2011 NHL Combine

By , June 2, 2011 8:05 pm
2011 NHL Draft Combine is going on right now..

2011 NHL Draft Combine is going on right now..

Wow, I have been asleep at the switch. I missed that this was even going on right now. It started on May 30, 2011 and ends tomorrow, June 3rd.

There are some interviews up on the oilers website, including interviews with players Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog, Adam Larsson, Sean Couturier, Jonathan Huberdeau and Dougie Hamilton, as well as Oilers staff Steve Tambellini and Stu MacGregor.

First quick observation. Holy eff… what is with Landeskog?? This guy speaks better english than most North Americans. No accent at all on him (kind of like Nick Lidstrom). He’s a very modest and well spoken player too. Adam Larsson spoke briefly on his familiarity with Paajarvi and Lander, mentioning that he’s played in world competition with them for about four years now. I wouldn’t say there was anything else particularly stand out in the player interviews though. I’d say the best interview to listen to (as expected) is Stu MacGregor’s interview. He provides some good insight in the whole process.

Tomorrow is the big day of the combine, which TSN will actually be airing… that’s the day that the players go through their physical testing. This might help give a good look at what growth RNH might be capable of, or perhaps how far ahead of the curve some of the other bigger guys are. Should be interesting.

Edit: June 4th, 9:00AM:
Here are the combine results:

A quick summary of some of the names you may be interested in…:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins finished top 10 in one of the fitness tests (Max # of Curl-Ups – 9th)
Adam Larsson finished in the top 10 3 times (8th in VO2Max, 1st in Test Duration, 5th in Wing Span)
Gabriel Landeskog finished in the top 10 5 times (10th in Sum of 6 Skinfolds, 10th in Vertek Leg Pwr Average (Lewis)/No Pause, 9th in Left Hand Grip, 6th in Bench Press (# of 150 lb reps), 6th in Max # of Push-Ups)
Sean Couturier finished top 10 1 time (5th in Max # of Curl-Ups)
Jonathan Huberdeau finished top 10 3 times (1st in Fatigue Index, 4th in Sum of 6 Skinfolds, 5th in % body fat)
Dougie Hamilton finished top 10 an incredible 11 times (4th in Mean Power Output, 3rd in Test Duration, 9th in Vertek Vert Jump/Pause, 10th in Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/Pause, 10th in Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/No Pause, 3rd in 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Ground Time, 4th in 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Power Factor, 5th in Left Hand Grip, 6th in Bench Press (# of 150 lb reps), 6th in Bench Press (lb/lb body weight)
Ryan Strome finished top 10 2 times (10th in Mean Power Output, 7th in Fatigue Index)
Mark McNeill (Edmonton boy) finished top 10 12 times (4th in Hand-eye Coordination, 4th in Vertek Leg Pwr Average (Lewis)/Pause, 3rd in Vertek Leg Pwr Average (Lewis)/No Pause, 7th in Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/Pause, 3rd in Vertek Leg Pwr Peak (Sayers)/No Pause, 5th in 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Ground Time, 7th in 4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Power Factor, 2nd in Right Hand Grip, 1st in Left Hand Grip, 1st in Bench Press (# of 150 lb reps), 5th in Bench Press (lb/lb body weight), 9th in Push-Ups (max #)

Looks like local product Mark McNeill killed it (as did Joseph Morrow and Jamie Oleksiak – each with 12 top-10 scores). Dougie Hamilton was another notable with 11 top-10 scores, and Jonathan Racine and Colin Sullivan with 10 top-10 scores each.

As mentioned though, I’d take some of these results with a grain of salt, although it can still be very useful.

36 Responses to “2011 NHL Combine”

Some more valid arguments, perhaps for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins:

Oilersnation article by Jason Gregor

Twat from BioSteelSports: “Nugent-Hopkins is no string bean… small frame but it looks like he is in shape.”

I’m wavering again… damn it…

I wouldn’t be so sure Racki, I saw some TSN videos of the combine this morning and so far to me it doesn’t look like he’s anything special physically which draws some more question marks. I’m not 100% sure because of the video quality but so far from what I get he can bench 150lbs 8x and has a VO2max of around 45ml/kg/min (yet again I’m not 100% sure yet because I couldnt really here is VO2max score because of video quality.

Silver lining is he has a lot of room to improve and if he’s putting up numbers in the stats column at that physical state that’s impressive. I’ll cover most this stuff in the article but if those are his true scores he’ll need at least one more year in the dub I’m thinking.

zackman35:

Yah I’m just going by what is tweeted.. I haven’t watched the combine yet, since I’m at work.

