Smyth wants back in

By , June 20, 2011 2:37 pm

As per TSN.

A deal certainly isn’t imminent and won’t necessarily be an easy transaction for either the Los Angeles Kings or Oilers to close, but sources tell TSN the 35-year-old left winger has indicated to the Kings his preference would be to play next season in Edmonton if a trade can be worked out.

Important details: 1 year remaining, 4.5 mil owed, 6.25 cap

Me personally would love to see him back, but I wouldn’t give up much for a 35 year old salary dump (even though he does contribute a bunch of offense) with only 1 year remaining.

83 Responses to “Smyth wants back in”

Hold onto your hats folks, Ryan Smyth wants to come home:

2. Grass&sOIL says:

Ryan Smyth wants back in:
    Certainly different to hear a player that is under contract say he wants to come to Edmonton. Not sure what type of return the Kings would want but all of our top prospects and top draft picks are off of the table for sure, Hemsky too of course.

I would give up something like Cogs, Rajala and a 3rd rounder for him.

3. Ktown says:

LateNightOilFan:
    Hold onto your hats folks, Ryan Smyth wants to come home:

God, it’s so nice to hear a guy say he wants to play in Edmonton – especially a guy playing in one of the sunny cities.

I’d love to have Smytty back to mentor the kids. He’s a guy that will definitely instil the pride in the jersey. That said, I agree with GMO, I wouldn’t give up too much to get him here. I think if he comes back it would be purely as 3rd line guy, with a huge mentoring role.

As for the $$, well, the $6.25 hit is steep for him now, but for only one year, I don’t think it breaks the bank. We’ve got a lot of space. Then you see if he sticks it out for another 1-2 years @ $2M…

Moved the 5 comments from general discussion to this post.

….even if it is only to buy out Souray.

7. Grass&sOIL says:

What if we give them their 19th overall back, we throw in some spare parts to even the Cap trade off a bit(Brule or Foster) and give them JDD. Then they give us one of their goalies(ether Quick or Bernier as the Kings may be ready to chose one of their goalies to run with now?

To LA

19th overall
    JDD
    Brule and/or Foster

To Edm
    Smyth
    and a goalie

Not too sure about this one as I am just brainstorming. Seems a bit lopsided in our favor to me so maybe there is something missing here.

8. mrgod2u says:

I don’t know that he sits as low as 3rd line, even having lost a step he still is a sweet set up man, and works in the corners. I would love to have Smytty back with us when we finally bring the cup home where it belongs.

Hall would score so many goals on that sneaky pass he does from behind the net. I also agree that one season of high contract might easily balance with the home-town discount we get for a year or 2 after. Regardless of whether he comes next season though, odds are he doesn’t resign in LA then, pretty good chance we see him the season after if we are still interested.

Any time a player candy-asses their way through a shift the coach should show the video of them scraping up Smytty’s chiclets from the 06 run, and then show him getting back on the ice minutes after. That is the level you need to play at to wear Oiler silks.

Which is still the reason we have 5 and Vancouver has 0.

9. Ktown says:

Grass&sOIL:

To LA

19th overall
    JDD
    Brule and/or Foster

To Edm
    Smyth
    and a goalie

Not too sure about this one as I am just brainstorming.

Maybe a second rounder and some warm bodies to soften the blow. I really think Tambi’s gonna hold onto that 19th until somebody bites on switching for a top 10, somebody bites so we can move up a couple spots to get somebody the scouting staff loves and is still available, or nobody bites and we announce who we’re taking.

10. Grass&sOIL says:

Ktown: I wouldn’t give up the 19th – I think that’s a huge piece (if any) that Tambi will use to move up the draft (hopefully top 10). If they gave back the 19th, IMO that would be all they give. That is going to be a very valuable commodity in 4 days time.

Agreed I would only move the 19th if we fail to move up with it on draft day and only if they include one of their tenders our way. First preference with that 19th overall is still to move up in the draft.

