Monday Morning Standings – Round 2

By , April 28, 2011 8:36 am

Another Bond lady...

And no rest for the wicked…round 2 starts tonight!

Round 1 of these playoffs had to have been the most exciting since the legendary spring of ’06. Only thing that would have made it better was if Chi-town could have finished that amazing comeback. Round 2 will need to be epic to match that awesomeness…but with a Bruins/Flyers series and Red Wings/Sharks series it should be pretty good.

Anyways, I’ll try and force Racki to put up another prediction post, but if not I’m picking Detroit, Nashville, Washington and Philadelphia all in 6 games. In the last prediction post, I nailed the east (maybe missed the number of games here and there) but absolutely booted the west…maybe I should start watching more western conference games! Damn eastern biases.

EDITED BY RACKI: Since I’m too lazy to put up another prediction post, I will pick the following:
Predators in 6, Detroit in 6, Washington in 5, Philadelpha in 7… exactly what I went with in HL’s pool.

Nothing new on the Oilers front except for some picks being signed to ELC’s. Can’t wait for the draft.

Wait! Eberle and Dubnyk are playing for Canada at the WC. Eberle got a point in the exhibition against France while Dubnyk looked a little shaky from what I saw of the highlights. Lets go Canada!

The rest of the MMS:

In other league news, lots of suspensions and questionable hits this playoff round. I don’t know if it is just the fact that we are looking for it now, but I think this is the most suspensions in a playoff round that has been handed out ever (Kunitz, Downie, Ryan, Stoll, and Ruutu (does Cooke count); plus Torres, Lucic, Richards and Bickell all had close calls).

I also love how no one in Vancouver will ever have faith in Luongo ever again…even his coach. Well played Vigneault. Oh, and Gillis is a little whining bitch.

How awesome is Bolland…while out the Canucks (and Sedins) looked unstoppable…he comes in and single-handedly shuts them down while putting up mad points.

Penner didn’t have the greatest playoffs. Sometimes some players just work out for certain teams and not others…look how often the Oilers are on the other side of that trade. Maybe this shows how our luck is starting to turn?

Bobby Ryan goal…holy shit. Again, work sucks so I can’t link to it, but google it. Wow.

Datsyuk…his whole playoff series. Wow.

Ference gives the Habs fans the finger…awesome.

Bryzgalov hates Winnipeg. At least Edmonton won’t be the asshole of the league anymore. Thanks Winnipeg!

And finally (I think), the league signed a 2 billion dollar/10 year deal with NBC/Versus. This works out to 200 mil per year which is up from the 78 mil per of the current deal.

Some trophy nominations have been put out too:
Vezina:
- Luongo
- Rinne
- Thomas (My pick for winner, just because of the record season)
Masterton:
- Emery (My pick for winner)
- Laperriere
- Langkow
Norris:
- Lidstrom
- Chara
- Weber (My pick for winner…dude is a beast and that is one righteous beard already)
Byng:
- Lidstrom (my pick for winner…D never wins and Lidstrom deserves this year after year)
- St. Louis
- Eriksson
Selke:
- Toews (my pick for the win)
- Datsyuk
- Kesler
GM of the Year:
- Yzerman (My pick for winner)
- Gillis
- Poile
Calder:
- Couture
- Grabner
- Skinner (My pick for winner)

Now some pool news: Picks gotta be in for both Hemmerlady’s and the POTF sportsnet pools ASAP. Again, passwords for both are potf and the CBC one is called “Hemmerlady’s Pool”, and the Sportsnet one is just a group called Putting on the Foil.

