Winnipeg Jets Logo revealed

By , July 22, 2011 3:50 pm
Winnipeg Jets logos.. click for a better image

Winnipeg Jets logos.. click for a better image

The Winterpeg Jets have a new logo, shown above.

My take… hmm.. less than stunning. But I’d like to see it on a uni before I write it off.

EDIT:

THESE ARE NOT THE REAL JERSEY DESIGNS BELOW, RATHER CONCEPTS!

Added a couple of very rough jersey concepts. One based on a newly hack-jobbed logo based on G&S’ suggestion of combining the two main logos. Credit to Avi at hockeyjerseyconcepts.blogspot.com for the shirt design… I figured the Columbus Blue Jackets had a design that probably would work, and swiped this fellow’s concept… thus why Nash is captain of the Jets.. :P

Now with the new primary logo:

Now I know that my quick hack-job is nothing special, but I kinda wish they’d combine the two logos like G&S suggested, and maybe even add the team name like I’ve done above. I think it makes it look less plain. But that may just be me.

Scroll down through the comments for some jersey mock ups.. this is one I did that is my fave:

Click Me

41 Responses to “Winnipeg Jets Logo revealed”

I think the top two logos would make good arm patches, but aside from that, they are a little weak, in my mind. Passing grade (and barely). :P

2. swanee says:

I agree, gr8 shoulder patches..

3. Grass&sOIL says:

I would have put the main logo into the secondary logo (the one with the hockey sticks), Instead of the red maple leaf.

New Jets logo(s)/wordmark. Not sure how I feel about it yet. One concept I came across looked a little better than this I think but it’s tough to say without seeing the jersey. I’m thinking the “silver” will be like our “copper” and have a shiny element to it.

I like it. I am sure the old jersey and logo will be for sale as well. 3rd jersey?

Ah, guess I’m pretty late (posted in the general discussion). The best concepts I’ve seen so far is this one: http://cargocollective.com/davidson#1555671/The-Winnipeg-Jets

If you’re a fan of the Jets or concept art I would highly recommend taking a peak. It’s concepts like this that make the actual release less spectacular but I suppose I’ll wait till I see the jersey first to make that decision final. :razz:

7. dawgtoy says:

Racki, you spelled Winnipeg wrong in the title bro. FYI, I’m a terrible speller, just thought you’d like the heads up buddy.

8. dawgtoy says:

Based on the fact my grandfather served in the RCAF during WW2 and was stationed in Winnipeg, I like what True North has done here. A little conservative and old fashioned, but I’ll wait to see how the logo looks on their jerseys before passing judgement. Still really happy for Winnipeg and my guess is they’d be happy with a bed sheet come opening night, so long as they have their beloved team.

dawgtoy:

Wow, guess that was a Friday afternoon rush job.. :P Thanks for pointing it out.

G&S.. I should photoshop that… that’s a good call…

Based on G&S’ suggestion:

11. Alan-NottsUK says:

I kinda like the simplicity of it.

dawgtoy:

Yah this is definitely a good point and changes my stance on things a bit. It represented the look they were going for, which was to pay tribute to Canada’s Air Force.

For me, it’s a little too simple looking, but I will also reserve full judgement until I see it on some jerseys.

Realistically if we’d never seen the old Winnipeg Jets logo and they released it today, I think the majority say it’s garbo. On one old logo the jet looks like nothing like a plane/jet (seriously.. what the hell is that? a bomb?), on the other one I believe is a Boeing jet. They had a different meaning behind the name “Jets” back then then they do now, and I fully respect the current meaning. Unless you believe in one of the old tall tales of how the team name originated, the Jets of old didn’t really have any meaning behind the old name at all. They’ve put meaning behind it now.

Most new logos take time to grow on me. I think this will before long. I’m really interested to see a uniform with it on it too. I assume they’ll do shoulder patches with the wings, which would be cool.

13. john says:

Wow, less than stellar logo! It looks like they just ripped off Air Cadets & CAF crests then combined them :/ The first thing I think of when I see the two bottom sets of crests is the Blue Jays. Maybe they will grow on me but right now I’m glad not to be a Jets fan lol.

john: lol, I said the same thing to trodgor at work about the Blue Jays. Glad I’m not the only one that thought that.

I’ll fully reserve judgement though for a bit, as I see to hate just about every new logo, but some of them end up looking really good once you get used to them (Ex. the Preds).

The RCAF-style logo with the Jet on it just feels like it’s missing something.. like wrap the team name on there or something and it might be OK.

My first reaction was that it was awful, but I’m slowly warming up to it and over time might like it. Right now, I’m on the fence though. But I like what it represents.

RCAF was involved in designing the logo. That’s why it looks almost identical to theirs. I like it.

Were they “involved” or were they just the inspiration behind it. Clearly it’s meant to resemble the RCAF logo, but I just wonder if they had any involvement. The reason I ask is because Icethetics on Twitter raised the question about how Canadians feel about a non-military business taking a military logo and making money off of it. I don’t really take issue with it, but if the RCAF was involved, I say it should be even less of an issue. But some folks might raise a bit of a stink over it.

I want to see a jersey mock up done by fans. I went through some fan made logos, and some were pretty cool. Would like to see what fans come up with for a jersey look. I still had hopes for something better though.

I know we all love our nostalgia, and such, but I would say the two top logos are better than the old designs.

Apparently they were “consulted” on the look, whatever that means. There is no rip off here. I think it likely went along the lines of the Jets wanting to do it right and sought the RCAFs opinion on the final logos. That would be my best guess as the only thing I have been able to see is that they were “involved in the design”. I think it’s simply the Jets wanting them to approve of the logos as it honours them. Nothing more.

OK here’s my concept jersey but with a bit of a remix of the logos just to give an idea of what I was talking about (and based on G&S’ suggestion of putting the wings/sticks in the primary logo):

Here’s a shot with the primary logo. Call me crazy, but I like the top one. This one with the basic logo.. not so sure.

I’m sure the team will come up with a better jersey design than my quick hack job / rip off of the CBJ concept jersey.

chucker:
    Apparently they were “consulted” on the look, whatever that means. There is no rip off here. I think it likely went along the lines of the Jets wanting to do it right and sought the RCAFs opinion on the final logos. That would be my best guess as the only thing I have been able to see is that they were “involved in the design”.I think it’s simply the Jets wanting them to approve of the logos as it honours them. Nothing more.

Yah I really have no problems with it either way. I think it’s a good way to give meaning to the team name. It also wouldn’t have been the first time that a patriotic “symbol” was used for profit, so to speak (see Calgary uni, Mtl team name, Toronto as well, for example… plus Columbus with the Ohio state flag representation and others I’m sure). No big deal, really.

21. Grass&sOIL says:

Oh wow!!! I Really like what you have done with the 1st jersey from my concept Racki. Looks really sharp and is much better then just having the red maple leaf in the middle.

Yah, I actually like that one too. The font could probably use some work, but i just threw whatever in there quickly. As far as Jersey #2.. it just needs some more pizzaz, if you ask me. Arm badges of the winged logo might help.

I seem to recall hearing them say that the jersey look will blow our minds though.. but obviously they’re not going to say “the jerseys are going to look kinda shitty for year one, but we’ll re-design later..”

Here’s another concept I came up with, using the primary logo with the secondary as arm badges. I neglected a number on the arms. Not really keen to the idea of these badges on the shoulders, so I figured I’d try this out:

Maybe looks a little too much like the NYR though..

But here’s a wild idea (which some might love, and some might say “thank god you don’t work for the guys designing jerseys…”)…. what about the “vintage brown” hockey pants with these (I mean the regular short pants, not the stupid cooperalls of course). The gloves would match as well too, and the socks and helmet would match the jersey. I wish I were talented enough to show the inside of my brain so you can see what I’m thinking… I think one of the other teams pulled it off recently though.. maybe at a Winter Classic.. Mtl? NYR??? It might be seen as a bit of a rip off.

Edit: it might have been Calgary I was thinking.. they didn’t do what I was thinking though.. not the same. I’m talking a leather look. Not sure if they could make it work on the pants though. Anyways, that was just a weirdly random idea.

24. USAoiler says:

I would love it if they had brown pants, it would at least it would give them some originality, right now though I see their jerseys being the same color of the maple leafs (and lightning, and blue jackets) which I think is a missed oppertunity for breaking through the boring jerseys tradition.

25. dawgtoy says:

Very well done with those mock ups Racki, very nice work indeed. I see that and it puts a smile on my face, might have to order me one of those. They look good to me so far.

USAOiler: first off, welcome to the site. Secondly, exactly what I’m thinking. I think it would look pretty classy and stand out above the rest of the usual uniforms. I didn’t think I’d like it, but I even actually like the latest jersey I mocked up above that has the primary logo as the main crest and the secondary logo on the sleeves. Maybe the numbers would be possible if the logos were pushed up towards the shoulder a bit and the stripes were more on the cuffs. I like it as is, but it would need some numbers on the sleeves somewhere.

It’ll be just a bit longer, but I’m doing some full uniform mock ups with what I was talking about with the vintage brown pants/gloves..

I love the first one with the hockey sticks. Nice work as always.

OK, here is kind of my vision of the uniform that I was describing. I think it actually makes decent use of the existing logos and gives it a vintage feel, which I think works with the whole RCAF montage they’re probably going for. :P Thoughts?

Click the pic for a bit bigger picture.

It was kinda hard for me to paint in the gloves/pants properly, so it doesn’t fully do what I was wanting, but I think you get the idea.