11. Grass&sOIL says:

Even if this does not go down it is still a good sign for when Smitty becomes a UFA a year from now. Very good chance Smyth will be an Oiler again someday soon!!!

Consider me in the group that wants Smytty back. I hated him being traded. Yah, he isn’t quite the same player, but he’s still what we need here. That would make it more justified in my mind to keep Hemsky too. Reunited Smyth Horcoff Hemsky. Not sure who will center Hall/Eberle. Or you could keep Horc there and pick up a guy like Arnott.

However… NOOOOO to trading #19 pick. Big mistake. That’s a backwards move, I’m afraid. We need to think long term, and long term says we hang on to #19.

13. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

14. oilinblood says:

Its funny how the article talks about cap hit. Cap is not a worry and its a one year contract. I was never one of those people that was angry that Smyth got traded. I was angry that he wasnt shopped first. I never wanted him “out” but the situation called for it (mind you i also wanted him re-signed for the 5 he wanted the previous summer).

Smyth coming home wouldnt be a bad thing and Souray might just have some value other than flushing money down the toilet and having him sign with LA as a UFA after buy out.

Im ok with this but im not giving up assets i see of value to my team. He wants here so id try to make it happen. He has more good years left and wont be any where near the same $ on an extension.

I like it. Give up what ever spare parts/trash they want. Smyth Horcoff/Lander Hartikainen.
    As long as it isnt an asset we see fitting in our system.

15. oilinblood says:

Grass&sOIL: I myself would be willing to trade the 19th overall only if it included one of their goalies coming our way.Quick and Bernier are both high quality netminders with experience who would be huge additions to the rebuild.Many speculate that the Kings will make a choice this off season as to which way they want to go forward with their crease and will trade the other away.

Thats the only way i put #19 on the table. Both goalies would be good upgrades and allow us to flush Khabi.

Smyth is another oiler who was here in 06 and i think that that is important. I might even be open to keeping Hemsky if this happens. Maybe reunite that whole line and take pressure off the kids.

It opens up possibilities of trying Hall or Magnum (my choice) at centre as well.

Also i think that might be a good message to the kids. Dont be fooled by the green of the dollars…the grass isnt always greener.

Lets be smart here though. he had 20 some goals, 40 some points for 6.5 Million cap. Kings should be happy to part with him and get some cap room. This will NOT be an expensive deal. Also, Smyth coming back is great but really it makes Hemmer more or less off the table so take him out of any idea.

Also KIngs WONT want much cap back. Gagner also is off the table as he has alot more value than a swap for a 35 yr old overpaid 40 ptoint forward.

Picking up Smyth certainly allows patience with a our other prospects. I very much like this idea.

Make it happen, thats all

To LAK:
    Ryan O’Marra
    Robert Nilsson

bah, nevermind..

18. Ktown says:

19. oilinblood says:

Racki: To LAK:Ryan O’MarraRobert Nilssonbah, nevermind..

lol

20. oilinblood says:

Ktown: One thing that just occurred to me, and I’m curious about, that the article doesn’t say. Is Smyth requesting a trade out of LA? or is he simply requesting that if they decide to trade him, he’d prefer they send him to Edmonton?After the Souray thing, I’m leery of players asking for a trade out of a city, even if it is Heart & Soul Smytty asking to come back to the Oil.I’d also be curious as to how this got into the media, ’cause either way, it may make life a little tougher on Lombardi.

I was thinking this as well. I think the kings need more than 50 pts for 6.5 cap if they are going anywhere. They still have people to sign… KEY DEALS. Likely Smyth knows the kings would like to move hima nd basically said, because he has a clause i believe, that hed like Edmonton.
    Fact is theres likely no market for him and his hit at 35. La wants the room to re-sign and upgrade. So its in edmontons court. He wont be expensive.

(I like it.

19 is off the table unless the names Bernier, Quick or Schenn come up.

Hmmm, If the Oilers trade 1 and 19 to the kings for Schenn, Smyth and BErnier or Quick… would you pull the trigger? How about if you have a deal almost done for 4th overall at the cost of Pitlick and Smid?

