Jacques/Stortini cut loose…

By , June 27, 2011 5:38 pm

… so to speak. Neither player have been offered a qualifying offer, which makes them UFAs. I don’t see the Oilers signing either of them now, although I suppose they could try and sign Zack to a 2-way contract (he was 1-way before, which means his Q.O. had to also be 1-way). In other words, the Oil could still technically re-sign these guys again, just to a worse contract than they already had (i.e. in Katz’ pocketbook’s favor).

EDIT:

Oilers qualified the following RFA players: Chorney, Smid, O’Marra, Cogliano, Peckham

15 Responses to “Jacques/Stortini cut loose…”

From what I hear the Oilers didn’t qualify JFJ.

Huzzah!

2. Grass&sOIL says:

So far the Organization is doing pretty good!

Reddox, Fraser, JFF, JDD and Gerber out of the picture so far is certainly more then I expected to be completed at this point. Interesting that Storts remains on board(or at least qualified) and I like that! We will be happy to still have him here when a 3rd or 4th liner goes down to injury(Sortini on 4th line with Jones getting bumped up).

To bad about Gerber signing in Europe(as per Oilers lunch). He really wasn’t given much of a chance here. I would liked to have seen more of him on the big club this past season. We need some AHL goalies now.

Good work so far this off season to Tambellini!!!

Edit: As per JG-Zack Stortini is now an UFA…Oilers did not qualify him.

Gerber went and signed in Europe, and the Oilers told JDD he will not be coming back next season. Also, great moveby ST to get rid of Stortini and JFJ, because lets face it, neither of these guys really had a spot anymore.

Yah I’m still not 100% sold that Stortini is THAT bad of a player. I think his biggest downfall though is that he’s a horrible fighter, which makes it tough to justify him. But he has never been a liability, and can be used to generate energy. Oh well, no huge loss. But I think he’s a stand-up guy (like most players of his ilk), so I wish him the best. Hopefully he’s picked up somewhere out East.

5. John says:

I thought Stortini had some issues with “bringing it” on a night by night basis & although it could easily be argued that half the team had that problem, it’s too much to overlook in a player of Zachs role. Also yes the fact that he was better at hugging than fighting was a huge detriment too; might make a hell of a family counsellor with that skill though ;) At the end of the day you can’t give everyone a roster spot just because they are good people so I’m glad to see Tambi putting personal feeling aside & doing whats best for the team moving forward by freeing up some precious roster spots. Next on the “Love yer heart but ya gotta go” axe list… Strudsy!

Great list of who was qualified and who wasn’t here.

Anton Khudobin is the only name I have interest in.

And that’s mainly just so that we could have the Khudobibulin wall.

Edit: TSN also has a good list here.

I think it’s telling that O’marra got qualified. Like lowetide has mentioned (I think he did), I think that management feels he can fill that 4th line center role so they only have to bring in 1 forward.

I think O’Marra is OK. He is a disappointment offensively, but I think he does alright. I’d rather have a tougher option there though, but he’s kind of Kyle Brodziak-ish in his play. Big problem though is he doesn’t seem to be particular good on the dot.

Racki: Chucker, for farm goaltender, not sure there are many better options. I would be happy with Khudobin. As far as Tyler Kennedy, I have heard rumor that the Pens are going to try and sign him back, they just obviously weren’t happy with what the QO would have been (i.e. he’ll get a pay cut). And I know the Oilers are big on trying rooks at the 4th line center spot, but we’ve been murdered down the middle because save for Horcoff (who can’t carry the team on his back), we don’t have a single player that can actually play center properly. So I’d rather they bring a “pro” in and let VV / OMarra be call ups.

Yeah, that’s why I hope Tyler gets to free agency. You never know. He’ll have a tonne of offers if he does. I’d prefer him over another rookie. The rub there is he would be going to a rebuilding team with a way worse travel schedule instead of a cup contender, but hey, agents like to maximze these opportunities, so you never know. He should be the guy Tambi calls at 12:01 on July 1st. He is fast, hits, good on the dot, a league leader in shots and is a guy who can also play wing very well. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: My mistake. Obviously with no QO he becomes a free agent. I just hope it’s not all orchestrated like your rumour suggests. I’d love that guy here.

Racki: Chucker: I think teams can’t actually talk to UFAs (even non-qualified RFAs) until July 1st, so your point still is right anyways.. technically the Pens could re-sign him before then.

DAMMIT! :P

14. oilinblood says:

chucker: Wow. Some decent names on that list: Tyler Kennedy, Niclas Bergfors, Dan Carcillo, Anthony Stewart. Tyler Kennedy would be awesome on this team. He must have been a cap casualty because he played great for the Pens last year. Tambi better snap that guy up if he can.EDIT: What do you guys think about picking up Khudobin for the farm? Are there better options?I think O’Marra and VV are going to be fighting it out for a fourth line centre spot. It just seems to point that way to me. Also glad to see the JFJ experiment finished. It’s ironic that in his only healthy off season, he isn’t qualified, but enough already. Storts, dime a dozen AHLer. Good guy, not an NHLer to me.

i was looking at the same names. i have always had an interest in anthony. i dont know why it is such an easy sell to do the low risk high reward on a pip squeek in edmonton but rarely do we ever do that on a guy like anthony who has the physical tools and work ethic. trade for a brule and evweryone thinks its an easy goal, keep giving cogs lives to squander, but glenx can walk and stewart…?why do we favor the small lawn ornaments so much? this is hockey is it not? the bruins and canucks did just go to the finals did they not? whats their average team size?

i would love to get anthony here. size IS a necessity here. injury man games lost can no longer be slapped away as a coincidence. hemmer will continue to pay for the lack of size thru the ranks, followed by our young stars. one by one they will go down if we dont build ourselves as a hockey team and not a cast for snow white on broadway.
    TK is a small guy but built and tenacious. right handed centre to boot. frankly id take him on the team no and chuck cogs as far as i can. get stewart in here on a 1 way and make him earn it thru camp (another needed rh shot).
    maybe lines would end up like this:
    hall horcoff eberle
    paajarvi gags hemsky
    smyth kennedy stewart
    jones vv/rnh omark

im not convinced rnh will stick but i think he will have to suck out right to not get the 9 game look.

Re Kennedy – the articles I’m reading this morning say the Pens are trying to sign him before Friday & both sides want to work something out. He wasn’t qualified because the QO didn’t make sense but also because if he was qualified he’d be able to go the arbitration route with the Pens.

Not surprised about JFJ, Storts or JDD. Will be interesting to see if any of them pop back up into the NHL again. I think JDD will but it might take a couple years.