News du Joir

By , June 29, 2011 8:52 am
Starting it off with a big "oops" by David Poile...

Starting it off with a big "oops" by Preds GM David Poile...

A few big items today I figured I’d post about…

History Repeats Itself

Oh boy. Nashville pulled a Chicago and forgot to qualify several rfas per Nick Kypreos. “@RealKyper: Big #NHL news as some question #Predators missing qualifying offers on RFA’s O’Reilly, Spaling, Halischuk and Kostitsyn.” Chicago did this back in 2009. From digging, it looks like they actually did attempt to qualify the players, but the qualifying offers were sent by mail on the final day (uh… dur???) rather than by courier/fax as they usually are. Not sure what the case is with the Preds.

Jagr going to…

Looks like it will be the Pittsburgh Penguins winning this one. Nothing official yet, but Twats out there tell me it will be something like 1 year at $2.1M.

Chris Drury will indeed be bought out

Looks like Drury will indeed be bought out, according to this article here.

I didnt know players could waive medical exceptions. Perhaps something similar could happen to Gilbert Brule, but I doubt he’d go for it since he doesn’t have a team lined up.

Updated at 1:20 PM….. James Wisniewski has been traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a conditional 7th round pick in 2012 (becomes a 5th if the Jackets actually sign him). He will become a UFA if he is not re-signed before Noon ET on July 1st. So the Jackets obviously hope to sign him before then. They will be the only team that can talk to him / his agent in that regard until that deadline.

Updated at 1:56 PM…. Roli re-signs with the Tampa Bay Lightning – 1 year at $3M.

25 Responses to “News du Joir”

Jagr on Sid’s wing could be pretty exciting to see… assuming he plays there. He’s obviously not the same Jagr as the Mario days, but I’d bet he can still pot quite a few playing with Sid, if he keeps up.

2. Szach says:

Love those tweety twats…..

Chris Drury accepted a buy-out with the Rangers and will be a UFA on Friday. Cam Barker cleared waivers. looks like Tambi didn’t bite.

I’m fine with that (not biting on Barker). Would have been an OK move if we dropped Foster or Gilbert, somehow, but there are better D out there on the market.

I’m still hoping that we get Hejda.

James Wisniewski traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a conditional 7th round pick in 2012 (becomes a 5th if the Jackets sign him). He’ll become a UFA if they don’t sign him by Noon ET on July 1st. Does that mean they’re letting Hejda go? They still have a lot of decisions to make on the back end… so maybe they want both. I don’t know.

Roli re-signs with the Tampa Bay Lightning – 1 year at $3M.

7. dawgtoy says:

Erhoff from Van to NYI to Buffalo. Very interesting indeed, he must want big bucks for a long long time.

Or like most, he just doesn’t want to be there right now. Lol we know your pain NYI. I think they offered him 5m-ish I think I read. Could be wrong

Yeah, NYI offered him more than he was looking for and he said no. He isn’t signing before July 1.

Bruins are looking to deal Kaberle’s rights, doesn’t look like they will bring him back, and the payday he thought he was going to get will not be as big as once thought.

What about adding Tomas Kaberle and Mike Commodore(buy-out according to twitter)?

Whitney-Kaberle
    Gilbert-Commie
    Smid-Peckham
    Foster

Don’t think Kaberle is the right player for us (or more like we probably aren’t the team for him). Commodore.. well.. I would have to think he would come for cheap now. He brings toughness and plays a stay at home game and shoots right. I know he’s definitely lost a step. He’d basically be this year’s Vandy at best (minus that level of fighting ability)… and Strudwick at worst. He might be worth the shot though. He wouldn’t be first on my list, but I would like him AND Hejda. He could play more of a bottom pairing or 7th d-man.

12. hemmerlady says:

Paul Kariya retires due to inability to recover from post-concussion syndrome. Sad. I hope the league addresses these concussion issues with aggressive urgency.

Career NHL stats 989 GP-402G-587A-989P

Edit: And Todd Marchant retires! Mr. Game 7.

Wooh, 2 year deal for Smid! Now we need Wreckem’!

14. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki:

I don’t think Commodore has played well since he was with Carolina. Once he signed his most recent deal things seemed to move down hill for him. Don’t like the idea of having another slow monster on the back end. Strudwick has been enough to fill my need for that for years to come. Mobility. Mobility. Mobility.