Chances are Smyth will be dumped for a 4th and a expendable like fraser or something unworthy of writing.

21. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hello everyone, are we talkin about hockey again? Right on!

If the Kings choose Bernier over Quick and it appears as though we would move our veteran netminder in Khabibulin back to LA, how would that be? Of course we would also be taking Smyth’s salary back and parting with 19 overall.

Khabi seems done, but if the Kings went with Bernier, he might be like he was with the Hawks when he was relegated to a backup role. Also, with the Kings in playoff contention they would want a guy with playoff experiece and who better than the MVP?

22. DropIt says:

Good news for the Oilers.

Smyth would make an outstanding mentor for the kids in Edmonton and his intense work ethic would rub off on the entire team. He would be the captain that Edmonton needs right now and be able to take the pressure off of Horcoff. At this point, Edmonton doesnt really need to worry about the salary he is owed as the team has a ton of it left and getting his experince in the locker room would be worth every penny even if Smyth only scored 15 goals on the season.

The cherry on top here is the fact that Smyth shouldnt take much to acquire. I wouldnt even be shocked if it was a sign and trade deal with Coglianno plus a 3rd round pick. The cap relief that LA will get is worth giving Edmonton a deal on their fan favourite

23. DropIt says:

uh oh. Bad news for Oilers

24. oilinblood says:

DropIt: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/06/20/wrighting-a-wrong-in-the-smyth-trade/uh oh. Bad news for Oilers“Holy Cow…that’s the first I’ve heard of that. I have not asked for a trade. I have a year left on my contract. We’ve got some good things here,” said Smyth, who wouldn’t rule out a return here in the summer of 2012 as an unrestricted free-agent, but that’s if the Oilers wanted him. And it might only be a two-year deal for, say, $3.5 million per season.“I guess we would cross that bridge then,” said the 35-year-old leftwinger, who played 770 Oiler games before he was traded to the New York Islanders in a teary goodbye in 2007. He signed in Colorado, spent two years there, then was dealt to Los Angeles on July 3, 2009, for Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a fifth-round draft pick. He waived his no trade clause to go to the Kings.

like i said. LA can use the cap better and actually try to win next season. 6.5 cap hit ison smyth is not how teams win the cup. I imagine Lombardi likely asked smyths agent, because of the NTC, what he would be open to if a deal made sense (getting rid of 6.5 cap before UFA market goes full tilt–BRAD RICHARDS) and Smyth probably said edmonton was his destination of choice.

Its BM at TSN… he is as about word from god as it comes in hockey. his reputation is second to none imho. if bob says he heard this and trusts it enough to print his name on it… than there is my answer and my guess as how it came about.

The funny thing is that after neutering Penner publicly Lombardi has really dug himself a hole. Penner has now been bad mouthed twice and the attention got him under a very big microscope of negativity so his value is zero on the trade market. Smyth is expensive but useful… so they are trying to get 6.5 of freedom.

At straight up value if its more than the equivalent of a 3rd RD pick… dont bother talking.

25. oilinblood says:

Lombardi pretty much confirmed it. Also reported by no less than a dozen LA beat writers including the KIngs own employed blogger for the team.

I think Smyth just didnt want to confirm anything since it makes him look like he REQUESTED a trade which is not true. He simply said that if he is being shopped hed waive his NTC for edmonton or else the kings can try to buy him out.

Remember tomorrow is buy out day. Soooo you can put it down as advertising a product to get some feelers out. Maybe Smyths agent did it or the kings simply told the blogger he wouldnt get fired if by chance he was to inform other media figures… and then confirmed the reports in his own Kings paid for blog.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smytty, but let’s not get too jizzed in our pants here. This guy doesn’t even play PP in LA anymore. I think that’s dumb, but it is what it is. He’s slow as hell and costly. Having said all that he’d be the first guy I’d want back to teach these kids how to be a proud Oiler……until you want a contract. :P

:P

Racki: Smyth for Khabibulin? Come onnnnnnnnnn! Please? Smyth for Khabibulin and our next 12 1st round draft picks… please?

