Smyth wants back in

By , June 20, 2011 2:37 pm

As per TSN.

A deal certainly isn’t imminent and won’t necessarily be an easy transaction for either the Los Angeles Kings or Oilers to close, but sources tell TSN the 35-year-old left winger has indicated to the Kings his preference would be to play next season in Edmonton if a trade can be worked out.

Important details: 1 year remaining, 4.5 mil owed, 6.25 cap

Me personally would love to see him back, but I wouldn’t give up much for a 35 year old salary dump (even though he does contribute a bunch of offense) with only 1 year remaining.

83 Responses to “Smyth wants back in”

1. John says:

I see Smitty getting 18-22 goals IF he got to play 16-20+ min every night. If they used him in a lesser role I think they would be overpaying him. The problem is who do you get rid of to make room for him? We pretty much already have established 1st & 2nd liners (barring trades of course), so that means bumping a developing young player down to the 3rd line who deserves 2nd line or possibly 1st line ice time. Unless they move a Cogliano, Gagner, etc. at the draft to aquire him & make room to avoid upsetting the apple cart too much, I just don’t see where he fits anymore :(

I love the idea of Smitty coming back to Edmonton to finish his career but it has to make sense & can’t interfere with the rebuilding & developement process in swing already.

2. Alan-NottsUK says:

it’s been rumoured that the the reason talks stalled is that Dean Lombardi asked for Gagner + 2nd round pick

Alan-NottsUK:

I would have to think that even he isn’t stupid enough to think that a 35-year old expiring contract is worth anywhere near that much. Who rumored that? Sounds Eklund Twatwaffleish. lol

John: I liked what Alan suggested of Smyth… playing him with Gagner and Hemsky. It could work. We’ve got 3 scoring lines to spread the wealth through. Smyth doesn’t need to be top billing anymore at this stage of his career.

Yeah, if that rumor is true, then Lombardi gets laughed at by Tambo. He will be lucky to get a player back. This is not a do over for the Penner deal.

5. Ktown says:

Alan-NottsUK:

That’s just Lombardi’s opener. He was hoping Tambi would come back with Cogs and a 4th. It would be pretty easy negotiations, and a done deal.

Tambo better not be coming back with Cogs and a 4th, in my opinion! Although I get what you’re saying… first of all that Lombardi is hoping for that, and second of all that there will be some negotiation. But really, Smyth should be had from maybe CGY’s 3rd at worst. How about that.. Ryan Smyth + rental player for Steve Staios…. :P

7. Ktown says:

Well, I just think at this time, Cogs is just a trading piece in this roster. I think last season (and his $1M contract) was an opportunity to either impress management enough to keep him, or increase whatever trade value he had. I think he played well, but in our roster, he’s going to end up being on the outside in the next couple of seasons. While I’m certainly aware of Smytty’s age, cap-hit, and waning production (LOL – only 20+ goals last season), I wouldn’t consider it too steep an overpayment (overpayment? yes – but not as steep as the Penner fleecing we gave them). But – I do like your 3rd pick offer.

The funny thing I’m reading, are all the writers talking about how it doesn’t make sense for the Oilers to bring him back – cap-hit, age, youth rebuild, etc. They mention how there’s enough veteran leadership on the team, or that there are better options out there. I guess my reaction to that is, “how many doobies do these assholes smoke between writing?”

Cap-hit – what? for one year, on a team that will be under the cap floor this season without spending? And on a guy that goes UFA in one year and either a) retires, or b) signs for the discount? I don’t think the $$ is an issue.

Age vs. youth – Because a group of 20 year old kids DON’T need guidance on how to be pros? Granted, the 80s Oilers didn’t have a lot of big name vets on the team, but they had some of the greatest teachers on what it took to win the Stanley Cup – guys by the name of Bossy, Trottier, Smith, Potvin, etc. – and frankly, I don’t see this crop of Baby Blue & Oranges getting that same opportunity any time soon. Just ’cause you’re in a youth movement, it doesn’t mean you suddenly disqualify anybody over 30.

Does it take away a roster spot from a young guy? Yep, probably. But likely a 3rd or 4th line guy. Who would you rather have – Liam Reddox learning to be a Pro, or Ryan Smyth teaching guys how?

