Bluff Master T and the MVP

By , July 3, 2011 1:12 pm
Is Tambellini the Bluff Master?

Is Tambellini the Bluff Master?

I know it sounds silly, but I think the Oilers have been trying to sell Khabibulin as our “MVP” not to us fans, but to GMs around the league. That contract is heinously bad, but it seems like the Oil have been making efforts to try and bring another goaltender here, and may have been trying to move Khabibulin too. I know we all figure Tambellini to be pretty bad. I have given my share of criticism too. But I think he’s a little smarter than we think and this MVP business is just a ploy to trick other GMs into wanting him.

The 2009/10 speech would go… “Wow, we finished 30th this season because our “MVP” was hurt for so long…”.

The 2010/11 speech… “We finished 30th this season but thankfully we had Khabibulin there to keep us in it.. I can’t imagine if he wasn’t there!”.

Those are far from direct quotes.. not even close. But that is basically what it seemed that Tambellini was trying to convey, and it can only be for the reason of convincing other GMs to take Khabi on. Maybe I’m giving the guy too much credit… but I think he can see now that Khabibulin needs to go in order for the winning to start here.

Renney’s comments at the end of this year are different than the quote above, but he still supported Khabi saying “he’s bounced back from bad years before”, almost to sell Khabibulin to others. Renney stated emphatically at that point that Khabibulin would start the season as our starting goaltender. I am very doubtful that this was anything more than just a smoke screen tactic.

Let’s be clear though… Tambellini screwed up royally with the Khabibulin contract. There is no erasing that one from his record. It’ll always linger around and be brought up when people talk about how Tambellini performed as a GM here. I’m just saying that perhaps now he realizes the err of his ways and is trying to fix it.

The Latest on the Rumor Mill

Braden Holtby

Braden Holtby

Anyways, everyone’s new favorite rumor whore is saying that the Caps contacted the Oilers about trading a goaltender to us. Who’s left? Neuvirth? I’m guessing they’d try to move Braden Holtby to us.

Holtby’s scouting report reads quite well:

Assets
Has the size every National Hockey League club covets from the goaltending position. Handles the puck very well. Is very athletic in the crease area.
Flaws
Needs more work on his lateral mobility and general quickness in the crease area. Also must learn better rebound control in order to maximize potential.
Career Potential
Athletic goaltender with upside.

NHL Central Scouting’s Al Jensen
“He has unbelievable athleticism and quickness. He was able to keep his team in games and keep them competitive throughout the year. His recovery was exceptional as well as his ability to get his body in front of shots. He battled very hard and was strong. He is a flashy player – he has a very good glove hand and very quick hands and his play improved throughout the year.”

16 Responses to “Bluff Master T and the MVP”

1. Haboiler says:

Here is a quote after Holtby shutout the Oilers last year.

In the Washington Capitals lockerroom after his first NHL shutout (5-0), vs. the Edmonton Oilers, goaltender Braden Holtby faces media questions.

Caps Senior Writer Mike Vogel:  “Did it mean any more to get that first shutout against Edmonton, a team that’s close to back home for you?”

Holtby: “Yeah, it means a lot obviously.  I never really liked the Oilers growing up, so… it’s kind of a hate that I’ve had forever (laughs) … but at the same time, it’s good that happened against anyone.  You know, every win counts!  I was a Patrick Roy fan so I loved the Avalanche, and they were always rivals so….”

Kind of funny if he ends up here.

It would interesting combo with him and DD but I would hope for a good vet in OKC.

Hah, good quote. Well, the goaltender being rumored could still be Holtby, but Neuvirth isn’t out of the question either. Maybe the Caps are trying to sell high. They got a lot for Varlamov… goaltenders shouldn’t be worth that much right now.

On a side note, I’m realllllllly going out on a limb and playing devil’s advocate with this post.

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Sorry, I’m not buying it. If the reason for Tambellini’s MVP statements are based on the idea that this will somehow goad other GMs into believing Khabibulin is a good netminder then Tambellini ought to be committed. It would be like trying to bluff whilst playing an open hand. Khabibulin’s performance, both statistically and on video, is accessible to all GMs, scouts and whoever cares. I believe that would be enough to discourage most – unless they have a particular taste for reclamation projects.

Then again, that begs the question, does Tambellini really believe in the MVP comments…

Good beginning for a horror story right there.

From everything that we have heard about the Oilers going after goalies, I really think that Khabi is done here. Waivers, or trade, I think it very well could happen. Dubnyk has passed him either way on the depth chart.

