Quick hits – 2011/04/21

By , April 21, 2011 12:03 pm

2011 NHL Entry Draft notes and more..

Some 2011 NHL Entry Draft notes and more..

Just a few quick notes on some articles I saw today on the Edmonton Journal website.

Adam Larsson

First, Adam Larsson. I like that he’s done his research. He of course knows his fellow Swede countrymen are here (Paajarvi and Omark, plus likely Lander soon). But he knows the history, our 5 cups, and the new players like Taylor Hall. He sounds like he would be genuinely happy to be here, and I like the kids attitude.

Sean Couturier

On to Sean Couturier, in which Jim Matheson addresses a question about Couturier dropping in draft rank. There wasn’t a lot here, but I just thought it interesting that Matheson mentioned that the Oilers likely wouldn’t draft Couturier because they are more interested in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Adam Larsson. I can’t say that the Oilers would tip their hand to a journalist as to who they will draft, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do get a good read about these things. I think the media had a good feeling the Oilers were leaning towards Taylor Hall too. God, this draft can’t come soon enough….

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

On Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in an article in which Ken Hitchcock debunks the concerns surrounding Nugent-Hopkins’ size. In the same article, Matheson also mentions that he thinks Brent Burns will be made available for trade. Here’s a quote from that: “It seems crazy that the Wild would move defenceman Brent Burns, but they likely don’t want to pay him $5 million in a new deal when his contract runs out after next season, so they will toss his name out there at the draft.” I have to say that I’ve always thought Brent Burns would one day be a hell of a defenseman. The Oilers would be wise to take a stab at a trade. It might be a way to land the star-caliber defenseman we need without using up our top draft pick.

Oil Change

Tonight the final episode (presumably) of Oil Change airs on TSN at 5:30PM MST. Dubbed “End of the Beginning”, this episode appears to shed some light on what the organization will do with some of the contracts on the team this year and decide who stays and who goes.

35 Responses to “Quick hits – 2011/04/21”

Thuggish Oil Kings forward Cameron Abney has received an Entry Level Contract with the Oilers today. I would have to assume he’ll be in OKC next year.

Nice. I’m a big Abney fan for obvious reasons. The kid can play too. I hope to see him on the big club in a year or two.

EDIT: Also, Bieksa is an UFA this summer. I know he’s all dirty with Canuck, but he’s exactly the type of D man we need IMHO.

On Bieksa, it would be tough to get over the tainted-Canuck smell, but I’d love to have him here too.

As for Abney, I haven’t seen him a LOT or anything, but when I did, he seemed like he was a bit of a knuckle-dragger. Not much in the way of skating ability. I wouldn’t really expect much of him at the NHL level, to be honest. Hard to say though. But damn, can he fight though. Feared in the Dub.

4. Philip Chin says:

Now that both Larsson and RNH had mentioned that it’s cool if they could play for the Oilers. That would make tough for the Oilers to choose now who is the ONE come draft day! Maybe the bap would be the way for the Oilers…………between these 2 elite players…..for either one could be a future franchise player.

Yah Philip, that’s the way I see it. Larsson definitely fits a need (in a defenseman)… RNH is potentially arguable in being a need, in that there is a possibility he doesn’t slot at C at the NHL level. But still, I would definitely go with the best player available, as you said.

Tough call. Big strapping D man with skills or a highly skilled forward being compared to Sakic and Datsyuk. Tough to go wrong also.

I think I’m completely off the RNH bandwagon until at least draft combine when I can learn a little more about him, still though it will be a pretty tough job to convince me the Oilers need another small skilled forward.

Choices Regarding Position
    Center: 1st) Couturier, 2nd) Strome
    Wings: 1st) Landeskog
    Defense: 1st) Larsson 2nd) Hamilton

Speaking about them Nucks’ how about that choke tonight?!

