Draft Day 2!

By , June 25, 2011 5:30 am

Keith was picked 54th overall...can we find a gem in the later rounds?

Here is a post for discussion regarding the second draft day.

On day one, the Oilers drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins @ #1 and Oskar Klefbom @ #19. And picked up Ryan Smyth from L.A. for Brule and a 4th (still not confirmed as of writing this, but TSN has it so I’ll consider it a done deal).

Oilers are looking to pick at 31, 62, 73 (from Flames – Staios trade), 91, 113 (from Pens – Garon trade), 121 and 181 (I think these are accurate, all from here).

Who will they pick? Saad, Rattie and Musil are all still available.

Update at 10:22am: At 31st the Oilers took Musil (D), at 62nd they took Perhonen (G) and with the 74th pick they selected Ewanyk (LW)…and supposedly the Smyth deal is on hold due to Brule’s health

Update at 10:35am: Oilers pick Dillon Simpson at 92nd (I guess all those numbers from above are off by one). Looks like this is Craig Simpson’s kid.

Update at 11:49am: Oilers picked Tobias Reider (F) at 114, and Martin Gernat (D) at 122

Update at 12:02pm: Oilers pick Frans Tuohimaa with their final pick at 182

17 Responses to “Draft Day 2!”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

Gord Miller says the Smyth deal is stalled. Brule’s health is in question.

“The Ryan Smyth deal has bogged down with Edm. Issue appears to be Brule’s health. Kings are still talking with the Oilers and… Flames.”

David Musil, this kid can chuck the nuckles.

Wow, Edmonton chose a goalie. Samu, Perhonen.

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Nice pick with Musil.

Found this little gem on NHL.com. “Perhonen means ‘butterfly’ in Finnish.”

Oilers apparently got the best goalie available but “he’s a long ways away”

Racki! Where have you been?

Recovering from laser eye surgery still. Been hard to look at computer screen

7. Ktown says:

Calgary signs Tanguay for 5 years, $17.5M. That takes them out of the Ryan Smyth picture. Doesnt matter anyways. Once Brule goes through a medical check this deal goes official.

I actually really wonder if Brule will pass the medical check though. But they might be able to swing someone else in there. Was the 4th for next year? I guess it will have to be now..

9. Ktown says:

Rumor was Brule was likely not going to stay in LA anyways. Either bought out or moved. Doesnt make sense to buy him out if LA is trying to save cap space but who knows.

I heard that Cogs was the guy LA wanted, but Tambi had a possible deal on the table for him that he wanted to wait out. My guess is if Brule fails the med check that Cogs goes instead.

10. Alan-NottsUK says:

according to a kings writer brule hasn’t been ‘cleared to play’ according to tambi he’s been cleared to play for months.

kings writer, replied to me on twitter saying paperwork for his clear to play hadn’t been filed

11. oilinblood says:

despite his girlfriends tweets of excitement (annoying bi___) brule will be quickly bought out by LA if this trade goes thru. Good riddance to another guy with bad taste in women. you cant buy out an injured player —drury etc.

Its a salary and 1 way contract dump by the oil. the oilers are already spending about 9 mill they figure is lost before the smyth deal even comes into play -souraay and khabi
    one more thing i should point out is the buy out limit in the cba. you have a limit on how many buyouts you can do within a time frame of 2 year periods. this makes me believe the oilers have a buyout planned on souray.

12. oilinblood says:

NorwegianOiler: Nice pick with Musil. Found this little gem on NHL.com. “Perhonen means ‘butterfly’ in Finnish.”

i remember in oil change they talked about him being a high pick this year. im not sold on simpsons son …plus his dad is annoying. lowes son would have been a better pick but there are so many anti lowe people out there now.

rediculous trade to ott for filatov. just shaming other gm’s. unbelievable. if it works… hes a possible top 6 now for a 2-4 year development expense hope and a prayer. no-brainer

Keegan Lowe asked not to be picked by the Oilers for that reason. Too many people would be screaming nepotism… all the pressure, etc.. I think he was wise to think that. Pity, really.

I was actually hoping to see Lowe get draftd by the Oilers, as I think he is going to be a good player one day. Not a star player, but a good player. I totally understand him asking to go somewhere else, and to be honest I might have made the same choice as he did. I really do like the results from this weekend as I think Stu came out with 3 guys that will definatly see the NHL in RNH, Klefbom and Musil. The rest of the guys all have some work to do, but from the reading I have done all have some good potential.

Now on the Smyth deal, it looks like its going to be someone other than Brule, and on twitter I keep seeing the name Colin Fraser come up. Fraser and a 5th would be fine by me. Get this Smyth trade done with please, then buy-out Sheldon Souray and lets move forward.

Ryan Smyth deal Update: Looks like Tambi was right, Brule is healthy, BUT the Oilers FAILED to register the proper paperwork with the NHL sayig Brule is healthy and can play. I for one and very surprised that something like that went unnoticed until now. Lets hope it is a matter of getting the paper work filed for the trade to go down

(Source for this was the LA Times)

Adding to the post above, Oilers and Kings will meet Sunday to try and hammer something out. This really should get done tomrrow. Either A.) Oilers file Brule’s paper and he takes a physical. B.) Another player is added in to replace Brule (I’m talking Fraser, JFJ, Stortini even Cogliano) or C.) Oilers and Kings decide a trade will not get done and Smyth will go elsewhere.

Racki: Oilers apparently got the best goalie available but “he’s a long ways away”

I think that remains to be seen given everyone passed over Conz again this draft, which I find really surprising given how well he performed in the WJC’s. No way the Swiss get to 4th place without him.

Nothing against Perhonen, maybe he’s the best goalie available of his age (18), but will be interesting to see if Conz has another great year if teams will be clamoring for him as a free agent. I think this would be his last draft since he turns 20 in Sept?