Dare to dream Racki. Dare to Dream. I know. We’re stuck with that drunk Russian basterd. Also, if Smyth wants back in, I want to see him cry for it. :o

EDIT: From Jonesy: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2011/06/20/18310626.html

29. oilinblood says:

chucker: Interesting points. I would be in favour of any trade that involves Khabbi moving out and Smyth coming back, even if we had to give back that 19th as long as we get one of their goalies coming back of course. At least that way the salaries even out, and a blight is erased from the Oilers on two fronts.Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smytty, but let’s not get too jizzed in our pants here. This guy doesn’t even play PP in LA anymore. I think that’s dumb, but it is what it is. He’s slow as hell and costly. Having said all that he’d be the first guy I’d want back to teach these kids how to be a proud Oiler……until you want a contract. His cap hit is brutal and we’d have to give them a forward who has the potential to replace his offense. He’s number three on their scoring chart. (Why the F don’t they use him on the PP ? I don’t get that….at least he wasn’t for the last 30ish games or so) anyway, tangent.Cogliano, Brule, Foster, Souray, JFJ, Stortini, JDD, KHABBI, Gilbert, Chorney and Fraser could all be possibles in a trade that brings back Smyth and a goalie. If at all possible, I’d like to not give back that pick. We’ll get an NHL player with that pick for the next 10 years or so in all liklihood. I’d prefer to keep that too if at all possible, which I believe it is.EDIT: After reading that blog (thanks OIB), I change my stance. 4th rounder and Fraser. We take the cap hit.

hes a solid pker. thats where i see him. I actually think a line of him Harti and maybe Horc… if we have a better centre coming…. might be a great tandem.

Oh btw if we get Smyth… Brule or COgs wouldnt have a spot anymore so you might as well be nice to lombardi and let him choose. they will be lost for nothing soon after. Lets keep in mind that those fringe players have about zero value in the summer.

30. oilinblood says:

chucker: That’s too much. Souray and cogs/a 3rd rounder is lots. Not both in my view. He would be a great guy to teach these kids though. After the Penner deal, Lombardi will be reluctant to trade his third highest scoring player. Because of the Penner deal, an extra draft pick/prospect is likely what they would be asking for, but the cap hit makes it essential that they take Souray to me.

Souray = lots of money paid to play in A…or flushed down toilet for buy out to let him walk for free.
    Cog = if Smyth is here… Hall, Magnum, Smyth, Jones… UNEMPLOYED
    3rd Round pick….= 3rd rd pick.
    Khabi = NOT a good role model. He wont even face his punishment!
    Brule = can actually play centre, take a hit from my grandma AND WIN A DRAW TO SAVE HIS LIFE. Might be good with a slow Smyth. Interesting.

Speaking of a Jones…. is there enough room for two mullets here?

And I agree with Chucker… I think that while Cogliano is showing less value to our team he’d still be a good pick up for another team. I think there is still a player to be salvaged there. But then again, I said that about Schremp too.. :P

And I could only dream of Khabi going the other way in a deal with LA. I wish.

Cogs, put in an offensive role, would fit in well on the Kings. He should be enough to get it done to me.

33. Mr.Majestyk says:

Cogs would be like Simmonds…in Buffalo, and he’s from Toronto so thats good.

34. DropIt says:

Racki: Speaking of a Jones…. is there enough room for two mullets here?

You’re still Edmonton aren’t you?

Considering how close Helene Elliott is to the Kings, and that she mentions all it would take is a mid round draft pick…I say do it.

There ya have it. That’s really all it should take. Stuffing Souray in there is just lessening the salary blow for Katz. But Cogliano in the deal would be overpayment. People need to stop thinking of him as a throw-in.

That said, Tambellini is all about his getting younger idea so it might not happen. Soon he’ll be looking to send out Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi (far too old now) for picks.

