By , June 8, 2011 10:42 am
Is CBJ's #8 up for grabs?

Is CBJ's #8 up for grabs?

OK, a new Lowetide article is up that mentions news about the Columbus Blue Jackets cleaning up their scouting staff. Don Boyd (Assistant GM, dubbed “amateur scouting guru” by the article) and Bob Strumm (Pro Scouting Director) were fired. Lowetide mentions that with this happening so close to the draft, you have to wonder if this fuels the rumor even more of their 8th overall pick being available. Of course, the Oilers and Howson have their history, and he’s generally been a willing dance partner with us.

It wouldn’t come easy, but we have some assets that we are looking to move. Tambellini could take a quantum leap in everyone’s eyes if he moves some assets that aren’t long term Oilers for another top-10 shot. Add that to the New Jersey rumor.

We’d obviously have to give up something significant for the 8th overall pick, but could you imagine if the Oilers manage to get that pick and the NJ pick? Even if we give up the 19th pick, we’re still looking mighty good having #1, #4, and #8. It’s a pipe dream, but let’s imagine it comes to fruition. Think of the huge step forward this organization’s future could take if these prospects pan out.

Humoring this possibility, I would draft Adam Larsson first, because I think he is the best defenseman available and we really should seal that. At four, I would take one of the big center prospects (and by big, I mean “elite potential”, not size) in this order, depending on availability: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Couturier, Jonathan Huberdeau. If by some long shot he’s available, my pick at 8 would be Gabriel Landeskog, but I doubt he would be available. So if not, and if we picked RNH at #4, I would use #8 pick for another centerman, as a back up; one that has size, like Ryan Strome. If we got Couturier or Huberdeau at #4, and we didn’t get Landeskog at 8, I would pick one of the d-prospects available next (even though we have Larsson). This would be my order, based on availability: Dougie Hamilton, Nathan Beaulieu, Ryan Murphy. Each of those guys has their own top-appeal and could be an excellent top pairing with Larsson in the future.

Now, you would have to think that this route would be a slow one as far as making us a contender… but stocking the shelves with quality talent will go a long way in taking us from a very good team to a superb team. Again, I go back to the old Montreal Canadiens drafting style – empty the cabinets for as many 1st round picks as you can. One of those picks will almost surely pan out to be a spectacular player, and the others have a good chance too. And that was back in the day when drafting was much more of a crap shoot. Doing it now gives us increased chance of getting some quality players. “Get ‘er done, Tambi”

Addendum:

Carter available?

Another rumor to add to the mix… Jeff Carter’s name is being mentioned as available, since the Flyers are likely going to sign Ilya Bryzgalov (at a cost) and would need to move salary. I’d say that if he’s available, we should jump on the deal. Jeff Carter is signed until 2019 (at least.. I can’t see past that year) at what I would consider a good contract for his abilities. He’s got BIG size and is the #1 center we so desperately need. Yes, solving it in the draft would be great, but I think making this move eliminates risk and allows us to draft Larsson instead. Having Carter between Hall and Eberle also gives them a giant launch in both of their careers, being able to play with such a skilled center. Carter is 26, which doesn’t make him young anymore, but he still has several good years left, I’m sure. He’s consistently put up a lot of goals each year including 46 one year.

Just more to consider. Since the Flyers would be looking to drop salary, that would mean we would have to give up some cheaper assets. That could mean moving #19 and a prospect or more established player. I would do it, as long as it doesn’t involve moving Paajarvi, Hall or Eberle. I would even consider Gagner in this situation, but that would mean that we should still be interested in a center this year, but it would be a #2 guy now… which perhaps Horcoff could fill for now while Pitlick develops.

12 Responses to “Blue Jackets scout staff firings… 8th overall pick in play? / Jeff Carter Available?”

2. Grass&sOIL says:

Realistically we only really should try to land one more pick in the top 10. The NJ pick or the CLB pick would be enough for me. We already have a pretty good stockpile of prospects developing now and I trust in Stu to find us some more gems in the latter rounds. Next years draft is said to be very deep and better then this one(they always seem to say this though. After this draft, for me at least the draft should start turning into a back burner issue and the Oilers should start being an active participants in the FA and trade markets.

I wouldn’t trade Hemsky for picks. At some point we are going to want to start keeping NHL players instead of continuing to grab picks in hopes that the future is good.

Using Hemsky to make a play for Carter, sure. But in order to just get picks (even if they are top 10), that just seems to me to be putting the team in a continual loop of “looking to the future”. At some point you need to turn that corner and keep your NHL players, while picking up some more and grooming current picks into them.

