GDT Oilers 4, Canucks 1 – Game 78 – 2011-04-02 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks
logo AT logo
23-43-11 Record 52-17-9
Location: Rogers Arena
Date: April 2, 2011 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV:CBC

If there is a game where the Oilers should get spanked, this is it. The Oilers take on the 1st overall Canucks tonight at Rogers Arena. The Canucks have dominated the series thus far, winning all 4 games, although 3 of those games were 1 goal games (the most recent one was a 6-1 disaster). The Canucks are on a 5 game winning streak, while the Oilers have struggled to win a game in their last 11. I can’t see tonight being the night where they break out of the slump.

Prediction: 6-0 Canucks

VERY GUESSTIMATED LINES

Reddox Brule Eberle
Omark Cogliano Hartikainen
MacIntyre O’Marra Jacques
Pajaarvi Vande Velde Jones

Smid Gilbert
Vandermeer Petry
Peckham Foster

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

LIVE CHAT

Closed.. please use the comments section.

20 Responses to “GDT Oilers 4, Canucks 1 – Game 78 – 2011-04-02 @ 8:00 PM MST – CBC”

Dubnyk starts, and Foster is back in, Strudwick out.

On another note, does anyone know what’s going on with Erik Gudbranson?

zackman35: Is Storts the only one that dropped the mitts with the other teams? And the AHL Oilers handed it to the Nucks in preseason, here’s hoping they can do it again.On another note, does anyone know what’s going on with Erik Gudbranson?

Last I heard him and Florida couldn’t agree on a contract.

So the Oilers take on the 1st overall and if they lose, pretty much as expected, they clinch the last overall. Yay. As someone on HF pointed out, pretty much 2 teams playing for nothing, but at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Tonight we clinch. Yay team. :/

Hell of a game tonight. I don’t care about “officially” clinching 30th.. it’s definitely ours. It was good to see the Oilers play their asses off. I was surprised that Doobie faced as many shots as he did though, as it looked to me like the Oilers were controlling most of the game. Doobie played great though, and the Oilers found some holes in the Canucks D tonight. Omark was fantastic tonight, as was Hartikainen. Cogliano can’t seem to put the easiest of shots in, but he played a good game too. I even thought Vande Velde was very good tonight too.

grr… possibly another injury.

Per Joanne Ireland of the EJ:

#Oilers defenceman Ladislav Smid left Vancouver with a walking boot on his left foot.

Edit: now per Elliot Friedman:

Brule not feeling right, further evaluation after game

8. Ktown says:

The wife asked me a while ago, “do you want to get tickets for the Oilers game in Vancouver?”. Me, “nah. Thats a four hour drive just to get pissed off”. Oh well. Being wrong has never felt so good.

9. NorwegianOiler says:

In fairweather fashion I’ll crawl out of the cave to say that last night’s performance was a refreshing change of scenery. It’s been a long time since we’ve outplayed another team, let alone a good one. The Canucks took a night off, but the youngsters were there to capitalize at least. Omark, Harski and Pääjärvi were sure fun to watch – and more solid performances from players like Vandevelde and Cogliano was nice. I wish these players could carry over their play to the START of next year, not half-way in to the season as I expect them to.

The Edmonton summer hibernation that lasts into December is what I fear most for next year. :D

In other news, I am excited to see how the Leafs and Flames fare (fail) in their attempts to get into the playoffs.

10. Ktown says:

Holy crap… For you Edmonton-based folk, I’m hoping you don’t have to put up with the crap I’ve heard over the last 16 hours here in BC. I thought there were haters when the Nucks have trounced us, but they’re coming out of the woodwork in droves today. I guess a little comeupance doesn’t sit well here in BC.

I’m not sure what’s funnier though – the remarks that this was the Oilers’ SCF game, or the “it doesn’t matter – the Nucks are winning the Cup”. Yikes… 3 of the last 10 President’s Trophy winners have actually gone on to win the cup, but out here in BC they’re already planning the parade.

I’m honestly going to have a hard time keeping my mouth shut if the Nucks go down early in the playoffs…

11. Alan-NottsUK says:

Well that was awesome, over in Edmonton now, watching the Oil destroy the Canucks from glass seats was beautiful

12. hemmerlady says:

Brilliant. So satisfying to see our Timbits beat the hell out of those overconfident Canucks. I so much look forward to rubbing this in the face of a Nucks fan at work tomorrow. Last week he said “So are you looking forward to the playoffs?” My reply was, “We’ll see if you can make it past the second round this year.”

@KTown: It is pretty funny to hear everyone already talking about how the Cup is in the bag for Vancouver. I’m not feelin’ it this year. I’m hoping for some second or third round exit redemption. :)

13. Ktown says:

hemmerlady:

I’ve got a pool, but you’ve probably got a better “Fuck You” venue in Van…

14. NorwegianOiler says:

Alan-NottsUK:
    my photos from the game

Nice. Great timing on the win ;)

Is Torres giving you the stink eye in one of the photos?

Alan-NottsUK:
    my photos from the game

Damn, you weren’t kidding about having front row seats :P Great game to watch.. looks like you have some sort of luck.

16. Alan-NottsUK says:

well if the Oilers win the next 2 games i guess you’ll all have to chip in to bring me back next year haha

it would make the Oilers 4-0-0 when i attend…

17. hemmerlady says:

Ktown: So, HL – When the Nucks are dusted in the second round – who’s throwing the party – you or me?

I’ve got a pool, but you’ve probably got a better “Fuck You” venue in Van…

You’re on.
    I don’t have a pool (I don’t have a pup tent)…basement suite. But being in a Vancouver bar when Chicago ousts them would be beyond sweet.
    I’ve been out at a local watering hole when the Nucks lost, and I cheered – I sure got some glares. :D

18. victoriaoilerfan says:

chucker: Last I heard him and Florida couldn’t agree on a contract.

You probably have read this piece regarding Grabs. but just in case:

victoriaoilerfan: You probably have read this piece regarding Grabs. but just in case:http://www.openicehockey.com/index.php/archives/4543He was really unimpressive to me at the WJC but if you read this it sounds like the Frotenacs are not the ideal AHL team to be developing with.

Doesn’t sound like he’s in the right place at all. Pretty crappy track record there with both Stewarts too.