Smyth to the Oilers for 7th and Colin Fraser

By , June 26, 2011 10:26 am
Ryan Smyth, bleeding copper and blue

Ryan Smyth, bleeding copper and blue

Brilliant deal. Done deal. Love it.

Ryan Smyth back to the Oilers is...

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

72 Responses to “Smyth to the Oilers for 7th and Colin Fraser”

Ryan Smyth deal is official!
    Brilliant ST! Fraser + 7th for Smyth. Now a kid, most likely Lander, will have quite an opppertunity.

Damn Zack, you are fast. Beat me to it. Anyways, that is a spectacular move. Fraser and a 7th?? Any day.

3. Alan-NottsUK says:

we traded away a center, however we also just drafted one,

RNH, Gagner, Horcoff, Cogliano could well be the 4 centers next season.

will be interesting to see what happens with Cogs though

Haha I checked twitter as the deal went through, coincidence? And Jesse Wallin (Red Deer Rebels coach) made a wicked analogy of keeping RNH in the W another year and BBQing ribs. I think he should stay at least another year in the W, find another center (Arnott?), have Horc – Gags/UFA – Cogs/UFA (Konopka?).

So basically free. Excellent deal.

Well I think this deal also shows us that there will be a new center on the 4th line (KONOPKA?) this season. Love the trade. Fraser wasn’t gonna be around much longer and you aren’t finding a Ryan Smyth with a 7th round pick.

Next on the list: Buy-out Souray

Hall Horcoff Eberle
    Smyth Gagner Hemsky
    Paajarvi Lander Omark
    Hartikainen ???/VV Jones

I think that would pass for our forward lines for now. The 3rd line might need a better center option for now, as Lander really shouldn’t be dropped in a key role just yet, probably (and could use some time in the AHL).

Our defense still could be quite scary though, in a bad way.

We need to fast forward a couple of years to when guys like Marincin and Klefbom will be in the lineup.

8. Alan-NottsUK says:

I’m not too worried about Defence. Losing Whitney last season just killed us, but if you take any teams #1 D they would struggle.

Whitney, Petry, Gilbert, Peckham, Smid are all good NHLers

then in the system we have Tuebert, Marincin, Klefbom, Davidson, and Blaine, who will all hopefully be able to make the jump

9. Grass&sOIL says:

After all this time it is great to have one of these “a player wants out of a certain city” trades go our way for once.

Welcome back Smitty!!!!

Looks like the NHL will be going to 4 divisions when the realignment happens: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113 Not too sure how I feel about that right now. I don’t like the odd number teams in each division but I do want to know more about how the league plans to work this before passing more judgment on it.

I like everything except the unbalanced Divisions. I think they would have to incorporate playoff cross over similar to how it works in the AHL.

Racki, I dn’t think the defense will be great either, but I think a guy like Jan Hejda would certainly help us out.

Whitney-Gilbert
    Hejda-Smid
    Peckham-Foster

not great but it is better than last year. I’m hoping thelines look like this for next season:

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
    Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
    Paajarvi-Cogliano-Omark
    Jones-Konopka-Hartski

Whitney-Gilbert
    Hejda-Smid
    Peckham-Foster

Dubnyk
    Khabibulinn

11. neufab says:

Awesome Smyth is home. Goodbye Fraser, it just wasn’t going to work.

12. oilers1168 says:

hall-Horcoff-Eberle
    Smyth-RNH-Hemsky
    MPS-Gagne-Omark
    Jone-VV/Lander-Cog

Brule/ Mac

Ist nine games then decide on RNH back to junior and VV or Lander to AHL

Threw my UFA wish list together today and came up with this:

Zenon Konpka (2 year 1.6M cap hit of 800K per season)
    Scott Hannan (3 years 7.5M cap hit of 2.5M per season)
    Jan Hejda (1 year 2.5M)

14. Alan-NottsUK says:

Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
    Hall-RNH (at least for the 1st 9 games)-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
    Jones-Cogliano-Hartikainen

Whitney-Gilbert
    Smid – Petry
    Peckham-Foster

Dubnyk
    Khabibulinn

with what we have signed/rfa

obviously this will change from July 1st when free agency starts. I honestly think paajarvi and omark need a good 2way or defence 1st center.

