MMS – Post Round 2 edition

By , May 13, 2011 10:15 am
Julianna Guill - IMDB tells me she started in a Friday the 13th movie

Julianna Guill - IMDB tells me she started in a Friday the 13th movie

Happy Friday 13th, everyone. Steve-O is away on vacation right now (in Mexico… there is a good chance he is currently being finger-banged by a Federale right now). So today, I present you with the MMS. Now, MMS once stood for Monday Morning Standings, but tradition has shown that these things never appear on Mondays… and who am I to break up tradition? Plus, with it being the playoffs, we decided we’d only release one MMS per round. So here it is… enjoy.

Conference Finals Match-Ups

So round 2 has wrapped up, and here are your conference final match ups:
Vancouver (1) vs. San Jose Sharks (2)
Boston Bruins (3) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (5)

The Vancouver-San Jose series kicks off on Sunday at 6PM MST and the Boston-Tampa Bay series starts tomorrow at 6PM MST. Both games will be televised by CBC.

I’ll throw out my predictions here:
My gut tells me the Vancouver Canucks in 6.. although I’m hoping the San Jose Sharks win.
Tampa Bay Lightning in 5.

Speaking of predictions, don’t forget! Get your picks in for the next round of the Sportsnet pool as well as the NHL.com playoff prediction pool. The deadline is tomorrow for the Sportsnet pool. Thanks to work blocking pool sites (fuck you, work web filter), I can’t see the time for the deadline, but I’d get your picks in ASAP. Ditto on the NHL.com pool.

Winnipeg NHL Team News

Recent reports have said that the Phoenix Coyotes aren’t going anywhere, at least for another year. According to the Associated Press: “The Glendale City Council has voted to pay the NHL US$25 million in arena operating costs to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Arizona for another season while the prolonged attempt to sell the troubled franchise goes on.”

However, fret not, Winnipeg-franchise backers. It is sounding more and more likely that the Atlanta Thrashers are in big risk of being moved (and of course the most likely destination would be none other than Winnipeg). The Atlanta Spirit Group (the ownership group of the Thrashers) is having troubles finding anyone to purchase the team and keep it within Atlanta. As it stands, the most likely scenario is that they move to Winnipeg.

I have to admit, I like Atlanta moving to Winnipeg a lot more than I do Phoenix. If Phoenix could some how tough it out, I think it’s better for the league in the sense that it needs to hang on to teams out west. That said, obviously they can’t be keeping this team afloat for long. They’ve got to go if they don’t improve their financial situation significantly. But I just hope that they do manage to turn things around, and Winnipeg still gets a franchise moved there (hopefully in the form of Atlanta) so we can keep a better balance of teams between west and east.

And lead us not into temptation

There could come the temptation for Canadians to embrace the Vancouver Canucks as “Canada’s Team”. But let’s not forget that this is the same team that employees douchebag extraordinaires Ryan Kesler and Alexandre Burrows. The same team that retired a “7th man” jersey because of the team’s lack of historical splendor…. I’ll try not to tear into the names hanging from their rafters, but let’s face it, they don’t compare to the greats that were here. This is the team that has never won a cup… let’s keep it that way. For us Oiler fans, the only thing we got going for us is our proud history in which we can say we’ve won 5 cups. It’s likely time for us to all move on. The Canucks organization is quite good. But cheer for them, I will not. As Dan Tencer so eloquently twatted today: “The San Jose Sharks are now Canada’s team.” Indeed.

Canada knocked out of the Worlds

Canada was eliminated from the Worlds (and it sounds like they now finish fifth) by Russia yesterday. This is the 2nd year in a row without a medal. Bob Nicholson, President of Hockey Canada, is mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore. Disappointment in this year’s turnout is what has fueled his anger the most. Read more here.

22 Responses to “MMS – Post Round 2 edition”

1. mrgod2u says:

Go Sharks, then go Lightning! Let’s get Roli a cup!!!

Seriously I don’t want the ‘nucks anywhere near that cup, and that douchebag Heatley either.

It would be awesome if the Thrashers came West, not only would we have less travel in the NW (Winnepeg compared to Colorado) but the shift would knock one of the Eastern time zone teams over… Probably Detroit, Nashville, or Columbus..?

As far as team Canada losing… I think that whole tournament is terrible and hurts the NHL. You have the best guys from our worst teams competing (and risking injury) at the end of the season when they should be healing. Then every round new losers get airlifted in and take their roster spots. Any touranment considered a “world championship” should have the best players from the world, but for the most part, those guys are busy playing real hockey that matters. Let the Olympics decide who is best (oh wait it already has).

Yah I agree on Healtey not getting it too.

Quite frankly, the only team that I don’t hate people on is the Bruins.

Sharks -> Heatley
    Canucks -> Everyone?
    Tampa Bay Lightning -> The douches that bitched about the Omark goal.

I do want Roli to win a cup though, if for nothing more than to rub it into Tambellini’s face what an MVP looks like.

3. Trogdor says:

Lack of full rosters or not in the Worlds, it’s good for one of our young fellas to get a taste of success and enjoy winning again. GO MAGNUS!

As for predictions, I’ll go with the Bruins and the Sharks. Canucks haven’t looked great and have had time off so they may come out slow and I think the Bruins size will crush the Lightning. Bonus prediction, Steve-O will come back pink and reeking of tequila.

4. mrgod2u says:

yeah, I picked the bruins in all my pools but I am rooting for the Bolts… Seeing as my cheering for teams has been as lucky for them as breaking a mirror with a black cat while walking under a ladder… We’ll prolly see the Bruins and the Canucks.

Trogdor:
    Lack of full rosters or not in the Worlds, it’s good for one of our young fellas to get a taste of success and enjoy winning again.GO MAGNUS!

As for predictions, I’ll go with the Bruins and the Sharks.Canucks haven’t looked great and have had time off so they may come out slow and I think the Bruins size will crush the Lightning.Bonus prediction, Steve-O will come back pink and reeking of tequila.

You would think the guy would have learned when he was burned so bad he had to go to the hospital in Hawaii, but it sounds like he’s up to his old tricks!

6. dawgtoy says:

If Bergeron is injured the B’s could be in trouble. ABC has been replaced by ABV, Anybody But Vancouver. San Jose / Tampa would be the series I’d like to see the most.

7. hemmerlady says:

Pool deadlines:
    SNET – Pick Deadline: 8:00 PM ET on Saturday, May. 14, 2011
    HL is taking a bath in that one.

NHL (HL’s pool) – Pick Deadline: before the beginning of the first game of each series (i.e. Sunday before 8pm ET for the Nucks-Sharks)

I have to say that Kesler has been playing unbelievably well (i.e. carrying the team) – seems folks are not big fans of his tho.

I think the series will go to Vancouver. I hope the Bolts will take their series. Go Roli Go.

8. John says:

If the Sharks can’t beat Van then at least they can hopefully batter & bruise the shit outta them so Roli (I mean Tampa lol) or Boston have a chance to leave The Twins standing & crying at the alter where the ‘Nucks deserve to be ;)

9. Ktown says:

hemmerlady:

Don’t give in just yet, HL. I think San Jose is the team that will deliver us from our suffering. IMO this is the first really hot team that Vancouver has had to play, and a near-miss against Chicago, and the comedy of errors vs. Nashville doesn’t scream playoff domination to me.

Vancouver took the season series 3-1, but one of those wins was in November, another in early January (when the Sharks weren’t quite the Sharks). One of those wins was by a goal, and then they split a pair of SO games.

Despite their faltering a bit against the Wings, I think the Sharks have been pretty good so far. I’m expecting them to take this in 6 (5 if they play like they did against Detroit for the first few games). The Sharks have depth and scoring this season – two things the ‘Nucks haven’t faced in one team yet.

I’m keeping the faith… much to my wife’s (plus father and mother in law’s) chagrin.

10. oilinblood says:

I never liked Marleau. HE always was a name that came up on the OMB but i hated any thought of having him. Thanks to tsn i have a stat to go with it. According to tsn Marleau has been a part of 16 game 6’s and 7’s. For those 16 games combined he had 1 assist for 1 total point. Also according to the analyst it was an assist where the puck banked off him to joe T who put it in. The goal the other night wasnt exactly much better… he avoided contact, came from a soft area, and tapped in a loose puck. JR is a dick…but likely correct.

As much as i hate VAn i dont see much of a test in SJ. I can reat easy knowing either East team is deeper and better than the Nucks.

Argh… can anyone direct me to the URL for the NHL.com pool? I try logging in, and it seems to be redirecting me to creating a new team.

12. hemmerlady says:

Racki: http://playoffschallenge.nhl.com/playoff_challenge?locale=en
    I was having some serious trouble logging in – might have been the last firefox upgrade, now it won’t take my username, only my email address. WTF.

It keeps just saying for me to create my entry… i.e. enter a team name. I already did that last round. Do you have to create an entry round to round? Shouldn’t it carry over? I can’t seem to get my old entry back :(

14. steveo in mexico says:

No federales or bad burns here. Must say watching hockey in +35 is pretty awesome. Can’t log into the cbc pools but im picking bruins and san jose both to win in 6. Solid pic for mms girl

Regardless of who wins in the third round I want the East to take the cup this year. I found myself routing for Detroit when they were down three games to none and that didn’t really work out, I would have loved to see them defeat the Nucks. The only Canadian team I want to see the cup is the Oilers, I don’t want “X” team to end the Canadian SC drought because we will never hear the end of it.

Ex. 1
    A:The Oilers played a killer hockey game beating (on the score clock and physically) “Canadian Team” 8-0!
    B: Yeah but we ended the Canadian SC drought!
    A: :/ … We have more cups than your team though… (not Toronto/Montreal)
    B: How many years ago was that
    A: STUMPED

Ex. 2
    A: Oilers win the cup!!!!
    B: Our team ended the Canadian SC drought!!!

Well if the Oilers won the cup I wouldn’t care about the other team winning the cup but it would be that much sweeter if we ended the drought.

16. hemmerlady says:

Racki:

You shouldn’t have to…it should show you the results from the last round (i.e. what you screwed up, like the stupid Wings blowing it), and then say Save Picks with the next round teams there. According to my League standings, you’re still in but haven’t made your picks yet. Don’t know what’s up.

Unfortunately I have to bow out of that pool… for some reason I couldn’t get past what I was saying earlier… logged in with a couple common e-mails I use, and both just tell me to create a new team or whatever. Bummer. That one is the kind of easy pool (maintenance wise, for us all) I was looking to run here, so next year I’ll get on it earlier and figure out what I’m doing. lol

18. hemmerlady says:

…yeah that was the reason. J/k. :) I don’t know why it was telling you to create a new team?? That doesn’t even make sense. Oh well, next time. I think you weren’t the only one having technical probs, unfortunately. The narrow deadline meant most people missed making their picks anyway.

19. dawgtoy says:

Nope HL I was having the identical problems, I could log on, but couldn’t find the pool. Just kept asking to start a new team???

20. hemmerlady says:

Bizarre…what new team? I don’t get it. A new league?
    Might be between me and Zackman by default. (Unfair! Fix! Fix!) :)

Yah I don’t get what went wrong, because as far as I know, I was a part of the last round.

22. MetalOil says:

Anyone else just a lil bit concerned about how the draft is being held at Xcel Energy Center in Minnesota? Maybe we should just trade our 1st overall? :)