Here are the standings for the pools so far (work sucks and considers both gambling/fantasy sports bad and block them so this is from my phone…any problems just let me know):

Sportsnet POTF:
Crott – 69 points (who is this?)
geaner33 – 68 points (again, who is this?)
Racki – 68 points
zackman35 – 67 points
hemmerlady – 66 points
BringBackKlima – 65 points
d0nkey_punch – 63 points
mrgod2u – 60 points
sln0069 (me) – 59 points (for future reference don’t pick Phoenix as an upset)
chuckerspuckers – 51 points

Hemmerlady’s Pool:
Zackman35 – 90 points
hemmerlady – 84 points
potf_steveo – 0 points (<- this is what happens when you miss the deadline people!)
M&O – 0 points
Racki – hasn’t joined yet cause he’s scared of losing

Oh, and the OKC Barons lost in 6 to Hamilton. Boooooo. Well at least Omark now can play for Sweden. However this playoff experience should be good for the kids that did go down.

Finally if I missed anything, or you want to help me out and link some vids just add to the comments.

92 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Round 2”

Nevermind, apparently Omark got hurt in the AHL playoffs and won’t play for sweden…well, according to twitter

This will be our prediction thread location for round 2… I added my predictions to Steve-O’s post, plus they are in Hemmerlady’s pool too.

3. MetalOil says:

Preds in 5
    Wings in 6

Caps in 7
    Bruins in 4

Need a new poll. I just hope the second round is as good as the first was. That was one of the best first rounds I can remember.

5. dawgtoy says:

Preds 6
    Wings 6
    Caps 6
    Bruins 7

6. dawgtoy says:

Preds 6
    Wings 7
    Caps 6
    Bruins 7

7. hemmerlady says:

How did I fall from Tied for 1st to 5th in one day? &^%$@#

Nuckleheads in 7 (despite my wishes to the contrary)
    Wings in 6
    TB in 7
    Philly in 6.

I made a bunch of quick picks in the SNET pool last night while delirious, just went to change them and missed the deadline by 2 mins. Screwed.

chucker:
    Need a new poll. I just hope the second round is as good as the first was.That was one of the best first rounds I can remember.

As you wish… Newwww poll up!

Crott is from the OMB, he does some analysis on rookies/prospects if my memory recalls correctly. I’m guessing he browses here from time to time. And Wooh! First in one pool, I need to claim my fame in both now…

10. hemmerlady says:

zackman35:

You are beating me in both pools so now you must die. (Fricken Habs)

Yah, Crott is good peeps ;)

And he seems to have a habit of sneaking in Sportsnet pools and kicking ass. Didn’t he do the same last year? lol

12. MetalOil says:

Jordan Eberle is up to his old Team Canada self !!!!
    Ebs Goal #1

Ebs Goal #2

Also: LOL @ Ryan Whitney on OTR today

My god Ebs is a stud lol.

Whitney was on a local radio station talking Bruins/Habs, did a great job with it, and he mentioned how he really thinks this team is going to turn the corner soon and how he loves it here. The Boston media guys were joking with him about being last place this season, but I think everyone even out here sees what this team can be. Whit is a funny guy tho, really like the interview he did. Can only find the part about the Bruins online tho.

Hey, this MMS must have been pre-typed up a while ago, because I am in HL’s pool, despite what this MMS seems to claim!

15. hemmerlady says:

I saw you signed up Racki. Steveo’s just bitter he didn’t make his picks in time (which I can identify with :( )

I’m waffling (hopefully not twatwaffleing) between Philly and Boston. Timmy T has an edge but Boucher played really well last round. I think I picked Philly in my Dad’s pool (for money; Dad puts in my share every year and if either of us wins we split the pot. The 06 cup run we picked the Oil of course, and made some serious cash).

Thats cool… What pool do you guys enter in?

17. hemmerlady says:

Racki:
    Thats cool… What pool do you guys enter in?

Just a non-specific inter-office pool in my hometown. Have no idea who runs it; probably some architect subtrades that are friends with my dad. Last year, I made such good first round picks they said to my Dad: “Did she really make her own picks, or did you pick them for her?” (!@#! How dare they question my hockey knowledge. HL was insulted.)

18. hemmerlady says:

Wooohoohoohoo! Preds win in 2OT!!

hemmerlady: Wooohoohoohoo! Preds win in 2OT!!