38. NorwegianOiler says:

Count me as an opposer to re-acquiring Smyth. The time has passed. In fact, if Tambellini dealt Penner and acquired Smyth within six months during a rebuild I’d say his ‘plan’ is becoming more and more obscure. At least Penner’s age would have allowed him to be a veteran presence when we’re ready to compete, whereas Smyth probably won’t be.

Anything but moving Souray straight up would leave me disinterested.

N.O.: I think you’re partly right about the obscurity, but I don’t agree that Smyth is a bad decision at this point. Penner is maybe veteran by age, but I wouldn’t necessarily say veteran in his commitment level and knowing what it takes to be a winner. I would definitely look at Smyth as a player who could mentor our younger kids. With Penner, I still consider him learning what it takes to be a pro and wouldn’t consider him much of a mentor to our younger players at all.

So in that sense, I don’t think it would be an obscure decision to bring in Smyth, but I did think that it already was a bit of an obscure decision to move Penner (because I felt that he was a good contributor to the team) unless they didn’t see the level of commitment with him that they hoped for.

Also, at this stage of their careers, Penner is a guy who needs the top line minutes in order to succeed. He can’t get that here anymore with Hall here, I don’t think.

For some reason, I wasn’t feeling overly excited about the possibility of Smyth returning. I’m still kinda, ‘ok let’s just see what happens’. I’m worried people will be expecting him to pick right up where he left off, as if 4 years hadn’t passed and wonder if he’ll be able to deliver and stay healthy.

And then I go to his stats and realize Smitty played all 82 regular season games last year and with 47 pts would have led the Oilers, and realize again how much we sucked! Sure there were some exciting moments and glimpses of things to come last year, but overall, it really was the blind leading the blind. He would help teach these kids how to win, how to dig deep to give 110% to win, and once this year is done his upcoming contracts would be pretty manageable.

So, if he can be had for a pick as a salary/cap dump for the LAK or in exchange for a buy-out contract like Souray (the Kings would be crazy to take on Khabi, that ain’t happening IMO) then I think it would be a good thing for all sides.

Yah LNOF, that is basically how I feel. The Oilers need to get some veteran leadership in here. I see no problems with Ryan Smyth being that guy they bring in. Is he past his prime? For sure, but I don’t think that we can’t revisit this area again next year. It would be better served to have someone in their early 30s (a la Horcoff) brought in instead… someone who will be here a little longer. But I’d still be very content with Ryan Smyth.

As far as any expectations that Ryan Smyth will light it up again, I have a feeling that this might be a bit of an assumption on your part as to what the fans are thinking (i.e. we don’t want to give our own fanbase the benefit of doubt… which often times is warranted lol). Myself, being pro-Smyth, I can say that I have no delusions of that happening at all. I see him as a viable choice to show the young kids the ropes and finer intricacies of the game as well as instill that very strong level of commitment and compete he’s always shown. If we only get 30-ish points out of him, so be it. I would be willing to bet though that the young kids gain from his knowledge, however, and we eventually see their point totals increase from that knowledge gained.

Well Racki – when it comes to giving the average fan the benefit of the doubt, maybe I am under-estimating them. However, you yourself said ‘reunite the Horcoff-Hemsky-Smyth’ line – now I know you, as a highly paid, savvy and experienced blogger , have tempered expectations and wouldn’t expect that line to necessarily re-capture their magic to the same level, but the average fan might get caught up in high expectations, especially the fans who were at the airport to see Ryan off that teary day in ‘07. These are the same fans, along with a lot of hard core message board users and bloggers who were thrilled beyond pieces to welcome an injury prone 36 year old with a cup ring to town. Expectations can get out of hand with all fanbases.

All in all though, I think Smitty can be a solid addition where the Oilers need it, I just have a feeling the average fan might forget about the 4 year gap. While it would be a huge lift to the fanbase, I just hope it doesn’t automatically make us perceived to be ‘Cup contenders’ in the eyes of some. Smitty’s return should be considered part of the rebuild but not cloud the rebuild.

