Monday Morning Standings – Stanley Cup Finals

By , May 31, 2011 4:29 pm

I watched a bunch of tennis on the weekend...you have no idea how difficult it was to find a pic where they didn't have a stupid look on their face.

Well, the third round is done and the Canucks are still in this…which sucks for me. That organization just makes me upset, with their fans being douches (granted, not all of them but it’s been noticed that most other teams fans cheer “Lets go home team” and they cheer “Visiting team sucks”), their management are a bunch of whiny bitches and Kesler keeps diving.

Anyway, its going to be Vancouver vs. Boston and I hope the Bruins lay a pounding on them. I’m calling Bruins in 6 (please please please).

Oilers signed Jones. Much rejoicing was had by the fans. Although his above average shooting percentage worries me, I’m pretty happy with the deal.

Winnipeg now has a NHL team again. Edmonton no longer is the shittiest city to live in.

St. John Sea Dogs won the memorial cup, with Huberdeau winning the tourney MVP. Congrats to them.

AHL Calder cup is still underway, with the Houston Areos and the Binghamton Senators tied 1 – 1.

As for the pools, I’d place the results in here but work has deemed all fantasy sports to be gambling and therefore off limits. So either someone can post the results in the comments, or I’ll try to do it later tonight.

39 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Stanley Cup Finals”

1. MetalOil says:

The last time I picked the Bruins in a sweep it happened(against Flyers in round 2) I feel compelled to predict this once again. Bruins in 4!!!

About Ryan Jone’s shooting percentage I found this post by David S on ON and it actually makes a lot of sense:

“If you listen to his interview on Tencer’s site, Jones makes a really good point. Most of the angst about his scoring is that it comes at the expense of an unsustainable shooting percentage. The problem is (as Jones points out), shooting percentages only work for shooters.

He gets most of his goals in and around the blue paint which aren’t really shots, rather deflections, tip-ins, shoveling one under the goalie and bounces off shinpads/asses. And they all count just the same as the guy who rips ‘em from the top of the circle or in the slot.

People are judging his success as if he’s a lucky shooter. He’d argue he’s making his own luck by going to the net and taking out the garbage”

Damn, when did you sneak this post in? I didn’t even notice.

MO: good note about Jones’ shooting percentage. Just one of the reasons that I think stats guys can suck it, sometimes. While I do use stats from time to time, I find that some guys hang it all on stats and can’t think outside of those numbers.

3. hemmerlady says:

Does this mean Byfuglien will eventually be in our division? That might not be good (for us). Unless he jumps ship (no idea where he is in his contract).

Liked the Jones post – good point. Sometimes numbers do lie.

4. MetalOil says:

Just to be clear none of those were my comments. All from David S on ON. I just really agree with them.

About using stats some ppl are using stats to show that Peckhams teammates suffer when he is on the ice(18 of 21 players scoring chances were better without Theo Peckham on the ice). Peckham is not the type of player who is out there to make his teammates better. He is the type of sandpaper type of player that every team needs (why do you think he was keep on the roster after a not so great TC? Because they did not want to lose this type of player on waivers is why)and if you wanna use stats against him then I will provide ones for him that show his true contribution to the team.

-Lead the Oilers in PM(by far) with 198(3rd in NHL)
    -Lead the Oilers in Hits with 196(22nd in NHL)
    -2nd on the team(To Tom Gilbert*) in blocked shot with 123(64th in the NHL)

So that is NHL top 75 in 3 category’s(top 25 in 2)

5. hemmerlady says:

shit, meant to post in General. My bad.

As penance, and also because I am an Oiler fan and therefore like pain:

SNET Pool:

1- Zackman (die): 183
    2- gr8one: 178
    3- BringBackKlima: 175
    4- Racki: 172
    5- mrgod2u: 169
    6- sln0069, whoever that is: 164
    7- hemmerlady: 163 (!@#$#)
    8- Crott: 154
    9- Chucker: 142
    10- geaner: 123
    11- dawgtoy: 82

NHL (HL’s) pool
    1. zackman (die in a fire with scorpions) – 208
    2. HL – 184
    3. M&O* – 66
    4. Steveo* – 10
    4. Racki* – 10

*could not make picks in Round 3 due to a technical fuckup.

I would like to point out at this stage that Tampa let me down. HL is not impressed.

MetalOil:

Yah I caught that.

HL: OH YAHHHHH…#4 in the HL pool!!!! *high five’s Steve-O*

Btw, Steve-O is sln0069

7. MetalOil says:

hemmerlady:
    shit, meant to post in General. My bad.

