Ryan Jones re-signed to 2-year deal with the Oilers

By , May 29, 2011 3:01 pm

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with forward Ryan Jones on a two-year contract.

Jones, 26, played in 81 games last year collecting 25 points (18G, 7A) and 34 penalty minutes. His 18 goals had him tied for second with Jordan Eberle on the team’s goal scoring list, four behind Taylor Hall’s team leading 22.

The 6’1″, 205-pound Chatham, Ontario native was claimed on waivers by Edmonton on March 3, 2010 and has appeared in 176 NHL games scoring 33 goals and adding 21 assists for 54 points with the Oilers and Nashville Predators.

Jones played four seasons with the Miami-University Redhawks of the CCHA where he had 147 points (90G, 57A) in 161 games before being drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the 4th round, 111th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft..

No word on salary yet though.. stay tuned.

Update at 11:15PM: Bob McKenzie states that it is in fact $1.5M per season for 2 years.

25 Responses to “Ryan Jones re-signed to 2-year deal with the Oilers”

1. MetalOil says:

Ryan Jones Signed for 2 more years!!! Can’t find any details yet. Hehe I even got a response from him on Twitter!!!

2. MetalOil says:

And now I am committed to buying a Ryan Jones retro Jersey as well as a Theo Peckham one. Peckham should be the next to sign!!!

Sports Closet in SP mall just tweeted that they are now having a 20% sale on Ryan Jones Jerseys for Jones Twitter Followers!!!

That is pretty sweet. I am happy that we got it done. I kinda don’t even care about salary at this point. lol But hopefully it was a good deal for both sides.

Took a long time but I’m happy that we signed him. Good story for a good guy like Jonesy, hopefully his contract is similar or less than Brules contract but since its only two years I guess it doesn’t matter as much anyways.

Since you mentioned it MO… I’m sure you saw this, but just in case:

@jonesry28 Send your followers over to Sports Closet in Sherwood Park Mall and we will give them 20% off a Jones jersey.

And also a small reminder that you can buy jerseys online here too to help support the site (although obviously no obligation… just making a shameless plug).

6. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    Since you mentioned it MO… I’m sure you saw this, but just in case:

I will buy the Peckham one from your link for sure when Teddy signs(knock on wood)!!! 20% off is too good to pass up for the Jones one :)

MetalOil: I will buy the Peckham one from your like for sure when Teddy signs(knock on wood)!!! 20% off is too good to pass up for the Jones one :)

Oh hell yes, I would fully expect you to buy the Jones one from them! And I have no idea if the price difference between NHL.com (our shop we use) and a store is big. Not sure which is better. But obviously if you’re getting a good deal elsewhere, go with that! :)

9. MetalOil says:

Something around $3M over 2 years seems very reasonable. If it went over $3.5M over the same two years then that would be my starting point of questioning it.

Glad Tambi got this done. Jone brought something that we need more of. Would have been a step back had we not re-signed him. At this point in the off-season, the Oilers have played their cards right. Re-signing Jones and letting Reddox go were both the right moves. If Tambi can just let JFJ, Stortini and MacIntyre go I’ll be happy.

Agreed, BostonOiler.

That, and he needs to put in a few more glue pieces. Perhaps a reliable D man, a 4th line PKing faceoff specialist, and maybe a rugged guy who can play hockey (a la Asham – a name that gets thrown around).

Although I’m still not 100% giving up on Stortini.. when used right, he’s a guy who can be effective… he doesn’t get scored on much at all either too. I think Renney is done with him though.

So as of right now our depth chart looks something like this for forwards?

Left: Hall, Paajarvi,
    Center: Horcoff, Gagner, Cogs,
    Right: Hemsky, Eberle, Jones,

Not really sure where to slot in Omark and Brule…

Ville Lieno is due for a raise and Philly has very little to no room and they still have to sign a handful of players on their roster. I’d figure they may let Carcillo or Powe guy in favor of Lieno which are two other guys we may want to keep our eyes on. As well as Aashom, Upshall, Konopka.

For guys with a little more skill we could look at Brook’s Liach or Micheal Ryder but they’ll probably sign with their respective teams since they’ll have the cap space. And would ST even consider signing a vet like Jason Arnott?

I’m hesitant to slot Cogliano at center. Let’s be honest… he’s a “center” because the Oilers are doing everything in their power to make him one.. but he hasn’t quite gotten there, if you ask me. Brule is definitely the better center though, but his health is a huge issue.

A vet like Arnott would be a great pick up though. I’m not sure on which line he’d play, but I think those are the types I’d keep an eye for… guys who can teach a thing or two while still managing to play quite well.

I’ll take a pass on Ryder, but the other names you mentioned are good thoughts.

Fantastic deal for both. Dude is a terrific guy and works his ass off. Agreed on Teddy Peckman.

Also, this is a small fish, but it is good to see such a positive and well followed NHLer want to be here. His twats should be great PR.

Jim Matheson says that Jones wouldn’t say how much the deal was for, but Matheson said it was “a little north of $2.7M”. Sounds perfect to me. And that is over the course of the term btw, so divide that by two to get his actual salary. Anywhere around the $1.5M mark is perfect.