8. John says:

So just throwing this out; the Oil trade a 3rd pick to Van for the bargaining rights for Bieksa, trade Tuebert to Minny for Burns, then pick Larsson #1 @ the draft. That would instantly upgrade our current Dcorp as well as adding depth for the next few years. Of course that would mean skidding Struds & moving Foster for a pick but I’d be cool with that :)

9. dawgtoy says:

IMO, RNH is the BPA and fills a MAJOR need. He appears to be a playmaking center who tend to make those around him better. He relies on his speed, vision and hockey sense. He is defensively reliable and aware of his role at both ends of the rink. His coach feels he’s the real deal, and a very reliable Ken Hitchcock states size should be a non factor. He s likely a year away, but who could have predicted Skinner? The future would see him on a line with Hall. Put a goal scorer with a playmaker and add all that up with top end speed, and my friends you have a first line for years to come. My opinion is that RNH was a one trick pony on a fairly weak Rebels team that was over reliant on their star. The Oil Kings did a poor job of containing him, the Tigers did a great job. Add a bout of terrible goaltending and the Rebels look to next year.
    Oil fans are a passionate, intelligent, and hockey educated group that in many cases have a very strong understanding of the game. We can also be our own worst enemy because of this. Last year I felt Seguin should have been our selection, but so far would appear to be incorrect. Hall was the BPA, and we are the better for making the right choice. Given all things being equal, RNH fills BPA and need. Over-analysis will make many second guess, and look to others to fill the bill, but if we choose first …. with the first selection in the 2011 entry draft, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select, from the Red Deer Rebels, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

After Racki/Chucker pointed it out, I mentioned this in another thread,

zackman35:
    I think Kane had a much better junior career than RNH had or will ever have. I’ve read some comparisons (I think at Oilers Nation) and it mentioned how Kane was much more impressive than RNH 5×5 and just flat out statistically Kane was a better player. Although I think the London Knights were quite stacked that year and I think that was the year that Kane/Gags were on the same team/line? Look at these draft year stats…

RNH 31 – 75 – 106PTS
    Gags 35 – 83 – 118PTS
    Kane 62– 83 -145PTS

This is what I worry about quite a bit, RNH may not have as good of line mates as the Knights had that year but still he got a considerable amount of ice time and a lot of PP time. Even as good as Kane and Gags were in juniors they are still not elite (Kane may be Pseudo-elite). Anyways, RNH has decent height but his build, unless he is an extremely late bloomer, he doesn’t shout out I’m going to have Sidney Crosby Quadrosaurus Rex Quads, or any type of bulky build. Like Racki mentioned, all of the top centers in the west with the exception of Ribero are either over 6′ 200lbs+ or like 5’10 190lbs+.

If Stu and his team choose RNH first overall I’ll be pretty damn excited because he must be one hell of an exceptional player (he is good but every time I’ve seen him but he’s not a “holy shit he has the puck, here comes a goal-or assist in his case”). I’m still curious to see what happens at the combine and how his body is interpreted, that will make or break him as an Oiler I think. Taking the time to look up the top centers in the west, well all of them for that matter, move over Chucker, I’m boarding the Couturier train/bandwagon for top center pick.

I think this draft will come down to or Couturier/Larrson.

EDIT: I guess that is in the context if the Oilers draft for center. RNH could move to wing but then again so could Gagner.

Can you imagine RNH facing off against big Joe or Getzlaf? Here are some numbers on some of the top forwards at even strength.

Lowetide:
    With all of the discussion surrounding RNH and when he posts crooked numbers (mostly on the PP) I thought it might be a good idea to place all of the top forward prospects on a line. Below is a list of the prospects we`re discussing as possible lottery picks (forwards only) and their even strength numbers during the 10-11 season.

It`s an interesting list:

Jonathan Huberdeau 67gp, 27-43-70 1.04
    Ryan Strome 65gp, 22-42-64 .985
    Sean Couturier 58gp, 23-32-55 .948
    Gabriel Landeskog 53gp, 24-23-47 .887
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 69gp, 20-27-47 .681

Huberdeau plays on a stacked QMJHL team (I`m all agog to see them at the Memorial Cup) and Landeskog looks much better using these numbers.

