What the hell is going on…

By , June 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Some big time news coming out right now on TSN:

As per TSN:

The overhaul of the Philadelphia Flyers continued on Thursday, as the club shipped captain Mike Richards to the Los Angeles Kings.

Coming back to the Philadelphia are forwards Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.

And, also per TSN:

Jeff Carter has been traded from the Philadelphia Flyers to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

In exchange for Carter, the Flyers are expected to receive Jakub Voracek, plus first and third round draft picks.

And finally, TSN is reporting that Regehr was asked to waive his no trade clause to go to Buffalo.

39 Responses to “What the hell is going on…”

1. Grass&sOIL says:

Lots of talk out there that Robyn Regehr has been asked to waive his no-move clause and accept a trade to the Buffalo. Maybe it is worth holding onto Hemsky now :) I Love it, the tables are turning now and it will be Calgary’s turn to worry about Theo Peckham laying out Calgary’s top end players.

2. Grass&sOIL says:

As per Darren Dreger via Bob Mackenzie: Jeff Carter has been traded to the Bluejackets. No details yet but I will assume the 8th overall was involved.

Edit. Looking like its Voracek, 1st round pick and 3rd round pick for Carter. Good return for the Flyers but both teams should be happy.

I have a hard time believing that these GM’s did enough evaluating to make these kinds of moves

While I would like to see him gone for Hemsky’s sake (or a player that’s willing to beat him up anytime he breathes on Hemsky), I wouldn’t mind seeing him stay with Calgary as he’s lost a step and is expensive.

I like Calgary with salary problems.

Unbelievable. I know it takes two but carter is just what we need. I think a better offer could have been made by us. Oh well

6. Grass&sOIL says:

And now they are saying there is a possible Mike Richards to LA for a package including Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds? Hearing from good sources that it could happen.

I really question if this one will go down but “Three league executives confirm Mike Richards is in play by Philadelphia.”(Lebrun)

Smitty could very well come into play now!

Edit The Deal is done!!
    This is getting nutty!!!

Yeah, TSN’s Gord Miller rumored the same thing…Philly would be insane to trade both away.

And I’d personally want Richards more than Carter here, even though Carter gets more points.

But still, can’t imagine why they would trade both.

8. Grass&sOIL says:

@sportsnetspec: Richards to LA will expedite Smyth to EDM. Kings can’t take back significant salary from Oil. Told deal WILL happen.

Can’t help but feel like the last kid picked in gym class missing out on exactly what we need and could mortgage a to pick on. Proven talent with size.

10. Trogdor says:

Damn, if I’m not wearing Oilers or Team Canada red, the Flyers jersey comes out of the closet. Not sure what to make of this. Need a season to see how it plays out, but the Flyers will definitely be sporting a new look next season. Carter/Richards = Heart/Soul. Could be a lot of backlash from fans, but if the change in talent along with Bryz between the pipes pays off, fans will be happy.

11. Ktown says:

Grass&sOIL:

As if I wasn’t having a hard enough time concentrating at work (leading up to Draft Day)…

Smytty, COME HOME!!!

Trying to figure if there are any losers in these deals.

CBJ get a guy to play with Nash – lose #8 pick. Good deal.
    LAK get a top line guy now – lose Brayden Schenn for the future. Good “now” deal.
    PHI – gets cap space for B. Richards and Ilya, gets great future prospect in Schenn – lose heart and soul of team. (wash)

12. Alan-NottsUK says:

wow what the hell is going on in philly

13. Grass&sOIL says:

@Jason Gregor-For those asking if Richards trade means Smyth is coming.You are on the right path. Just got text saying they are talking and are close.

14. Alan-NottsUK says:

awesome news about Smyth.

i was gonna say LA have only 10mil left in space and need to resign Doughty and 7 other players

also flyers are at the 50 contract limit

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Philly just signed Bryzgalov…9 years for 51 mil. 5.67 cap hit.

Smyth coming home is good for the team, as long as Tambellini is wise enough to recognize a team that is in a more desperate situation than us. Smyth for a 4th….