As penance, and also because I am an Oiler fan and therefore like pain:

SNET Pool:

1- Zackman (die): 183
    2- gr8one: 178
    3- BringBackKlima: 175
    4- Racki: 172
    5- mrgod2u: 169
    6- sln0069, whoever that is: 164
    7- hemmerlady: 163 (!@#$#)
    8- Crott: 154
    9- Chucker: 142
    10- geaner: 123
    11- dawgtoy: 82

NHL (HL’s) pool
    1. zackman (die in a fire with scorpions) – 208
    2. HL – 184
    3. M&O* – 66
    4. Steveo* – 10
    4. Racki* – 10

*could not make picks in Round 3 due to a technical fuckup.

Yeah I am BBK in 3rd place but I just lost half my roster. Those damn Canucks.

8. hemmerlady says:

curious, can any of you make picks in my pool in Round 4?

9. MetalOil says:

I put mine in today with no probs

10. MetalOil says:

MetalOil:

About using stats some ppl are using stats to show thatPeckhams teammates suffer when he is on the ice(18 of 21 players scoring chances were better without Theo Peckham on the ice). Peckham is not the type of player who is out there to make his teammates better. He is the type of sandpaper type of player that every team needs (why do you think he was keep on the roster after a not so great TC? Because they did not want to lose this type of player on waivers is why)and if you wanna use stats against him then I will provide ones for him that show his true contribution to the team.

-Lead the Oilers in PM(by far) with 198(3rd in NHL)
    -Lead the Oilers in Hits with 196(22nd in NHL)
    -2nd on the team(To Tom Gilbert*) in blocked shot with 123(64th in the NHL)

So that is NHL top 75 in 3 category’s(top 25 in 2)

So Really stats never do tell the whole story on a player.

I don’t care what stats guys say about Peckham. I love him too. He’s a physical force on the blueline… we need that as much as we need the offensive puck-moving defenseman.

Honestly, the stats hoors drive me nuts sometimes. I think David Staples is probably one of few “stats guys” that I do like.. probably mostly because a lot of the stats that he uses are based on his observations. It’s not a simple “this guy is -30, therefore he sucks”… it’s a case of “this guy made XX # of errors, therefore he’s not helping the team”. That’s a better way of doing things than just looking at numbers and making assumptions. we know what Uma Thurman says about people who make assumptions!

No, and I was just pointing out a concern that is out there (basically, can he produce going forward or was this season an anomaly), but stats can bring up issues that normally are not noticed. The example I keep going back to would be Schremp, sure he had 145 points that last year in London, however most of those (I think about 2/3rds) came on the powerplay where it is known that London keeps out their top PP’ers for practically the entire 2 min. So while he had 145 points, most of those were at PP which indicates he’s not as good as *insert other player here with 100 points* when most of those where at evens.

That Schremp comment makes sense, but it also is the one criticism against RNH… haven’t you been plugging him for our #1 pick? (granted, I haven’t heard your comments on that in a while)

Racki:

Landeskog still.

Edit: I think the Oilers are going to pick the Nuge, but I want Landeskog

15. MetalOil says:

I am a little bit between what Racki is saying and what Steve-O is saying. Sure stats can be useful and all but they do not mean the world. If you get out shot in a game say 41-21 but win the game 2-1 does it really matter? Who knows those extra 20 shots could have all been floaters from the blueline with no traffic in front of the net and some fans would still be screaming that X team was so lucky to win that game getting out shot by Y team like that. Having better goaltending is not luck ether in my books. I agree on David Staples too.

I don’t like the error stat Staples brings up because of 2 reasons, 1) being a bias to favorite players and 2) possible hockey tactics.

Examples of both: Gilbert throws the puck up the boards. Viewer one hates his guts, calls him a pussy and marks him down with the primary error. Viewer 2 likes him, says no forwards gave him an outlet and he had no choice due to pressure to throw it up the boards (better than up the middle right?). In that scenario, same play, two different looks at what happened.

So long as someone is making a judgement call, I don’t really like it (and you can say your not biased, but it will impact what you see).

Example of 2: As a tactic, the team is supposed to be playing zone D, and as such a forward disengages his player to be passed off to the D man. D man doesn’t pick him up and dude scores. Someone not privy to that defensive tactic by the team will probably assign the error to the forward when it should be the defense that gets it. Stuff like that.

Plus/minus is no better, however it has no bias. But I’m pretty sure it’s the stat that caused this whole stat-based tracking of the game as everyone agrees it doesn’t work.

Yeah, those Schremp stats remind me of RNH.

18. MetalOil says:

Steve-O:

Example of 2: As a tactic, the team is supposed to be playing zone D, and as such a forward disengages his player to be passed off to the D man.D man doesn’t pick him up and dude scores.Someone not privy to that defensive tactic by the team will probably assign the error to the forward when it should be the defense that gets it.Stuff like that.

Plus/minus is no better, however it has no bias.But I’m pretty sure it’s the stat that caused this whole stat-based tracking of the game as everyone agrees it doesn’t work.

Not sure but I think he has guidelines for what qualifies as a good play and what qualifies as a bad one. Not too sure but that is what I would at least do to to protect against favoritism but you are right Steve-O, no system is fool proof and the ones judging the players are prone to making mistakes on whether something is a mistake or not.

19. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Yeah, those Schremp stats remind me of RNH.

My primary concern too.

Steve-O:

This argument has been done to death, so I’m not going to really go there. I don’t mind a bit of subjectivity. It’s an opinion, so it should have some subjectivity to it. Stats unfortunately only tell a part of the picture and are only as good as the person interpreting them. I personally just don’t think you can rate a player based on their stats alone without doing a lot of watching of the games to help you confirm/deny what the stats say. I don’t expect to convince you that anymore than I expect you to convince me stats are the end all be all… so I will just leave it at that. Stats guys will likely always be stats guys, and the “watch the game” guys will always be that way.

Oh OK, I will contribute one thing to the argument, damn it….

The whole argument about tactics… “stats” don’t understand tactics either. Nor do they understand things like a guy being abandoned by his d-partner… another player making a bad line change, etc. Or at the very least, people don’t get anywhere NEAR granular enough with stats to account for that stuff either.

I’d sooner trust a strong Oil blogger’s knowledge of the game over a stat’s understanding of the things I mentioned above.

Oh and one more comment, which isn’t an argument against stats…

I actually don’t hate all stats. There are some stats I don’t mind. You still need some observation in there too, but I like some of the more advanced stats like “qual comp / qual team”. There still are flaws there too though.

22. MetalOil says:

I like what Darren Deutschen just said on Sportscenter. “with how much traveling the Winnipeg team will do next year the Jets would be the most fitting name” :P Too bad Flyers is taken.

23. MetalOil says:

This is the closest that Vancover will ever come to the Oilers 5 cups:

LOL nicely done.

HL: Looks like I caught fire :razz:
    MO: Brilliant pic.

I might not thrive in the regular season but I usually fair well in the playoffs :p I hope Boston crushes the Nuckleheads.

Huberdeau may have had quite a performance but I’m not sure if that will make him qualify in the top three. It sounds like that Larsson and RNH are in a class of their own and Landeskog may not have the offensive upside that a lot of these guys in the top eight have but he has the leadership and physical size of an NHL player. I’m not sure where Huberdeau will land but I don’t think he’ll last too long after Florida or the Islanders.

Darnit! I really with there was a way we could draft Larsson and Couturier/Strome or even RNH.

Looks like Colin Campbell is stepping down.

Interesting that Shanny might take over. I think that’s a great idea, myself. Campbell took a lot of heat lately, what with all the seemingly random suspension criteria, and the e-mails with Walkom and such. Time for someone else to give it a go, and I think Shannahan will do a great job as replacement, if he gets in there. I kind of have a feeling that he’ll come down heavy on guys, but he should be fair though.

Canpbell’s time was up. He just has been there too long. His suspensions were inconsistent and he just needs a change. He did his job, now it is time for new energy and somebody closer to the “new game”.

29. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    LOL nicely done.

2 girls, 1 cup also come to mind but I ain’t gonna get into that any further.

30. hemmerlady says:

I have never looked upon a hockey game with dread and panic before this very evening. If you can pull out the win somehow, Boston, I’d really appreciate it. I don’t really want the Bs to win either though.

I want to go back to being excited to watch a playoff game. I like hockey. :'(

I actually have no hatred at all for the Bruins… whereas I hate Heatley on the Sharks, all of the Canucks, and a handful of the Lightning (due to the Omark thing). So really, the Bruins winning the cup was the best case scenario for me, as of the conference finals.

Diving (or a sniper…could be a sniper in the crowd), finger biting, whining, fans who are asshats…gotta love “Canada’s” team…sigh, come on Bruins

And anyone else getting sick of Hughson, Simpson and Healy actively cheering for the Canucks?

33. mrgod2u says:

I was just looking at my stupid pick for the pool. Why do I always allow myself to pick up Sharks players? Why don’t I ever learn? Fricking chokers, the only thing they can win is a Choke-off against the Canucks.

mrgod2u:

35. hemmerlady says:

Racki: I forgot that round 3 and 4 are tied together.. i took a mix of all 4 teams. Dur. I think I loaded on TB players too, so I’m screwed. lol

I did the same, if that makes you feel any better. Totally screwed.

36. hemmerlady says:

Boston, you are crapping the bed. Guys (and LNOF) – My really bad feeling about this is worsening…I hate the statistic 4-42 for teams that go down 2-0 in the SCF. This is not good. I don’t know how much more obnoxious Canucks fans can be but I fear I’m about to find out.

~Almost time to break out the age-old “we have 5 cups” argument.~ :P

Honestly – this is painful just watching – it’s really sloppy hockey and I’m still PO’d that Tampa lost (yes I know, deal with it). I can’t decide which team I dislike the most. So at the risk of alienating my POTF friends, especially those of you who live in Vancouver (sorry HL!), let’s just get it over with as fast as possible. Go Nucks.