4. MetalOil says:

I read on TSN’s Draft Blog that RNH is having trouble gaining weight. Who knows if he ever will add much to his frame???

If the Oilers did draft a Center with the first pick and then managed to draft Oleksiak as well (if they feel he is not ranked so high just because of his size, I need skill there too) then I would almost be as happy as selecting Larrson first overall.

BIG EDIT: So originally I thought RNH got 48 on his VO2 and up above I posted around 45 but his actual score is 58.3ml/kg/min which is a LOT better. That is a pretty good score and on his bench I guess he scored a six (didn’t count two of them? Probably because he didn’t come low enough) as per Bob Mackenzie who I’ll be going off for test results now. Zack Phillips has a pretty high VO2 score at 66.9 VO2/kg/min, impressive.

ya I was just going to post that zack. And mo, that is odd cause gregor mentioned he’s already 175 or something. Put on a bit since his season ended

7. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Oh, maybe it was just very hard for him to put it on.

Hopefully Landeskog has a good combine cause I still want the Oil to draft him

MetalOil: Oh, maybe it was just very hard for him to put it on.

it could also be that he put on the wrong kind of weight too mind you.

Steve-O:
    Hopefully Landeskog has a good combine cause I still want the Oil to draft him

Well, as you noted at work, Bob McKenzie says he looks like a man amongst boys. But at the same time, I wouldn’t get too infatuated with that because it doesn’t necessarily make him the best player of the future. Between him and Larsson, they’re probably the only players that are NHL ready (oh and probably Couturier)… but they aren’t necessarily going to be the best in a couple/few years. Not saying they won’t. Just saying we shouldn’t put all stock in that… some.. not all.

Speaking of Couturier, I haven’t heard a single thing about him… I assume his group hasn’t gone yet?

12. mrgod2u says:

Yeah RNH said in one of the interviews that putting on mass was a priority for him this off-season. He talked about already adding 5 lbs, and working hard to try and get up more mass before training camp.

Hopefully he’s gaining muscle mass, not cheeto-mass.

14. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    Hopefully he’s gaining muscle mass, not cheeto-mass.

Gotta love this quote from the The Great One:
    “When I scored 90 goals I could do 10 situps. When I could do 90 situps I scored 10 goals.”

Lol nice. with all due respect to wayne though, his goal scoring went down as the ice got more cramped and his body was more punished. So having a decent frame is a necessity now. We aren’t talking 220 here, but around 190 at least I’d sayLol nice. with all due respect to wayne though, his goal scoring went down as the ice got more cramped and his body was more punished. So having a decent frame is a necessity now. We aren’t talking 220 here, but around 190 at least I’d say.

The amount of bulk rnh needs is debatable, but him needing it or not its not at all debatable. He definitely needs it. But I’m ok if he can only do ten sit ups :P

One for those in the Landeskog camp (of which Steve-O is the only one I can think of, at least for first overall):

They said on TSN that he had six fights in the OHL. Not too shab. The link above is a goodie.

17. hemmerlady says:

Hmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Larsson tested well below average. That’s a concern. Could that be due to his injury? He seemed a little sluggish in the interview (just tired? also language barrier was likely a factor). A TSN analyst (McKenzie?) was saying that Tambi was really impressed with the minutes Larsson has put up in the SEL.

I was really impressed with Landeskog – testing was way above average, he looks built in the right way for the game, and I loved his personality in his interview with Rishaug. He was funny, seemed very sharp. After watching the interview I think he would really fit in well with the Oil. He seems mature for his age too. I wish we need a RW more than we need a Centre.

I am also waffling but I admit I really need to see some more film on these guys. Or I could just trust Stu. :)

Edit: sweet clip Racki. See how fast he dropped the gloves?? Then he owned the guy. Wow.

Larsson had a shoulder injury at some point towards the end of the season. Could still be affecting him. And yah, I think someone said he was getting something super high like 28 minutes in Sweden. Pretty good considering he is out of his age group.

As for Landeskog, yah, I youtubed a few fights. One he was dominant in (the one you saw), one he lost but not at all badly, the other one I’d say was fairly even. In all 3 though, he initiated it, standing up for a teammate. Always respect that. And I was very impressed with the fact that he speaks english like it’s his first language.

Anyways, the one thing that guys sometimes look at in the combine too is how much room for growth there is. I heard someone (I forget who.. Dave Tallon maybe?) mention something along the lines of a player: “if he is THAT good not being in that great shape, imagine how he could be if he was more fit?” Not a word for word quote at all, but that was the gist of it… I also can’t remember if it was about Larsson or about someone else… it might not have even been this draft class. Anyways, the point is… you can spin this combine a few different ways. If they’re in superb condition.. does that mean that their on ice performance is at a peak because this is really as good as their body will get (well.. they’re young, so chances are they would get stronger)? Or if a guy is out of shape, but playing superbly… does that mean he could get a lot better if you can manage to squeeze better fitness out of him? I know I’m oversimplifying here. But sometimes I don’t get it.

Looking forward to that article Zack is going to write on the combine, might shed some answers! (segue.. :P)

Very similarly to how Seguidilla :P(ispell auto correct for Seguin) made a dramatic rise at the combine, so has Landeskog and to some degree, Strome.

I watched RNH and thought I was pretty happy with what I saw. Given that, I am still leaning towards Couturier based on season performance. Having said that, Landeskog has jumped to number 3 or 4 for me, which may as well be darn close to number one in this draft. Somebody will hit a home run in this draft and somebody will hit a sac fly. Just got that gut feeling.

RNH did very good on the VO2 max for a small guy, but he is a small guy. Granted he is ripped, but whom isn’t at 170-175 lbs ? He is a guy that you draft like Schenn and hope he dominates like Schenn did atvthe WJCs. I guess it depends on what your draft objective is, but I would still be sticking to my previous list: Couturier, Larsson, RNH/Landeskog, Strome, Huberdeau.

21. oilinblood says:

chucker: On Larsson, I have no issue with a guy who has always been in the top two having an average combine when he has had a shoulder injury ( Hall was not stellar either and was injured) and has already proven he can play at a high level with men. Larsson is likely the pick with the fewest question marks in my view.hall only did the basics because of his injuries. I give Larsson extra marks for doing it. Same with Huberdeau.

My exact thoughts on it. Could have done like hall (and i dont hold it against hall or any player if he is really recovering) and opted out of tests. Apparently he didnt think the vo2 was that tough. Perhaps he wasnt pushed enough by who was yelling at him. Bench and push ups and jump/extensions would have been difficult with a recovering shoulder -as some have opted out of these. He did them and i think its because he acknowledges that scouts know he is injured and this combine is just to give an idea of what the future might hold. All the combine is is a bit more education of players for scouts. And yes Larsson has a bit of a soft neck (didnt see his body but facially he has some spacek softness). In Stu i trust.

I remember Chris Gratton, Brule, Rita, Fata, Lundmark…hell the list goes on and on.

The important thing is Stu and the scouts get the best information they can get to make a clearer picture.

OIB: It’s funny to look back on this stuff now, when you think about it. That’s exactly why some of the hype and the combine and such should be taken with a grain of salt. Really though, I think Stu has shown early on that he puts a lot of work into understanding what he’s getting at the draft table.. so really, as I’ve said all along, the name he calls will be a name I’m really happy with.

Combine results are up now:

Sean Couturier finished top 10 1 time (5th in Max # of Curl-Ups)

Sent you an email Racki, do as you wish with the article.

25. Grass&sOIL says:

zackman35:
    Sent you an email Racki, do as you wish with the article.

Can’t wait to read it!!! and also testing new username and pic

I actually haven’t received it yet… but it might be waiting in e-mail purgatory right now… it might take 5,10,20,30 minutes to get here..

Oh of course make sure you sent it to the website e-mail as opposed to my work e-mail that I’ve contacted you with from time to time. I’m sure it will come in sometime soon though.

LOL @ your new pick/nick M.O. … er.. G.S.

27. Grass&sOIL says:

Racki:

LOL @ your new pick/nick M.O. … er.. G.S.

MO was a better Short reference for sure but I just felt it was time for a change. Plus I am really getting into golf now. ugh I am getting Old now, 30 at the end of the month :(

I’d like to tell you that age is just a number, but from my experience, it’s all down hill from here. You’re just waiting until your funeral at this point! Highlights from here on out include: grey hair, hair loss, impotence, and pissing your pants uncontrollably. lol jk..

My new nickname for you is G&S (Gas)

(oh BTW, uncontrollable flatulence is also part of being 30+)

30. Grass&sOIL says:

Judging from the comments I get about my thick head of hair whenever I get a haircut I will not have to worry about balding. The Grey will be arriving shortly(based on my dad). I am used to hate it but I still get carded sometimes as I only look about 20, love it now!!! Hopefully the depends undergarments are at least 20 years away :)

Edit:
    G&S I love it and it still fits the Oilers theme!!!

Thanks MO/GS – Mogs! It didn’t really turn out like I thought it was going to, I wanted to make it a little more descriptive by I felt like I was far exceeding the limit :p

And that’s wierd Racki, you must get a lot of mail and I did send it to the POTF domain. Not your work. =p

LOL, I didn’t think you would have sent it to my work, but figured I’d check just in case. I don’t think I’ve had anyone here send me a message to that e-mail unless it was in replay to an e-mail I sent from there, but figured I’d double check.