Enough veteran leadership – um… what? Horcoff? – yes. Whitney? – sure, when he comes back healthy. Strudwick? – well, hopefully from a coaching or management perspective, but not much else. After that, then who? Gagner – the 21 year old kid himself? How about Gilbert, who at 28 years old is still trying to figure his own shit out? Nope, IMHO, not enough veteran leadership by a country mile.

Better options out there – better options than a guy that wore his heart on his sleeve every game? that stitched up his wreck of a mouth in 10 minutes so he could keep playing in one of the biggest games the team had in the past decade? Better than a guy nicknamed “Captain Canada”? Better than a guy who WANTS to come play in a city and for a team that 73% of the league’s players say they don’t want to play for? A guy who lived “pride in the jersey” for this team, and wants to come home? The Trevor Linden of the Edmonton Oilers? (objection! argumentative! – sustained. But Linden’s one of the few Nucks I actually like and respect).

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I think I’m preaching to the choir (for the most part) on this one. From the looks of these posts, we’re mainly in favor of bringing Smytty back (if the price isn’t too high).

I just can’t get over the fact that some writers think this would be a bad idea. A true Oilers leader, and a huge PR boost by having a guy WANT to come back. Let’s face it. In about 2 years, this team is going to make huge strides to being a contending team, and we’re going to need to pull a few FA off the market. What better way to dispel the notion that Edmonton is a shitty place to play, than to bring in a guy that bleeds Blue, Orange, and Copper and chose to come to a rebuilding team in NHL Siberia, rather than sticking it out in sunny LA on a team that could easily contend sooner?

I shake my head sometimes. (then I get a headache, and need to lie down and relax. Then I wake up and do it all over again.)

8. Ktown says:

uh… wow. that’s a long post.

Somebody needs to calm the F down and take a chill pill. Who is that guy, and why does Racki let him keep posting here?

*sigh* (opens bottle of beer and drinks)

Absolutely 100% agree with the rant. Very well said, and needed to be said.

As far as Cogliano… I don’t agree there. I just think that yes, he is a trading piece. We probably do want to move him, and you could even easily argue that we SHOULD move him. However, I still think that you have to look at the guy’s value. To our team, he’s a redundant piece, but to another team he’s a young kid that still has room to develop, is a damn fast skater, can score goals, play the PK decently well, etc… I think on another team where he was allowed more reign, he might do quite well. I also remember that one time he was untouchable here.. and maybe I’m clinging too tightly to that. But I just don’t consider him a throw in, even though he has less use on this team.

You have to treat the asset as how they’d be valuable to another team in a case like this.

Gagner and a 2nd? Look I want Smyth back as much as anyone, but that would be a huge overpayment. Lets just hope it was Lombardi’s opening offer. CGY’s 3rd should get it done, Kings need the cap space. Something tells me this deal gets done on Friday night after the Oilers make their pick, seems like a good story line, and a way to keep people at the draft party interested til lthe 19th overall pick.

Isn’t Smytty a buyout target according to some bloggers? Is so, Lombardi could have to take a cap hit and Smytty is an UFA. he better take what he is offered. Smytty could force his hand with his NMC.

12. Grass&sOIL says:

chucker:
    Isn’t Smytty a buyout target according to some bloggers?Is so, Lombardi could have to take a cap hit and Smytty is an UFA. he better take what he is offered.Smytty could force his hand with his NMC.

not too sure how it works but when Smitty waived his NMC to move from the Avs to the Kings did the NMC get transferred as well or is it now null and void?

13. oilinblood says:

NMC is still in effect. and yes Smitty could be bought out and alot of people were thinking this when the team got eliminated. Since lombardi crapped on Penner that makes his value worthless unless he starts the year hot. So for the summer they wont get much for penner if anything. Smyth is a buy out at his age.

BTW good post K.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pretty much in agreement here.

And there is NO WAY Gags would be moved for a high cap hit vet. Thats utterly rediculous. Gags should be valuable enough that if we shopped him right now we would be targeting a 4-8 draft position straight up.