4. Grass&sOIL says:

Steve-O:
    I wouldn’t trade Hemsky for picks.At some point we are going to want to start keeping NHL players instead of continuing to grab picks in hopes that the future is good.

Using Hemsky to make a play for Carter, sure.But in order to just get picks (even if they are top 10), that just seems to me to be putting the team in a continual loop of “looking to the future”.At some point you need to turn that corner and keep your NHL players, while picking up some more and grooming current picks into them.

I would have agreed with you about a year ago but with Hemsky’s injury’s and with only one year left on his contract his trade value is now lower. I like the NJ trade because we get 2 NHL players and a high pick. Now I know that Rolston is well past prime and the other, White a good but somewhat unheralded player is lower then what you are thinking I still think it’s more of a return then we would get for Hemsky if we waited till the deadline. Also, what if he sustains another injury?

Now I am a big Hemsky fan and If he starts showing a willingness to sign an extension and stay here then I am fine with that too.

Echoes my sentiments. I like Hemsky a lot too. But the injuries are a big concern. I wouldn’t think Hemsky would get us Carter unless we’re also pulling in more salary back this way, but I would definitely entertain the idea if it’s a possibility.

And I can see that another pick may be overkill, but I just think it allows us to be more patient with some of the draftees and develop the “right way”. Although there is a point where things might get a bit clogged and guys lose ice time needed to compete… but that would be after their junior years, and maybe even would be fine in the AHL for a bit too.

6. Grass&sOIL says:

Not necessarily overkill, it would just put more emphases on winning in the future and less on winning in the upcoming season. I have really had enough of the tanking, hearing about our potential and things like H.O.P.E. The attempt at winning needs to start now.

7. oilinblood says:

Howson said 2 months ago that pick would be available for a player ready to help now. He wants to push NOW. nothing new

8. John says:

I will also agree with possibly moving Hemmer for a couple good, sturdy prospects or a guy like Carter. He’s been our most exciting & dynamic player for many years now but I just don’t see any way this guy stays healthy enough to score more than 75pts on our team, ever! I fear that last year may have been the last opportunity to get what we would consider fair value for. An impact player like Carter who can play a big man’s game without going down like clockwork would be a breath of fresh air, as would a couple good young 40+pt prospects with their whole careers ahead of them.

I’m not too sure the Oilers could get their hands on Carter. If it was going to happen I’d be ALL for it however, I think Philly would much rather figure out how to salary dump alternative ways… like not signing 3rd/4rth line guys and letting go of Zherdev and trading one of their backups (most likely Leighton or possibly Bob) plus trading away Versteeg if possible. All of that plus if the cap does go up I think they’ll have enough room to work with and I just can’t see any of our roster players besides Hartikainen or Peckham, drawing interest/dawning a Flyers jersey and that would not land us Carter.

I think right now the best plan is for ST to acquire as many high picks as possible, without trading away our future (Hall, Eberle, MPS, Dubnyk, Peckham, border line Gagner, Whitney -even though he’s older). This at the cost of current roster players like Hemsky, Gilbert, Cogs + whoever draws attention. If we could acquire a top 8 pick, keeping our “future” and retain our first overall I’d be all for it however I’m not sure NJ would risk trading their pick if Landeskog was still available.

That being said, I’ve posted that the Oilers will take RNH first overall but I still am on the Couturier bandwagon, I’d be happy with Larsson too but I think he’d take longer to develop and it would be better if we could slowly bring him up as oppose to playing him in the NHL asap. I know Huberdeau had a great run in the MC but for some reason my head tells me Strome over Huberdeau. Partly because Strome is a natural center and the other part because his hockey sense and vision may not have the same “potential ceiling” as RNH but from the highlights I’ve seen and his statistics… if I was the hockey team that drafted him I’d be quite excited.

zackman35: I think right now the best plan is for ST to acquire as many high picks as possible, without trading away our future (Hall, Eberle, MPS, Dubnyk, Peckham, border line Gagner, Whitney -even though he’s older). This at the cost of current roster players like Hemsky, Gilbert, Cogs + whoever draws attention.

My opinion is that if the Oilers did that they would be picking top 5 again next year, and good chance of it the year after too.

If Hemsky could stay healthy, his contribution to the team would be immense. But playing half the season or less doesn’t do us much good.

Gilbert… I think you overvalue his contribution. He does a lot for this team, but that’s only by default because we have no one else. So if they were smart about a UFA signing, that could be OK to trade him.

Cogliano… well, if they keep trying to force him to be a center, I think we’re better off without him.

Well yeah, if they replace them will UFA’s that are all the same or better talent wise then its fine.

But a) I’m not sure that’s something that Tambellini is capable of and b) it’d probably end up costing more than what they do now so whats the point?