15. NorwegianOiler says:

Matheson implies that Cam Barker is available (Wild considering a buy-out). I’d look for a way to acquire him. He had his worst year ever last season, and buying low for a player that’s still young and has solid two-way ability is good in my books. Low risk, high reward. It would allow less pressure on players like Petry and Peckham, who’ll still get ice time once everyone is injured again ;)

Pipe dream, but I’d like to have James Wisniewski here. A solid RHD that plays a physical game and brings offense and all-around game would be nice. But I’m sure he’ll go somewhere else like Detroit.

17. NorwegianOiler says:

That’d be nice. He has some anger in him without being a complete tool (like Carcillo or Avery – I figure that ‘agitators’ with their lack of discipline must be as annoying to their own team at times as they are to the opponent.)

NorwegianOiler: It will be interesting to see who is qualified and who is not by the end of today – especially bubble players like Stortini, O’Marra and Jacques. Less than a week until we let non-NHLers like MacIntyre and Strudwick go. Pleased to see Fraser included in the Smyth deal instead of Brule – simply because Fraser has been really poor for us – and it necessitates (or does it?) the acquisition of another centreman for the 4th line. Matheson implies that Cam Barker is available (Wild considering a buy-out). I’d look for a way to acquire him. He had his worst year ever last season, and buying low for a player that’s still young and has solid two-way ability is good in my books. Low risk, high reward. It would allow less pressure on players like Petry and Peckham, who’ll still get ice time once everyone is injured again Patrick Eaves is a FA, and might fit somewhere in our bottom 6. Antti Miettinen, Ben Eager, Chris Higgins or Vern Fiddler are other options. Ideally, I’d like to see us find one defenseman (#3-4), one checking winger and one checking center this summer. Short deals, 1-2 years. We have the time to experiment and find good fits – still.

Well NO I think your wish of a checking center will be filled. Winger I think they will give that role to Hartski. He looked good at the end of last season, and I think the Oilers wanna give him shot to see if he is gonna have a future here. He has size, goes to the net and can be physical. I want to see him on the PK too, I think that is a spot he would do well in.

On defense, there will be a defender signed. Like Racki I want Wiz, but there doesn’t seem like a way that he comes here. I really think a guy like Scott Hannan, who is a real solid shut-down defender and can take minutes from Gilbert, is exactly what we need.

Whitney-Hannan
    Gilbert-Smid
    Peckham-Foster

Also, buy-out period ends on Thursday, so we will know the deal with Brule (highly doubt he gets bought-out with his whole health issue thing) and Souray (who very well could get burried in the AHL again according to the 4th period on twitter)

Also, I believe today is the deadline for sending qualifying offers. I’m almost sure Peckham, Smid, Cogliano, and Chorney will get qualified, while I don’t think JFJ and Storts will get offered one. Should be interesting to see if Tambi takes out the trash with players that simply don’t fit.

Potential D targets:
    James Wisniewski – RHD… plays an all around game. Not likely to be signed here though.
    Kevin Bieksa – Unlikely, but he’s RHD and plays the brand we could use here.
    Scott Hannan – I like this suggestion, but he shoots left.. not sure how comfortable he is on RHD. I think he played LHD in Washington. Not sure if he’s ever played RHD. We really need the right side filled out since Gilbert is really our only true RHD, aside from Petry.
    Jan Hejda – a LHD, but he brings a nice all around game, although his offense is quite limited. According to Left Wing lock, he played RHD in CBJ. Not sure how much though. Good shutdown qualities. Will most likely get re-signed in CBJ.
    Craig Rivet – RHD.. very long in the tooth, but provides great veteran leadership and be a good #5/6 pairing or 7th D.
    Nick Boynton – RHD.. I remove him from my list of wanted players (I had him on our wish list for a couple years), but sounds like he has off ice issues, so no thanks.

That’s it for now. I’d suggest also going hard after Shea Weber too. We would need to consider giving up one of our forward prospects (Gagner… Omark… not Hall/Eberle/Paajarvi/RNH) and a 1st rounder, and maybe more. But I think if we get him signed here, he would be well worth it. Everything we need here. Gotta be wary of overspending though.

Possible call ups this year: Martin Marincin, Colten Teubert, Jeff Petry, Alex Plante (Marincin is the only lefty of the group).

20. Alan-NottsUK says:

what kind of issues was Boynton supposed to have? He played here in Nottingham during the lockout, awesome guy

Alan: I honestly don’t know. I just was checking his scouting report out and it mentioned on/off ice discipline issues. A quick Google search returned a link saying the Panthers sent him home for disciplinary reasons a few seasons ago. I’m not sure what it was, or if it was an isolated incident.