As for Cogs… i ask Rack to do the MAth. Where is he going to fit on this his ninth life to prove himself? JOnes is in. Is Brule out or is Cogs? One at the very least has to go…there is no spot. If Smyth comes in both may have to go. One rook will likely beat him cleanly in camp and then you cant trade him because he got beat by a teenie bopper (i think there were 4 that got cut last year and looked at Cogs and were like WTF?).
    I think Cogs and Flames pick is fine. Smyth can do what Cogs was supposed to do. Hell id take Kadri for Cogs… and there are few things i hate more than that little booger KAds. Then id stick Kads in the A.

14. neufab says:

I love the idea of Smyth winning a Cup in Edmonton before he retires. If they do this right, he could be that guy that every winning team has in their line up. Smyth for Souray, could be good for both teams.

15. hemmerlady says:

LOL K-town. I liked your rant, and agreed with most of it. I was thinking the same thing – what, we need MORE timbits on the team? Really? I think we have enough babes trying (admirably, and sometimes successfully) to play above AHL level.

I’d like Smytty back, if he really wants to come back, and mgmt doesn’t sign him to a retarded (Khabi) contract.

BTW I didn’t get the chance to high-five you about our collective sigh of relief last week. :) Canucks collapse FTW.

oilinblood:

BTW good post K.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pretty much in agreement here.

I think Cogs and Flamers pick is fine. Smyth can do what Cogs was supposed to do. Hell id take Kadri for Cogs… and there are few things i hate more than that little booger KAds. Then id stick Kads in the A.

You’re not getting my point, my friend.

It’s not about the math you talk about, it’s about getting full value for your assets. ;)

Cogs is cheap as well. No need to rush on that one for now.

18. oilinblood says:

Racki: You’re not getting my point, my friend. Cogs is not someone I consider a key piece of this team either anymore due to redundancy. However, it doesn’t make him a THROW IN. We don’t just toss away good assets because we don’t need them. Trade them, yes. But get value for them. Ryan Smyth would be great here, but a 3rd gets it done. You don’t just throw in Cogliano because he’s not needed here anymore.If a 3rd pick doesn’t get the Smyth trade done, I’d be surprised. If we put Cogliano in a deal then we get another reclamation project or a pick in return. It’s not about the math you talk about, it’s about getting full value for your assets.

BTW i kind of read my post after i posted it and knew that that whole math thing might come off as having a rude tone… but i know you know how i write and there was no tone so i didnt worry.
    You point to asset management and i point to 1way contract number management. Especially on a team with the cupboards of talent we have.
    We will differ on the market for Cogs and if any team in the league is even interested in waivers on the guy. Theres just too many players cut loose for free every season. Even on waivers there are more useful players available if you watch the wires.
    Brule isnt much better in terms of reliability or market value. I figure both would likely be non-nhlers if not 1st rounders. they are definently getting their chances now. Id feel better keeping Brule but again…so many better options.

No offense taken at all by the math thing or anything else. And agree to disagree on Cogs’ value, or potential value (like Chucker said, he’s cheap anyways, so no need to rush him out I don’t think… might be able to turn him into a more desirable asset, especially if we get him on the wing again).

20. Alan-NottsUK says:

didn’t cogliano have one of the leagues lowest GA when on the PK. I think it was 5th best of somewhere around that mark, now this could be by pure chance, but i doubt it when you look at how bad the oilers PK was.

21. Ktown says:

I think I see your point, Racki – maybe Cogs isn’t a throw-in. I agree, on other teams, I think he’s the kinda guy that could easily have far more value than he does here. I think it’s likely he gets thrown in because of that redundancy factor, and in this case, if Lombardi is backed up against a wall, he may just take what he gets. IMO, if it comes down to it, and Lombardi insists on a roster player back (which may be just as unlikely if he’s going to make a pitch at Brad Richards) then Cogs is the perfect guy. But I guess I’d agree, don’t throw him in as a charity gimme to make Lombardi feel better…

hemmerlady:

BTW I didn’t get the chance to high-five you about our collective sigh of relief last week. Canucks collapse FTW.

That’s a big OH YEAH! Actually, confession time for Ktown. I was forced to watch the game with a bunch of Canuck fans (damn my wife and neighbors!) Anyways, they were laughing about getting me into a Nucks jersey if they won. I told them I’d be wearing a jersey that would prove how much I actually detest Vancouver.

