″ 212lbs. He did a really good job at keeping Hordichuk at bay, but I thought Hordi was more of the aggressor in that one. Anyways, he also had 6 hits in that game, which is a good part of why we picked him up.

On to the other Oilers, I’m loving the lineup (below). Tonight we’ll get to see Smyth, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle together in full HD, as this one is on TSN. Webcasts are nice, but let’s face it, you really miss a lot of what’s going on. Gagner will center Hall and Pitlick, which also could provide some excitement. Hall was a treat to watch on Tuesday as he was flying all over the ice and generating chances with Belanger and Jones… two guys that aren’t really known for top line talent. Horcoff will center the swedes tonight, which is also an exciting line since this could be one that we see for part of the regular season.

D-pairings are equally interesting. Tonight we’ll see Ladi Smid pair up with Tom Gilbert. We saw this for a bit last year too. Peckham will play with Petry… not sure if they’ve ever paired up before, but this has the makings of a good pairing, to me.

Dubnyk gets the start tonight.

Oilers Lineup

Sauve – Eriksson
Sulzer – Corrado

Legace
Lack

LIVE CHAT

Chat is now closed.

19 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 1 – Canucks 2 – Pre-season Game 3 – 2011-09-22 @ 7:00 PM MST – TSN”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

Seems like the lineups are tilted heavily in favour of the Oilers – Renney ices mostly NHLers, Vancouver the opposite :P

Perhaps a confidence builder for the young players.

Prediction 1: We smoke Vancouver and fans in Oilville rejoice and triumphantly proclaim that we will take a playoff spot this year, Nugent-Hopkins is phenomenal, etc. etc.

Prediction 2: We lose to a hardworking, blue-collar Canucks team and fans disgustedly talk about how we’re taking 30th again.

:lol:

Seeing as how Doobie is in net, I’m confident Prediction 2 won’t happen. :P

3. dawgtoy says:

The real battle tonight will be for the 56″ HDTV in my house, I will want the game vs my wife who will want Grey’s Anatomy. Just love this time of year,Oilers tonight, going to the football game tomorrow. Will Gagner do better tonight with the same wingers, as Lander on Tuesday? Things that make you o hmmmmm.

4. dawgtoy says:

Never mind, duh. Horc is centering the swedes, not Gagner….

It’ll be interesting to see if Horcoff can keep up with those too. I’m skeptical. I think people like to get on Gagner for not playing well enough with Omark and Paajarvi, but I don’t think they play your usual style of game, which I guess is to be expected since they’re Swedes. In that first pre-season game, they seemed to play around the perimeter a lot too. Omark is a heck of a battler though, and Paajarvi has a great shot.

I think Gagner should play with Hemsky more this year and possibly Smyth.. preferably Smyth, actually. I think that will help him break out and silence many of the critics. But I predict the results for Horcoff won’t be anywhere as good as with Hall/Eberle. But who knows… the Sedins play well with a N.A. player with them. I’m curious how this works out.

6. John says:

Except for all the careless penalties & Horcoffs neverending stone hands I like what I’m seeing tonight. Never get tired of watching Omark control the puck down low; man he must have tree trunks for legs!

7. hemmerlady says:

Any other comments on the game? HL was at rehearsal so missed it. Not happy with the score, will already get a ribbing from resident canucks fan at work tomorrow. :(

Hall again looked really good out there.. flying around. Didn’t get the points though. Gagner and Pitlick both seemed to keep up pretty well and each played pretty well in their own rights. RNH made some nice passes, one of them led to Eberle’s goal (which was a thing of beauty). But a couple may have missed the mark. But his great vision was evident.

Hordichuk again played himself into being a fan favorite, having some big hits and 2 fights with Fedoruk.

Horcoff felt invisible to me with the Swedes though.

BTW, Gagner was a remarkable 88% on the dot.. but it was one game.. and against guys that aren’t NHLers just yet.

