Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?

By , July 1, 2011 9:18 am
The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

The biggest available name is Brad Richards.. where will he go today?

So the time dubbed as “free agent frenzy” starts at 10:01AM MST today. TSN2 will have a show on about it. Will it be a dud? Will it be a big day? The list of UFA names this time around isn’t really one that excites me all that much, to be honest. For us, I would be surprised if we even made a single signing.

The Oilers did attempt to make a splash on day one last year though when they signed defenseman Kurtis Foster. However, that was the extent of their “free agent frenzy”, at least for the big club. And quite frankly, I don’t think that turned out so well. But, there is still a chance that Tambellini will make something happen today. My guess is that we see Zenon Konopka signed or possible Cam Barker. One or more other needs might be filled days later as players get a bit more desperate.

Anyways, feel free to discuss the names signed by the Oilers and other teams in the comments section.

166 Responses to “Free Agent Frenzy or Fail?”

Eric Belanger showing some Ryan Smyth grit.

Strudwick all class. He knows he’s done as a player here but high praise for the additions.

3. hemmerlady says:

Did I read it right that Sour(ay)-puss signed with the Stars? Why? Do they need an injured, loafing guy with a bad attitude?

Edit: And Vandy has signed with the Sharks? (Thank you very much ladies and gentleman, HL called the departure – you heard it here first)

I think this is pretty close to “as good as possible” for the Oil today. Now if that Vokoun rumor pans out, we’re doing awesome.

All the contracts are reasonable and short enough.

Saw a comment re: Dubinsky…I’d do it cause I fucking love that player.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Hall-Gagner-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Belanger-Omark
    Jones-Cogliano-Eager
    Hordi

Whitney-Gilbert
    Barker-Smid
    Sutton-Peckham
    Chorney

Dubnyk
    Khabibulin

OK, that is how we look right now. Not bad, upgraded from last year, and thats clear on the 3rd/4th line. Defense I think is upgraded just by the return of Whitney and the departure of Foster (sorry Kurtis!)

Barker is such wild card, if he pans out, then I love the move. He would be a top 4 defender that is physical, has a shot and can play PP (I read that he is a physical player, can throw some nice hits). Again, thats if he pans out, then we steal a top 4 defender. If not, we let him walk after the season.

Sutton is a good pick up. Not gonna play too many minute, odds are is the 6th defender. He is a MONSTER size wise andlikes to hit. Sutton can also play some time on PK so its a pretty good add. If nothing else, he brings physical play and can play on the PK, which is a need here.

I think if I’m Tambi, i’m working to re-sign Peckham, O’Marra and Chorney as RFA’s and Alex Giroux as a UFA. Sign a goalie that an play in the AHL and be an NHL callup, unless this Vokoun thing is true, then grab him ASAP and let him and Dubs be the goalies.

On defense, I’d look to see what is out there, but I think if Barker works out we are looking pretty good.

Up front, I’d dump Cogliano, simply no more room for him. As for Brule, well no one is going to take him now, so we are stuck with him for a season. Just hope he gets healthy and plays like 09/10. I’d try and package up Omark and Cogliano for Brandon Dubinsky, man that would be nice.

Steve-O: Considering I figured the Oilers needed 2 bottom 6 forwards, 2 defense and a goalie I’d consider today a win.Smyth, Hordichuk, Eager, Belanger are an upgrade to the 3rd/4th line, and Barker and Sutton should be an upgrade to the 5/6/7 d spots (I’m not sold on Sutton cause I’m pretty sure he is awful…but I might be mis-remembering…still would have rather seen Vandermeer back instead).All the contracts are reasonable and short enough.Saw a comment re: Dubinsky…I’d do it cause I fucking love that player.And if Tambellini picks up another goalie, well he might not be completely stupid.

Just checked up on Sutton. For what its worth his +/- has been pretty good considering the teams he has played for the last couple of seasons.

I think the Oilers definitely improved today, no big splashes which is fine by me and some decent signings. Whatever the Vokoun rumours are, if we could get rid of Khabi and pick up Vokoun that would be pretty sweet.

And I know I am in the huge minority here in that I wasn’t into the Oiler fan trendy pile-on against him, but I’m glad Souray gets another chance with an NHL team. I wish him all the best.

Bostonoiler: I’m shocked another team gave Souray a chance. From everything I read a lot of teams thought he would never play again andn he had nothing left. Not a bad gamble by the Stars, but I can’t see him working out.

The only team I heard say that was the Rangers. Guess the Stars decided to judge for themselves.

LateNightOilFan:
    I think the Oilers definitely improved today, no big splashes which is fine by me and some decent signings.Whatever the Vokoun rumours are, if we could get rid of Khabi and pick up Vokoun that would be pretty sweet.

And I know I am in the huge minority here in that I wasn’t into the Oiler fan trendy pile-on against him, but I’m glad Souray gets another chance with an NHL team.I wish him all the best.

For the most part, I am in the same minority. We’re better off but I thought he was a character guy and I liked the way he spoke to media and took ownership while he was still on team. A bit crazy how quick fans turned. Would love to know the truth behind everything.

Khudobin should be our two way AHL/NHL guy.

I was not at all surprised Studdly got a deal. I think he would have been gone a long time ago if his contract was not so big. He’s a safe signing for Dallas. He’ll do fine.

chucker: I remember a game against the Thrashers about four years ago where Sutton KO’d Pisani and injured Reasoner in the same shift. Ever since, I’ve really wanted him. He has played on shit teams and always been decent on the stats sheet. Cam Barker could be a real steal. I remember wishing we had him when he was in Chicago. I hope he returns to that form. Let’s face it, Sutton and Barker can’t be anywhere near as bad as Struds, Foster or Vandemeer, although Vandy played for a contract after Christmas. Throw in Petry and Chorney and we have a way more flexible and physical D corps. Khudobin should be our two way AHL/NHL guy.

Khudobin was KHL-bound, Bruins ended up keeping him on a 2 year deal however. I heard it was Boston or Russia for him and the Bruins made him a multi-year offer. So cross him off the list.

A lot of hate going around on the Oilers signings, in particular Cam Barker and the trade for Andy Sutton. To be honest, I think those were two good moves by Tambi. Like so many have said, if Barker gets back to Chicago form its a total steal for the Oilers. As for Sutton, well he is a 6th defender that play PK, hits and hurts people, we need that.

Tomas Vokoun has had talks with the Oilers, like the rumors have said. That would be such a good move by Tambi if he could get Vokoun to sign in Edmonton. I just wonder if Khabi is OKC bound, or if Tambi actually found a trade for him.

B.O.: on the hate for Barker / Sutton… a lot of fans are making too many assumptions there. I think Barker is a risk, but I think he has potential to turn his career back on track to how he should have been on a team like the Oilers. If he’s partnered with a guy like Whitney (not sure if he can play the right side), he might gain the confidence to be a better d-man. We’ll have to see.

As for Sutton… all signs say that this guy SHOULD be a slug, but I don’t think he really is. He’s got decent speed for a guy his size. That said, I don’t expect much more than a 5/6 pairing from him. But like Chucker said… he can’t be any worse than any of Strudwick, Vandy or Foster.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

Looks like Brad Richards chooses the New York Rangers to be his destination of choice as per Darren Dreger’s twitter. Was there ever any doubt? Question is, how does this affect us?