Oilers sign two Finnish players

By , June 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Per Oilers.nhl.com: “General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with free agent forwards Lennart Petrell and Antti Tyrvainen on entry-level contracts, one-year and two-years respectively.”

Lennart Petrell is a 6’3, 209 lb left winger. Elite Prospects has this analysis of him: “A large winger with a lot of power and strength. Plays with high energy and intensity. Effective on the forecheck and always finishes his checks. Good hands and hockey sense. (Matias Strozyk)”

Per the Oilers.nhl.com website: “Petrell, 27, just completed his seventh season with HIFK Helsinki of the Finnish Elite League, scoring 35 points (13G, 22A) in 56 games.” These points totals put him in 30th in scoring in SM-liiga last year, by the way. As well, HIFK Helsinki was the 2011 champion of Finnish hockey.

Antti Tyrvainen is a 5’11”, 198 lb right winger. Elite prospects has this analysis of him: “A winger with a rough style. Plays with a lot of energy and is a fast skater. A decent shot. Goes aggrissively for rebounds. Sometimes goes too far and takes unnecessary penalties. (Matias Strozyk)”

Per the Oilers.nhl.com website: “Tyrvainen, 22, just completed his third year with the Lahti Pelicans of the Finnish Elite League, recording 23 points (14G, 9A) in 52 games.”

13 Responses to “Oilers sign two Finnish players”

Hmm, Interesting.. still doing some digging, but sounds like a couple of interesting signings. Are the Oilers taking the Detroit Red Wings approach and putting a lot of focus on European scouting?

Elite Prospects already has Oklahoma City Barons showing on their 2011/12 stat line. :P

2. Grass&sOIL says:

I like these signings a lot.

From what I am reading Lennart Petrell will challenge for a 4th line spot and is listed as a left wing but also is very versatile and has played a lot of center.

Tyrvainen’s 186 penalty minutes lead the league, Jere Karalahti was second with 147PIMs. He is said to be of the agitator type. Something I would say we need here in the forward ranks(Peckham is decent at this on the back end). He will need to spend a fair bit of time in OKC but could eventually make his way onto the big club. I think he is only 22 so time is not really an issue with him right now.

Good depth signings with no risk, have always loved Finnish players!!!

Yah I like them too, even if they were to both spend a lot of time in OKC. I hope we get to see Petrell in an Oilers uni next year too. Sounds like he would be a good addition to line 4, as you noted. I wonder what his defensive game is like though.. haven’t heard anything on that.

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

Copper and Blue said Petrell had the worst regular season +/- on his team among players with at least thirty games played but he was even.

+/- is a nearly useless stat, imho. But having the worst on the team is generally a tough thing to spin in a positive manner.

6. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

Yes because from what I am gathering he seems like the type that would be put on the ice against the toughest competition.

Espeacially true about the +/- thing when it’s coming from a league that we know very little on and what circumstances this player was exposed to(quality of comp, teams goaltending and so on….)

Yah, that’s the thing. +/- on it’s own is a tough stat to judge. Was he out against top competition very frequently? Was he put in a large number of defensive zone starts? Was he playing with poor linemates? Did he not get a lot of offensive opportunity? There are a few other variables to +/- too that make me not trust it at all. Generally speaking though, if his +/- was low in the negatives on a team that has a fairly positive +/- though, I’d be worried.

I like this, because it brings some more depth to the organization. Liam Reddox and Brad Moran go, these guys come in. No risk to these signings, and it gives OKC possibly two more players. I like what I have seen on Petrell, he seems to have some size to him, and plays center and wing. I would like to see his F/O ability, but it looks like he likes to hit, gives a great effort, and has nice hands. Maybe we see him on the fourth line this season?

Who knows what these guys will actually do, but it looks like we just added some needed famr depth.

Imagine how good our farm team could be if we didn’t have 320,000 injuries per year.

Was hoping for Fasth.

Chucker: Hopefully Fasth is next.

Here is a quick video on Petrell which show some of his good sides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-B4UKuQTY

12. dawgtoy says: