Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?

By , July 1, 2011 9:18 am
The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

So the time dubbed as “free agent frenzy” starts at 10:01AM MST today. TSN2 will have a show on about it. Will it be a dud? Will it be a big day? The list of UFA names this time around isn’t really one that excites me all that much, to be honest. For us, I would be surprised if we even made a single signing.

The Oilers did attempt to make a splash on day one last year though when they signed defenseman Kurtis Foster. However, that was the extent of their “free agent frenzy”, at least for the big club. And quite frankly, I don’t think that turned out so well. But, there is still a chance that Tambellini will make something happen today. My guess is that we see Zenon Konopka signed or possible Cam Barker. One or more other needs might be filled days later as players get a bit more desperate.

Anyways, feel free to discuss the names signed by the Oilers and other teams in the comments section.

166 Responses to “Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?”

Now if only Tambi would sign Eric Belanger. According to TSN they offered him a deal. No word what he said to it yet.

2. Ktown says:

I think it’s Foster and a pick for Sutton.

3. Grass&sOIL says:

I love all of the moves today!!!! if looked at individually they may not all look very good but looking at the whole picture I see definite improvement!!!

Yes, looking at the whole picture, the Oilers brought in some guys that are BIG and will not be afraid to pound the crap out of someone if need be.

Cam Barker is potentially the same as Foster, but I think he’ll wind up being an upgrade.

Hordichuk on TSN talking about how excited he is to protect the young kids here. He loves it… so do I.

5. Ktown says:

Hearing trade on hold pending medical clearance.

Just kidding.

Too soon?

F.U., Ktown! lol

7. dawgtoy says:

Ktown, that is funny!

Where are you guys hearing this Foster business? I haven’t seen/heard it anywhere.

9. Grass&sOIL says:

Certainly one of our more active FA Frenzy days in recent memory.

Sutton would be wicked but where is the source on this? I just read the Eager – Konopka – Hordi line combo, that is POTF right there. I would be happy with Belanger too good FO%’s just a smaller guy.

Hordi and Eager can alternate being in the line up and being suspended. lol

Whats this going to mean for our rooks/regulars? I had Jones figured for 4th line RW… now I wonder if he’ll move up a line and if a rook will be held back.

13. NorwegianOiler says:

I like the Barker signing. It’s a short term deal, so low risk. He’s still young and has showed two way ability before. If it does not work out, no biggie.

Hordichuk/Eager should be slight improvements over Stortini/Jacques, if nothing else. Nice to have some aggressive players, but I’d hoped for more capable hockey players. An angry fourth line is forming.

Haven’t seen anything on Sutton/Foster either.

TSN now reports it as done. Kurtis Foster to ANA for Andy Sutton. Deal done.

Ryan Rishaug just tweeted that the Oilers have traded Foster for Sutton. Wooohoooooooooooooo. Unless he’s buying into false rumors. Not very TSN-like.

16. Ktown says:

Confirmed now via TSN.

I like that trade….a lot

I like this off-season’s moves so far. Lots of toughness. Dumped some more dead weight for usable pieces, although risks are there.

Hall Horcoff Eberle
    Paajarvi ?? Omark
    Smyth Gagner Hemsky
    Eager/Hordi ???? Jones

Whitney, Barker, Sutton, Peckham, Smid, Gilbert…

Wonder if a forward will be moved. Cogliano still needs to slot somewhere in the above.

19. Ktown says:

I’m following @TreenasOil on Twitter. She claims to have a source with the Oil. During the draft and today, she’s proven to be pretty damn accurate. Staples follows her and wrote an article about her.

Don’t know her story but she broke Brule for Smyth before TSN. Then the holdup, and then the followup all before TSN.

Damn it, now TSN is saying the trade is not done… *cries*. Probably just because of the whole talk about a pick going one way or the other.

21. dawgtoy says:

Teddy Peckman and Andy Sutton….love it!

22. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

TSN is losing credibility by the day now.

Buffalo signed Leino to a 6 year $27M contract too. They are spending money at a rapid pace now.

23. Ktown says:

Specters hockey has it confirmed still as well. Don’t know what’s up.

24. NorwegianOiler says:

So far, we’ve added three players (given that the Sutton trade goes through) that are more about size than about good hockey. These are moves I’d expect from the Flames or Ducks. I much prefer players with more hockey sense and well rounded ability. We’ll see how this turns out, but I am not convinced we have improved that much from the signings/trades themselves. Barker, who has shown he can play, is more my type of player – although he’s got serious questions to answer.

