R.I.P. – Derek Boogaard

By , May 13, 2011 11:33 pm
Derek Boogaard - June 23, 1982 – May 13, 2011

Derek Boogaard - June 23, 1982 – May 13, 2011

A little behind on this, but I felt it necessary to make a post in respect of Derek Boogaard.

Let’s be honest. As Oilers fans… most of us hated this guy. I see it in your comments already.. “I hated him… but…” As for me, well, I’ll echo those sentiments. I hated him… but, I hated him because he did his job exactly how it was supposed to be played, when he was with Minnesota (I didn’t follow his career in New York, so I’m not sure how well he fared there). He wasn’t a skilled hockey player, by any sense… he knew his role though, and his type was a dying breed. Who could forget the number of times he steam-rolled one of our stars, and through them off their game… directing the attention to him, rather than goal scoring? It happened more times than I’d like to admit to. He was a damn good fighter too… huge… intimidating… and that’s how I’ll remember the Boogeyman. It’s always a tragedy to see someone pass at such an early age, whether you dislike them or not. And well, even though I “hated” Boogaard, there was always a respect there for what he does.

Now.. age 28. That will raise some questions. Out of respect, I won’t make any speculation, but there is an autopsy to be performed soon. I am interested in what the results of this are.

15 Responses to “R.I.P. – Derek Boogaard”

Yeah, for me, I really like all these guys. In hate when they play us, but I love how they embrace the role. Nobody did it better the last bunch of years to me. I want guys like him on my team. Too young.

2. hemmerlady says:

shit. That sucks. 28. Wow.

RIP Boogeyman. He may have not put up many tallies on the score sheet but he was very good at what he did.

4. MetalOil says:

I think all of this NHL wide outpouring of grief and offers of condolences in regards to Boogaard’s death just goes to show how much respect these enforcers have in and out of the game. We are so quick to label these guys as goons and many say these types of players serve the game no good but often these guys are some of the best and most caring people in the game and the are most active in the NHL community, Enforcers are usually the first ones to give up their time in hospitals visiting sick children and other charity endeavors, giving the league a better name & often without much recognition. If you liked him or hated him on the ice it does not matter. 28 is much too young of a age for anyone to pass by. R.I.P. Derek ” “Boogeyman” Boogaard.

5. dawgtoy says:

As an enforcer, he was too big and too strong. Now he leaves this world too young. R.I.P Boogeyman, I wanted the Oil to sign you last year, what a sight that would have been.

6. david says:

boys. dont. cry..

rest in peace derek boogyman boogaard….

~ david

7. Spartacus says:

Yeah, that was a pretty shocking headline to read.

It was one of those, “Wait, what?” moments that Norm MacDonald is always talking about.

I hate to post things like this at this time, because it might be unrelated, but this popped up in the NY post today. It doesn’t really say which substance he was in the program for though, so it could be unrelated. Also, everyone seems to speak highly of him off the ice though, so no matter the cause, it’s still a tragic and unexpected situation.

It does raise suspicions though. Also, the ME is not saying cause of death until they get the toxicology report. That makes me think a bit. If it was a brain aneurysm or heart attack, they would say so right away. Makes you wonder and also hope it was not a chem death.

EDI: If there is evidence of a heart attack and they suspect it was drug induced, they delay the findings due ti toxicology. Also if someone is on medications for mental health issues, they delay as well even if they find natural causes.

10. oilinblood says:

Hated the player. He finished his checks hard on all of our weak talent.
    That being said; everyone talks about how he was always working after practices on his many game weaknesses to become a more complete player. THen you have the teammates talking glowingly about his personality.
    It does make you wonder about the mental energy it takes to force a nice guy to turn violent and beat the crap out of someone for a game – or to target to injure others. He knows its his role and knows there is a purpose for it but that might not always make it right. I imagine it weighs heavily at times. At some points the realization must set in that long term and significant injuries take place from these matters and the conscience will weigh.

28. It is sad.

Yeah I agree. Tie Domi won’t even talk about it anymore. He doesn’t do any interviews anymore because he hates talking about his former role in the NHL.

News is that his death was accidental (and not that I’d be happy about a guy dying, but I am glad that it was accidental and not something else). Turns out he accidentally overdosed on a combination of alcohol and oxycodone.

More here

Not a great endorsement for the HHL substance abuse program.