Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?

By , July 1, 2011 9:18 am
The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

So the time dubbed as “free agent frenzy” starts at 10:01AM MST today. TSN2 will have a show on about it. Will it be a dud? Will it be a big day? The list of UFA names this time around isn’t really one that excites me all that much, to be honest. For us, I would be surprised if we even made a single signing.

The Oilers did attempt to make a splash on day one last year though when they signed defenseman Kurtis Foster. However, that was the extent of their “free agent frenzy”, at least for the big club. And quite frankly, I don’t think that turned out so well. But, there is still a chance that Tambellini will make something happen today. My guess is that we see Zenon Konopka signed or possible Cam Barker. One or more other needs might be filled days later as players get a bit more desperate.

Anyways, feel free to discuss the names signed by the Oilers and other teams in the comments section.

166 Responses to “Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?”

Looks like the Blue Jackets managed to sign James Wisniewski before he hit the market. Six years at $33M is the deal, according to TSN. That’s an average cap hit of $5.5M

2. Mr.Majestyk says:

I call it a fail. 5.5 cap hit on Wiz? Erhoff gets a 10 year deal? Whatever we do i hope we don’t overpay anyone.

Yah I agree, Wiz’s contract is for too much (and probably even too long). Ehrhoff’s is laughably long. Almost seems Garth Snow like (thus my comment elsewhere – “are we sure the Islanders traded his rights?”).

On the flip side, Sami Salo re-signed for 1-year at $2M. It’s a short contract, but I would say that is good value.

I would drool if we landed Carcillo and or Konopka. Apparently, Zenon has a very high dressing room appeal in that he has wicked awesome character. Another guy from Philly I would like to see in Oilers silks is Ville Lieno but I don’t think he’s one of the “glue guys” more a top six. If we can land Carcillo and Konopka then there would be no more questions for toughness. I think Carcillo has some skill too, I’ve seen se hilight goals from him, so potential third liner too?

5. Mr.Majestyk says:

The Salo thing is to my point of a first place team, a Stanley Cup team getting the bargain deals.

As Per BobMc, Stamkos isn’t close to a deal with TB. This could be interesting…

zackman35:

Carcillo I think has the wrong personality for this team. I’m not sure he’d be the right mix. He brings exactly what wer need though. But I think harsky and jones will be 4th line bookends anyways.

We got Ben Eager! 3 years. $3.3m total

9. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hopefully Eager and Renney see eye to eye, because they will be togther for 3 years. If Eager plays a regular shift, i like this signing. Eager didn’t make much.

I’d be really surprised if they signed Konopka at this point.

Garon and Roli will be reuniting in Tampa. Garon just signed 2 years $2.6m total.

With Eager getting signed, I think Konopka is no longer an option. Vern Fiddler or Marty Reasoner. Oilers are looking at defense too.

12. Spartacus says:

I like the Ben Eager signing. The Oilers needed an enforcer who’s not shy about going psycho.

George Laraques and Steve McIntyre were both way too polite going about their jobs. Eager doesn’t seem to care who he fights or goes after. Exactly what was needed, and he can play hockey a bit.

Nothing like some crazy-eyes to strike fear into the hearts of one’s opponents.

I’m frustrated with the Eager signing. ~1.1million a year to take penalties? The agitating gap that Storts left will be filled by Eager but I’m afraid we’ll be on the PK now a lot more.

2010/11 120PIM/30MINS MAJ
    2009/10 120PIM/40MINS MAJ
    2008/09 161PIM/65MINS MAJ

I guess when looking at the contrast between him and Wreckem’ its not too bad but we need that 3rd/4rth line center!

EDIT: Fiddler signs with the Stars.

We will see how Eager works out. I still think he’s a stupid penalty machine, but I think he’s more likely than anyone wer had last year to protect the kids. Still hoping for konopka with fiddler out

1.1m also provides a suspension buffer

Wow, per Jason Gregor:

Jagr to the Flyers.. comical

Oilers were in on the Fiddler mix (per Ryan Rishaug), but are now likely after Eric Belanger, apparently.

Racki: Wow, per Jason Gregor:Crazy trade by Avs. They trade a 1st rounder in 2012, and 2nd rounder in 2012 or 2013 for goalie Semyon Varlamov.

