Winnipeg sells 13,000 seasons seats (for 3-5 years) and maxes waiting list

By , June 4, 2011 3:10 pm
Break out the white towels (in a good way)

Break out the white towels (in a good way)

Congratulations to the Winnipeg Whatchamajiggers!!! WinnipegtoniansWinnipegitesWinnipegg-ee-ons… citizens of Winnipeg came up big, reaching the target of 13,000 seasons tickets sold… and these all come with commitments between three and five years. They also maxed out their waiting list (8,000).

I have defended Gary Bettman in the past, but I have to give him the middle finger for his comments earlier about it “not working there unless they sell tickets” when the same should be said about other floundering teams. It’s obvious that this was overdue. Good on the city of Winnipeg for coming up huge and selling out all their target seasons tickets. For now, I love you, but I look forward to hating your team!

More here.

13 Responses to “Winnipeg sells 13,000 seasons seats (for 3-5 years) and maxes waiting list”

What did that take? 3 days? Yah, I think hockey is still a big deal there. Much deserved, obviously.

2. MetalOil says:

Well they really are not giving the BOG any choice now. Richest owner in the NHL and now a HUGE commitment from the ppl of that hockey mad city!!! I am glad that they play in the SE for a year because it lets me cheer for the Peg team for one year before my hand is forced and I have start hating them. I can’t wait to watch their home opener. Looking forward to that, maybe a lil bit more then the Oilers season opener!!!

Dave Naylor brings up a good point on Twitter:

If selling 13K in NHL season tickets in 4 days proves WPG is an NHL-ready market, what does that say about Hamilton that did same in ’07?

Who’s next? :P

Wow, Dudley’s (GM of Thrashers) contract was bought out by True North. They’re cleaning house in the offices which by the comments I’ve read is a great thing!

I wonder if Ramsay stays on there. Another location for MacTavish, perhaps? :P

I will be nice because the dude has cancer and is a great guy. I think he would actually be a better fit for Dallas or Minnie and perhaps Ottawa.

Yah for sure the former-Thrashers doesn’t really fit his style as much as Minny would. He seems destined for that team.

Craig………..Hartsburg, is about to join an NHL organization. He has stepped down as the Silvertips coach. As per TSN.

Not surprised Wadell and Duds are gone, new city, new slate.

10. Grass&sOIL says:

Guess who’s website is up and running? http://winnipeg.nhl.com/

The sale is actually official now. There was speculation we’d have a team name and jersey today, but guess that didn’t happen. I hope they have something for the draft!

Rubber stamp on the Thrasers. I guess we have to wait unitl Friday for the team and jersey reveal at the draft. Good idea actually. That’ll get even more people from Manitoba watching to see the jersey etc.

MacT shutout of Winnipeg, Ottawa, Florida and Minnie. I’d say he has to look to be an assistant to get in at all now. Either that or go to Europe like Dave King and some other noteables have done.