Duane Sutter added to Oilers Pro Scouting staff

By , August 22, 2011 7:09 pm
Duane Sutter hired on as pro scout

Duane Sutter hired on as pro scout

The Oilers have hired Duane Sutter on as a pro scout. This I see as a fairly good hiring. The Oilers pro scouting has been BRUTAL. Note: This is PRO scouting, not AMATEUR scouting (a ship that “Magnificent Bastard” Stu MacGregor runs quite well). Here’s hoping that Sutter helps these guys figure out an ass from an elbow.

10 Responses to “Duane Sutter added to Oilers Pro Scouting staff”

Can’t be much worse than it has. I actually think that this Sutter is a “good” Sutter. I don’t see the harm in him watching NHL players and giving Tambi some input on them. He has been around the NHL for a long time.

The Flames have been pretty successful with their PRO scouting, save say…Kotalik, Staios, Matt Stajan, Olli Jokinen and Olli Jokinen. :P

I’ll wait and see on this. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really impressed except that the guy lives close to the team. Hopefully it was Darryl that was responsible for the above names and not Duane. Like I said, I’ll wait to see how he does but I am guarded.

3. oilinblood says:

i am a bit of a tambi basher but for the few trades that he has done, very few trades, and eliminating the signings – he has been no improvement on klowe- i feel its good for the oilers to have a guy like duane to advise tambi a bit and be available for covert missions behind enemy lines.
    blah.
    need rhd
    speaking of scouting; what is withh our recent draft trend of finnish goalies? perhaps its because of the fact some say the finnish league might be the closest league to the nhl in terms of defensive structure? meh
    jfhdjsdhfuhewfkh
    enhance
    djskhfjhefhjweha
    enhance

Perhaps because there have been some spectacular Finnish goaltenders that seemingly came out of nowhere..

Pekka Rinne (8th rounder), Nick Backstrom (free agent), Miikka Kiprusoff (5th rounder), Antti Niemi (free agent), Antero Niittymaki (6th rounder),

Kari Lehtonen (2nd overall), and Tuukka Rask (21st overall) are examples of goaltenders that were highly ranked from the get go.

Really, the Finns seem to excel at a couple of things. Goaltending is definitely one of them. Given the list of names I named off the top of my head in the “out of nowhere” department, I’d say it’s definitely an area worth exploring. Detroit made big successes by paying attention to Euros when most scouts were focusing heavily on North American players. It is GREAT to see the Oilers are focusing more on European born players. Love it.

And I love that they aren’t afraid to give a tryout or two to some undrafted europeans too.

5. oilinblood says:

i just hope they paid as much attention to other leagues …is all

Oh yah, for sure. I think it’s obvious they have a good beat on Swedish leagues as well too. And they’ve got guys dedicated to the Euro leagues apart from their N.A. guys. The way I see it, they broadened their horizons without weakening say the N.A. scouting. Pretty happy with wear our amateur scouting is at, for sure. And it seems like they’re taking the pro euro scouting seriously too. Somehow their NHL pro scouting is lagging, however. I don’t know if Duane Sutter makes us any better, but right now I’d take just about anyone for the hope of improvement in that area.

7. John says:

I don’t know, I am struggling with the logic of this aquisition. Say what you will about the Flames being able to ice a competitive team over the last 7 or 8 years (even when struggling to make the playoffs), but really their free agent signings & trade pick-ups haven’t amounted to a hill of poo with the exception of Glenx, Cammalleri, & maybe Morrison. So the question is what makes this Sutter so worthy of becoming part of a young team who actually has potential to become something awesome with the right managing?

I’m leaning the same way John. I have not seen anything envious out of that organization in over two decades and especially not the last one.

He really wasn’t in Calgary that long.

He was a pro-scout in Florida though from 2003-2008. I’m not so sure that is a big plus on the ol’ NHL resume either, however.

The way I see it though, our pro scouting is horrible, and another addition might make it better.. doubt it will make it worse. But I am not expecting much out of it either, mind you. I think maybe an overhaul might be in order.

The new OBC here seems to be all the guys that were on the outside looking in when the former OBC were winning cups. :P

Edit: you also have to question why they wouldn’t renew his contract there..

Yeah, Florida…..is a model of what not to do. No ringing endorsements there. “Oh! You were with Florida! Please sign here immediately. We really want some of that!”. :^/