TSN contemplating if Vokoun has priced himself out of the market. Avs were the #1 destination for him.

20. Treeoil says:

Even if Eager is a bust it will be fun watching him destroy people.

21. Grass&sOIL says:

That is just insanely stupid. I know that he had an off year for them but the Avs would have been much better if they had just held onto Anderson. That’s one of the biggest over payments in a trade that I have seen in a while, even bigger of a over payment then the Kessel deal IMO.

Happy about Eager, he is my type of player & an upgrade on Stortini!!!

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

how much will Ian White want and is he on our radar?

That is way to much for Varly. Should have kept Anderson as mentioned. I like the Eager signing. He does his job and isn’t polite about it and will hunt players with hits. Good signing.

Chicago doing well.

Mr.Majestyk:
    how much will Ian White want and is he on our radar?

Not a fan, to be honest. Looking for some size back there.

Agreed that the Varlamov trade was crazy. Overpayment. No denying that they are looking better and better though… just at what cost?

White will want 4ish. Pass.

Now if we get a face off man and a guy like Hamrlik, I will be happy.

26. Grass&sOIL says:

chucker:
    That is way to much for Varly.Should have kept Anderson as mentioned. I like the Eager signing.He does his job and isn’t polite about it and will hunt players with hits.Good signing.

I wonder what Corey Schneider’s trade value is now???

Oilers could use an Eric Belanger…

Just tell Belanger that Edmonton is not Winnipeg?

Roman Hamrlik to Washingon. Tambi’s thumb still up his ass.

Reasoner to Isles for two years.

31. Grass&sOIL says:

Oilers agree to terms with free agent defenceman Cam Barker & forward Darcy Hordichuk. Details to follow…

Darcy Hordichuk and Cam Barker in Oil silks.

Holy, Oilers were busier than I thought. Still need a center though. I always really liked Hordichuk, but his problem is that he is very injury prone.

As for Cam Barker, I’ll assume we got him for cheap, which would be good.

Edit: barker for $2.25.. I think that’s too high, but I’m OK with it since it’s only for a year. I hope this means they’re dumping Kurtis Foster somehow, because they have redundant pieces in the “lost offensive ability and not great defensively” department.

34. Ktown says:

1 year 2.25 for Barker

2.25 one year on Barker.

36. Grass&sOIL says:

$4.2M(next years cap hit) for Eager, Barker and Hordz combined. I like what Tamby is doing!!!

Ok, I’m fine with Cam Barker for a 1 year deal. I really hate the Darcy Hordichuk signing. Does Tambi know we need a 4th line center that can win faceoffs?? I don’t think we needed another JFJ/Stortini combo. I’m not exactly pleased with any of the Oilers moves today.

Kurtis Foster traded. Stand by

This is not JFJ and Stortini. These guys do their job and can play too.

40. dawgtoy says:

Maybe Tambi could still sign Konopka, and then you’d have a fourth line of Eager, Konopka and Hordichuk. That would be our “old time hockey” line.

41. Ktown says:

Heard Foster for Andy Sutton and a pick. Unconfirmed so far but interesting

Are you an expert!?

Yup, looks like Sutton is coming back. Big mean stay at home defender that a lot of people (myself included) wanted last year. I’d do that deal if its there.

Bostonoiler:
    Kurtis Foster traded.Stand by

Oh god, please be true.

I need some detailllssss

I’ve heard the Oilers are interested in Eric Belanger. Something tells me that Cogliano is going to get traded, and Hartski is getting one more AHL season.

46. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki: Oh god, please be true.

I need some detailllssss

I will be very pleased with Tamby if this goes through!!!

I have wanted Sutton for years. Big and nasty.

Racki: Oh god, please be true. I need some detailllssssBtw, I’m happy with Eager and Hordichuk. Like Chucker said, they’re not JFJ and Stortini. However, both are stupid penalty machines…

Andy Sutton is coming back. There is a late pick involved too. Not sure if the Oilers are moving or getting that pick.

49. dawgtoy says:

Sutton is a monster, woohoo if true!

Sutton and a Pick for Foster? Hell yes… I love it.