P.S., how lame are my saturdays? lol

P.P.S., I still feel like some team did a similar looking jersey/uni combo with brown pants (other than calgary) not that long ago. Maybe I saw it in the EA Sports hockey games as one of the Montreal alternate unis..

P.P.P.S., seeing these logos on a full uniform actually makes me think it isn’t so bad after all. I actually would say that i like it.

Racki:
    OK, here is kind of my vision of the uniform that I was describing. I think it actually makes decent use of the existing logos and gives it a vintage feel, which I think works with the whole RCAF montage they’re probably going for. Thoughts?

Click the pic for a bit bigger picture.

P.S., how lame are my saturdays? lol

Wicked concept Racki, props. Would you be able to lend me the psd. file of that image? :razz: I literally spend hours (3-4) working on one jersey, I would like to see if there is a more simple way to do things by looking at your work.

Calgary had the brown pants for the winter classic. (beige)

zackman35: Wicked concept Racki, props. Would you be able to lend me the psd. file of that image? :razz:I literally spend hours (3-4) working on one jersey, I would like to see if there is a more simple way to do things by looking at your work.

I definitely could, but to be honest with you, it’s nearly completely “flat” now (i.e. no layers). Although before starting this, I had downloaded a jersey template (namely the Boston one) from here:

I just simply (well, it was a pain in areas) used the fill tool and re-colored areas (Although in hindsight, using the replace color feature probably would have been worlds faster). The gloves were a bit of work because they blend into the shirt, but now that I’ve got them separate colors, you could probably just use my jpeg..? (click the image for the full sized pic)

There’s also a layered PSD in that link too

Chucker: I caught that, but even those pants aren’t quite the color I was going for. Remember the old brown leather hockey gloves? (of course you do, you’re ancient) Well, I was thinking those gloves and pants that looked that color too. Although maybe the beige might work.

/endmarthastewartadviceforthenhl

33. NorwegianOiler says:

Put me down for a “bit too generic” on the new Jets logo. I absolutely love the combination Grass&sOil suggested and Racki photoshopped though. That’s what the logo should be and if anyone’s wise in Winnipeg they’ll send you a token fee to use the ‘new’ scheme ;)

34. oilinblood says:

i think its the nicest logo in the nhl. the combo idea is nice but makes me think of the redwings when the wings pop out of a circle. the combo idea also seems a little cluttered. i love all the logos on their own. not a big fan of the “kiddie writing” jets for the last two pieces (in the op).

As far as the jet.. i am a nerd as much as a jock and i got to say if i chose a jet outline for a canadian team calling themselves jets… there is only one outline that makes sense and that is the avro arrow cf105. the jet that politics destroyed.

G&S concept by racki actually doesnt appeal to me as much as rackis original combo, when comparing the 2 combos … but it looks like a patch which fits the uniformj mentality if you want to go in that direction. i like the G&S one for the patch loook – which has alot to do with the lettering being in boxes and everything looking like one inclusive piece. interesting concepts with different pros and cons. but patches dont go on your chest in the military. i think im back to the original jets concept…primary being chest, secondary being shoulder patch, and the last two being for thongs or something.

edit — you can put a chevron on for A’s and two chevrons for the captain.

OIB: the Chevrons would be a novel, cool idea. I like it. I don’t they’d do it.. but cool idea.

36. dawgtoy says:

Love the chevron idea, but they denote the rank of private (single) corporal (double) and sergeant (triple). The Captain insignia is two bars. So single bar for an A and double bar for the C. I seriously love the idea, but it has to be correct.

New Jets jersey? Thanks RT from Treenas Oil!

Zack: that’s pretty blatantly obvious that this is the Capitals’ jersey.. someone obviously just hacked on the Jets logo and took off the shoulder patches (if they even went THAT far).

I’m beginning to think more and more that this TreenasOil isn’t really anyone in the know.

I thought so, man do I feel dumb. And it wasn’t really TreenasOil who posted it herself, she just RT it? I’m not sure, still not 100% on twitter lingo yet…

On another note, I think I found a suitable layout. Would you be able to test it Racki? Then I can start working on a skin!

EDIT: Read comments and there have been quite a few problems apparently, I’ll keep looking for one… Biggest thing so far is it doesn’t seem to cooperate with Firefox. Darn it!

Edit II: This is the closest representation I’ve found for the new Jets jersey. Nice, clean and simple although I have a strong suspicion that once they release the vintage third, something similar could happen to this new scheme… Just like our copper and blue jerseys, but I don’t think the Jets fans would mind at all if that happened. I think this would be a respectable third jersey. Anyways without further adue: http://i54.tinypic.com/t64j76.jpg

40. Joseph3129 says:

Yes this jersey concept is very cool. Now just try to make the white version for away and a alternate jersey. But … FORGET the grey pants!! Its disgusting and its not a good concept wiht the grey pant. I sugger blue pants.

Zack: If I were a jets fan, I would definitely be happy with that jersey.