Oiler First Round Picks

By , June 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Here are some scouting reports for the Oilers first round picks:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Overall:

Elite Hockey Prospects: A center with very good skating and speed, and excellent acceleration. An accurate shooter with good hands. Furthermore, a skilled playmaker with exceptional hockey sense. Could gain some strength. (Matias Strozyk)

Strengths:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: “high end skills, including amazing vision and agility.”
Bruins 2011 Draft Watch: Soft touch on the puck for on-target passes. Can thread the needle through a maze of skates and sticks to hit the open man. Lightning release with a bullet shot that is accurate. Will pick corners at will

Weaknesses:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: Needs to add some muscle to compete with NHL defencemen in tight quarters.
Bruins 2011 Draft Watch: Production tilted more on the power play than while on 5-on-5- will be interesting to see if it is an ongoing trend with him

Prediction:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: first-line center who draws comparisons to Pavel Datsyuk in terms of style.
Bruins 2011 Draft Watch: Top-line center who could turn Taylor Hall into a 50-goal scorer in a few years.

Oskar Klefbom

Overall:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: Captained Sweden to a silver medal at the U-18 championships
Elite Hockey Prospects: A big and strong defenseman with very impressive leadership qualities and character. Klefbom plays a good two-way game and is fairly good defensively, while probably being capable to chip in more offensively than he has in the past. Reads the play very well and has good enough positioning. Very good skater with a fine passing game. (EP 2011)

Strengths:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: Good size and strength, reads the play well and will jump into the rush, good vision and passing skills, good compete level, likes to play physically
Bruins 2011 Draft Watch: Excellent size and athleticism; will play at 215-220 pounds when he reaches his physical maturity. Very good skater with quick burst, speed and smooth lateral movement and footwork. Powerful leg drive; has a long stride and is strong on his skates. Aggressive, dynamic puck rusher loves to take the puck up ice. Heavy booming slap shot with good release.

Weaknesses:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: needs to work on quickness and lower body strength
Bruins 2011 Draft Watch: Hockey sense may not be good enough for him to reach the production levels his pure talent would allow for

Prediction:

TSN Scout Grant McCagg: May develop into a top three NHL defenceman who takes care of his own end
Bruins 2011 Draft Watch: Top-two defenseman with good two-way potential if he continues to play aggressively and shoot the puck like he has.

19 Responses to “Oiler First Round Picks”

I’m still skeptical of RNH but that may be partly do to my impatience. I liked the character of Landeskog probably the best in this draft and I could see him playing with Hall or Eberle.

However the skill ceiling for RNH sounds like something Stu couldn’t pass up. It’s going to take some time and probably another year in the dub for him to reach that NHL readiness. Anyone can add weight fast but for the lean mass, and explosiveness in his game he’s going to have to life heavy, very heavy, eat like a horse and sleep like a baby (at LEAST 8hrs).

2. dawgtoy says:

On Klefbom
    “One of the best skaters in this year’s draft with great wheels, powerful stride, lateral mobility and quick feet. Very smooth pivots. Excellent backwards skater. Fast and strong enough to carry the puck out of the zone under heavy pressure. Can go end-to-end. Makes fabulous long, lead stretch passes to spring forwards on breakaways and shows touch on short area passes. …Needs to work on positional play and gets lost in coverage at times.”- Red Line Report; May, 2011

Yeah, Dawgtoy; I too was very much in the line of thinking that Klefbom was a real gem. Same with Musil. I’ve also seen Simpson play a lot with the Saints. I would say he is more of a project though. He is not a tough player, but big and smooth skater. I would compare him to Greg or Brewer. A steady D man who clears the zone and makes the first pass, but not a hitter.

He needs to work on his speed and hitting, but good overall skills. North Dakota will do him good.

Greg as in Randy Gregg?

Anyways, I’m pretty happy about our draft choices this year. Some long shots, but I think they came away with some talent that could pan out to be pretty good. I like that we managed to get Klefbom. I thought he was ranked a lot higher. ISS had him at 10 on their list. CSS had him as the 6th best European skater. I think he might be a bit of a sleeper, being picked at 19. He’s a big kid too (6’4″ 200lbs).