So (big sigh – this is gonna hurt), I went to my neighbors house wearing (oh god) a Calgary Flames jersey (I can’t believe I just said that). I figured it sent a good message when a Flames jersey was on my back long before a Canucks jersey will ever be.

Now, to be clear – I have never, and will never pay money for a Flames jersey. That was the second time it has ever touched my back and it’s not likely it ever will again. In ’04 my girlfriend (at the time) took me to Calgary to meet her parents and friends. One of her friends (apparently daughter of some pharmaceutical tycoon) got us tickets to Game 6 vs TB (who’d say no?) and got us all jerseys. Hell, it still has Molson Canadian from the Saddledome spilled on the sleeve! Anyways – that’s how I got a Flames jersey, and why it is to this day still haunting my closet.

Sorry to all the ABC’ers out there. I’m still an ABC’er, it’s just my C stands for Canucks.

NOTE: I just read this post and noticed that I always typed out “Flamers” – that wasn’t deliberate. I guess my fingers know enough to just type that out on their own… lol

Ktown – We have a text replace automatically set up for certain words, that being one ;)

23. Ktown says:

Racki:

Ohhhhh…. I was a little surprised by it. LOL…

Less beer, more paying attention…

Eklund Twatwaffle.

So this is stalling out because of Brule, according to Gregor.

As suspected, I don’t think he’s going to pass the medical. One of the users here “in the know” can speak to that, if they wish, but Brule has a health issue that will keep him from being a viable trade option (and thus why I don’t think he’s a good option for us either). Basically he’ll probably end up like Fernando Pisani. I hope for the best for him though, whether it’s here or elsewhere, but that’s that.

Anyways, the deal might still get done, but the Oil will have to offer someone else. Jacques? Fraser? Foster? Maybe a 3rd in 2012 and one of them instead? (since they aren’t too marketable)

26. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:
    So this is stalling out because of Brule, according to Gregor.

From what I had heard the Kings were planing to buy out Brule(probably if trading him failed) The problem could be that Brule might not be able to be bought out by the Kings if is not healthy. Isn’t this what stopped the Rangers from buying out Drury?

Edit: Yes this is indeed the case. TSN confirms it http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369983

Ahhh that’s interesting. So really, we’re just sending them salary. So…. Fraser? This should be doable and not block the trade.

I don’t understand why stuff like this takes so long. Should Tambellini not be seeing that someone like Colin Fraser is not needed here? Why not package him off instead of Brule? (assuming that Brule did indeed fail the medical, and they’re not just waiting for results). Send Fraser instead. Less salary paid by the Kings to buy him out, but the cap hit is $25k per year less (after buyout). Or Foster… double the cap hit from buyout though…

I don’t understand why this stuff takes so long.

At any rate, I think it is a bad omen for Brule. I think he’s a good kid, so I feel for him. I don’t want to speculate too much… but it’s not a good sign that he was going to be bought out, but probably can’t be due to health issues.

29. Grass&sOIL says:

Oiler and King relations are very strained right now. All of these leaked reports, Flamer interest and LA feeling ripped on the Penner deal has of this all looking very shady.

The Kings had no intentions on keeping Brule anyways, so I am not so sure that the Kings should really feel that way (relations have strained), unless the Oil had some strange hope that the Kings would take Brule without doing some digging and then just be stuck with him, perhaps?

BTW, I take back any speculation on Brule “health concerns”. They might exist, but it’s still just a bit of speculation on my part. He could just still be suffering from his injury at the end of the season.

Things have come to a stall though, and I’m not really sure why (unless it’s because of what you say G&S). Really, throw another one of our bum players in there like Fraser.

Oh and Staples is saying that he’s reading that the Kings are still talking with the Oil about a deal, and even the Flames (really?! Why… Iggy has Tanguay.. )

32. Grass&sOIL says:

I doubt that the Flames ever had any true intentions of acquiring Smyth. Never did and still does not make any sense. Could the Flames have played along with LA to progress their talks with Tangs?

Seriuosly, it’s starting to get a little annoying. Just get it done guys lets go.