That was a great game, so glad the Canucks lost a heart breaker. GO PREDS GO!

Yah, great OT. I saw the 3rd period and onward. From what it sounds, Luongo played very well in the early stages of the game. But from what I saw, WOW was Rinne ever phenomenal in the OT periods. He made some incredible saves. I thought Vancouver had it wrapped up at least 3 times.

21. NorwegianOiler says:

Stunning performance by Rinne (and Luongo, save for the 1-1 goal) and a thrilling edgy game!

Still, NSH’s win was nowhere near as brilliant as Norway’s SO win over the Swedes ;) Pääjärvi got a point and was decent.

22. John says:

hemmerlady: Wooohoohoohoo! Preds win in 2OT!!

Yup very cool, especially since it was a nice goal on Lu, not a junkie one that Nucks fans can whine about & call it a flukey win;)

23. hemmerlady says:

and Racki surges ahead to 1st place in SNET pool! That’s quite a comeback.

OHHELLYES!

hemmerlady:
    and Racki surges ahead to 1st place in SNET pool! That’s quite a comeback.

What was that you were saying Hemmerlady? :razz:

At this stage, I’m sure it will change hands a number of times.

27. hemmerlady says:

zackman35: What was that you were saying Hemmerlady?

Update: @both Zackman and Racki, and whoever the leader is tomorrow (probably not me):
    Of course you know this means war

28. hemmerlady says:

TB up 3-0 against the Caps…..WTF.

My “sleeper” cup winners this year were Anaheim and TB. I was wrong on Anaheim… but I still think the Lightning have a very good playoff team. Of course, it helps that the Caps haven’t shown up.

30. hemmerlady says:

I’m cool wit dat. In my dad’s pool, I picked TB to go to the cup final. Yeah don’t know what the Caps are up to.

31. MetalOil says:

Poor Jordan getting rejected on national TV :(
    Maybe he can try that Cougar dating site i mentioned a while back :)

MetalOil: Poor Jordan getting rejected on national TV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFn-jXPl_o&feature=player_embeddedMaybe he can try that Cougar dating site i mentioned a while back

ahahahaha saw that on NHL network this morning and I found it quite funny. Nice to see him lighting up to tourny tho and playing well.

33. MetalOil says:

Well this article about Omark is a refreshing change:

““I’d like to take the whole season with me,” Omark said. “I started the season (in OKC) and my goal when I went over here was to play NHL but (Edmonton) sent me (to OKC). I’m actually really, really glad for that because I learned a lot (in OKC)”

Finally saying the right things and it partially puts some of the uneasiness I felt about Omark to rest.

Those would be the things I would have hoped to have heard earlier on!

35. MetalOil says:

I am just glad that in hindsight he has realized that it was the best thing for him at the time. Now hopefully he can use this revelation as an example to use his noggin before he speaks when he does not get his way.

He’ll be a very good Oiler. With Lander over hear next year, he’ll have another buddy as well. Maybe Larsson too? :o

37. oilinblood says:

she reminds me of the girl in the elevator with Jim Carey in Liar Liar. (but unlike the girl on the elevator this girl straddles a hockey stick)

Is Barry Trotz saying the Canucks act, dive, embellish, whine, and basically make the officiating a joke? Hmmm. NAhhhh, cant be. As has been made clear by the GM of Vancouver… a bad call against the canucks is proof of a conspiracy against canadian hockey (even though they arent canadian and most canadians dont give a crap about them but will fly to Van to riot should they win). No need to get into what flights i may or may not book in june… nor the intention of those trips.

Anywho. Got a couple questions, since i havent watched much of the NHL games recently.