16. Trogdor says:

Excellent news. Jones was great last year. One of the few bright spots and versatility to get bounced around. Ideally we won’t have the same injury issues next season though.

17. oilinblood says:

Racki: Tencer speculates it’s around the $3M over 2 years (i.e. $1.5M per), which sounds right and good to me. Anyways, glad to see the organization FINALLY sign a guy that we all wanted to keep here, even though he isn’t a star player. We were all pissed over Glencross (I see this as a similar case here) and some were pissed about Brodzillla. Good to see Tambellini get it right with Jones. Yah, he’s not a star, but it doesn’t mean we don’t want to keep him here. Go with what works.

Amen on all points.

18. Haboiler says:

I’m very glad Jonesy is coming back and 2 years at 1.5/per is a good increase but not over the top. Looking forward to seeing the RFA and UFA happenings as well as the draft. I have a feeling something decent will go down at the draft.

The thing I like about Jones is that he can play anywhere from the 2nd line to the 4th line, fairly effectively.

20. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Really reminds me of Greir with better goal scoring ability’s in some ways.

21. hemmerlady says:

Jonesy signed. Sweet. Go with the Flow.

Racki:

Come on…I like the guy but on a playoff team he shouldn’t be slotting in any higher than the 4th line

24. oilinblood says:

Racki: We aren’t a playoff team yet, so not too worried about that. I’d say he’s more of a third liner. As fire second line, I just ment he could fill in for a short stint if injuries happen and do ok. Wouldn’t want him there permanently though.

Exactly. At first glance Steve-O must have thought you meant Jonesy was a PERMANENT top 6 ability player. GlenX was a player that could fill in a top 6 role when needed due to injuries. Jones is much the same.
    Since Steve-O commented on playoffs i would point out that in the playoffs, even with a healthy line up, the strategy of the game itself might call for a player like Jones to move up into a top 6 role. If you are going to go deep it will rely heavily on the ability of the coaching staff to use their assets and adjust their lines and matchups to make the game as conducive to individual and team success.
    I would argue that GlenX and Jones can be moved up and handle those roles if the style of play in the competition fits what they as assets bring to the table for the team. In some series’ your top line will be taken to ineffectiveness. A good coach will use the assets he has to to try to respond and avoid his best players having minimal impact. If it means moving up a guy who can punish the defence on the cycle and fatigue the goalie a bit to create opposition mistakes and room for the other line players… so be it.
    Its a game within the game. MOst players and coaches realize success of lines and players will be altered game to game and series to series as strategies change. A good GM gives a coach the best assets he can, a good coach analyzes the opposition and type of play to then make a judgment on how to make each line and player most effective within the game and system happening out on the ice.

This is what i said in 06
    Detroit. – Yzerman Maltby and Holmstrom would win or lose the series. Yzerman scared me the most because his IQ was better than anyonelses on the ice but his ice time was cut substantially. Even so he WAS the most dangerous player of either team whenever he too the ice.
    Edmonton- At that time our defence was stacked in my opinion to the point that we could go with Sammy and Hemsky and Horc as long as Sammy and Hemmer didnt pull the competitive chute –which they didnt.

Against SJ it was a matter of SJ’s top 6 being better than ours but our defence could handle alot of pressure, our goaltending was better, and our bottom 6 was going to punish their d more over a long series.
    PLay of the series is Torres eliminating their top 6 advantage by knocking Michalek out of the playoffs. Top six was then even, their d was being battered, we had the better goaltending, our d seemed to be unaffected in any negative way and infact getting stronger.
    Our bottom lines brutally thought of just drilling players on the cycle and there was no real competition from SJ after game 5.
    At the end of the series …injury admissions came out. Half their d had broken bones, JT had a broken rib and back spasms from a hit as well as a shoulder issue they didnt get into further details about, Chechoo sustained an injury in game 5 that needed treatment for most of the summer.

VS Anaheim, we won every game versus them in the regular season. THat was before we got ROli. Checking line seemed to be the Ducks area of competitive advantage. In response Pisani Peca and Moreau were key to success in the series as they won that key battle.

Carolina didnt have an adavantage, they had domination on the 4th line matchup and Staios was proving to be the weakest link on d as Spacek was often having to make two different reads on plays, one read was what he had to do, the second read was if staios messes up what do i do then. People forget how rusty Roli looked in game 1 before he got hurt. I remember yelling at the TV to just pull him and rest him for game 2. I was hoping it would have two affects, get Roli out who was going down to early and not handling the puck well at all, and also make the Oilers tighten their play up. I also wanted Staios removed in favor of one of the numerous black aces. It was 3-1 if i remember when i first started debating with friends that they should pull him.
    Series Weight Recchi Williams depth vs our Dvorak MUrray and LAraque (no disrespect to those 3) I actually thought Dvorak and Murray did better than i had believed they would that series. Torres kept on the body, pisani and Peca won their line battle, Horcoff kept it close versus RodB – a matchup i figured hed lose flat out.

In every series it was a different line and system generating our competitive advantage. Its up to the Coach to be able to understand the opposition and employ a line up and system to put his assets in a successful situation.

Its the GMs job to provide coaches with a few versatile utility forwards who can augment certain parts of the team strategy and line up. Jones is one of those players and we need a few more.

25. neufab says:

Nice. I’m happy Jones stayed.