Oilers re-sign Taylor Chorney and Ryan O`Marra to one year deals

By , July 15, 2011 1:39 pm

The Oilers have re-signed Ryan O’Marra and Taylor Chorney to one year deals. Details are still to come.

I actually like what we saw from Chorney last year until he got hurt. It was a short preview though, but he came on stronger last year, maybe due to development in the AHL. Ryan O’Marra will be in tough to squeeze into the lineup, so I expect he’ll play most of the year in Oklahoma City.

13 Responses to “Oilers re-sign Taylor Chorney and Ryan O`Marra to one year deals”

I bet he slots into 4th line center (O’Marra). Horcoff, Gagner, Belanger and O’Marra.

I know you have your heart and hopes set on Lander, but experience in the show means for a whole bunch. (I feel like I’m missing a center…)

Give Lander a game or 20 in the A before promoting him. Or a whole season.

2. Dman09 says:

You are missing centers RNH and VV and Brule. I think they would be slotted ahead of O’Marra. I think the injury may have saved Chorney’s contract this year. They didn’t get a good enough look at him as they had planned so he has another chance to show them what he is made of. I don’t think the O’Marra signing means much. I think RNH is going to force his way onto this team and not even bother looking back.

Dman09: You are missing centers RNH and VV and Brule. I think they would be slotted ahead of O’Marra.

I did miss them, however I would disagree that they slot ahead of him. I would guess that unless the Nuge wows at camp he’s going back to the Rebels, and Brule you have health questions (but yeah, a healthy Brule slots in higher than O’Marra), and I would argue that VV could use more A seasoning than O’Marra.

Don’t get me wrong, O’Marra is just a stop-gap until the kids get better but right now I’d see him better than those 3 (outside of Brule, but health and didn’t he play mostly wing previously?).

My 2 cents and all.

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Kind of concerned about how many contracts we now have (49 according to CapGeek). We still need to go out and get a goalie(be it for the AHL or NHL) so that would bump us right to the 50 contract limit, Not too sure how it works though. Do guys on their ELC’s that have not kicked in yet(RNH, Rajala) go against the limit? They are part of the 49 on cap geek so I hope they don’t count against it because I would like for the team to have a lil flexibility in case some kind of out of the blue signing came along.

I am not sure how that limit works exactly either, but I think if RNH is in junior, he doesnt count on the limit. Don’t quote me on that. However we can sign some AHL only dude with no NHL contract to play goalie too without hitting that limit.

There seems to be some MSM guys and such thinking that Brule is going to be put on waivers as soon as he’s healthy though, so that will help.

The 50 contract limit is only a concern if we’re intending on picking up players though anyways. Who all else do we want, aside from another goaltender? We might see some less significant bodies go in the future here too for picks, I would imagine.

G&S :

That tells a lot about it. FYI, it mentions that 18/19 year olds returned to junior don’t count towards the 50 limit until they’ve played 11 or more NHL games in one season:

“But 18 and 19-year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract maximum, until they have played at least 11 NHL games in one season.”

7. Grass&sOIL says:

Ahhh. Thanks for that link. Really clarifies things and it is good to see we still have some wiggle room!

I liked the small showing of Chorney we got, so a one-year deal there isn’t a shockto me. I wanna see him for one more year, then we can tell if he deserves to be here long term or not.

O’Marra will be an AHL player/injury callup. I’m actually a little shocked we brought him back. With all the contracts we have I thought he was gone for sure. Contracts have to be moved some how some way. I think another trade or two is on the way, only makes sense. RNH will get 9 games, then I expect him to go back unless he forces himself onto the team as you guys mention. Pitlick and Hamilton are probably AHL’ers, so expect them to count towards that 50.

Chorney has to clear waivers and I think he would get picked if put on waivers. Unless he has a terrible camp, he’s starting the year on the big club. I liked his play last year until he got injured. He was definitely better than the Chorney of the last few seasons.

Ahh yes, right you are about waivers, and I agree with the rest of it too.

I should have remembered this, because I was commenting on Lowetide about it a couple/few weeks back.

That complicates things a bit.

O’Marra does not have to clear waivers. Thought I should add that.

Possible centers:
    Horcoff
    Gagner
    Belanger
    Brule
    VandeVelde
    Lander
    O’Marra
    RNH

I think Brule will be waived when he is healthy.

RNH will be here to start the season. If he doesn’t cut it yet, then I think Lander gets a chance. Failing that, I’d guess VV again, then O’Marra.

I agree on Brule. He willbe a guy they try to move before camp, if healthy, or not. :P

I think Lander starts on the farm to lead the team. The fourth centre spot is between VV, RNH and O’Marra, but i think Omar is gonna get droppedfurther downthe depth chart.

I just havethe gut feeling (gas maybe) that RNH is going back to Red Deer. I just have a feeling.

Lander should have a great camp and alredy has some fellow countrymen on the team. I have a feeling he will make the coaches have to make some really tough choices, and it’s about time we had that kind of a camp. If nothing else, it will be very exciting compared to past camps and last year’s was pretty darn good.