Ottawa. Does it make much sense to have Spezza anymore? Ottawa has said the R word. They must realize that Edmonton did a partial rebuild attempt for 3 worthless years before they went full out and gutted the team. Once the team went full out they had a 3 year time line to being competitive and 5 years to challenging (keep in mind the partial rebuilds have sped things up for edmonton getting eberle gags and MPS.) If they are rebuilding properly Spezza should be traded for picks etc.
    Im not a huge Spezza fan but im not a hater – as long as the second centre is a two way guy.
    To me the market value is terrible for most of our players. Hemsky has had both shoulders re-done, is a UFA after next year and hasnt played much in 2 seasons. Thinking realistically Hemsky might be worth a 2nd rounder. I think Gags is the most valuable/attractive chip that has the possibility of being used as bait in trade.
    Apparently the rumors are that Ottawa is inquiring about our 1st. From a marketing standpoint i can see their need. Drafting a defenceman first overall isnt sexy. The oilers can get away with it because they grabbed Hall 1st overall, and Eberle and Magnum are both panning out. Ottawa chose a solid Dman in Phillips 1st overall once and know there is really no sexy way to spin it. “Hey heres our pick, a steady dman.” No way to make that sexy. So IF Ottawa got 1st over all my bet is they dont pick Larsson – so they pick a fresh faced centre (by the sounds of it Couts is their man who they could possibly get at 6th but 1st would be monumental in marketing). Larsson doesnt get past Colorado though. If Larsson is available at 2 Colorado grabs him and laughs all the way to dressing him on the opening night roster.
    So if Murray indeed has been on the phone with Tambi about aquiring the top pick… Cowens name has to be involved. The Oilers had wanted David Rundblad in the past until Magnum fell into their lap at 10th. The present shape of the Oilers organization dictates though that Cowen may fill the role most needed moving forward. As i stated last summer on OMB, Rundblad was a major score by Murray last summer. He has since leap frogged Cowen as the organizations top prospect in many eyes. This may have made Cowen more available when combined with Phillips re-signing and the play of some bright young dmen already in the fold.

My opinion on the rumor is that we dont give up first without getting the 6th and Cowen as a starting point. At 6th we can grab Huberdeau or Couts. I think passing on Larsson is pretty rediculous though. Journalist friends of mine from school say that Spezza indeed doesnt fit the picture in Ottawa and they (Murray/sens) know it. IF Ottawa gets 1st ovrall they dont need Spezza as poster boy. I am not crazy about aquiring him and apparently neither are the Oilers (has a clause so he would need to agree). Dealing Spezza for the 1st isnt going to happen but if Spezza is thrown in for an additional package of Gags, and 31st – and we pick up that big contract… then maybe talks will include Spezza.

Another caller to Tambi is Columbus who is shopping their pick. I doubt the Oilers trade Hemsky, they seem to want to have his babies, but Columbus might be interested in him as a ppg player. Columbus would have to understand that a ppg player would never be traded for 8th UNLESS there were issues… which is what Hemsky is chock full of as a very unhealthy soon-to-be UFA.
    Here is another thing (and i will point out that i think Spezza is softer than hemsky) if you are going to trade Hemmer would it not be wise to get a spezza, and vice versa? I am luke warm on Spezza and hate his contract, but if the plan is to get him than it makes little sense to keep Hemmer since you are aquiring a hemsky who plays pivot instead of RW. If you move Hemmer than i dont see a better replacement than a Spezza type in the pivot position. On positioning alone i would take that trade off even with the huge change in cost cap wise.
    So in boredom one thinks most of the top 15 picks will stay the same but there are rational deals to be made with the few picks being shopped and the few approaches being shown on the phones leading up to the draft.

A few extra thoughts
    Anyone in their 20s will remember how empty Ottawa home games look when they dont have a posterboy.
    Columbus wont be helped over the hump by a junior player picked at 8th… but Hemsky on Nashes wing?

38. hemmerlady says:

Tampa sweeps the Caps. Whatwhaaaat?

Too many eurodanglers. Semin and Backstrom were horrible, not that Greene was any better to me. Boudreau gets the axe for sure. Not entirely his fault, but none the less, he shall be canned.

Also, the iPad app, I cannot quote or edit. No option shows for edit and when I touch quote nothing happens.

