Rome head shot on Horton

By , June 6, 2011 8:11 pm

Rule 48? I sure as hell think so. Horton looked like he was in a world of hurt too. Not good at all, and I think this is suspension worthy. What do you guys think?

Should Aaron Rome be suspended for his hit on Nathan Horton in game 3 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

59 Responses to “Rome head shot on Horton”

1. Grass&sOIL says:

God I wish this game was on NBC. I can’t stand this CBC homerism. Such a cheap shot and C.Simpson says not rule 48 and a tad late. CS I friggen hate you. Bad coach, even worse announcer. Just do everyone a favor and get as far away from the game as possible.

Horton did not look good and thats a huge loss for the B’s. Time to go after the Nucks starts.

I think it’s a late hit.. voted 1-2 games..although I could easily see it being more (and well, if it wasn’t the playoffs, I’d have voted 3+….. I kinda think it should be 3+ anyways though). Brutal. Late hit.. head shot.. blindside. Whether you love this stuff or not (I gotta admit, I love big hits), you still hate to see a guy get hurt like that. And well, rules are rules.. they created rule 48 for a reason… enforce it.

3. Grass&sOIL says:

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Craig Simpson makes me wanna puke.

Good player, Bad Coach and a Terrible announcer.

I just wish he would do everyone a favor and get as far away from the game as possible.

5. oilinblood says:

Watched the hit quite a few times, leaves his feet to impact, is targeting head. Its not a blind side hit for me though and some of the damage could be from impact with ice. Targeting of head and leaving feet i would say is 2 games. These are the finals. You might make it 3 but 2 is the easy call and I doubt Romes absence would hurt anyone but an AHL team.

OK saw the second angle. done for the post season and Fine coach and team. Suspend for the rest of season as far as im concerned. colin will probably say 3 games though.

Punishment fitting crime will be take a plug of your own and give him a 50K bonus per Sedin.

6. oilinblood says:

Grass&sOIL: I think that it was one of the most cowardly and carefully planed attacks I have seen. Any time a teams worst player take out one of the other teams best players with a dirty hit eyebrows should be raised. It was a very good trade off for Van and they knew that with the B’s being in the situation that they are in that their was probably little the Bruins could/can do about it on ice. Rome should be booted for the rest of the playoffs, the penalty should be re-evaluated in the off season and AV/Canucks organization should be heavily fined. Jason Gregor brought up a good idea. He said that Sequin who was scratch from today’s game should be allowed to enter the game. I agree and maybe the B’s should be able to select an impact player on the Nucks to leave the game as well or instead of of adding Sequin.Edit: Horton is one of my fav players and I am still quiet emotional(though the Scoreboard is making me feel better) so maybe I am being a lil hardcore about this???

I feel the same as you on alot of your points. I think Horton is a GREAT player and I have been pulling for him. I think Rack and John and likely Chucker can remember how much ive liked this guy and for how long.
    Rome on the other hand is a hack and everyone knows it.
    It will be interesting to see how Shanny begins to handle these situations where a plug knocks out a REAL player with REAL impact and skill. If Shannys old statements on incidents like these are of use… Suspensions based on player value WILL BE THE NEW WAY. THus if Shanny is true to his old thoughts id see guys like rome having to hang up their blades for a month or two. GUys like ROme have no real use in the NHL except to plug holes and if they cross the line their NHL careers and paychecks SHOULD be forfeit.No one goes to see a POS like ROme.

As for now? I think the Sedins will definently be targets in the later parts of game 4. There are a couple of players i feel the B’s can afford to lose to suspension…especially if they end Sedin careers. Has a NUck fan been shanked at the game yet? I suspect its a matter of time.

I will actually say that i love a 30 team league. The only problem i have with it is that you have the talent to supply 30 HEALTHY teams but when injuries happen there are guys that are not NHL worthy that then get minutes. In a 26 team league there would be no ROme.

