Smyth to the Oilers for 7th and Colin Fraser

By , June 26, 2011 10:26 am
Ryan Smyth, bleeding copper and blue

Ryan Smyth, bleeding copper and blue

Brilliant deal. Done deal. Love it.

Ryan Smyth back to the Oilers is...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

72 Responses to “Smyth to the Oilers for 7th and Colin Fraser”

How are the Oilers fucking this stuff up all the time?

Colin Fraser is “unhealthy” which might void the Smyth deal

First they didn’t due their due diligence on Khabi… then they screw up with Brule in Smyth deal.. now this?

Fraser injured his foot at the end of the year. I wonder if it’s not healed, or if like Brule they just goofed up some paperwork or something.

Next up, Kurtis Foster (I wish.. they can even have a 4th again)

Racki:
    How are the Oilers fucking this stuff up all the time?

Colin Fraser is “unhealthy” which might void the Smyth deal

Next up, Kurtis Foster (I wish.. they can even have a 4th again)

I say that the Oiler management team is made up of stupid stupid people

Ok, word from good kings source is oil said fraser was healthy but kings found otherwise. Deal won’t be voided but compensation will be given. As to what, I don’t know.

Big thumbs down to oilers medical staff for this bullshit again.

Another trading partner alienated.

“@dantencer: Stauffer reports that the Oilers indicated the injury to Colin Fraser in the trade memo and that an “as is” situation was agreed to.”

The kings were obviously going to gothe buyout route, so I call b.s. here.

Racki:

The kings were obviously going to gothe buyout route, so I call b.s. here.

helene elliotte (spelling?) mentioned that they were not going to buy out fraser and going to give him a chance to make the team in the 4th line center role

Kings drop the ball on two separate players. Not co-incidence. Lombardi hugely overrated.

I call BS.

chucker:
    Kings drop the ball on two separate players.Not co-incidence. Lombardi hugely overrated.

I call BS.

How did the Kings drop the ball? I think they’re get hosed by our management, if you ask me.

Less fine print, more just coming out with the proper details – “Fraser has a broken foot… do you still want him anyways?” (or whatever the case may be).

Yeah, I retract that. They should upgrade the pick out of courtesy. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Kings+miffed+Fraser+injured+foot+Smyth+deal/5031222/story.html

The reaction is very negative to the Oil on all sites. Time for damage control. I would bet the “as is” clause is in every deal’s fine print.

Oh man, Tambi is looking like a real idiot here, as are the Oilers as a whole. I’m glad Smyth is back, but man thistrade situation is too much.

Hard to know who is at fault here just yet.. Oilers medical staff say Fraser is fine.. Kings staff says otherwise.

Our medical staff doesn’t exactly have the best reputation. Tambi seemed pretty pissed though at the suggestion that the Kings didn’t know or that something was not above board.

There is likely some blame on both sides, but it may also be a case of the agent quietly being involved as Fraser was a buyout target. You never know.

Okay. I have done some more reding on this. Several sites say that the injury was discussed and that Fraser was cleared to start workouts and the Kings were told this. It seems that their doctors, after the trade, examined him and thought he needed surgery. So they disagreed initially with the diagnosis. Tambi says our doctors have spoken to their doctors and the Kings were more comfortable with it but Fraser is one seeking a consultation with a foot specialist. Tambi also said there will be no more rearranging the trade.

Caveat emptor?

This has turned into a confusing little mess. We need to either re-vamp our medical staff or send them to some hospitality weekend course (I’m sure Souray would have liked that…). Either way, we have Smyth but I hope this doesn’t harm our reputation as an orginization. I kind of feel bad for Fraser, he can compete for a spot but come on… look at this center depth:
    Anze Kopitar
    Mike Richards
    Michal Handzus
    Jarret Stoll

Sounds like a combination of sour grapes over Penner and Smyth neutering any bargaining power that Lombardi had as well as poor communication. Safe to say the Kings won’t be trading withnus anymore. Whatever. I find it hard to believe the Oil would trade a player they know is injured. L.A. asked specifically for Brule the first go round. I would think duevdiligence makes them look at his noted concussions filed with the NHL injuries list. As far as Fraser goes, like I said; there was obvious poor communication and the Kings got cap space but an angry fan base. I have to think part of this is a bit of a show by Lombardi. This will be his last year if the team stays where it has performance wise, which is very likely to me. Smells like a GM who got caught with his pants down and he is now trying to save face. Staples suggests this as well. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/06/30/will-the-oilers-have-to-sweeten-the-pot-to-get-ryan-smyth/

I don’t really understand why Lombardi would be sour towards the Oilers for the Penner trade, if anything it should be towards his pro scouting staff. Many of us users here can agree he didn’t give 110% most nights, or really any night for that matter. He can be a good player but his production or lack of doesn’t surprise me, not one bit. I have the same thoughts as you Chucker, in regards to Lombardi being on a very short leash.

Yah seriously… the whole Penner thing.. we didn’t hide anything. that’s all your own research there. When we fuck up and sign Khabibulin, it’s Tambellini’s fault for signing an over-the-hill, crappy, hurt goaltender. When we traded originally for Colin Foster, Tambellini “sucked as a GM” for not doing research into seeing what kind of player he is. Ditto for Lupul in the Pronger trade. Lowe was dumb for not researching the type of player he was. There was no mention about how Lowe should be pissed off because Burke allowed him to make that trade.

In this case, why isn’t Lombardi the dumb GM for trading for a player with known compete-level issues?

Lombardi is a GM who has been under pressure from management for a few years now. Us hosing him in back to back trades makes him look dumb. Like I said, he needs to have the team perform to keep his job and despite what he is saying about Fraser competing, he was only traded for because of the low buyout. Now he can’t be bought out. Lombardi looks like a fool. Owners notice. Thankfully for him he landed Richards, but at a big price in my view. Now he has one less scoring winger. It’s not all roses for him and we are an easy scapegoat for his incompetence.

That’s how I see it.

BTW, for the record, I wasn’t defending Lombardi… or targeting anyone’s opinion here. I hear all the time from the Oil fan base how our management is stupid for something that someone else does frequently as well (and gets a pass for). That said, I don’t tend to pull punches with Tambellini, so I’m probably as guilty as anyone anyways. lol

Anyways, Lombardi and the LA Times chick (@Helenenothelen) say that they want Fraser as a center option, not for buyout.

But yah, Lombardi is definitely using the Oil as a scapegoat for his own screw ups.

There is definitely an agenda down south.

I think we should sign Handzus. :P

We should offersheet Bernier, since he’s already pissed at us. lol I’m kidding. If Doughty wasn’t going to arbitration, I’d seriously suggest him though. :P

21. hemmerlady says:

I don’t know what all the fuss is about…isn’t it sort of standard to add a clause or condition to a contract that the player must be examined by the incoming team’s medical personnel prior to the trade being final? Who crapped the bed on that one? Of course a team trading the player away will have potentially biased medical staff (he’s still good! he’s still good!), so did you just take their word for it? How naive can you be? “Oh Tambi says he’s cool, let’s go with it.” Plus it’s not like it was a secret Fraser had an injured foot; he was on the IR for godsakes. I think someone’s pulling a Tortorella.

Edit: Happy Canada Day everyone.