2011 Putting On The Foil Hockey Pool Discussion

By , July 28, 2011 11:54 am
The 3rd annual POTF Hockey Pool will have a new flavor...

The 3rd annual POTF Hockey Pool will have a new flavor...

So a new season is about to begin, and it’s time for the discussion about a hockey pool.

So far, Norweigan Oiler has brought up the topic of a “keeper” league. If you are unfamiliar with what a keeper league is, do a google search on that, but it involves keeping part of your roster from year to year.

We also have been discussing a trophy. In this case, we are going to have a virtual trophy, for sure. It will be a pic on the site somewhere (probably in the sidebar) that we’ll up date year to year to show the winners. It will be Stanley Cup style in the sense that it will maintain a list of all winners (although it will look completely different). We’re also considering a cheap-o prize. Maybe some POTF wear of some sort. But nothing has been decided there just yet. If you have ideas, let me know.

So, who is interested in a keeper pool? How about a standard pool if you don’t like keeper pools? Please vote once so we know what kind of interest there is…

Would you be interested in a POTF Hockey Pool this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

121 Responses to “2011 Putting On The Foil Hockey Pool Discussion”

Yeah, Crott is in Germany.

2. NorwegianOiler says:

Ladies and gentlemen, and hockey fans, the inaugural POTF fantasy keeper league draft is ready. Do check in! ;)

Twi9tter rumor that Oilers are ater Suter. ake it for what it is.

Some on the OMB think that Suter is a 2nd pairing defender at best and not worth Gagner lol. Suter would be our best defender. Thoughts?

4. NorwegianOiler says:

Suter for Gagner is a good deal, ALTHOUGH Suter has no connection to Edmonton and is a UFA in 2012. Then again, this ‘resourceful’ twitter ‘girl’ had Smid in that deal, which makes it too rich for my blood. Two players with ties to Edmonton for a, mind you great defenseman, that may or may not stay?

He would indeed be our best defenseman.

Not only did they have Smid in the deal, but Gagner too.

I think this rumormonger has turned into an Eklund Twatwaffle type. Was great on two trades though.

And I have no doubts that Suter is good.. I just wonder how much of it is him being that good and how much of it is from playing with a guy like Weber. Sure doesn’t hurt your ability to play D when you have him paired with you.

I wouldn’t do this deal though. Asking price is too high for a guy who is UFA next year. If Suter played the right side, I might be more inclined to give up Gagner for him though. I’m really not at all anxious to trade Gagner though. Although there is a good chance he never really hits his potential.

So to sum.. no thanks on the deal. Right idea though, but still not good enough of a trade.

I’m actually shocked people wouldn’t make this move. Ryan Suter would become our best defender. I’ve talked to a lot of Preds fans who think that Suter is better than Weber in hs own end.

Suter would be a huge upgrade over Smid, and moing Gagner would allow Nugent-Hopkins to make the team. I’d give Gagner up for a top pairing defener in a heartbeat. Gagner has a lot of potential, but he might never reach it, while Suter has already proven he can be a top pairing defender.

I understand the fact that Gagner has potential, but again I’m stunned people wouldn’t move him for a top pairing defender.

Racki: I think I just haven’t seen enough of Suter to know if we’re getting all goo-goo like we do over other team’s players or if he legitimately THAT good. As far as moving Gagner so RNH can have a spot, I don’t think it’s ever wise to move a player just for the sake of making room. I am not sure if we’re that much better with Suter over Gagner + Smid. That said, there are d-men out there that I would trade Gagner+Smid for. I would prefer though that the kick ass d-man we acquire played the right side though, but it isn’t a necessity, mind you.So, to be clear.. I would trade Gagner+Smid for a great all around d-man.. I just am not sure if Suter is it or not.

Fair enough. Thanks to NHL Center Ice I have watched the Predators many times, usually just a period or two, but still. I see Suter as a clear top pairing defender, a guy that can be a difference maker, but he is overshadowed by Shea Weber.

I would pull the trigger, but something tells me this will never happen lol. I like the team as is, and would love to keep Gagner, but I’d gladly hand him over for a top pairing defender. I think we can compete now, and wouldn’t move people for the sake of moving them ,rather only move them to better the roster.

When I mean compete, I mean for 8th lmao to clear that up.

10. dawgtoy says:

I would love the Oil to pull the trigger on a solid first pairing defender to play along Whitney, but Gagner+Smid is rich…too rich. That’s our best current center and a solid second pairing D. Both dependable young hockey players no where near their prime, on the verge of breakout seasons. The return would need to be substantial IMO to pull the trigger on a deal like this. We need Gagner on this team this year, not the right time to pull the trigger with him as the bait. As painful as it might be, this isn’t the time make this type of trade. Once RNH or Lander or someone proves they are ready, then you make the deal. Making the deal from a position of strength. You pull the plug too early and you leave Hall and Ebs without a top center. Low tide (damn auto correct) has an excellent article on Gagner today. So that’s my 2 cents.

11. john says:

Racki: The other caveat to this trade again (as N.O. mentioned) is that Suter is a UFA after this coming season. So that alone makes this deal bad to me. Unless the Preds extended him beforehand… although that isn’t a very classy thing to do (extend a contract, then trade the guy)

I think Suter is pretty good defenceman as well but agree that the question is how much is due to the fact that the Preds defensive stucture is very sound & far better than Edmontons to begin with. Also how much does Weber really influence Suters play? I remember how awesome Spacek seemed when he was playing with Pronger but since then Jaro’s looked adequate at best. Preds signing Suter to a deal then dealing him, although unlikely, wouldn’t be without precedent. That very thing happened to Visnovsky as I recall lol.

I really like Smids game & would pretty miffed to lose him, I think he is one of the guys who has put a shit load of work into becoming a bonafide NHL player ever since coming to us in “the trade” & has certainly earned his wings as an Oiler in my books! The fact that all my Flamer buddies hate smid & think he’s an asshole tells me we are on the right track having him haha.
    Gags is a tough one; hockey smart, has also worked hard at trying to become the top 6 center everyone expects him to be, & grittier than he gets credit for BUT… he gets knocked off the puck & out of the play constantly :( I would hate to give up on him but if we could be assured Suter would be under contract with the Oilers for at least the next 3-5 years then I might be willing to part with him. The trade would need a replacement for Smid though to get my approval. What about a decent prospect like Tuebert; we have no guarantees he will ever become a top pairing defenceman for the Oil & maybe Nashville would see enough potential value in him to give up Suter?

For those that missed it.. this pool is on like donkey kong. The draft is underway. We don’t have a set draft day (yet)… right now, there is a list of teams in their draft order, and you are expected to make your pick as soon as you possibly can in this thread here when it is your turn:

It admittedly is sloppy right now.. but we’re hoping to throw in a couple of draft hours here and there where we get together in a chat thing and hammer out a couple of rounds of picks.

Be sure to figure out where you are drafting and check back in that thread frequently so you don’t hold up other people’s picks.. this draft is going to be slow as is, unfortunately :(

13. oilinblood says:

i dont understand the speculation, considering a congested left side and whitney already our top lhd. suter is the type of defenceman i would like to aquire but not for the left at this time. his contractual situation is another stumbling block and i would imagine the oil would have no interest without talking to his agent about an extension. as far as mid season extensions go… this is the last year of the present cba so i dont fully know the oilers game plan for weighing contracts at this time. maybe whit doesnt play any pk if you do this and give him 5 on 5 and lots of pp with care to the matchups. not sure who would work well with suter. rafalski was great with stevens so i dont know if gilbert would thrive on pairing with a physical force.
    As is, i think we are in some good shape for the coming year. we got meaner, deeper and smyth i feel gives us the extra leadership block to make us competitive every night.
    i can see gagner AND Smid being moved but not at this time. RNH needs to win a spot not have one handed to him. For Smid he will be pushed this year to protect his place in the pecking order. Its a make or break year for smid. There are kids in the system knocking on the door, even after all the lhd returnees. He needs to stand out and thrive or someone with a higher ceiling will be in his spot.
    Things look better this year than they did last year. The draft has really turned this team around well.

14. NorwegianOiler says:

Aaaand Schremp goes to Sweden. That will make some prophets veeery happy =)

Lowetide posted this older article he found on Hockey Jesus and Zack Stortini and their work with a power skating coach by the name of Liane Davis. Pretty great read!

No surprises though really… I think what Davis says of the two players mirrors what I feel about their personality/work ethic…

Schremp… cocky in the beginning, then humbled pretty quick.

Stortini… endless work ethic.. very methodical, and nice as it gets.

Edit: Oh yah, here is the article:

This could take a while….

hah, it’s definitely not a fast moving pool. But all things considered today picked up fairly well. Considering we have 3 people in an 8-ish hour difference, we’re doing alright. We’ll have some catch up draft-hours at some point too where we all try and get on and just hammer picks out. Or as someone (Saevel) suggested, perhaps assign people time slots for their picks.

Time slots sounds good to me. Or, could we get everyone to meet online at the same time? Likely hard to do with all the time zones.

Check out the forum… all this discussion is already on going here:

My other idea was that people provide cell #’s for us to text that it’s their pick. Not sure who all would go for it though.

Boston Oiler.. your pick in the pool.

P.S. I think this is our longest span without a post.. pretty dry for hockey topics! And focusing a lot on the pool / forum.

21. NorwegianOiler says:

Worst time of year really, between the early days of free agency and training camp. Nothing of consequence happening.

Here’s a thought, why do hockey commentators, players and staff insist of using the phrase “offensive attack”? Can an attack be anything other than offensive?

Irk irk.