Dawg: I’m all for the Oilers drafting the BPA, and hope they do, whether it’s Larsson, RNH, or someone else. I’m just skeptical that RNH will play center at the NHL level. But who knows. Really though, either way… what I’ve been saying for a bit now is that doesn’t matter. Just draft the best guy. If he’s small like the rest of our players… well we can fix that through a trade, but you don’t want to end up drafting Pouliot because you’re scared of Parise being too small, right? ;)

Really though, I’m just saying, don’t expect RNH to fill the top line center need at all. It might happen, but in my very unprofessional opinion, unless he somehow beefs up, I bet he ends up a winger in the NHL (but likely a very, very good one).

We’ll see though. I’m not in charge of drafting, so it doesn’t matter what I think… I’m an “in Stu I trust” guy. Whomever he drafts will be the BPA, I’m sure.

12. dawgtoy says:

“Outstanding vision, Superior stickhandler, Exceptional playmaker,Leadership abilities, Scintillating skater.”

You see winger in there based on he’s too small? In everything I’ve read so far, not one person has stated that he would likely be better suite playing as a winger. If that is your opinion, you have that right, but based on what I’ve seen and read, I must respectfully disagree. What lies in the future, nobody can predict, but to me a line that has RNH as a center ,and Hall on the wing….that could be magic the likes we haven’t seen in a long long time.

13. hemmerlady says:

@Zackman: it was a spectacular choke. Nucks fans are beside themselves. …that’s a shame :D

Re: Drafting
    -Hard to say what the best choice would be. Last year I was sold on Hall being the choice because of his experience and chemistry playing with Eberle, as well as his being #1. I’m really on the Larsson bandwagon. It would be so great to draft a D-man that turns out to be a clutch player we need so badly in that position. I’m no Stu, so we’ll see what he comes up with.

14. oilinblood says:

I trust Stu and i expect Larsson to play.
    Would you choose a Kane type centre or Doughty?
    Do you choose the guy who has played against men for 2 years already and played in numerous high profile tourneys. Who has played with some of your prized prospects already? A guy who is 6’3″ 2o0 and still growing? A guy who is a leader on his team and well respected (like Lander) by other Swedes even ones opposing him every night-players much older and advanced than him? A guy who has always been a top choice for this years draft and hasnt faultered at all if you take away his injuries? A guy who didnt get to pad his stats when the best talent in his league was borrowed for 8-10 games? A guy who actually made his nations team?
    RNH had the better year… up to the big games that is. *cough cough*

I dont even feel RNH is the best centre for the future. Theres 2 just in the top 10 NA rankings that i would choose as far better than him to draft.

Oh yeah… and hes RHD. need say more?

On a side note I am not hearing much talk about Huberdeau on this board… reminds me of Johansen last year. The kids plus minus is remarkable. He is also a big body and playoff performer (sniped a record number of playoff goals last year as a rookie)… he is already 5-7-12 after 4 games of the playoffs facing the toughest d pairing and checking lines every shift. A winner like Hall.
    The RNH thing is starting to really make me laugh. I dont even think the Oilers are worrying about RNH. How are Gags and Cogs adjusting to the NHl after 4 seasons? I expect though that the final rankings will have mr playoffs Huberdeau up in the top 3 so if we want to get him… we need to make a splash or use our 1st. To be honest I think Huberdeau is pretty even with Landeskog in my top 3 picks. Landeskog is more physically prepared by a fair margin and totally leaving RNH in the rear view in that regard. As far as talent Huberdeau is the man and he has the compete to rise. Looking at Huberdeaus frame I imagine the Combine will conclude that he can pack a tonne more weight onto that still growing body.
    I think it would take something like… Omark at the very least + LA 1st + EDM 31st to get a shot at Huberdeau come draft. He will be gone in the top 8 fo sho. I think you even consider moving Gags if it gets the job done. Hemsky i very much doubt will be traded. His value was likely highest at deadline until next season.
    For a goalie i would like taking a risk in Machovsky who might be available in rd 3. If hes there at rd 3 i think you grab him. This assumption of availability is based somewhat on present day value of goalies and expectation that skaters will be more coveted. Machovsky could be gone in the 1st round but i consider all the goalies risks in this draft so i wouldnt draft one until 3 or 4.
    Personally i think theres a chance to grab the Ottawa pick and move to 6 and then make deals from there if Stu wants. I just dont see Ottawa wanting to grow a new player if they can put in a guy like Omark or Gags now. They have Spezza Alfie and Michalek are locked up until the end of the world… which doesnt go well with full rebuild.