Really though, LA gets Richards… CBJ gets Carter… I like Smyth, but man, I hope Tambellini at least put in some good effort trying to get Carter or Richards.

17. Alan-NottsUK says:

why would they deal 2 homegrown players unless they had off ice issues? not sure with kids developing you’d want them around

18. DropIt says:

Steve-O:

I like Calgary with salary problems.

While he may have lost a step, he altered his game this year and improved his footwork, which put him back atop of Calgary’s defensive depth. He had a rough 09-10 season but had a great one this year.

The expensive tag also is pretty incorrect. At 4 million dollars, he is a bargain in the league when you compare other players of tthe same ilk. Ballard, Hamhuis, Hannan. All whutdown type defenders who make the same type of money and I wouldn’t take any of them over Regehr.

I would have to think a deal for Smytty is now imminent due to the need for cap room in L.A.

Now what does it take to get that 8th form Philly? Cogs and a D prospect? Not sure if that would even get consideration. Hemsky straight up?

Seeger now talking Smytty to the Flames with Regher moving to Buffalo, but Regher has not YET been asked to waive his NTC.
    if Smyth goes to the Flames, I hate his guts just like Glenncross

Dreger …..stupid iPad.

If Ryan Smyth goes to Calgary, I’m getting on a plane to Minny, finding and killing Steve Tambellini

Even IF Regher accepts a trade, how the hell does Calgary have the room for Smyth?

23. Ktown says:

chucker:

Dreger now talking Smytty to the Flamers with Regher moving to Buffalo, but Regher has not YET been asked to waive his NTC.
    if Smyth goes to the Flamers, I hate his guts just like Glenncross

ESPNs Pierre LeBrun (I know – ESP who?) mentioned that LA and CGY were talking but nothing imminent. He also gave his gut feel that Smytty to EDM gets done.

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
    “If I’m a betting man, I believe the Oilers have a better chance at getting Smyth than the Flames. Just my gut feeling.”

I’d be dumbfounded if Smytty waived his NTC to go to CGY.

chucker:

They don’t. I think this was based on Lombardi kicking tires, or possibly – if the whole “Lombardi leaked to put fan pressure on Tambellini” conspiracy is true – then this could be a very desperate negotiating ploy.

Calgary has $58M in 19 players (I believe). Even moving RR’s $4M cap, won’t leave them room for Smyth’s $6.25 and the other guys they need to sign, and there’s no leadership need that he fills on that front.

The only way Smyth to CGY makes any possible sense is if talks with Tanguay have completely fallen through. And even then, for the Flamers when it comes to Smyth, I do believe there are better options for them.

Yeah, that would instantly vilify him in many fan’s eyes, including mine.

25. Grass&sOIL says:

chucker:

Could the Kings be using the Flames as leverage? We did just fleece them in the Penner trade( not ness how i look at it but this is what DL thinks right now). Not only does ST have to appease the Oiler faithful, he has to keep Smitty out of enemy territory. Kings are now trying to force the Oilers hand. Smyth won’t waive his NMC to play in Calgary.

Yeah there is no way they have room for Smyth’s cap hit. I call bullshit on Feaster and Lombardi. This is also BS since one would presume that salary is coming back from Buffalo.

27. Trogdor says:

Lamest news I read today, Jets draft pick will wear an NHL league jersey with NHL’s black and grey colors… Just give him a retro throwback. Make the fans happy.

I heard a pick and one of Brad Boyes and Luke Adam going to Calgray if the deal gets done with Robin Regher.

I’ve been reading on twitter that smyth to the Oilers should get done real soon. I also read the Ryan Nugent Hopkins wants to be an Oiler.

Rumor going around that the Oilers are trying to add more than just Smyth via trade. They are looking for a 4th line center and some defense help.

29. Grass&sOIL says:

chucker:
    Yeah there is no way they have room for Smyth’s cap hit.I call bullshit on Feaster and Lombardi.This is alsoBS since one would presume that salary is coming back from Buffalo.

