GDT – 2011 Joey Moss Cup – Sep. 18, 2011 @ 2:00PM MST – oilers.nhl.com

By , September 18, 2011 11:52 am

Joey Moss drops the puck for last year's cup.

Joey Moss drops the puck for last year's cup.

This afternoon’s game will be streamed on http://oilers.nhl.com .

Here are the line-ups from the Oilers website:

TEAM BLUE

5 Ladislav Smid – 24 Theo Peckham
25 Andy Sutton – 44 Corey Potter
80 Martin Marincin – 88 Brandon Davidson
82 Jeremie Blain – 58 Jeff Petry

34 Yann Danis
1 Tyler Bunz

Team Blue White looks like the stronger lineup all around from top to bottom. I’ll guess that they’ll win this one. That top line of theirs should be money.

18 Responses to “GDT – 2011 Joey Moss Cup – Sep. 18, 2011 @ 2:00PM MST – oilers.nhl.com”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’ll pick the Blue team too but because of the goaltending. I have more confidence in Bunz and Danis.

2. Jay says:

I’ll pick the Blue team too because Racki’s labelled both teams as “team blue.” :)

I swear this isn’t; the first time I’ve done this… :P

Well, I was bang on about Blue! However, it was actually Team White that I really thought would win, and they lost!

BTW, sounds like Tupulov hit Eager pretty hard and Eager took exception.. didn’t fight him, but I guess had a few words for him. I totally get where Eager’s coming from, but at the same time, I don’t want Tupulov to fall back into that spot where he feels outcast. But hey, it’s an intra-squad game.

4. dawgtoy says:

Tulupov has to make an impression immediately, should it be in an intersquad game, who knows, but he made an impression none the less. Was it the right impression is the key. Eager was pissed, happened right in front of us, we sat behind that bench. They’ll settle it I’m sure later in camp one way or the other. Was extremely Impressed with Hartikainen, might as well pencil him on the roster now, he ain’t going anywhere. Somebody also better sign Martindale, the magnificent bastard you got skills. He is big and didn’t look out of place one little bit. Thought that was one of the better lines aside from the players that already own roster spots.

5. dawgtoy says:

Also, RNH has a wicked ability to be a pest without the puck when looking for the turnover. He doesn’t give up on the play and loves to dig for the puck. 3-0 vs Belanger on the dot as well. Take it for what it was in an intersquad game. Eberle looks ready to rock, he and Hall are magic, not sure if they should be broken up as a tandem.

So any mention I’ve read about Tulupov has been the rough stff with ERager n Hall…how did he look otherwise? can he skate/pass/shoot?

I might watch the game later, but Jason Gregor says he skates well. Not sure about the passing/shooting abilities. Hard to really judge someone just from a game like this anyways though. It will take some time. But I definitely love that Tulupov is on-ice angry 24/7… just he won’t make many friends with teammates easily being that way.

Early in the game it looks like I’ve seen him pinch in twice now where it was maybe a little risky. The first time he managed to keep the puck in, nicely. The second time (and I’m not even sure it was him, the video quality is too poor to tell, but he was on the ice immediately following the play.. I believe it was him), he took himself completely out of position and Martindale got a breakaway.

Igor Ulanov comparisons are obvious for the above reason..

Oh my lord…. Just watched the 1st period, and Jack Michaels just committed a heinous error, calling the Joey Moss Cup the “David Moss Cup”. lol

Wow!

12. NorwegianOiler says:

Noticed the David Moss cup reference too. He didn’t. Bleh.

Not a very competitive game, as expected, aside from the Tulupov check on Eager. Brule looked energetic, involved, though. Hartikainen the same. Still not much can be drawn from a glorified practice skate, even if it is fun to watch.

Racki: Yah really, Tulupov would be good to hang on to (at the AHL level for now though probably). What was this business about him roughing up Hall though? I read it on Lowetide… didn’t see it for myself. He definitely needs a Russian buddy here though to help him

He wants a contract and he is showing what he does best. We just have not seen this kind of desire in camp for a number of years. Nothing to worry about IMHO. His job is to get the attention of the GM and coaches and show they were smart to invite him. I’d say he’s doing that well so far.

We need a discusion about the contracts. Let’s say Tulupov gets a contract. We are then at 50. What if RNH makes the team? Who is in and who is out. What about McCabe or Tryvainen or another guy who is not signed like Martindale? What are the options? I honestly don’t know. Can we outright release guys this time of year? Trades are hard to pull off this time of year because all the other teams are in the same boat.

I can see a situation where we would like to have an extra three or possibly four guys signed who are not yet. What does Tambi do other than evaluate?

Are buyouts available this time of year? So many balls in the air.

Eager sounds pretty cool now about the hit he took from Tulupov yesterday:

“It’s one of those things,” Eager said. “I wasn’t really expecting it, and I let up a bit on him. It’s the way it goes some times and you’ve got to be ready for it. Even in an intrasquad game, you’ve got to be ready.”

I don’t really think McCabe is being invited to the Oil camp. Skeptical on that one. But I guess you never know. As far as releasing guys, I think buyouts are the closest to that, and I don’t think they can buy players out right now, no. I believe that is from June 15-30th that they have to do that. So they’ll need to trade someone or hope someone is claimed on waivers or something.

Racki:
    Eager sounds pretty cool now about the hit he took from Tulupov yesterday:

Which really sucks if we want to sign Tulupov and another player like RNH stays up. We can’t do it. I think 46 is the sweet spot. Maybe 47. maybe we get lucky and somebody gets claimed on waivers who is nothing special.

17. Mr.Majestyk says:

Thats where its nice to have a GM as a friend so that if they have room for contracts they’ll be willing to take. A player like Chorney or another player that we might lose on waivers but we intend to send to the minors might get traded for a pick instead.

Jason Gregor seems to figure Chorney won’t be picked up on waivers. I hope we end up seeing Petry here. A) he’s a right hand d and b) he’s got the brightest future. He might actually be a guy who can hold up big minutes right now. I’d prefer if he were eased into things though. But right now the pairings are starting to look like:

Whitney Petry