Here is the SR on him:
    Assets

* Has good size and plays a physical game and is reliable when he plays within his limitations. Possesses a hard, accurate point shot.

Flaws

* Has not put up the points expected of him at the NHL level. Is inconsistent in all facets of the game. Also lacks discipline, on and off the ice.

Career Potential

* Physical depth defenseman.

22. Grass&sOIL says:

Bieksa re upped by the Canucks as per Bob Mac

Not much surprise there.

5 years @ $4.6 mill per year. Pssh.. ~this guy is no Tom Gilbert.~

Racki: Not much surprise there.5 years @ $4.6 mill per year. Pssh.. ~this guy is no Tom Gilbert.~

I’m hoping Gilbert gets packaged for a real D man.

25. Alan-NottsUK says:

with that signing the canucks have $43.5million commited to 10 players next year.

and they will need to sign Schneider, Raymond & Samuelsson. and they still have Ehrhoff to sign this year too.

Hopefully there will be some cap hell coming up in Vancouver. and they have 7 NTC on the books too :D

Ouch.. good digging, Alan (I’m assuming your numbers are right… and by next year you mean the season after this one coming.. i.e. 2012-13). That is an AWFUL situation to be in. $11M left over for 13 players?? (to make a 23 man roster). Wow.

Did they higher Sutter as a consultant?

Edit: Oops.. me fail math.. Just over $20M left over

Flyers didnt qualify Carcillo. If we had a solid pk unit to kill off his dumb penalties and he didn’t have the reckless attitudege does, he might be good consideration. hockey fans are still salivating at the idea of him being signed by their fave clubs though

28. Alan-NottsUK says:

Racki:

Did they higher Sutter as a consultant?

Edit: Oops.. me fail math.. Just over $20M left over

I can’t see Ehrhoff getting less than Bieksa either (he should get more imo), so he will be at least another 4.6 long term for them. so that will be at least $48.1 commited to 11 players, around 16million cap space for another 12 players, with the 3 I mentioned earlier needing to be paid more too.

Schneider could be getting the same kinda deal as Reimer so around $1.8million.

and Samuelsson and Raymond will both be getting raises on their $2.5million

so there is another $7million

$9million for 9 players not a good place to be, even if the cap goes up the same as this year $14million for 9 players is still not good.

And even if they resort to burying salary it will put off free agents.

edit: and their prospect pool doesn’t look too great either

Racki, I read on Twitter hat the Oilers are gonna take a good look at Wiz on Friday. I know you and I are both in favor of this, but do you really think the Oilers would be able to add him? Man, sign him and a 4th line center and Tambi would have fixed some holes on this roster. Get it done BRING JAMES TO OIL COUNTRY!

30. Grass&sOIL says:

Not too sure who I would target on D yet but Brooks Laich is my center target.
    -2-way center
    -Big and physical
    -kills penalty’s
    -not much history of injury’s

He is like Peca in many ways!

Bostonoiler:

I can’t help but think Detroit when I think where Wizzer will end up. I sure as heck hope he winds up here though perhaps on a 2-year deal (tops). RHD.. physical, a bit of a pest, pretty good offensively… yes please. This would be a good add for us.

Grass&sOIL:
    Not too sure who I would target on D yet but Brooks Laich is my center target.
    -2-way center
    -Big and physical
    -kills penalty’s
    -not much history of injury’s

He is like Peca in many ways!

Yah I’m definitely sold on Laich too. He would be a good addition.

Grass&sOIL:
    Not too sure who I would target on D yet but Brooks Laich is my center target.
    -2-way center
    -Big and physical
    -kills penalty’s
    -not much history of injury’s

He is like Peca in many ways!

I really Laich this suggestion.

Wizzer too…

I dont mind the idea of trying to nab Tim Connolly either…I read on Twitter Tambi has stated he is intending on adding some players to make the team competetive next year….How about Tim Connolly on a two year deal as a stop gap until RNH and our other young C’s have some time to develop…

Hall Connolly Hemsky
    Smyth Gagner Eberle
    PRV Horcoff Omark
    Jones Konopka Hartikainen

Wisniewski Whitney
    Gilbert Hejda
    Smid Peckham

Was just looking at our depth chart and man am I excited about some of the “forgotten” kids coming up that could really contribute to our future immensely if they keep tracking the way the have been. In addition to the guys that get a bit more attention like Hartikainen, Marancin, Lander and the higher picks we just took on friday, I think we sometimes forget about players like Pitlick, Hamilton and Martindale…

Yah, there are a few names that definitely do get overlooked. I think most are a couple/few years away though, which might be why people don’t mention them. Myself, I typically forget about Hamilton and Martindale though.

34. Grass&sOIL says:

35. John says:

Grass&sOIL: The problem is that Brooks is considered to be one of the top guns of this FA year by many. With a $5M rise in the Cap things could get scary in what teams are offering him and the others. Laich is gonna got big, long term deal( at least 5 years) . He is 28, in his prime of his career. This is when most players in his position look for long term stable deals. Can we offer him this? At what Cost?

I think what Tambi would have to do is approach Laich with a reasonable offer & leave it at that; no bidding wars or desparate contract just in hopes of swooning him here. Just phone the guy up & say “Hey, we would love to have you be part of an exciting new thing happening in Edmonton; this is what we can offer you ______, give me a call later if you are interested, bye”. Then if he is interested you try to do a deal & if not, at least there are no smarmy media stories floating around about the “desperate Oilers chasing Free Agents like puppy dogs” like the Heatly shit.

Caps just re-signed him to a 6 year, 27 mil contract

38. NorwegianOiler says:

Agree Racki. Laich at that price has underachiever written all over it. Especially in Edmonton.

39. Alan-NottsUK says:

when is the CBA up for review?

If it’s soon then i guess long term contracts could be a bad idea, especially with some teams struggling to hit the cap floor this year, the cap may not rise as much as it has been doing

Alan: I believe it’s set to expire before the start of the 2012-13 season.

Racki: That’s a pretty heavy contract. Ryan Rishaug said he believed the Oilers were going to pitch him a big offer too. I have to say that as good as Laich can be, that’s a tough contract for a guy to live up to. Time will tell there though, as he is a very well rounded player. Rishaug says the Oilers are after Fiddler, Belanger, and maybe Cody McCormick (whom, I must admit, I have never heard of, I don’t think) or Zenon Konopka.Don’t get me wrong, btw, I think Laich would have been a great player to have here. However, if that’s the asking price, I think I’d rather just go for a bargain player / stop-gap for now until we’re really ready to compete.

Glad to hear from a guy we can trust in Ryan Rishaug that the Oilers are after a good grinder like Fiddler, Konopka, etc. I’m just owrried that Tambi is gonna drop the ball and not fix the blue-line AT ALL. I’m not asking for a total change back there, just a new name that can be effective.

42. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

I actually anticipated that Laich would get a 5 year-$27.5M contract when he hit the free market So I was just a year and $500 000 off. Laich doesn’t really produce top end offensive stats or anything but is very consistent. He has scored over 20 goal every year he has been in the NHL except last season when the Caps went defense first. I think it was only a slight overpay.

So where do we go on center now? Morrison? Arnott? or do we concentrate on D now?

43. NorwegianOiler says:

Cam Barker on waivers according to Bobby Mac. I’d be happy if we picked him up.

Barker is the right age (25) and fits a need. I wish he played the right side though. But he might be comfortable there. Would be good to have him with Whitney. Solid all-around defenseman for free. Would be a good idea. He’s on the last year of his contract, then RFA.. so not a lot of risk here at all in giving him a shot. At bare minimum, he HAS to be an upgrade on Foster.

Pick him up, put Foster on waivers.

45. dawgtoy says:

Rumor that surounds Barker is he has a problem with the bottle. That being said, Edmonton has had many reclamation projects over the years, some have turned out, some have not. Little to gamble given he has one year left on his contract. I’d give him a try.

dawgtoy:

At the very least, Khabi will have someone to go to rehab with.

47. dawgtoy says:

Exactly Racki!

-admitting that one cannot control one’s addiction or compulsion;
    -recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
    -examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
    -making amends for these errors;
    -learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
    -helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.

That contract for Laich sounds Horcoffien. Laich is good, but that’s gonna be a tough contract to live up to as some already suggested.

Too bad about Barker. I thought he was fantastic when he was still in Chi-Town. I hope he gets it turned around. I never like hearing about people who have problems with addictions and mental health. Very sad.

49. dawgtoy says:

Agreed Chucker on Laich, that contract is too high and likely too long. Horcoffien….well done :)

Jagr offered a one year deal by Pens according to TSN. Might explain the Kennedy non-qualification.