According to CapGeek the Flames have the least amount of cap room in the NHL now. No way he goes there even if the Flames do unload Regehr to the Sabers with out taking on much salary.

Spector reports the Smyth to Edmonton deal is just about done, AMEN TAMBI.

Oh and the Oilers are also interested in tough winger Troy Brower from Chicago, that is going around twitter.

31. Trogdor says:

Don’t credit ST too much. Smyth got the ball rolling and we’ll see what we give up in return.

32. DropIt says:

Yeah, we really don’t have any cap room, and adding another giant contract like that makes very little sense unless Feaster can dumpo Stajan on Lombardi. I’m not sure if the increasing cap means we could possibly squeeze smyth under, but regardless Smyth would be a bad idea in Calgary given his hit. I do like the guy and know he and Iggy are good friends, though. Iggy was trying to sway him to sign with us back when he was a UFA

33. Ktown says:

DropIt:

LOL – glad I read through and did that whole “comprehension” thing first. I read the first line and thought, “who’s this guy? we’ve got plenty of cap room for Smytty!” Yes – we do, you don’t… phew…

And Smytty coming to Edmonton is Tambellini’s way to lure Iginla here (LOL – I jest)… But, we still owe you for Fuhr…

34. DropIt says:

Obviously I am missing something though. Sounds like the Regehr trade may be bigger then just Buffalo and may have a large hand in acquiring Smyth. Rumours of Stajan being involved to clear out the cap room.

I would not blame Smytty for going there if he does, but man, what a kick in the junk that would be. At least he’s not in his prime anymore. But I am already fearing the Oil fan hate-on he will receive if he goes there.

36. Alan-NottsUK says:

It’s highly unlikely, though, that Lombardi’s work is done. In the conference call to discuss the Richards trade, Lombardi also disclosed that veteran winger Ryan Smyth has requested a trade and that the Kings are close to completing a deal.

Smyth is a native of Banff, Alberta, and sources have indicated that the NHL’s two Alberta-based teams, Edmonton and Calgary, have talked about a trade for Smyth.

“I talked to [Smyth] a couple times, and he was very clear that it had nothing to do with hockey, that it was strictly for his family, that he wanted to go home,” Lombardi said. “I’ve talked to one team a number of times, and they’ve been very forthright in trying to piece it together. I hope to have that wrapped up here in a day or two.”

37. Ktown says:

If Smytty goes to Calgary, I think it would be one of the biggest snafus of Tambellini’s tenure.

I understand that hockey is a business, and obviously there’s money and roster spots tied up in this, but business is also about sales and marketing. Think about how big a deal it is when guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos come to town. Filling seats, keeping people interested, selling merchandise.

The Oilers have a great business (aka marketing & PR) move to make that will have fans buying new Smyth Vintage jerseys. They’ll have a key example to point at when people bring up the “nobody wants to go to Edmonton” line. They’ll have a great mea culpa moment when KLowe once again falls on the sword and claims it was a mistake to let him go, but he’s back now and all is well. And, they’ll have (arguably) the most beloved Oiler since Gretzky back in Edmonton carrying the flag of the Blue and Orange.

Now, think how bad it could be if he goes to Calgary. Now you’ve got the negative sentiment from a hardcore group of fans. You’ve got the stories out there about a respected veteran wanting to come back, but the Oilers couldn’t see past their own agenda to get it done (fuels the ‘management is a problem’ storyline). And, you’ve got the inevitable circus when Tambellini tries to lure ‘veteran leadership’ to the team in the very near future.

All I can say is that if this doesn’t get done, it will be the first time I’ll seriously question Tambellini’s “Plan” for this team…

38. DropIt says:

Ok, Oiler fans. Dont get too excited.

Sounds like Regehr has re considered waiving his NMC to go to the Sabres, one he refused earlier, which may still lead to Ryan Smyth becoming a Flame after all, which leaves us back where we started.

I wonder if Reggie wanted to go to SJ, but reconsidered once SJ traded for Burns in the end