Taylor Chorney and Jeff Petry both ate up big minutes tonight (together) and seemed to do fairly well for the most part. That decision as to who stays (Petry or Chorney) won’t be an easy one even if fans have their choice made already.

That was obviously all the good.. the Oil lost tonight and got outworked for much of the game by a pretty blue collar team. Peckham seemed to get pretty bad behind the net on one of the goals. On another goal Petry(? or Chorney… I think it might have been Chorney) got caught pinching in. Duco scored a short handed goal on the play.

10. NorwegianOiler says:

I am really tired of seeing the Canucks score that power play goal on us. Across the ice from half-board to half-board, pass in to the man in front and he pivots to tap the puck in from a few feet away. Feels like Burrows and Kesler scored a LOT of goals like that last season (not just on us). Time to play a tighter box on the PK against VAN? Maaaaaybe.

Yah NorOil, me too. It is a common theme that we seem to get beat by those cross ice passes, yet we can’t seem to do the same thing against teams. It has been that way since the MacT days, even.

fugginfigureitoutalready.

12. dawgtoy says:

Omark played last night, I didn’t notice?

Yup he did. He seemed his usual self to me, along with Paajarvi. Although I didn’t really notice Horcoff. Their line didn’t seem to stand out much, on the whole. Hall/Gagner/Pitlick seemed to stand out the most though

Racki:

fugginfigureitoutalready.

Yeah. A good active D man or two should solve that.

15. John says:

I think overall it was yet another honest indication of how little depth this team has still due to the youth. Several times I caught myself thinking;”If only we had Hemmer, Jones, & Whitney playing tonight we’d be alright…” .Problem is with all the injuries this team regularly gets, that WAS a typical late season roster on the ice last night! Never mind that fact that Vancouver had a team of schills in sweaters & still beat our speed & skill. I think this organization might be a little further from winning than we all hope :/

John:

Not worth jumping off the bandwagon just yet….

17. John says:

Racki: Not worth jumping off the bandwagon just yet….Just a reminder, last year the Oilers played the Canucks twice in pre-season. The first time, our scraps beat their usual line up 3-2. The second, our good team beat their scraps 8-2. We all know the Canucks made it out of that ordeal quite well, in the end. Really don’t put any stock in this. It was a 2-1 loss in a pre-season game. Hemsky wasn’t there, nor was Whitney or Barker. Yes, we got outworked and the Oil should have won that one, on paper, but it’s not a big deal at all. Kinds are still getting their legs, finding chemistry, and all that.

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

How many years have Oiler fans been saying “In a few years we’ll be awesome!” Not sure that this will be the year but its nice to hear some of the vets saying all the right things at this time of year. I hope that there is some accountability this year, its just not good enough to lose.

John: Believe me, I am not jumping off any band wagons yet Racki, I know no matter how good or bad this season may be we will get many highlight reel plays from our boys this season. Just thinking we may be at least a season or two further down the road to consistant success than I (and many others) originally thought we’d be. Perhaps not a fair assessment of the club but then again the opposition hasn’t had any more time to gel than the Oil so…

I shouldn’t have said “jumping off the bandwagon” at all, that’s a harsh way to put it. I know you’re not a bandwagoner. I just think that 1 pre-season game in we shouldn’t be worrying too much. Yes, on paper we should have killed that team. But my points still stand that we’re still going to be trying to find chemistry and guys like Hall missed a lot of the end of the year, Whitney/Hemsky are out, etc. etc..

I hate making excuses for them, but I think it’s too early right now to really know what will happen. But I do agree that the depth on this team isn’t a veteran depth, which probably should worry me more than it does.

But I think we have a few young players that will do everything they can to drag this team along (Hall and Eberle especially), and some vets that will do it as well in Horcoff, Hemsky, Jones and Smyth.

I still worry about the blueline a lot. Goaltending.. I think they’re going to play Dubnyk a lot, and I think we’ll be OK with him. We’ll see.