Hmmm.. I wonder if it got blocked. Was it just all plain text? Or was there an attachment? You might want to send it again. Maybe also cc “potf at shaw dot ca”

33. oilinblood says:

I am now totally convinced in not drafting RNH. He is a feather and had poor form on the bench like he had never done it before. Scouts were looking at each other apparently. Doesnt speak to aspiring to be the best if you dont know how to train. most athletes train hard at 12 because…you know… they actually want to succeed. I remember being at hardcore and a kid of 13 was in there working core and strength for nearly 2 hours every day… thats pride and will to succeed.

He doesnt exist.

Huberdeau VS Landeskog. Landeskog had 2 months on him in the gym? Huberdeau only got Mem Cup MVP.

Larsson looked soft in the face and neck but VO2, Wingspan and 1st in test duration… and just resumed workouts in the last few weeks apparently. Defense oriented results; check and check.

Also a scout for Central confirmed my thoughts that players making big improovements will move up rankings and take out guys who are moving at steadier paces. He also stated the fact LArsson was steady even though he was injured. Played thru it like a pro with no one noticing.

How did Mika Zibanejad do? People were really dissapointed in Phillips apparently, havent heard why.

He made a falafel at the combine.

35. oilinblood says:

chucker: He made a falafel at the combine. My thoughts are well known. I think Larsson is the guy we end up getting. I also hope we can trade those other two picks for a top ten.

Yeah not many people i talk to about CHL hockey ever bought the RNH hype. Watch CHL all the time and yeah he bloomed a bit this year but not to a single one did they think it would carry over. Did he have the biggest year? Perhaps but he went out with a sigh when games got tough. sure looked good as a pp specialist though.

I have liked Larsson and i was vocal about Huberdeau being my pick for Centre, i have also talked about Landeskog since Oct/Nov. I am now torn… between Landeskog and Huberdeau I choose Huberdeau BUT even though i have been sold on Larsson since 2 years ago… Huberdeau moved up to a close 1b option. In my mind right now its sooo close. I dont think Lar, Lan, or Hubes will make it out of the top 5. If you want them you got to take them. I think we can get in the top 10 with a trade (columbus) but not top 5. If we get the colu pick than maybe i feel 100% on drafting Huberdeau, back to back MemCUP MVPs and grab BPA again at that Colu pick. If we cant get into top 10, than LArsson i feel is the pick bar none. As safe and secure as they come.

The only knock ANYONE ever says about the beast Hubert is that he has skill around him. Hall had the same knock. Just like Hall Hubert won MVP for being the best of the best.

Jeeze it got tough… like that 13 year old kid said to me in the gym when discussing his first few weeks of training (he was apparently barely 10 when he started).. he put on his best Martin Lawrence impression and said “this shit just got real”

Like i said quite a while ago…if it cost you all your picks this year to walk out with Larsson and Huberdeau…you do it.
    Fat chance now with the combine showing after a LONG ass season and MC MVP to show.
    If Tambi can get that Colorado pick. I will literally cry in joy.

As I’ve said time and time again, in Stu I trust. If I had to pick, I would say I would probably be most happy with Larsson. Like I’ve always said, I think that’s our biggest need. Having a calming presence (which I fully expect he will be one day) back there in the d-zone would be a huge factor. There are a lot of guys I’d be happy with here. If Stu thinks RNH has the best future, I’m fine with that too. The combine is definitely important.. but we’ve seen guys kill at the combine and be total duds, and vice versa. So you just don’t know.

Really though, I am pretty damn excited about this coming draft because of the two picks we have. I actually feel a lot better about the Penner trade even though I was happy with him here and thought we traded away a need. I hope they can upgrade LA’s pick to a higher pick too… but even at 19 there are still some good players available. Hell, even Edmonton-boy Mark McNeill is expected to go in that range. Time to get the chants going again.. :P He’s a big center (6’2″, 210) and he can fight.. and he put up pretty good numbers for Prince George this year (81 pts in 70 games… 2nd in scoring for the team). I don’t expect him to be the #1C though, so at that pick, it might not be the best choice.

Anyways, we stand to make off with TWO great picks this draft, potentially.

As for Huberdeau having “skill around him”… well, luckily if he came here, he’d have a lot of that here too :P

My favorites change with the wind, but Larsson is always up there.. #1 or #2. Bob McKenzie was saying that he thinks it will either be RNH or Larsson from his talks with the Oil.