Holy flood gates.. 6-1 now

Canucks cycling in their own zone because they’re scared of it becoming 9-1…

10. Grass&sOIL says:

New nickname for Luo?????????

Reberto InLUOofGOODgoaltending!

LOL!!! Nice

I’ll just post what I posted on another board – because I’m lazy and tired:

First off and the main thing, hope Horton will be ok – I thought he was going to start convulsing there. Scary – that unfocused, shaky look on his face right after the hit as he was flat on his back.

Years ago I think this would have been applauded as a solid open ice hit. Now, not so much. Rome will be suspended. It was late and will be viewed as a blindside targetting the head. In Rome’s favour, the elbow was down and I thought when I slowed it down his feet stayed on the ice at the moment of impact, but that probably won’t matter.

I find though, the rules confuse me at times with the blindside and head shot.

Initially I thought it was shoulder to shoulder, but having slowed it down Rome’s shoulder was above Horton’s, yet Horton was in the process of going down into a bit of a crouch so it looked like the head was targeted. I’d like to see it from the other angle because I’m not sure the head was contacted. Yet, you don’t need contact to be targeted. Yet are you targeting when the guy is starting to go down in a crouch, or as some say, with his head down?

People say blindside but if Horton hadn’t been looking at his pass it wouldn’t have been blindside. Does that still make it blindside when you come straight at a player for an open ice hit?

I’m not trying to mitigate the hit but I find these 2 concepts are even more confusing now that the new rules are in place. Unfortunately Horton’s head hit the ice and that was scary. There were a lot of questionable hits since in this game. Safe to say the hate for each other is completely on now.

This is a pretty childish series with the fingers business – on both sides. Play hockey.

14. oilinblood says:

Racki: As far as the “fingers business”… I had a good laugh at that. But I have some sympathy for Claude Julien who basically had his most veteran player (Recchi) and one of his best players (Lucic) make him look like an idiot. Julien of course said after the Lapierre incident that his players would never do that.. and well, there ya have it.. they did. Recchi of all people should have known to take the hide road. That said though, I found it hilarious, and I don’t mind it at all.. but it just makes Julien look bad.Also, I agree that the rules are horrible. But those rules were that way when enforced under Colin Campbell. Let’s see what Shanny has to say on these matters. I’m hoping that his penalties are more firm and understandable.I think Horton should know better to admire a pass, but the blame does rest on Rome as well too. Unfortunately I don’t really foresee these hits going away ever. They’ll happen from time to time. Like “Grass&Oil” has always preached, as well as Cherry, they have to re-visit player equipment to help lessen the damage.

15. oilinblood says:

Racki: OIB: Wow, what’s your definition of blindside? Horton’s head wasn’t even close to looking at Rome. But we definitely agree that it’s a suspension and that Rome isn’t a big loss for the Canucks. Especially compared to Horton for the B’s.

Like i said earlier though. take a plug – or 2- of your own (B’s) and let them loose in the last 3 minutes or so of game 4. Bonuses of 50k available for each long term injury delivered to Burrows, Sedins, Kesler, and their widdled down defence.

This is why i wanted to trade Vandermeer and Mac and Penner to BOS. I even said it would be to boost the Bs for this exact final matchup. If you had a nuclear weapon like Mac, he is dressed for game 4.

16. Grass&sOIL says:

oilinblood: He admired his pass. Rome was in front of him. Horton is approaching the blue line… the D man is infront of him. I would say admiring a pass does not make this hit a blind side hit. It was late, it targetted the head, it was a jump into face. It was bad,, no mistake…but if he isnt admiring his pass and treating hockey as a banquet…

Admiring a pass is not smart but by no means is it a justification in intending to injure a player. He must have been admiring that pass for quite some time I might offer.

oilinblood: I cant help but wonder how much of the issue is his head hitting the ice though, same with the Booth and Cooke/Savard hits. They were all dirty hits but how much of the final damage is from the impact of head to ice?

Honestly.. for sure there was some damage done by the ice, but really that’s focusing on the wrong stuff here, if you ask me.

This is just my opinion here… but….

Was the hit late? I’d say so.
    Was it a head shot? I would say so.
    Was it a blind side? I would say so.

Lot’s of reasons to call it dirty.

I’m a little bit of a bleeding heart these days, I guess… but I think these are the hits the NHL is trying to get rid of and they’re doing a horrible job. I don’t think they really ever can get rid of them though, in all fairness. But anyways, I’m a fan of huge hits.. I don’t want the game to turn to nerf-hockey, but at the same time, I respect that Bettman wants to protect the players. Soooo… the ball is in Shanny’s court here. With any luck, he can start protecting the game’s assets.

Text book of what they preach. Here’s what will happen; Campbell will once again recuse himself as his son is a Bruin. Mike Murphy steps in and completely blows it……again and gives him one game when we all know it should be at least 3-4 and time next season too. Remember these are the same idiots who did not suspend Torres for concussing Seabrook. One game unfortunately.

19. oilinblood says:

something i thought was funny… in the poll i thought “3 games but it wont be more than two” as if your poll read my mind when i chose to register my vote for 3 games it said it was an invalid choice. looks like 2 games is what it will be.

20. oilinblood says:

One last thought. B’s fans are pretty serious people. if i was rome id hire a body guard. lots of gun toters and shanks in Boston. Im sure his face will be on every news station accross the city. Wont be hard to pick him out in a crowd. Is there a way i can take out a life insurance policy on him?

OK the Recchi thing was a JOKE. It was a funny thing. I laughed my ass off at it. Recchi was just being Recchi…it was funny not serious.

I laughed too at the finger stuff, but I bet you the league takes that more seriously than the hit. Wouldn’t surprise me. They won’t suspend/fine for it, but they’ll probably send a stronger message about that then they will the hit.

22. Grass&sOIL says:

The Bruins put up 8 on the 25th annaversary of the trade that landed them their Great #8 who was also celebrating his Birthday today!!! (courtesy of Panger) I love quirky facts like that!

23. Grass&sOIL says:

DP

24. hemmerlady says:

Only had a quick look at the hit. I think it will have the Seabrook Effect on the Bs – the outcome of the game sure made it look that way. Which I’m cool with.

25. hemmerlady says:

Ok, didn’t see there was an entire thread up about this already.

Watched the it again and I thought it was a rotten hit. Scary, Horton looked like he was having trouble breathing. I don’t like hits of this nature. I can already hear echoes of Canucks fans complaining that it was a bogus call to throw Rome out of the game (they do that a lot here). It was the right call and he should be suspended. I think it will serve to galvanize the Bruins – maybe they’ll string a few good games together here.

What’s worse, Rome just took out one of the players from my pool, jackass. That’s it, Canucks are going down. I’m throwing down the gauntlet.

26. Trogdor says:

I’ll have to check out the angles again, but nothing in my initial impressions made me think he was admiring his pass. It was all of one second and he was following the puck then made a move to drive down the middle to tip or to draw defenders or whatever the thought process was. Either way I didn’t like the hit at all.

Agreed Trogdor. That was a bush league headshot.

Per Bob McKenzie’s twatter: “Disciplinary hearing Tuesday morning for VAN’s Aaron Rome.”

Glad to hear that they’ll get this over with quickly.

The hearing is at “11 AM” per Nick Kypreos. I guess it’s a choose-your-own-timezone thing. Eastern?

Btw, how about the hit by Tim Thomas on Henrik Sedin? That was a beauty. Even better than Hextall on Chelios, as this one was just a clean hit and legit play in the middle of the game. Bet Henrik didn’t even see that coming at all. He even recorded a hit on the play!