Interesting as always :D

OIIIIIIIILERS!

I like Andy Sutton though, myself. I think he plays a very punishing brand of hockey…. he’s a type of D that I like. He is slow, injury-prone and such though. But I would take him over Foster annnnnyyyy day of the weak. Foster was a useless piece here. Didn’t really bring anything to the table at all.

I AM surprised that the Oil signed two goon-energy types though. One should have sufficed. But I like it more than not having any toughness at all.

Oilers talking to Belanger and Arnott. I’d love either one of them. Oil also closing in on dealing Cogliano for a draft pick.

Could you imagine if Buffalo landed Richards? And can someone give me some quick in-site on Sutton? Sounds to me like he’s a towering monster, is he a Jason Smith type? And I wonder if all these enforcer signings mean they are setting the stage for RNH? The bottom six is going to be quite a competition come camp.

BO is our inside source…

That would be wicked if we signed Arnott, I would love that. I still wouldn’t mind Belanger or Konopka either.

EDIT: Hordichuk: “Hopefully Vancouver’s going out and getting a tough guy, because I’m coming after them. Calgary, too. It’s payback time.” <3

28. Ktown says:

Staples just wrote a piece on why the Oilers are better without Foster.

If this trade isn’t confirmed/unconfirmed that’s gonna be an awkward moment.

Jim Vandermeer signs with the Sharks.

Holy shit….Sheldon Souray to the Stars

Dallas signed Sheldon Souray… 1 year at $1.65M

33. Ktown says:

Souray with the Stars.

34. Grass&sOIL says:

Seems that Tambellini likes to address on problem at a time. Last 2 years have been about adding youth. Now we are addressing toughness. So naturally Quality NHL proven talent is the next item to be crossed off. I don’t expect that this will happen for a while yet(my guess would be at the trade deadline). There will probably be some more minor changes leading up to next season but I think we will probably see the Oilers stand pat for now and evaluate how the new look team does before making those significant changes.

Souray signs for $1.65M in Dallas

Rumored now that the Oilers are trying to dump Cogs again.

Sign Belanger and trade Cogs. I think that is the perfect move for the team at this stage. Add another tough guy, but a guy that can play PK and be a leader.

37. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki:
    Rumored now that the Oilers are trying to dump Cogs again.

They better succeed, for their own sake. Cogliano must be entirely fed up with this. Brule’s falling into the same category fast.

38. Ktown says:

http://bit.ly/jmt71Z /via @dstaples

Staples article on @TreenasOil.

That’s how I found it.

Oilers still need their centerman…Arnott would be nice. I’d love that. But I don’t believe he is a talented faceoff man. Good in other regards though.

40. Grass&sOIL says:

I know that we put Souray on waivers but don’t recall actually seeing anything that said he had already been bought out. When did that happen?

Vandy signs with the Sharks.

Grass&amp;sOIL:

Vandy signs with the Sharks.

He was bought out yesterday. That was actually the whole point of the waivers (they have to be put on waivers in order to be bought out).

Helene Elliotte (writes for Kings/Ducks) says: “ducks haven’t confirmed Sutton/Foster trade but it is likely to happen later.” (pending confirmation from Lombardi that the Ducks aren’t being ripped off.. lol.. kidding).

So Oilers still after a center, looking to deal and are finalizing the Foster deal. My tune on today is starting to change. If the Oil can get a center, I’ll be ok with the Eager/Hordi signings.

Calgary making a big pitch for Brad Richards, according to Daren Dreger. eek.

Calgary is making an offer for Brad Richards….oh boy

I’m liking what the Avalanche are building in Colorado, really ballsy move with the draft picks though but they are starting to build a good foundation. A little weak on the wings, no big names but a solid core down the middle with Duchene, Stastny. O’Reilly. Landeskog, Johnson and Varlamov with the other young names. Its no late 90’s Avs but slowly getting there…

I can’t believe the Flames are throwing a huge offer at Richards.

48. NorwegianOiler says:

Are the Flames going to have a cap roof of their own? Pfff.

49. Grass&sOIL says:

NorwegianOiler:
    Are the Flamers going to have a cap roof of their own? Pfff.

When Fester gets canned in the next year or so the ownership in Calgary should ask the league to memo the new GM a Cap number that is $10M or so under what the Cap ceiling really is.

I think this is the Hossa/Heatley pitch before the inevitable rebuild…