41. MetalOil says:

Honestly I think MacT would be the perfect fit in Washington next season.

42. John says:

chucker: I think this has been a huge learning year for Omark. He seems to suffer from being brutally honest and, yes, a little cocky, but I like his attitude. I don’t want that to change as it’s his edge in my view. I’m sure he really learned a lot in the playoff drive too. NA game is way different and there are no soft spots on the ice, especially in the playoffs. He’s not a soft player at all, but I think it’s good for him to see how tough the guys get in the playoffs.He’ll be a very good Oiler. With Lander over hear next year, he’ll have another buddy as well. Maybe Larsson too?

I agree, he’s good enough (so far) to put up with the attitude, which I believe is actually just confidence. That is an attribute that will be a huge positive once playoffs come into the picture!

43. John says:

hemmerlady: Tampa sweeps the Caps. Whatwhaaaat?

ROLI, ROLI, ROLI… loving it! :P

chucker:

I’ll try it on OG’s iPad when she is back, but I suspect there isn’t much I can do about it. WordPress (the software this blog is based on) doesn’t even actually have a quote or edit functionality, or even mobile version (well, actually I think that may have changed recently). All these things are add ons that were written by other 3rd parties. So I’m kind of at the mercy of whatever they do.

The edit addon is actually based on a language called “AJAX”. I have read that iPad’s have some issues with that.. which sucks :( Not much I can really do there.

Anyways, thanks for bringing it up, but unfortunately that stuff will likely not change. You might have to switch to the non-mobile version to edit/quote (which I realize is a pain in the ass).

I’m surprised the quote doesn’t work though.

Well I think its safe to say I won’t be going to another Bruins game. The fans are pretty classless there. Last night my younger brother wanted to see his flyers so we went in, and after the game we were attacked. He never said anything (mainly because I told him not too, its not worth it) and we had things thrown at us, people getting in his face and mine also. I ended up getting into it with one guy who decided to come face to face with my brother and I went at him. There was an older man in his late 70′s on a cane wearing an old flyers hat, real nice guy and they were throwing stuff at him. They guy is almost 80 and they are throwing stuff at him.

I have no respoect for a fanbase like that, personally it sucks t ohave to say I’m from a city with such classless scum like that. There are lines you don’t cross. Its ok to tell someone Flyers suck or something, but to get in their face and throw stuff at them, especially at an older age, and in my brother’s case a younger age, its way out of line and wrong. I just want to point that out as I think its an issue that shouldn’t be happening at a game. I had little respect for the Bruins to start with, I now have none.

MetalOil:
    Honestly I think MacT would be the perfect fit in Washington next season.

I think he might be able to push that team to the next level…but as chucker said, too many players didn’t get the job done. Mac-T can push smart systems and get a lot out of players, however he doesn’t react well to players that don’t try. Not saying backstrom or semin didn’t try (I’d take either of them on my team any day).

oilinblood: First… if someone is delaying MMS because they havent picked out the winning cover girl yet…

Steve-O: I think he might be able to push that team to the next level…but as chucker said, too many players didn’t get the job done.Mac-T can push smart systems and get a lot out of players, however he doesn’t react well to players that don’t try.Not saying backstrom or semin didn’t try (I’d take either of them on my team any day).

Honestly, I think MacTavish’s kind of team isn’t Washington.. it’s more like the Predators. Knows how to get the most out of players that have the right attitudes and work ethic. I also thought he would be a fantastic AHL coach… no insult implied… but given that this isn’t exactly moving up in the world, I couldn’t see him ever taking it.

Steve-O: solid investigative work…one thing that drives me crazy though is if they have her wearing eagle gloves than give her more than a 20 dollar stick!as for the next mms, i was thinking of waiting until the second round ends (which should be pretty soon it looks like), although I might be in mexico for that so Racki or Trogdor will have to handle it

Wasn’t really looking at that with the massive camel toe and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBIGwtyqBhA