Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?

By , July 1, 2011 9:18 am
The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

So the time dubbed as “free agent frenzy” starts at 10:01AM MST today. TSN2 will have a show on about it. Will it be a dud? Will it be a big day? The list of UFA names this time around isn’t really one that excites me all that much, to be honest. For us, I would be surprised if we even made a single signing.

The Oilers did attempt to make a splash on day one last year though when they signed defenseman Kurtis Foster. However, that was the extent of their “free agent frenzy”, at least for the big club. And quite frankly, I don’t think that turned out so well. But, there is still a chance that Tambellini will make something happen today. My guess is that we see Zenon Konopka signed or possible Cam Barker. One or more other needs might be filled days later as players get a bit more desperate.

Anyways, feel free to discuss the names signed by the Oilers and other teams in the comments section.

166 Responses to “Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?”

Andy Sutton deal to Edmonton is now done. Welcome aboard Andy!

ALSO…..Eric Belanger is getting an offer from the Oilers according to Dan Tencer.

Fleischmann signs in Florida. Tallon building strong too, Fliesch a bit of a medical risk but good player none the less. I’m liking what’s going on over there too however they seem to be lacking a bit down the middle. A lot better than two years ago go though…

Panthers are the big winners today, no doubts. Oilers looking better, but man wouldn’t Belanger look good here?

Belanger an Oiler. This according to the same person that broke the Foster deal.

5. Grass&sOIL says:

This is what I am hoping for in Sutton:

AND Belanger is now an Oiler, its official.

Wow BO, good call! I think you should be a front runner for the honored position of POTF insider… :razz: Seriously though good job on breaking it! How’s the Arnott front now, nonexistent?

8. Grass&sOIL says:

Bostonoiler:
    Tambi’s thumb still up his ass.

Far from it. BO you really need to learn patience on days like these LOL. So far my Grade for Tamby today is a B+

9. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler:

Panthers are the losers of the day in my opinion. They’ve been forced to overspend on a lot of second rate players because 1) They are not a very attractive destination 2) Everyone knows they were 25M below the cap floor to begin the day.

Versteeg was a decent addition at a fair price, but Fleischmann and his issues for 4 years at over 4M per per? Pass. Theodore at any price? Pass. Marcel Goc at 1.7M? Meh. 4 years of the Jovo Cop at his age? Very risky. They’ve painted themselves into a corner and are now walking into the mess. Not impressed :D

Belanger is at least a smart forward. I think I like that move. I’d rather a 2 year deal, but fair enough really.

zackman35: Wow BO, good call! I think you should be a front runner for the honored position of POTF insider… Seriously though good job on breaking it! How’s the Arnott front now, nonexistent?

Arnott is no longer an option I’ve heard, they filled that spot. Oilers are looking at AHL vets and a goalie to play in OKC. Looking to deal Cogliano for a pick to open a roster spot up by the sounds of it.

Rangers outbid for Richards, someone put in a bigger offer. Wonder who.

Bostonoiler:
    Rangers outbid for Richards, someone put in a bigger offer. Wonder who.

The Leafs?

On the AHL front I’m hoping Giroux resigns…

Flames offer Richards a 9 year deal, worth $64 Million.

Oilers getting offers for Gagner and Cogliano. Not yet willing to move Gags, open to dumping Cogs (I bet Cogliano is gone by the end of the day).

15. NorwegianOiler says:

NorwegianOiler: Kobasew to COL 2yrs x 1.25M. I’d much rather have Kobasew than Eager or Hordichuk. Checking winger with some offensive talent as well.

I’m not up for trading Gags unless the deal is significant. What are the offers like BO?

Ok guys, Oilers contact Tomas Vokoun today, and he said no, but all of a sudden according to my source that has been right all day, Tomas Vokoun and the Oilers are talking. Stand by.

Oilers are done signing NHL players for today, but they might have found a trade for Nik Khabibulin, with Vokoun being possible a few days done the road.

20. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler: I’d rather Eager and Hordichuck, mainly because Chucky always seems to get hurt.

Hordichuk’s an injury liability too. Throughout a season, I think Kobasew would play more minutes than either of the other two, regardless of injuries. Kobasew can capably handle 3rd line minutes and PK time – whereas the other two must be sheltered to be effective. He’s not as aggressive, but Chucky can play :D Too bad Tambellini seems a bit too caught up in the size element alone. There’s more to hockey and we’re likely going to be discussing it throughout this season. Sutton’s lack of mobility. (Maybe Barker’s too), Eager and Hordichuck’s lack of hockey sense…

Negative, I know.

Belanger is a nice signing though!

Oilers done TODAY signing NHL guys. AHL moves will be made, and possibly another trade or two.

Bostonoiler:

zackman35: Well Millhouse (Tencer) says otherwise but I hope you’re right BO, I would rather see Vokoun than Khabi (if we can dump Khabi) but Vokoun would only be a upgrade not a solution.

Vokoun won’t get done today.

Oilers have offers for Cogs, Gagner and Philly wants Hemsky (you can bet Jagr is a reason for that)

So Belanger is 3 years at $1.75M. I like him… seems high length/salary though. But at least we won’t have faceoff troubles anymore, so long as he stays healthy.

25. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler:

Bostonoiler:

Bostonoiler: Vokoun won’t get done today.

