Draft Day!

By , June 24, 2011 9:53 am

Draft...draught...get it... (focus on the beer guys)

Thought I’d throw up a post for discussion today about the draft. I’ll also update this with Oilers specific news during the day (or a hate filled rant of Tambellini).

Today is the day that drafting the Nuge/or Larsson/Trade with Florida/acquire Smyth happens.

Update 5:24pm – Bob McKenzie I think confirmed Smyth to the Oilers for Brule, plus the Oilers picked the Nuge @ #1 and put a sexy new home jersey on him.

Update 7:42pm – Oilers pick Klefbom with the 19th pick

Discuss…
Also, chat added.

LIVE CHAT

Closed.. please use the comments section.

88 Responses to “Draft Day!”

1. A tree with presents underneath or girls with beer, kissing dressed like it’s Oktoberfest, hmmmm…. I like the opening draft day post pic on your site far better and bow to your superior judgement.

2. Think we may get a slider at 19?

To be honest I don’t think anyone that good will drop to 19. Maybe to 10, which is where they supposedly want to move up to, but at 19 you might have someone predicted to go at 12 fall there.

That said, I would never have guessed Fowler to fall from 3 to 12.

4. If McNeill was there at 19 I think that’s as close to a faller as we could hope for myself. Maybe Klefbom. Both are still very improbable at 19.

5. Alan-NottsUK says:

aquire smyth, keep it quiet, bring him onstage with hall to give the jersey to 1st overall pick. profit?

7. DropIt says:

Oilers:

Ryan Nugent Hopkins
    Joe Morrow

Calgary:
    Beaulieu or Armia

Just my guesses.

8. DropIt says:

Steve-O: So far TSN has had two bits of news: Brewer re-signs with Tampa for 4 years and it looks as though the Jets are indeed going to be the name.

also,

GMillerTSN Gord Miller
    by DarrenDreger
    Hearing that Calgary is closing in on a deal for Ryan Smyth. He waives his no-trade and the Flames give up a late round pick.
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    If Ryan Smyth ends up in CGY, and it’s looking more and more like he will, it will be interesting to compare reactions in EDM and CGY. #TSN

9. Ktown says:

I’m fucking dying right now.

If Smytty doesn’t end up in Edmonton over Calgary – over a fucking late round pick!?

*sigh*

Don’t fuck this up, Tambellini

10. Haboiler says:

It will be horrible if #94 ends up in calgary but I really hope it doesn’t take fans eyes off the prize of the day and the direction the team is going. Having said that, it will be brutal to see him in a flaming C especially over a 5-7th rounder.

11. Ktown says:

I heard that Tambellini has his eyes on a “can’t miss” kid that they’re gonna land in the 4th round.

Kid brings Stanley Cup experience, Awesome work ethic, and woulda led the Oilers in scoring last season.

I guess that’s worth NOT trading for Smyth…

/sarcasm

I think someone changed Tambellini’s ringer to the ice cream song so every time his phone rings he runs outside…

13. Trogdor says:

I vote for a move that sends Smyth to Winnipeg and he comes up on stage at pick time with a new jersey and a new name.

THE MANITOBA MULLETS!

14. Grass&sOIL says:

Damn it the Avs traded JM Liles to the Leafs for a 2nd round pick……..That might mean the Avs are going for Larrson. The news gets worse and worse.

15. Trogdor says:

Hmm… Maybe there’s still a snowball’s chance we’ll work some magic with Florida. Otherwise welcome to Edmonton RNH.

I think we are going rnh and zero chance we move our top pick. As for smyth, all signs point to him landing in calgary while tambellini is still evaluating the idea

To be honest, I doesn’t really matter who they pick at this point cause the first 6-8 seem like “can’t miss” kids, but we really need C and D (and G too).

As for Smyth, love for him to come back, but really its the UFA signings that need to be done after July 1 that will make me want to kill Tambellini or not.

18. Ktown says:

Word ’round the campfire is that Smytty didn’t waive his NTC for Calgary, and won’t until he’s had a chance to talk with the Oilers and figure out their plans.

Tweet from Nick Kypreos: Potential Smyth #NHL trade to #Flames on hold until Ryan finds out where #Oilers stand with possible return. As of now his NTC not lifted.

This is good news/bad news from my seat. Good news – Smytty WANTS Edmonton. Bad news – if this doesn’t get done, the fault is squarely on Management, and I’ll go along with the “these guys have their heads up their asses” bandwagon… unless they manage to score a major development at the draft table, but I doubt it.

19. Grass&sOIL says:

I actually think that Calgary Ownership might have turned Fester down. They probably hired him to be different then his predecessor ;) That (or Smyth not waiving) would mean the Oilers have an upperhand on the Kings the Oil are trying to make the Kings take back some salary(Not Souray).

Seriously, If the Oilers don’t get smyth because they feel a 4th round pick is more important, Tambi should be slapped…..twice

But in seriousness, I really think that Tami needs to just get this done, its obvious that Smyth wants to be an Oiler, I mean come on Tambi get this done please.

21. Ktown says:

Well, Here we go!

22. Grass&sOIL says:

@Darren Dreger-Sounds like it could be player for player. Smyth for Brule?

23. Ktown says:

oooooh… Smytty for Brule? as per Dreger

I liked Smytty for a 4th better, but wouldn’t be too disappointed if that one happened. Maybe too much to give up for Smytty (I can’t believe I said that), but I’d still love having #94 back in Oil silks.

I’m pretty sure if I was a kid that went to school with D. Katz’ son I’d want to punch him in the face.

25. Ktown says:

gr8one:

LOL – glad I’m not the only one…

I had a wierd dream the Oil picked Landeskog, it would be nice but not for first overall. Hopefully my dream doesn’t come true.

27. Grass&sOIL says:

gr8one:

Hey that’s not a nice thing to say about our future #1 goalie ;)

28. Grass&sOIL says:

Bob McKenzie confirms Smyth to the Oilers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Ktown says:

Grass&sOIL:
    Bob McKenzie confirms Smyth to the Oilers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second that!!

whoooooo hoooooo!!!!

Brule, you just became one of my faves by helping this happen!!!

Smyth for Brule and a low pick. Well we moved a fringe player in Brule for Smyth, I’d say its a win.

31. Alan-NottsUK says:

i’m kinda suprised you don’t have a chat going for this like you did on gamedays

32. Ktown says:

That’s a white vintage jersey they’re carrying!!

33. Ktown says:

HOPPY!!!

Alan-NottsUK:

That’s a solid idea…let me see if I can’t get that fired up.

35. Grass&sOIL says:

White Vintage Sweater and Ryan(X2) is coming home!!! Things are starting to seem more right around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. Ktown says:

LOL – Taylor Hall – “He’ll be a fun kid to play with”…

Taylor, how far removed from kid are you?

LOL – love it!!

37. Trogdor says:

Hooray! Now what ufas on D can we sign?

38. Ktown says:

Wow, Smytty and the Vintage Whites… Guess I better prep the wife for an addition to my half of the closet.

Great pick for the AVs. This kid is a beast.

Landeskog picked second. And chat window up if anyone wishes to use it.

Love the pick of Hopkins, the right move to get us our elite center. Ryan Smyth is coming home and now we have matching home and away jerseys.

Maybe Eberle jersey came in too, well worth the $$

Huberdeau third

Larsson fourth to the Devils

(Huberdeau went to the Panthers, and Landeskog to the Avs)

It’s not looking like the Oilers will get Hamilton :(

Strome fifth to Islanders

Zibanejad went sixth to the Sens

Scheifele went seventh to the Winnipeg Jets!

I still believe Couturier will be a steal of a pick, come on Oilers step up! Hamilton or Coururier!

Couturier goes eight to Flyers