A Quick Salute to PJ Stock

By , April 9, 2011 12:22 am
PJ, starting the chainsaw on Henry

PJ, starting the chainsaw on Henry

PJ Stock is one of my favorite fighters of all time. The thing I liked most about him is he was all offense, fought guys who are much much bigger than him, and generally did really well. He’s definitely one of those “best pound for pound” guys, and a real treat to watch. His fighting style was all out. He forced guys to throw away any notions of defense and just start chucking as fast as they can, or they’d eat several shots before even getting a block in. I think he also adds a hell of a lot of personality to CBC’s intermission broadcasts too, for a guy who just relays game highlights.

I stumbled on some good footage of him from a while back where he was interviewed in length and talked about his fighting. It also has a tribute video to him afterwards (complete with awful music choice) so you can catch more of his fights. Pretty cool.

Anyways, here is the video of the rabid pitbull:

6 Responses to “A Quick Salute to PJ Stock”

To be honest I thought that PJ Stock was always kinda of a gomer but eventually he grew on me and now I like him. It was only until a month or two ago I figured out he was a fierce fighter. They showed a clip on CBC with him fighting a Penguin, I looked him up and boom!

Respect to PJ Stock, I wish we could have a player like him on our fourth line next year. Last nights game was pretty entertaining, too bad I missed the entertaining part… looks like Smac finally lost it.

Yeah, gay music for sure. One thing I must note, THAT is pretty much how every fight Buchberger was ever in went. PJ dropped him pretty easily in that video.

As far as him on CBC, I think he’s one of the good young talents on there. I sure wish they’d start looking for some better play by play guys to do the late games though.

@Zack: Yah I kind of figured a lot of people that watch CBC probably had no clue who Stock was, that’s part of the reason I thought I’d throw a post up. Good little scrapper. His career got cut short though due to a bad eye injury suffered in the AHL.

@Chucker: Yah Buchberger was often a punching bag. Reminds me of some of Don Jackson’s fights (although he was a bleeder, so sometimes his fights looked worse).

Don’t you hate it when that chainsaw just won’t start?

5. oilinblood says:

I always liked the guy. My old cable back in the day had channels out of Boston, Chicago and Atlanta. Chicago thanks to BW had no Hawks games, the Atlanta channel had Braves games and car racing (i hate baseball) but the Boston channel had probably 1/3 of the Bruins season games. They were more convenient to watch than even oiler games because i could watch after class, eating my supper and studying while not having to stay up late to see the conclusion (student “late”).

Hes similar build as me, most vulnerable when at a distance. Once he gets inside he is at a huge advantage as long as he protects his chin and keeps his arms active or up. If I was a bigger guy Id want to distance myself before throwing my gloves off and get him into that dangerous zone. It would be interesting to see his strategy to making up that ground in some fights. Size and weight difference doesnt make too much of an advantage if PJ can start the fight close and inside (unless the fighter starts throwing Body shots which i had never seen anyone do IN HOCKEY until big Mac–which is great strategy for Mac).

Yah I always thought it funny when old hockey games would have a “body shot” option in hockey fights… like “have you guys even watched hockey before??”. Now Mac does it. I am pretty sure he had Brandon Prust pissing blood for weeks after his fight in ’08 (for the hit on Boyd). One day MacIntyre will be seen as an innovator.. well, unless fighting is gone from hockey. lol