Studly wonder bomb got bought out. Good riddance. So who signs him?

Nobody would be my guess.

I say the Canadians.

I say the Boston Bruins, something tells me that they are interested in him..

So, accordig to twitter the Oilers really like Ben Eager and he could get a deal tomorrow from the Oil. Eager, Vern Fiddler, Marty Reasoner, Zenon Konopka are all on the Oilers radar for forwards, but I haven’t heard much on defenser.

Btw, Ehrhoff apparently has been signed to a 10 year, $40M contract. :O!!!!!!

Wow.

Uhh, k… are we sure the Islanders traded his rights away?

Yeah Racki, I’m with you I’m not sold on Eager, but I’d love to see a winger that can hit and be physical. A guy like that, Vern Fiddler and Jan Hejda would be nice (Thats right, I’ve fallen nin love with Hejda and Fiddler)

21. oilinblood says:

Racki: Haven’t seen anything about the Oilers and Eager. Can’t say I’m as infatuated with him as some of the other Oil fans out there. His stupid penalties crushed the Sharks in the playoffs this year, and I think he’s always been prone to that. That said, he can play a regular shift much better than MacIntyre, and we probably need a guy here that ISN’T a nice guy to do the enforcer job. Konopka is still our man though. Btw, Ehrhoff apparently has been signed to a 10 year, $40M contract. :O!!!!!!Wow.Uhh, k… are we sure the Islanders traded his rights away?

thats crazy. first its next to impossible to find insurance on deals over 6 years… and this trouble for … ehrhead? second…this is ehrhead we are talking about. third i know the new owner in sabre land has big dreams and wants to send a message… right now that message is they are idiots.
    every summer there is one team that you know just f*ed itself. heeeellllo buffalo.

QUESTION to everyone. if you were gm and brad richards goes on the free market do you make an offer EVEN if it wont be the term and $$$ you think he is looking for/would attain?
    I would. you never know if the player has interest in the dynamic and is willing to take some of the risk. To me i wouldnt make a market value offer on richards because i think he will never overachieve on the money he will get thrown at him. you have to have players over achieve to be successful. NY is a wasteland…any player going there is about money only. history is proof. if its a short term deal id give him market value on the annual basis. I was thinking offer a 3x6m. he could get more term elsewhere and more cash but this is a pretty good situation here. It meets our timeline i think. rest off of rnh. hemmer plays for a contract this year and has a #1 centre. if richards gets another knock to the noggin he could be gone for good so 3 years is max.

Is that a crazy idea?

For now…

Hall Richards Eberle
    Smyth Gagner Hemsky
    Paajarvi Horcoff Omark
    Hartikainen (Konopka or other FO man) Jones

Just a thought.

Racki: For Brad Richards, I would make a high salary (near the top end) short term deal, 2 years tops, citing that we are looking for some one to take our current rookies to the next level until RNH is a stronger NHLer (not just physique-wise). It’s not certain he’d be a center, or any one else on the team could fill it, but I would give it a go. Is that a crazy idea?For now…Hall Richards EberleSmyth Gagner HemskyPaajarvi Horcoff OmarkHartikainen (Konopka or other FO man) JonesJust a thought.Although really, I think if I’m going to throw out lavish money for 2 years, I’d spend it on a quality d-man instead. I think that’s easier said than done though, especially since the type of D I would like isn’t in bulk this FA Frenzy. Tambellini isn’t going to do that though, and I don’t think it’s bad that he won’t. The plan is to pick up the glue guys, by the sounds of it, which I’ve been preaching for a few years now, myself. I think I may have talked myself out of it.. lol I’m lukewarm to the idea.

Lukewarm to adding Richards or glue guys lmao?

OIB & Racki: Richards 2yr deal 9.00million. Maybe that will scare off the Rangers and Laughs (sarcasm btw). Speaking of the Leafs, for a good laugh I’ve been debating going to their message board and creating a Toronto Maple Leafs fan type trade…

To Edm
    Schenn
    4rth Rounder

to Tor
    Smid

Comments: Maybe in a few years, Schenn will be almost as good as Smid. :razz:

I’m with Racki though, I think it would be wise to start looking and trading for or signing solid d-men/d-prospects.

EDIT: This was entertaining…

Bostonoiler: Lukewarm to adding Richards or glue guys lmao?

Oh, lol… Lukewarm to Richards. Until we add the glue guys, I’ll be 110% on board with adding those players.