N.O.- I hope he doesn’t actually still believe Khabibulin is our MVP, but he still says it.. sooooo…. he’s either a horrible bluffer or a horrible judge of talent then, I suppose. I have to wonder why Renney would say too though that he’s our starter for this year. I don’t get it. One moment Tambo looks to be a smart guy, then the next he looks pretty foolish. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the fact that it’s not just a one man operation (I’m referring to the help from scouts and other front office staff and such, not to the Katz / Puppet strings theories).

6. NorwegianOiler says:

I consider the chance that Tambellini is trying to keep Khabibulin’s confidence up to be the biggest – at least compared to 1) Bluffing other GMs or 2) Actually ‘assessing :D’ Khabibulin to be our MVP.

Actually, saying that Khabibulin is our MVP is insulting to a few players whose names deserve to be mentioned in that respect.

Yah really, I think if you asked the fans, it would have been Hemsky for the last 2 years. Or it could be a combination of a couple of things. I still think there’s some attempt at trickery, as while GMs should be watching video tape and checking stats, bad players do still get moved. Any other reason, and Tambellini is a completely batty GM, I’d say. :lol:

So apparently the Oilers and Ducks are “talking again”, according to the Sourceress (@TreenasOil). I’d sure like to know where their info comes from. I’m betting it’s some repairman that planted a bug in Tambellini’s office.. lol

Not sure where he’ll play (for the Oilers or for the Barons), but the Oil have signed Josh Green to a 1-year, 2-way deal. Some of you may remember him from about 8 or 9 years ago. He’s got not bad AHL numbers… and he can play solid defense at the NHL level. If he’s here for the Oilers, that choice baffles me, so I’m going to have to assume he’s been picked up for the Barons.

Its AHL Racki, I have to think that now with Alex Giroux signing with the Blue Jackets today. Oilers have to help out OKC, and I think Green is here for that reason.

Should be interesting to see what the Oilers do. I heard from our new twitter friend that the oilers are trying to move Cogliano to New York. I heard about the Oil/Ducks thing you mentioned. Who would the Oilers target be??

The Oilers aren’t done yet, and I’m interested to see what Tambi does. If he can move out Khabibulin and bring in a resonable goalie to replace him, that is the best thing for this team. I’d stilll ike to give Zenon Konopka a contract, but i don’t think we will see that. Should be interesting to see what the oilers do from this point on.

“But I think he’s a little smarter than we think and this MVP business is just a ploy to trick other GMs into wanting him.”

So you think other GM’s will be blinded by the cup ring of ’04 too? :) We can only hope. How do we get a message to Khabi to start polishing that ring up?

OT but speaking of rings – I was at Cole Harbour Place tonight and they have a Crosby display case there and they’ve added some of his Olympic Gold mementos – they’ve got a framed closeup photo of Sid’s Team Canada Olympic Gold ring – wow. I know it’s been about a year since they presented them to the players but I don’t think I’ve seen pic’s of them until now.

They should sell Khabbi as the Ferrari of goaltenders.

Yeah, I would think we have to have homosexual images of a GM to pull off that kind of trade. Still not sure that’s enough.

13. I thought it was kinda obvious that he was selling Khabibulin, he went so hard! Ease up just a little. That being said you do what you can/have to if you want to try to improve the situation. Regarding some things Tambellini seems genuine and regarding other things he exaggerates, is overly guarded or employs mis-direction. He’s a bit of a poker player.

Yeah, don’t buy it either.

I’m just hoping he realized it was a stupid signing and has just been trying to save face since

15. hemmerlady says:

@Racki: Sourceress – LOL

What I think Tambi did was try to bolster Khabi’s confidence. If you are sucking, you already know you suck, and it doesn’t help for people to tell you that you suck. It makes it worse. If the powers that be tell you that they believe in you and your ability, it’s easier to believe in yourself. Encouragement has always helped me play better, and criticism has had demonstrably disastrous effects. (I found that sports psychology was often used as a model for overcoming performance anxiety.) Unfortunately for us Tambi’s strategy didn’t translate into better play by Khabi, most nights. I think that’s the reason for Renney’s “we could still make the playoffs!” statement. If the players already think they’re out of the running, the subconscious thought could be “why even try”.

16. John says:

hemmerlady: @Racki: Sourceress – LOLI don’t really think Tambi is “bluffing” – as NO says, the other GMs have eyes and would see right through that.I also don’t think Tambi actually believes Khabi is MVP material, unless he did initially. I think he’d be pretty dumb to think that but it WAS a really dumb contract.This is my take on things as a musician (with confidence problems, that are improving lately BTW!):What I think Tambi did was try to bolster Khabi’s confidence. If you are sucking, you already know you suck, and it doesn’t help for people to tell you that you suck. It makes it worse. If the powers that be tell you that they believe in you and your ability, it’s easier to believe in yourself. Encouragement has always help

I think you hit the nail on the head with this thought process, it’s really the only thing (outside of insanity) that makes sense!