Why do you sound like you are connected? :P These things are phrased more bombastically than any of the twitter accounts they are taken from :D

26. alan says:

Ok I’ve been at a wedding today, just got signal back on my phone anyone care to sum up all trades signings and reasonable oil based rumors for me?

NorwegianOiler: Why do you sound like you are connected? These things are phrased more bombastically than any of the twitter accounts they are taken from

Just re-saying what I heard lmao, so far so good today from this person.

28. NorwegianOiler says:

alan:

Oil sign:

Darcy Hordichuk 1yr .825M
    Ben Eager, 3yrs 1.1M on average
    Cam Barker, 1 yr 2.25M
    Eric Belanger 3yrs 1.75M on average

Oilers trade:

Kurtis Foster for Andy Sutton, although there might be a pick involved too?

If Philly wants Hemsky, ST should go hard after Couturier. I can’t see that happening at all though. Maybe another D-man? Matt Carle or Coburn + pick or something? Our right wing would be decimated though. And Twitter blew up.

So what are the thoughts on the Sutton/Foster deal?

Oilers center depth looking a lot better.
    Center:
    Horcoff
    Gagner
    Belanger
    Cogliano
    Nugent-Hopkins*
    Lander*

* Fight for positions in camp.

I’d imagine Cogs will be dealt with the overcapacity of forwards. Still not a designated first line center but hopefully we have one developing in the works.

And is your source TreenasOil, BO?

32. Grass&sOIL says:

“SALARIES ARE OUT OF CONTROL!”-Brian Burke [translation] “I struck out again” I look forward to this years annual Brian Burke, Another failed FA day rant!!!!

33. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler:
    So what are the thoughts on the Sutton/Foster deal?

We got better defensively, more aggressive. Sadly, Sutton is older, and just as slow as our towering friend going the other way. I like it, but it’s not as if this is a slam dunk in my opinion. Love the “are you an expert interview” Sutton did – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVdVJ1sRJI

BO: No offense taken on my previous comment I hope, because none was intended.

Bostonoiler:
    So what are the thoughts on the Sutton/Foster deal?

Great deal for us. Fill a need (tough d-man) and dump a useless player. Basically I see it as Barker + Sutton in place of Foster. Much better off.

35. dawgtoy says:

Thank ST, great day for Oiler fans. Love the moves…except Hordichuk, but …. Two thumbs up boys!

36. Grass&sOIL says:

Also signed an AHL guy Potter:

Oilers add Corey Potter to a 1 year deal he is a defender. (AHL signing)

Racki: Corey Potter, Harry’s brother, will add some magic to the OKC Barons’ blue line.BTW, props to someone known as “@TreenasOil” who somehow managed to bat a thousand today, calling out the signings/trades well ahead of even TSN.

Been following her on twitter. Nailed every single part of Smyth deal before TSN also.

40. Grass&sOIL says:

Well what a day, way more action on the Oilers front then I ever imagined. I think all these signing will have the biggest impact on on how healthy this team can stay in the next couple of seasons. We now have the deterrents that can also take a reg shift that should make opposing players think twice about taking liberties with our players.

I am curious to know how many of our injures from the past 2 season were a result of questionable hits/taking liberties as opposed to just getting injured in a hockey play. I would have to think it is pretty high and that the number should go down now.

Anyways I am off to the lake now so Have a great Canada Day everyone!!!!

“She claims that the Oilers came close to making a deal today:

Not a bad looking girl…

Lots of overpaying (by other teams) this year. I can only assume it’s because there really wasn’t a lot out there to work with.

I look forward to Hordichuk and Eager playing limited minutes, but patrolling, serving and protecting, nonetheless. Sutton should provide some toughness too. Barker.. well, I am curious as to what kind of player we’ll get out of him.

I think the Belanger contract is too long, but I am content in the fact that we shouldn’t be re-visiting this FO/PKer bullshit anytime soon. I still yearn for a 4th of Hartikainen Belanger Jones though, with Hordi/Eager in only as needed.

zackman35: Your source is found BO, hope you enjoyed “your” announcements =p As per ON aparently she stated this as well…“She claims that the Oilers came close to making a deal today:Oilers came close to trading Coglino and Gilbert to the Rangers for Dubinsky and a draft pick.”Not a bad looking girl…

Maybe that Dubinsky deal still gets done depending on Brad Richards. That would be a hell of an addition.

AHL moves:
    Ryan Potulny to the Capitals
    OKC Barons top point getter and goal scorer Colin McDonald to the Pens.

44. Treeoil says:

I’m really happy with all of the oilers signings, especially since we were expected to not sign anyone today!

Oil need to sign Peckham still, and maybe Cogliano.

We’re sitting at $55M with 21 signed. And after seeing @TreenasOil smack them out of the park all week, I’ll have to guess that we are in fact after Tomas Voukon too. Hmm.

Racki/POTF staff: You guys should recruit this girl (TreenasOil) to be associated with POTF. :razz:

Racki: LOL… the Twitterverse has been drooling all over that person all week, and really it’s probably just Bob Stauffer.

LOL Bob Stauffer…

Click the link and look at the difference in size between Colin Fraser and Andy Sutton

Carcillo to the Hawks on a 1 year deal.

Racki:

A good source is a good source. Aesthetics, bonus.