LNOF: Yah in the case of reuniting the Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky line, I think that more is speaking of my flaw of undervaluing Hemsky’s use to the team here. I figured that as a solid 2nd or 3rd line, not as our top line. I still think Hall/Eberle is our line that we feed the minutes too (just not sure who centers it). But I would put Smyth with Hemsky just because I know he can still bury some garbage goals. I don’t have expectations of Smyth reaching 70 points playing with Hemsky, or anything. And well, I guess that would also not be making very good use of Hemmer if he’s not playing with a line mate who can score 30+.

I just can’t help but think that a good set of lines would be:

Hall – ?? – Eberle
    Smyth – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Paajarvi – Gagner – Omark
    Hartikainen – ?? – Jones

Potential first line center could be Horcoff, since he works well with those 2. For 2nd line center, we might then find another veteran center for there. As for line 4, i would hope for a UFA signing that can play 2 way and win draws.

I’m really seeing it as a balanced attack for the top 9, although I think it would really taper off after that top line. I don’t think it would be too unrealistic to think Smytty could pot 20 playing with his old linemates again, but it’s not something I expect either. I also think Smyth could move down the line if need be, and if he isn’t working out.

44. Alan-NottsUK says:

I would love to see Gagner center Smyth and Hemsky, I think it would benefit him no end.

and if RNH is drafted i think you could put Horcoff between Omark and Paajarvi to help those two out in the same way he did with Hall and Eberle early in the season.

Actually, Alan, I didn’t even think about that possibility, but I think that’s a smart suggestion too…. Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky.

Lander centering Paajarvi and Omark might still be an option too, although I suspect he plays in the AHL a lot this year.

I still would really like Horcoff centering Hall and Eberle, if possible. Unless a better option comes along.

46. Alan-NottsUK says:

i just thought how gagner and omark on the same line last year were horrid defensively, and both could use some experienced players on their line to help them out with that side of their game.

the only thing is i’m not sure how good defensively these lines would be as an overall group, because there would be no shut down line so to speak.

Hall – RNH – Eberle
    Smyth – Gagner – Hemsky
    Paajarvi – Horcoff – Omark
    Hartikainen – Cogliano – Jones

on a completely unrelated note, i’m watching the oilers @ van game i went to at the back end of the season, ah that was so much fun.

47. oilinblood says:

What Tambi should be saying –

Cogs straight up (again do the numbers people Cogs or Brule is out if Smyth is in – Brule can actually take a hit and win draws as a pivot) for Smyth.

Its a cash dump.

If Lombardi wants more… he has a few days i believe to buy Smyth out and we will look at Smyth for freee on the open market for a price we want.

According to that Kings article that Steve-O linked, they’d likely be looking for a middle of the pack pick.. so like 3rd or 4th round. I think Cogliano is overpayment. We have a tough time fitting him in here, but I still don’t think he’s a throw in that people make him out to be. I think he’s a good winger forced into a center role. He can play two-way, is pretty fast, and has the top six potential. Overrated by me, I’m sure, I just think if we’re talking a 3rd or 4th pick vs. Cogliano, I’ll move the 3rd or 4th pick instead.

Yeah, no need to put Cogs in if the mid round pick is all they want. Swapping a bad contract would be nice though. Nice draft day deal if you have some forethought. Bettman before the first pick, “We have a trade to announce. To the L.A. Kings, a 3d/4th round pick in this year’s draft. To Edmonton, Ryan Smyth. Steve Tambellini, please go ahead and make your first overall selection.”

That’s a PR dream. Should be a no-brainer, but I’m guessing Tambo is evaluating…..

I’d expect anywhere between 10-20 goals, with 20 being a great season. Smyth bring a ton of leadership that we need here.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
    Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
    Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
    Hartski-Konopka-Jones

Those would be my ideal forward lines this season.

CGY’s 3rd round pick for Smyth, that should get it done.