30. oilinblood says:

In one word…glorious

But after laughing i feared Boychuk might have torn the leg that had been under and behind Henrietta/

I really really really hope this didn’t get the bruins totally back in it. Game four will be such a key game, Vancouver better pull through with it.

My 2 cents.

It can’t be a blindside hit just because your head is turned around…Rome came from in front of Horton and hit him in a north/south manner (from what I recall). Blindside is like Cooke/Richards coming from the side.

That said it was disgustingly late, and it looked like he jumped into it so it is a dirty hit. I said 1/2 games in the poll.

Thomas hit was a beauty.

I liked the finger stuff, but the CBC homers sure didn’t. The league can’t suspend them for it though because they didn’t suspend the actual bite and Lapierre’s taunt.

Hope the canucks try to fight it out in the trenches the rest of the series, that works out in the bruins favor.

Bostonoiler:

You are no longer welcome on this website, Boston Oiler…. :P (kidding of course) GO BRUINS!!!!!

35. oilinblood says:

Racki: Ya I thought about it after and I think by the letter it’s not blindside (so sorry oib), but I think nhl criteria on thatis pathetic at best. This gets at least 2 or the league continues to not be taken seriously with their stance on concussion prevention

As for horton, when you look at the angle from the bruins zone, right down the ice, you see Horton acknowledges Romes position and then passes while gliding, he then finishes some gliding (this ends the window of being hit legally in my opinion), he then accelerates while watching the wing for 2 full strides before rome jumps into his face.

As Cherry said. no one expects a hit THAT late.

This IS an interesting hit though because Horton actually changes his line and drives diagonally (watch from over head angle). He actually starts a partial East/West move as he tries to get more centred, while still watching his winger. Rome actually backs up when Hort is passing and then accelerates forward to time his connection. He jumps into the hit (when i say jump into a hit it also includes lowering body so you stand up thru the hit—like how you power thru a professionally trained punch to knock someone out–ive ALWAYS felt that the league should include this in their assessment. lowering ones body to then extend in impact is something people do in hockey hits when they are premeditating IMHO and should be held as proof of intent to injure). TArgetted head, as its clear from every angle. IN fact Horton moved his head slightly before getting the hit which might have saved him worse damage but also may have caused some minor whiplash – minor in light of other injury factors. If he doesnt move his head slightly before impact he very easily could have had his neck broken at that angle.

Eventually someone will die in a hockey game. Or some fan will take care of a player out on the street after a game. It will happen at some point.

As for any chance of me cheering for the nucks or even clapping if they win. ZERO chance. Worst bunch of divers, whiners, embellishing, no self-respect pissants.
    Seriously they are an example to me kids of how to NEVER be as an athlete/hockey player/person.

36. Grass&sOIL says:

4 Games is somewhat fair(based on the NHL’s past record) but this premeditated attack resulted in what is being called a severe concussion. Still seems unjust to me, Horton’s career may be in jeopardy here.

And this blatant disregard for his actions makes me think the suspension should have been more:

Mike Murphy at podium: Rome felt it was a hockey play that went bad.

I’m OK with the decision. I know it sounds wrong, but I think it kind of was a hockey play gone wrong. The hit was bad, but it’s a game of inches sometimes. I have to think that most guys in the league make that hit too. I think the damage was severe. Some of the fault lies in something that I too have been arguing (although credit to Don Cherry for first bringing it up, and credit to G&S for first bringing it up here) that player equipment size needs to be revisited.

Horton gets hurt no matter what pads Rome had on, but the extend of the damage probably would have been a lot less if the padding had some give to it.

I think 4 games sends a clear message. And I hate to use this as an argument, but I think it’s pretty valid… 4 Stanley Cup Final games is like 20-30 regular games. It’s a huge loss.

Of course, on the flip side, Horton is gone for the playoffs too, and his career is in jeopardy. I don’t really think that was Rome’s intent though. It’s hard to know intent though, and I can’t believe I’m defending a Canuck, but I think the league needs to look at things from a different angle. This shit is still happening. Is it because of the lack of think-time available to a player before making a hit? Does he have enough time to say in his mind – “I’m going to kill this guy.. I better stop”? From my experience, I generally didn’t think about the consequences. My thought process generally WAS “I’m going to kill this guy” at the moment, but I didn’t think about the fact I might be ending someone’s career, severely injuring them, etc. etc. I think the other angle they need to look at it from is the equipment thing.

Anyways, that’s my take on it. You have to lay down the law when this stuff happens, but I don’t think guys always are completing understanding the severity of their actions when they make the huge hits. I am a little surprised to read myself type that, as I’ve grown a bit more soft over the years. But I think these things are tough cause guys have to protect themselves, guys have to finish their checks, the game requires some very quick thinking, and so and so on. So you can only come down on a player so much. Time to figure out other ways to protect players. Time to break out the football helmets yet? :P

Oddly, in writing this, I think I now understand the NHL’s deeming of blind side a bit more. I think Horton stood a much better chance though if he could see Rome coming.. even if he couldn’t get out of the way.

38. Grass&sOIL says:

I gotta disagree with it being a hockey play gone wrong. The puck was already well on the stick of the Bruin player on the receiving end of Horton’s pass well before contact was made. For rule 48 maybe they should change the language from blindside to blindside/unsuspecting.

I think the intent was there. This was one teams worst player taking out one of the other teams best and the Canucks have showed throughout the playoffs that they will do whatever it takes to gain an advantage and play outside of the rules. If this was not some plug and not a player on the Canucks I might give them the benefit of the doubt that it was not a premeditated attack. The Canucks have not earned this respect in my books.

Yes, I agree that the wording on rule 48 should be changed to include the “unsuspecting” hit. I originally wrote that it should be re-worded, but couldn’t figure out how to word it. That explains it well.

I do think that the pace of the game is too quick at times to understand the full extent of damage. Like I said… my mind when hitting a guy was always “I’ve got to kill him” at the time, almost every time. So I think most players in the league make that hit. But I don’t think most players in the league would sit here and absorb all the consequences, and think about Horton lying on the ice staring up at the roof looking out of it and still make the hit. I think most would go back in the DeLorean and take the hit back if they made it. I could be wrong though, and I definitely understand your argument too and don’t think your line of thinking is wrong at all.

But I think for sure Rule 48 should be modified for “unsuspecting” hits as well. And I adamantly suggest they re-visit the gear too.

Really, where I agree with you most is I think the “unsuspecting” part of the hit is what did the most damage though. But it’s more the failure of the league to get it right in writing that makes me say that this is the right punishment. Ideally, it should be more, but the “letter of the law” says 4 games is about right, to me.

BTW, Mr. sneaky editor :P I noticed your original post on this, which just goes to prove how much thought we have to put in this to fully grasp the consequences and everything.. which goes into what I am saying about a player not really having enough time in that 1.5 seconds to grasp that Horton is going to be lying motionless and possibly played one of his last games at full ability.

I wonder how/if Hockey Canada’s rule changes might factor into what we will see in potential NHL rules.

41. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

BTW, Mr. sneaky editor I noticed your original post on this, which just goes to prove how much thought we have to put in this to fully grasp the consequences and everything.. which goes into what I am saying about a player not really having enough time in that 1.5 seconds to grasp that Horton is going to be lying motionless and possibly played one of his last games at full ability.

Yes my first reaction was that 4 games was fair. Then I went back to read more at TSN.ca and read about Horton’s concussion being very Severe. I am wondering if he will ever come back and be the same player he was before this indecent now? I knew it did not look good but It is looking even worse for him now.

Blake, Shannahan and Brodeur are supposed to be dealing with this over the summer. They are tasked with creating a clear criteria of what is an illegal hit and what the suspensions should be. Not soon enough, but these guys are good. We will have some better guidelines next year. It was on TSN a couple of weeks ago.

43. Grass&sOIL says:

chucker:
    Blake, Shannahan and Brodeur are supposed to be dealing with this over the summer.They are tasked with creating a clear criteria of what is an illegal hit and what the suspensions should be. Not soon enough, but these guys are good.We will have some better guidelines next year.It was on TSN a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah the gear is ridiculous for sure.

Grass&sOIL: They really need to look at the gear. It would allow for the more physical game we all enjoy to not be at risk.

They already have changed the gear a bunch…you can’t find hard-shelled elbow pads or shoulder pads anymore and really thats what was doing some damage.

But you have two 200+ lbs guys running into each other at high speeds (I think the NHL averages 30 km/h)…no amount of padding will make that completely safe.

I agree, take away the “unsuspecting” hits, but we also have to keep the onus on the players to a certain extent to keep their heads up. Would it have been as bad if Horton looked up and saw Rome coming?

The worst thing to me was how late it was and it looked as if he jumped into it…but even if he didn’t Horton would have been on his back.

Which makes the 4 games fair to me. Also that said, its only 4 games because Rome is a plug. If it was say Richards or other “star” player that hit him it would only be 2 games max.

Yes, need to ditch the star treatment.

47. Grass&sOIL says:

Excellent article in SI about the bad behavior in the NHL these days.

I could count at least 25 incidents in these playoff by the Canucks(other teams too but not to the degree that the Canucks have) that have lead to more or the potential for more violence in the games.

Glad to hear Horton is out of the hospital at least, hopefully he has a full recovery, that’s the main thing.

So – I think the main consensus is the NHL got this right, but it boggles my mind how they can be so inconsistent. Look at the Chara hit on Pacioretty. I used to think the conspiracy theories were bs, but I’m changing my mind.

Mike Murphy on the Rome hit on Horton – http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368125

“Two factors were considered in reaching this decision,” said NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy in a statement. “The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury.”

“This has nothing to do with the stage, it’s the play,” Murphy added. “We looked at the injury and talked to Boston’s medical people and it doesn’t look good for Nathan to play in this series. This is not about what’s happened in the past. This is my standard.”

Mike Murphy on the Chara hit on Pacioretty 3 months ago – http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357209

“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly — with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards,” continued Murphy. “I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

“This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career.”

So – both offending players received 5 minutes for interference because the hits were late/injured players didn’t have the puck. Rome was suspended for that reason and because of the severity of the injury. Chara was not suspended for that reason (his interference penalty deemed sufficient) and because he had no history. Both Horton and Pacioretty suffered severe concussions, Pacioretty also suffers a fractured vertebrae and both are taken off the ice on stretchers, but there was no consideration for a suspension because of Pacioretty’s injury, like was made for Horton’s injury.

Murphy says the decision is not about what has happened in the past, that it’s his standard. I take that to mean he was not influenced by any of Campbell’s past decisions. So Murphy has changed his own standard? He handed down the decisions in both of these cases.

The transcript of Murphy’s explanation of the ruling is here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mike-murphys-qa-on-the-suspension/article2050487/page1/

He admits the severity of the suspension was increased because it is the playoffs. The seriousness of the injury was a determining factor, but seemingly not in the regular season. He states they tried to compare it with past hits but it stands alone. He wanted to make the right decision without considering any previous precedents. In the end, not all in the discipline group agreed but it was his final decision.

A severely injured player is a severely injured player. The pain doesn’t hurt any less. The impact on that player and his family isn’t mitigated.

How can they not consider an injury for discipline during the regular season, but discipline because of an injury during the playoffs?

49. Grass&sOIL says:

Yes but the Chara hit was not to a blindside/unsuspecting hit. That one was more a result of the design of the rink. In my opinion you cannot even compare the two.

50. Grass&sOIL says:

I don’t even think a interference penalty was justified there.