Here is EliteProspects.com’s write up on him (I find they have good reports on the Euros):

Racki: BTW, I know some were disappointed we picked RNH, but I think the sky is too high with him to have passed him up. Landeskog is a great safe bet, given his already-NHL-size, but he doesn’t appear to have the potential that RNH does… no one does, according to the scouts. He was the nearly unanimous #1 pick, and it must be for a reason. Yah the 5-on-5 probs and size are valid concerns though. I am hoping that he will eventually put on some muscle. I’m skeptical, but you never know. Time for Simon Bennett to do some work with this kid.I think I probably still would have been happier with Couturier, but I’ll keep an open mind with RNH. Not at all disappointed, because I think Stu knows his stuff. As I’ve said all along, in “Stu I trust”.I just hope they are patient with him. If he’s ready, he’s ready, but he could be OK to play more in the WHL another year, and maybe work on his size while down there.

7. dawgtoy says:

To me you had to take RNH. If he develops as most project, we have the potential for something really special. If he is the center to make Hall a 50 goal man, then we have our first line we can build a dynasty off of. We just need patience, he likely needs to go back to Red Deer, play for the Junes right in front of our eyes (wish I had ticks). People will watch Landeskog and Larsson play next year and the “why didn’t we” people will jump on the bandwagon, and want to fire everyone. But I trust that the scout and Stu know what they have, that management doesn’t rush him if he isn’t ready after camp, and the fans just let him grow into the star I feel he’ll become. Plus his ELC will be pushed back a year if he’s not ready for the big league, which would help cap wise when we need to sign Hall and the boys on the bus version 2.0

Bo… I’m happy with rnh, but I think to answer why couturier fell, I think the bout with mono hurt his performance. Maybr not enough consideration put in for that. I think flyers got lucky. Whats up with winnipegs pick?

9. Grass&sOIL says:

Really happy with the Klefbom selection. One scouting report tagged his potential as “He’s going to surprise – Top pairing and all-star potential ” -I like the sounds of that!!!

10. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler: I know you like Couturier, but there has to be a reason he fell to 8th. I noticed some people are upset with RNH, and I really don’t know why. The Oilers have not had a centrer with this type of potential in a very very long time. Sure he isn’t the biggest guy out there, but he has already began to add so muscle since the end of the WHL season. I think RNH will be just fine and be the next star in Oil Country. I’ve been on his bandwagon, and I’m very glad Stu went with him. Finally, the top line center issue looks to have an answer.

There’s always a reason why someone falls in the draft, but it is not necessarily a good one. I am surprised that so many teams passed on a centreman like Couturier – especially Winnipeg. I think they’ll regret that one for some time.

11. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki:

I think another aspect of drafting the ‘NHL ready’ (physically) player is that he has in fact played in a league in which most players are merely boys. Players like Landeskog have had the opportunity to play (as men) in a league where most players have yet to fill out their frame. That should be a distinct advantage and may twist results somewhat. What could the Nuge have done if he had played at an inch taller and 20 pounds heavier and stronger? Hard to tell. I like Landeskog, but he may have been drafted too early.

ya that’s my worry too n.o.. Landeskog wasn’t dominating the score board despite his size advantage. I’m hoping that rnh does grow to nhl size and astounds us with what he can do at that size. Agree too on couturier. Teams didnt consider the mono battle enough. He’ll be good.

And I love this klefbom choice. Too bad he’s lhd. But w e need those too

13. Grass&sOIL says:

Jason Gregor said that the Redwings were very high on Klefbom and might be a reason the Wings traded their first round pick after we selected him.

RNH is gonna be a star. I know there are gonna be fans that think he was the wrong pick if he goes back to jr, but we are mostly all agree a year in jr is probably better for him. I think he is going to be a star in the NHL, and I for one am glad we picked him.

Coturier was a great pick by Philly, but I think the reason he fell was his skating, fair or not.

16. dawgtoy says:

chucker: Yes, Randy Gregg. I concur on all those teams who passed on Couturier. Bad move.

Agree, I had mono at 17, and I didnt feel right for the better part of two months. It kicks the shit right out of you. He will look very good in those Flyer silks in no time.

Racki: Look at Comrie’s bout with it. He missed the better part of a whole year because of it. That, or he just wanted to repeatedly bang Hilary Duff.

I’m gonna call his bluff and say it was the second option. Nothing wronng with that…

19. dawgtoy says:

Racki:

LOL, have to go with option two as well. Too funny.