I’ve been on the RNH wagon for the last while, but I really think at this time we need a defender right now. I look at Sam Gagner, he showed some improvment again this season, and I think people are writing him off too early. Size is starting to become an issue with RNH for me at least. I think we need to be patient with Gagner, as he looked retty good with Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall this season, he might still be a good center for this team. Adam Larsson is a guy that would really help our defense out next season and would be a guy that is playing with people he knows (Omark, Paajarvi, Lander) and would be that first pairing guy that we have been looking for to play with Ryan Whitney.

I think, right now at least lol, that Larsson is the guy these Oilers need. Draft Larsson and add a good UFA defender in July, like Tampa did after they drafted Hedman. Again, I think we should be a little more patient with Gagner and maybe look to the free agent market for a guy that can help us at center, not a Brad Richards, but a guy good enough to play on the first line, or second line.

From what I can see it looks as though there will be another season of Oil Change…the description on this episode was the end of season 1, and it had a to be continued at the end so looks to me like we’ll see it again next year

That’s good to hear. It isn’t as good a series as the HBO Caps/Pens thing, of course, but it’s still cool, IMHO. Provides a little bit of insight here and there. Sure, it’s about whatever is on the Oilers agenda… but it still is good anyways.

18. Alan-NottsUK says:

ok just for the hell of it i’m going to try a trade prop for the first time ever.

LA’s 1st (19th overall)+ EDM 2nd(31st overall) + Foster + Omark for FLA 1st (3rd overall)

1st overall draft larsson.

av’s draft landeskog 2nd overall

3rd overall RNH

is this anywhere near what could be considered fair value both ways?

I also agree with everyone who wants another top 8 pick in this years draft but we have to remember we can’t trade two $10′s for one $20 bill. I’ll comment on this when I get back from lunch. :razz: And Wooh! Stamkos is finally getting me some points in the playoff pool.

Couturier goes before Hubredeau. There should be no question about that to me. Nothing against Hubredeau, but Couturier is better.

21. oilinblood says:

zackman35: OIB: I agree with you that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins shouldn’t be first overall and I wouldn’t complain if Stu and team chose Larsson as the first overall pick. However I disagree your choice with Huberdeau over Couturier. Huberdeau might have a bigger frame projection than RNH, I can see your point there but I think Couturier or Strome would be superior choices in my opinion. Huberdeau’s team has a good chance at making a championship run and his stats are a little inflated due to his teams offensive power. I’ve hopped on the Couturier bandwagon recently and I think I’ll stay on there. He’s battled Mono, missed a good chunk of games because of the world juniors and still put up impressive numbers offensively and has a decent plus minus considering the team he is on. Most importantly though he’s 6’4, 195lbs+. I also agree with everyone who wants another top 8 pick in this years draft but we have to remember we can’t trade two $10′s for one $20 bill. I’ll comment on this when I get back from lunch. And Wooh! Stamkos is finally getting me some points in the playoff pool.

I am in agreement. As I said before there are 2 centres in the top 10 rankings alone that i would place far ahead of RNH. I talked about Huberdeau because i was mentioning my surprise at the lack of discussion about him. Couts – the 2nd guy who is miles ahead of RNH at centre- always get mentioned because people who havent paid attention this year can easily revert back to last years talk (before people start flipping out thinking i am referring to this board– I am not. You go on to other boards and you know the speakers arent watching CHL every night. Instead they are just regurgitating tsn and sportsnet from last summer and the Canadian WJ camp. Im not saying thats the only reason he gets brought up but i know he is often brought up simply because he was mentioned last year and played at the WJC).
    I also, in my internal dialogue, make myself notice that Huberdeau is on a great team… but then i remember i held that against Hall who was on an Elite team for the ages – maybe one of the best CHL teams of all time. I have realized watching Hall that the winning and talent and expectations are something that not every player can deal with/handle. Hes a star player on a star team and was a star as a rookie as well…just like Hall. On a team of great talents he stands out and takes the reins.
    Certainly i look at Couts size but between the two i pick Huberdeau. Nevermind the fact that a few people have told me he will likely measure in at over 6’2″ at the combine since he has grown this year.
    In all honesty if we got Larsson + Huberdeau OR Couts… I will be giddy all summer.

Also I hate to feel like i am picking on a guy. RNH is a good, well spoken, thoughtful kid with slick skills. I just dont think he is even the most talented centre and certainly isnt the most prepared. Its like looking at the Canucks and thinking they won the presidents trophy so they are the best team ever. People might look deeper and see only 17 wins versus .500 teams. They also dont see the nucks did a great job padding stats in games that were done but really counted on their non-poster boys to win them the games where adversity was faced and the game was one of inches.
    Also not going to beat around the bush on this one, but you have to admit that all of the Nucks poster boys look like trannys with glued on facial hair (yeah i mean you lou and twisted sisters) with the track record of complete failure when times get hard. MAkes you think their entire franchise is crossdressing. One of the greatest days of the last few years as an oiler fan was knowing the Nucks locked up the sisters and Lou in unmovable contracts. We got a timeline here in edmonton and im quite comfortable at facing the cross dressers in 2 years when we are ready.

22. dawgtoy says:

If the Oil chose RNH first, and it would appear he is the consensus #1 at this time, the D I’d love to see here is Ryan Murphy. We’d need to likely get NJ’s fourth pick, but what an U18 tournament he just had. For those that don’t read Kirk Luedeke, you really should!
    “Ryan Murphy, D Canada- When you’ve been one of the most talked-about prospects for the top-10 of the NHL draft all season, is it actually possible to raise your stock? Well, the Aurora, Ontario native and Kitchener Rangers star did it in Germany. The production was record-setting in itself, but it was how Murphy scored the points that had tongues a-wagging. Whether firing up the ice like he had rockets on his skates, or slithering through defenses while showing off several gears and superlative edge control/balance or making 360-degree spin moves and blind passes on the stick tape of teammates, Murphy was as dynamic as they come. Bruins fans who were hoping he would fall to the ninth spot now can only hope that if he is Boston’s target, that the team can move up to secure him, because we just don’t see him dropping very far out of the top-five (if at all even) after the kind of season, OHL playoffs and now Under-18 performance he just had. In fact, B2011DW wouldn’t be at all surprised if the New Jersey Devils grabbed him as high as fourth overall. Sure, it will depend on who drops to them, but for a team who knew exactly what it had with Scott Niedermayer for over a decade, this kid’s high-end offensive chops aren’t far off.

From

I like Ryan Murphy. I think he’d be a bigger named prospect if he had the size. That’s the only concern there, as far as I’m concerned. I guess in that regard, and others, he reminds me a lot of Brian Campbell. Good offense, small size… occasionally shocks the heck out of you with a nice hit.

I definitely would sooner have Larsson over Murphy… however, if we’re picking RNH first, somehow landing Murphy with a second pick wouldn’t be bad at all (or Dougie Hamilton..).

24. oilinblood says:

MAB was like that

25. Ktown says:

Racki:

Well, Reese hasn’t texted me back, yet – so I don’t know how close my prediction will be… glad I’ve still got 2 months…

On a bit of a tangent, I’m pretty happy with Marincin signing his ELC… I got to see him a lot against the Rockets this year. He’s big, uses his reach. I didn’t notice him playing all too physical, but he plays on a D with Sena Acolatse and Jesse Forsberg who sort of overshadowed him on the physical side…

Reminds me a lot of Tyler Myers pre-WJC. Big kid, good size, just has to learn to use it appropriately, but overall, I think this kid is going to be pretty good for the Oil down the line…

oilinblood:
    MAB was like that

Yah that might be another comparison, but less flattering.

In more regards to free agency, TSN had their off-season game plan for the Oilers today, and mentioned th need for a few 3rd/4th line players and a top four defender. They listed Adam Hall and Marty Reasoner as two guys that can help out faceoffs and help the PK, I think Asham would be a good role player of us two, and adding two of them would really help. On defense they mentioned Milan Jurcina, Radek Martinek, and Jan Hejda as guys to come in and help out. Hard to argue too much with their list.

My question to you guys is what free agents stick out to you as guys that we should be targetting this summer? I’d love to hear what you think. (They mentioned they think it will be Nugent-hopkins first, but tossed Larsson in there too.)

28. dawgtoy says:

BO, I think I’d try to get Brooks Laich. He’ll be do for a rather large raise that Washington likely can’t afford. He instantly makes the Oilers harder to play against, and can score some, with Jonesy and maybe Harti….that’s my 2 cents anyway. I also love the idea of bringing Hejda back. Instantly solidifies our D. Might need to overpay a little to get them, but we can afford to right now.

Yeah Dawg, if Laich is willing to come, you have sign the guy. He is a good center and would help this team out and as you mentioned make them tougher to play against. I think Hejda is a perfect 2nd pairing guy for us and the exact thing we need right now if you ask me. Lets see if Steve agrees this summer.

So here is what I came up with for an ideal summer. Brooks Laich, give him a 3-year deal and make him part of your top 6. Give John Madden a 1-year deal to come in on the 4th line and dump Fraser for a late round pick. Give Mike Rupp a 2-year deal also, and thats it for adding free agent forwards.

On defense I like Hal Gill at a 2-year deal, good shut-down guy for the Oil, and I like Jan Hejda one a 1-year deal.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Paajarvi-Laich-Eberle
    Jones-Horcoff-Omark
    Hartski-Madden-Rupp
    JFJ

Whitney-Gill
    Hejda-Gilbert
    Peckham-Smid
    Petry

31. MetalOil says:

A few sources on twitter are saying that “It is a done deal” That Atlanta is moving to Winnipeg. Expect an announcement on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@kenwardskorner
    @RealKyper
    @dantencer

I also think the Wings will finally get their wish and move into the Eastern Conference now.

Weird. I just saw that now… I’m skeptical on that. Although I will say that Atlanta moving to Winnipeg is better for the league than Phoenix moving. I mean, Phoenix SHOULD still move… but I hope that they find a location out West also for them, as it would be nice to have more balance in the West and have less crazy-ass travel time for Western teams.

In all honesty.. I hope both teams are gone from the league and moved elsewhere.

If Atlanta moves, Nashville would slide into the East in the SE div… Winnipeg would go into the NW, and I’d say Minnesota then goes into the Central.

33. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Seattle would be the best fit IMO. There is a strong JR hockey market in Washington State with 4 teams in the WHL( Seattle, Everett, Tri City and Spokane) so the grassroots for the game have long been established. The Only question I have is in regards to their building. I know the Seattle SuperSonics of the NBA left because they could not get a new building but I heard that the NBA had an expansion franchise in waiting for Seattle once they got their new building. Not too sure what progress has been made on that front???

Yah Seattle’s a team that I kind of hoped for, just more for the sake that they would be a good location-fit, and they do have a good following there, what with the Thunderbirds and Chiefs and all. But yes, I am pretty sure that an arena would be a concern.

35. MetalOil says:

And then Vancouver could butt out of the Edmonton-Calgary rivalry and start a new one with their friends on the other side of the Straight of Georgia. Well there would probably still be some hate between the Alberta teams and the BC team I guess.